PDA

View Full Version : Shank, can you shed some light on this?

Findog
03-19-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/032008dnspomavslede.2ec3d9f.html

Stressful times, these.

And not just for players.

The latest example of tension came after the Mavericks' 102-100 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, when owner Mark Cuban and coach Avery Johnson had a heated exchange shortly after the game, according to two sources.

The Mavericks had fallen behind by 21 at halftime and 25 in the third quarter before making a comeback. Afterward, an apparent heat-of-the-moment argument happened in Johnson's office.

Both Johnson and Cuban downplayed the incident Wednesday, saying it was nothing out of the ordinary and there were no lingering problems. Johnson dismissed the situation, saying: "Everything's good."

Nevertheless, the Mavericks clearly are reeling after the humbling loss to the Lakers.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/032008dnspomavslede.2ec3d9f.html

Stressful times, these.

And not just for players.

The latest example of tension came after the Mavericks' 102-100 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, when owner Mark Cuban and coach Avery Johnson had a heated exchange shortly after the game, according to two sources.

The Mavericks had fallen behind by 21 at halftime and 25 in the third quarter before making a comeback. Afterward, an apparent heat-of-the-moment argument happened in Johnson's office.

Both Johnson and Cuban downplayed the incident Wednesday, saying it was nothing out of the ordinary and there were no lingering problems. Johnson dismissed the situation, saying: "Everything's good."

Nevertheless, the Mavericks clearly are reeling after the humbling loss to the Lakers.

That right there is great news, it's time for that dude to go

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:14 PM
I feel bad for Avery, I think he's a good guy, he's just in over his head and buckling under the pressure.

SAtown
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
And who would replace him?

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
And who would replace him?

Del Harris would be the easiest and most cost-effective choice. You may think of him as some retread, but what the Mavs need most in a coach is common sense and somebody who's not a tyrant. Avery overcoaches and outsmarts himself, and he has an ego to boot. Del is none of those things.

Rick Carlisle and JVG are available. Larry Brown is living at Del Boca Vista and eating dinner at IHOP at 4 in the afternoon.

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:21 PM
I could also see Donnie coming from out of the office to the sidelines. He's coached before, just not at the head level.

ducks
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
suns coach

ducks
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Rick Carlisle is going to go to the suns if kerr has brains

SAtown
http://www.nba.com/coachfile/del_harris/?nav=page

It seems like Del Harris is much more effective in the Assistant Coach position.

"During his time with the Mavericks, the team has posted an impressive 355-157 (.693) record. In three of the last four seasons, he has been voted as the top assistant coach in the league in the annual General Manager’s poll."

If Dallas can get a level-headed coach with recent playoff success (like Larry Brown), I'm sure they would be well off.

ChuckD
Del Harris would be the easiest and most cost-effective choice. You may think of him as some retread, but what the Mavs need most in a coach is common sense and somebody who's not a tyrant. Avery overcoaches and outsmarts himself, and he has an ego to boot. Del is none of those things.

Rick Carlisle and JVG are available. Larry Brown is living at Del Boca Vista and eating dinner at IHOP at 4 in the afternoon.
If you want someone with common sense and who's not a tyrant, stay the FUCK away from Larry Brown. Del isn't either of those things. Unfortunately, the things he is are THE retread (not just a retread) and a "run in place" kind of guy. He took the Shaq/Kobe duo and basically did nothing with them. He's also 70 years old. No shit. He's had that white hair forever, so you forget that this guy was coaching in the NBA in the 70s, well, OK, he started in the 79-80 season.

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
If you want someone with common sense and who's not a tyrant, stay the FUCK away from Larry Brown. Del isn't either of those things. Unfortunately, the things he is are THE retread (not just a retread) and a "run in place" kind of guy. He took the Shaq/Kobe duo and basically did nothing with them. He's also 70 years old. No shit. He's had that white hair forever, so you forget that this guy was coaching in the NBA in the 70s, well, OK, he started in the 79-80 season.

I'm not going to hold his NY stint against him. Larry Brown outcoached Phil Jackson in a playoff series. If we were to play the Lakers in the first round, I'd cringe every time they did a split screen of Phil Jackson and Avery. LB has no problem with guys who work hard and want to win, and that's a big portion of our roster. He traditionally clashes with guys who think they can get by on talent alone.

ducks
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
larry brown and cuban would not get along to big of ego's

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
larry brown and cuban would not get along to big of ego's

Long-term, no. But since our window for a title doesn't currently have a shelf life past the 08-09 season, it's worth a shot. If Riley or Nellie had had a choice, they would've taken our roster in those series. That's how bad Avery got worked over.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-20-2008, 01:11 AM
For some reason I want Coach Westphal to coach this team. He seems like he would be good for this group of guys. Coach Westphal or Coach Del Harris would be good imo

monosylab1k
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
It's times like these that I hate having Mark Cuban as an owner. I'm sure nearly every owner who is watching their team suck has marched into the coach's office and given him a tongue-lashing. The fact that it's Mark Cuban is the only reason this shit is being reported.

I'm as big a critic of Avery as anybody, but this is just media sensationalism here. Mark Cuban does what every other owner in his position would do, and it gets reported like this. Would any other owner be happy with the team right now?

At least Cuban gives a shit, unlike Perot. But if he wouldn't sit courtside screaming at the refs all game long, then we wouldn't see absolute crap news like this reported.

1Parker1
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Avery's problem is he's a micromanager. He's too uptight and that forces the players to be uptight.

Shank
03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry. Just got here. A lot of Rainbow Six last evening.

As far as the bickering between the two, this is not the first time there's been an explosion like this. One of the parties involved hates the other's guts but doesn't let that get in the way of him doing his job and having his team prepared (well, sometimes) to play the game. Hasn't anyone noticed the separation between Avery and Cuban, even in the media? You ever see them together before games? Quoted side-by-side on TV? Anything think they hang out together and hit up Snuffer's on the weekends?

As for this blow-up, I wasn't near so I can't say for certain what was said but I'd imagine it was some sort of a coaching suggestion from Cuban that Avery obviously didn't agree with. They do bicker a lot, but they keep it behind closed doors and maintain some semblance of a friendship when in public view. Think of it as your parents after 20+ years of marriage - they fight all the time but they look all happy when friends and family come over. They both want to choke the shit out of each other, but there's just enough love between them to prevent them from doing so.

Shank
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Also, Larry Brown doesn't want to return to the NBA. Hates it and doesn't like the schedule or having to deal with the egos of the players. He'd rather return to college, if given the choice.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Big egos, little lockerroom. It has probably happened plenty of times before this. No biggie.

And Findog, is that a Koresh avatar?

Findog
03-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Big egos, little lockerroom. It has probably happened plenty of times before this. No biggie.

And Findog, is that a Koresh avatar?

Indeed it is.

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:11 AM
there's just enough love between them to prevent them from doing so.

So what you're saying is that there is professional respect for each other and they generally try to let the other do their jobs, i.e. coach the team and run the team, although their personalities may not mesh well?

ludda
03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
When I watched the Mavs-Lakers game, I was amazed how much Avery was raving on the sidelines, calling everything, like a freakin babysitter. I never noticed to what extent before. What was the point of the Kidd trade if Avery isn't going to let him the floor leader that he is? Seems like that's the biggest problem right there, if the coach doesn't even trust his own PG.

Gino
03-20-2008, 01:32 PM
What about Paul Silas?

Findog
03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
What about Paul Silas?

He's reputed to be a players coach, which is probably what this team needs right now. If things are as bad as the reports make it out to be, he might as well fire Avery now and not wait until May. When you have bad chemistry and the coach has lost the team, right or wrong it's time to make a change.

Findog
03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
When I watched the Mavs-Lakers game, I was amazed how much Avery was raving on the sidelines, calling everything, like a freakin babysitter. I never noticed to what extent before. What was the point of the Kidd trade if Avery isn't going to let him the floor leader that he is? Seems like that's the biggest problem right there, if the coach doesn't even trust his own PG.

I sat behind the Mavs bench at the home game against the Kings. Avery never sits down, he's always barking shit out. Wanna know why the Mavs don't run as much as they should? Because Kidd is constantly looking back at the Mavs bench while Avery calls a play. These guys are not 7th graders. They don't need their hands held constantly. Just let 'em play, Kidd is a floor general after all and knows what to do most of the time.

I was wondering if this was unusual or if I was letting preconcieved notions or biases affect my perception, so I made a point to watch Reggie Theus for a while to see how he coached his team. Not nearly as animated or a drill instructor, and he coaches a team with a lot more younger players that don't know how to win in this league. I swear to God, Avery coaches like they're a 20-win lottery squad that needs to be spoonfed directions.