PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys score your brackets?

T Park
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
me and my dad and uncle are doing a bracket contest for the first time this year, and im setting it up, we've already filled out the brackets before today, I just need to know, what do you guys think is the easiest way to score the bracket?

I've heard first round 1 point, second 2, third 4, 4th 8, 5th 16.

Anyone got an easier system?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!!

SrA Husker
03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I like 1/2/4/8/16 with 3 bonus points for each upset you pick.

K-State Spur
03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I like 1/2/4/8/16 with 3 bonus points for each upset you pick.

ours is pretty similar, although we also award a 5 point bonus for getting the entire first round in a region correct.

and our bonus for upsets is equal to the difference in the seeds for that game. for example, a 9 over an 8 is a 1 point bonus, while a 12 over a 5 is a 7 point bonus.

SrA Husker
03-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Not a bad system. Could get confusing though.

K-State Spur
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
absolutely.

i admit, i have a computer program that runs everything.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-20-2008, 11:55 PM
ours is pretty similar, although we also award a 5 point bonus for getting the entire first round in a region correct.

and our bonus for upsets is equal to the difference in the seeds for that game. for example, a 9 over an 8 is a 1 point bonus, while a 12 over a 5 is a 7 point bonus.

Our work league is that way, but you just get the win plus the team's seeding.

So if a 1 seed wins in the first round, it's worth 2 points (1 for the win in the first round, 1 for the seed). If a 16 seed were to win, it would be worth 17 (1 for the first round, 16 for their seed).

1 pt first round winner
2 pt second round winner
4 pt Sweet 16 winner
8 pt Elite 8 winner
16 pt Final Four winner
32 Championship game winner

plus the seed number as bonus points.

sa_butta
03-21-2008, 07:17 AM

So if a 1 seed wins in the first round, it's worth 2 points (1 for the win in the first round, 1 for the seed). If a 16 seed were to win, it would be worth 17 (1 for the first round, 16 for their seed).

1 pt first round winner
2 pt second round winner
4 pt Sweet 16 winner
8 pt Elite 8 winner
16 pt Final Four winner

plus the seed number as bonus points.same but with no bonuses and tie breaker is total points of championship game.

MajorMike
03-21-2008, 07:57 AM
I had a great overall day. I did miss 5 games but in none of those games did I have the winner picked to advance again, so my 1st half of the Sweet 16 is still alive.

I picked BYU and BU in 2 B12 misses and picked Zona, UK and Geo Mason upsets. I did get the KSU game. So out of my 5 upsets I got 1 right and missed the atm upset. In ever instance I had the team I picked losing next game anyway (BYU/atm losing to UCLA, BU/Purdue to Xavier, Zona/WV to Duke, UK/Marq to Stanf, GM/ND to Wazzu). Therefore even tho I didn't do well as a round I did well as a bracket.

I think my only upset today St Joe's over uo (and I don't have THAT winner advancing vs L'ville). I can't remember how I picked Clemson/Nova (someone go in the bracket challenge and tell me; I can't get yahoo at work).

Looking back, I wish I had picked St Mary's over Miami.

T Park
03-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys, for the help, yeah were gonna score it the easiest way possible since this is our first year doing it.

johngateswhiteley
03-21-2008, 12:26 PM

1 pt first round winner
2 pt second round winner
4 pt Sweet 16 winner
8 pt Elite 8 winner
16 pt Final Four winner

plus the seed number as bonus points.

that type of system is best, imo...it needs to be weighted. i hate the 1,2,4,8 bullshit...you should get rewarded for having the insight.