PDA

View Full Version : DAL's problem.............it's Avery

DazedAndConfused
03-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow I have never seen a coach micromanage a game to the extent that Avery does. Every single offensive possession is controlled by him, the players just look lost out there half the time trying to follow his direction. He clearly has no clue how to run an offense effectively, players need to be given a certain amount of freedom out there so they don't become predictable. Also, a little freedom gives them the confidence to operate when things don't go as planned.

Kidd is a great PG, Dirk is great, Howard is good, Stack can still hit, the bench is decent, there is no reason why DAL shouldn't be a top WC team. If Avery isn't fired in the offseason the Mavs might as well rebuild now.

ducks
03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
howard wanted no part of that outside shot and it messed up that o possession of mavs

and spur fans wanted this guy

Gino
03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Josh Howard is one of the best all around SF in the game.....don't over-react.

Gino
03-20-2008, 09:59 PM
When did this "Avery is an over-coacher" cliche catch on?

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
never wanted the ball in fourth is bad for dallas because dirk is a pussy

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2008, 10:01 PM
When did this "Avery is an over-coacher" cliche catch on?

When his ego took over

He also has worse substitution patterns than Pop.

I see AJ getting fired this May, and the Mavs being a top 3 team again next season.

confined
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
never wanted the ball in fourth is bad for dallas because dirk is a pussy

Doesn't know how to talk because you're a fucking idiot

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
When his ego took over

I see AJ getting fired this May, and the Mavs being a top 3 team again next season.
who coaching rick?

Holmes_Fans
03-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I read that Cuban was staring down Avery during the LA game. No way he is around next season unless we win it all. He is not helping this team win games, all he does it get technicals

ducks
When his ego took over

if players can not listen to their coach their ego's must be bigger then their coaches

Amuseddaysleeper
who coaching rick?

good question.

I think Rick Carlisle would be an ideal choice.

I also hear Del Harris's name pop up as a possible replacement, should it come down to that.

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
did aj and kerr get along?
if so you can expect aj with suns next year

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
if players can not listen to their coach their ego's must be bigger then their coaches

I don't think it's so much the player's issue as it is that AJ is too stubborn to recognize his own faults. I mean, you're better off asking the Mav fans what their issues are with Avery, as they watch a hell of a lot more Dallas games than I do, but it just seems like AJ refuses to take any of the blame (like not putting Kidd in the final minute of the SA game).

I think he his holding Kidd back if anything, it really seems like Kidd gets the shaft from Avery quite often, which is very odd.

Amuseddaysleeper
did aj and kerr get along?
if so you can expect aj with suns next year

:lol and maybe D'antoni to the Mavs

ducks
I read that Cuban was staring down Avery during the LA game. No way he is around next season unless we win it all. He is not helping this team win games, all he does it get technicals
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...de.2ec3d9f.html

Stressful times, these.

And not just for players.

The latest example of tension came after the Mavericks' 102-100 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, when owner Mark Cuban and coach Avery Johnson had a heated exchange shortly after the game, according to two sources.

The Mavericks had fallen behind by 21 at halftime and 25 in the third quarter before making a comeback. Afterward, an apparent heat-of-the-moment argument happened in Johnson's office.

Both Johnson and Cuban downplayed the incident Wednesday, saying it was nothing out of the ordinary and there were no lingering problems. Johnson dismissed the situation, saying: "Everything's good."

Nevertheless, the Mavericks clearly are reeling after the humbling loss to the Lakers.

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't think it's so much the player's issue as it is that AJ is too stubborn to recognize his own faults. I mean, you're better off asking the Mav fans what their issues are with Avery, as they watch a hell of a lot more Dallas games than I do, but it just seems like AJ refuses to take any of the blame (like not putting Kidd in the final minute of the SA game).

I think he his holding Kidd back if anything, it really seems like Kidd gets the shaft from Avery quite often, which is very odd.
most coaches do not trust new players
the new player has to earn the coaches trust
kidd could be the expection though
not a aj fan at all but most coaches would not just turn the coaching over a new point guard asp

mavs>spurs2
03-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Napoleon has got to go, he is overcoaching this team to the point where the players look uncomfortable. Sometimes you have to let the players play.

DazedAndConfused
03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I've just never seen a coach control every single offensive possession. I mean literally whomever was bringing the ball up the court had to look at Avery everytime to see what the next play on offense would be.

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Napoleon has got to go, he is overcoaching this team to the point where the players look uncomfortable. Sometimes you have to let the players play.
maybe that happens when you put in a new point guard in without any training camp or practices
it is like changing quarterbacks during the season
the point guard makes the team go

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I've just never seen a coach control every single offensive possession. I mean literally whomever was bringing the ball up the court had to look at Avery everytime to see what the next play on offense would be.
kidd does not even know all the plays yet

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:16 PM
why have a coach then kidd does not need one

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
You don't need to call out every offensive play from the tip off till the end of the game!!!! This isn't football; it's basketball, players can adjust to defenses and figure things out on their own.
then why have a coach

confined
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
He was doing that when they had Harris too; I think Kidd can run the point just fine without any advice from Avery. He is a hall of fame point guard.

Exactly, kidd isn't argueably on of the greatest point guards ever for nothing, get avery's ass out of dallas. IMO he is very over-rated
-he didn't get the mavs to the finals, dirk did
-he didn't win 67 games last year, our chemistry did

sribb43
03-20-2008, 10:22 PM

in the entrie NBA, J-Ho has one of the worst BBall IQ's...checkout the play at the end of the 3rd quarter when he dribbled the ball for 6 secs and falied to even get at shot off

sribb43
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Avery thinks he is better than Kidd because he has a ring and Kidd doesnt...Avery's EGO is way too big to be a coach

mavsfan1000
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Fuck Avery. He ruined our team. He goes to Suckhouse way too much and doesn't give our only athlete at the 2 guard a chance (Wright).

clambake
03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Most mavs: "I'm going to pass instead of taking an open shot because I don't want to be the reason for this loss".

Avery: "I think I'll play these guys for extended minutes, that haven't even learned each others names, because it's not important to win this game".

confined
03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Fuck Avery. He ruined our team. He goes to Suckhouse way too much and doesn't give our only athlete at the 2 guard a chance (Wright).
That's not what's wrong. Stack played decent tonight. His refusal to put magloire on the the floor ever and having damp play 3/4 of the game with malik fucking allen as his back-up, is what the problem is.

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
avery wanted dirk gone cuban wanted kidd
aj looked like he was right dirk was the one that needed to go

ducks
03-20-2008, 10:36 PM
If you guys picked up Van Gundy you would one scary team!
houston has played alot better without him
van gundy overrated
houston improved alot without him and not just because of scola

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
who would they have gotten for Dirk?

SHAQ!

:lol

confined
03-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Kobe

confined
03-20-2008, 11:00 PM
who else would have to give up in the process? And did Kobe say he was going to go to Dallas without Dirk?
Damp probably, and we'd get radmonovic too or someone like that

ducks
03-20-2008, 11:01 PM
kg?
allen?
kobe?

ducks
03-20-2008, 11:04 PM
amare for dirk

ducks
03-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Dirk wasn't going to Seattle..and it wasn't going to be straight up trade for Dirk and KG either; Um KG is the worst clutch shooter ever..they would have gotten worse with him rather than Dirk!

And Kobe was never leaving LA..he kept making stupid trade demands!
dirk gets traded he has no choice where he goes

monosylab1k
03-20-2008, 11:20 PM
in the entrie NBA, J-Ho has one of the worst BBall IQ's...checkout the play at the end of the 3rd quarter when he dribbled the ball for 6 secs and falied to even get at shot off
I nearly crushed my remote control in my hand I was so pissed off at that.

J-Ho competes with Amare for stupidest player in the NBA.

monosylab1k
03-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I also hear Del Harris's name pop up as a possible replacement, should it come down to that.
Absolutely. I would LOVE for Del Harris to be coach of the Mavs. The players respect him, he's a veteran coach, and he does have some playoff coaching experience. He's never been overly successful, but this would definitely be the most talented team he's ever had.

I'm starting a thread to campaign for it.

ludda
03-20-2008, 11:26 PM
That's what I noticed in the Mavs-Lakers game. The reason the Mavs are not running as much as they could be is b/c every player is looking back to Mother Avery for the next instructions!

Also, I fail to see what Avery thinks he is actually accomplishing by being such a micro-manager. It's failed his team in two historic playoff collapses, now it's failing him in the regular season. Would it hurt to loosen the reins? I always said he was overrated.

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
kg?
allen?
kobe?

Would you mind not posting? It takes me a fraction of a second to scroll past your garbage, that's precious time I'm not getting back, and spurstalk could benefit from the bandwidth not being wasted.

Capt Bringdown
03-20-2008, 11:30 PM
He was a good enough coach to make Pop abandon Spurs Ball over small ball a coupla years ago.

DazedAndConfused
03-20-2008, 11:30 PM
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Avery is out this offseason unless the Mavs win it all. Cuban hates him, by all media accounts, and when Cuban wants somebody gone they are gone.

ludda
03-20-2008, 11:31 PM
He was a good enough coach to make Pop abandon Spurs Ball over small ball a coupla years ago.

Except thats been their only real accomplishment the past two years and pretty much negated by their historical embarassments against Miami and GS.

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Except thats been their only real accomplishment the past two years and pretty much negated by their historical embarassments against Miami and GS.

Riley and Nellie would've won those series with our roster.

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
He's an evil, front-running fuck, but why not go after Riley?

monosylab1k
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
He's an evil, front-running fuck, but why not go after Riley?
Please no.

I'm serious, I might relinquish my Mavs fan status and become a full time Hawks supporter if The Biggest Douche In The Basketball Universe was our coach.

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Please no.

I'm serious, I might relinquish my Mavs fan status and become a full time Hawks supporter if The Biggest Douche In The Basketball Universe was our coach.

Where do you think we'd be this year if he was on our sideline? I don't care if he bails in two years when they're on the way downhill.

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
What about Larry Brown? He will win you 1 title and then leave!

Supposedly he's done coaching pros.

ducks
03-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Would you mind not posting? It takes me a fraction of a second to scroll past your garbage, that's precious time I'm not getting back, and spurstalk could benefit from the bandwidth not being wasted.
do you not have a dallas mavs forum you belong to

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:48 PM

This is Basketball News Central. There's another section for incoherent Spurs advocacy.

monosylab1k
03-20-2008, 11:48 PM
do you not have a retards forum to post in? where they understand your sub-1st grade writing level?

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not even mad about tonight's game. Nobody is beating the Celtics if they play at this high of a level. I can handle any other team winning except Phoenix. With apologies to JMark, Xylus and ODM, FUCK THE SUNS. You're not getting a ring either.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-20-2008, 11:51 PM
The Mavericks problem is simply this....they are holding back and it is making all of Maverick Nation impatient. Guys they are almost there. This adversity is setting up to be a beautiful run to the 2008 championship in June. The playoffs are almost here folks. :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

Findog
03-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I was there tonight and I cringed when they announced Steve Javie's name as part of the officiating crew, and that's exactly what we got, a visitor-friendly officiated game. But we had our opportunities to win this game and it's not his fault this was a must-win for us.

mavsfan1000
03-21-2008, 12:02 AM
That's what I noticed in the Mavs-Lakers game. The reason the Mavs are not running as much as they could be is b/c every player is looking back to Mother Avery for the next instructions!

Also, I fail to see what Avery thinks he is actually accomplishing by being such a micro-manager. It's failed his team in two historic playoff collapses, now it's failing him in the regular season. Would it hurt to loosen the reins? I always said he was overrated.
They can't run because they don't have the athletes around Kidd needed. Stackhouse? Dampier? Howard and Dirk are the only ones that can run the break with Kidd and the best team are going to put fast players on them to shut down the break.

ducks
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
kidd is old that is why they can not run

Killakobe81
03-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I agree think avery is a good coach but i heard him on my surround sound yelling instructions constantly. 2 be honest I wish Phil was more involved ...but in my job or when i used 2 hoop id much rather have freedom then a micromanager.

remingtonbo2001
03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Larry Brown would be the perfect addition to Mavericks.

You guys should start a website demanding Cuban throw millions at Larry next season.

You guys should call www.bitchgetupoffyourass.com

Killakobe81
03-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Big win by LA few have walked in to that building and got a win ...Jazz are good they just won in Boston but I do not fear Dallas, Utah, Houston, Warriors or Suns the WCF is a 3 team race Lakers/Spurs/Hornets
The ECF? Celts/Cavs/Pistons everyone else are pretenders may win 1 round that's it

cherylsteele
03-21-2008, 12:25 AM
John Lucas as a coach=AJ as a Coach

Killakobe81
03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
if we didnt lack size id give you Odom for J-HO ...but if he is so dumb you should take radmonovich and walton instead!!! :fro

Killakobe81
03-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Riley is a great coach but he is NOT coming to Dallas ... Larry brown could help

Jimmy Bobby
03-21-2008, 01:01 AM
You'll learn on Sunday that the Mavs are just fine.

http://a61.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/l_49e4ca61d85bf8b53ad80d1ca0b9364c.gif

Indazone
03-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I hear Isiah Thomas will be looking for a job.

Spurs and Rockets fans everywhere are praying for this.

C'mon Cuban, get that pen out and make er happen!

Capt Bringdown
03-21-2008, 02:00 AM
No pop was a idiot for playing Van Exel against Harris! That was when Harris literally killed us every time Van Exel came in the game.

That was not his only mistake in that dreadful series.
I don't see PJ or Riles abandoning their team concept in the playoffs.
A big blunder that cost us a title IMO.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-21-2008, 05:57 AM
any chance Johnson is gone after this season? Id love to see him in Denver. Someone needs to get Melo on track. GK did it at first but he is just too darn relaxed now and doesnt seem to care at all.

We need someone with fire and passion. Avery would whip Melo into shape and we know Melo can be clutch, all he needs is a decemt coach to help him shape his game for the playoffs.

sribb43
03-21-2008, 07:22 AM
You'll learn on Sunday that the Mavs are just fine.

Beating the Spurs on sunday means nothing bc this homestand has already been a disaster

Shank
03-21-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't know what the fuck to think.

Jack Sommersset
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
He inherited a very good team and blew it. Lost to the Miami Heat for crying outloud. We alll know what they really are. Lost in 1st round as number one seed last year. Avery actually changed his line up to match the G.S. Warriors. You trade for Kidd to finish games and the first close game they are in Avery sits Kidd the last 30 seconds or so. Durning interviews he always blames the players. Mavs had a smalll window and I believe it has closed. This Kidd expierence doesnot seem to be working. Kidd actualy looks lost and worse 15-16 games later. Thats Avery's fault.

1Parker1
03-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Most mavs: "I'm going to pass instead of taking an open shot because I don't want to be the reason for this loss".

Basically, and that falls on Avery. He's way too uptight and that is passing onto the players. Yesterday's game was a prime exactly. They were up 4 points with about 2 minutes left and seemingly had the momentum, then their offense went out the window. Howard passed on an open shot, Stackhouse passed on an open shot, Dirk passed, then they were forced to go back to Dirk and he had to make a contested jumpshot falling back.

That team is way too talented to be a 7th seed in the West and struggling like this. While part of the blame has to go on the players as they're the ones that actually play, It has to fall on Avery the most, his lineup changes, his calling out the offense and plays almost every time down the court, his obvious lack of trust in Kidd and what he can do, his refusal to be flexable, and his underutilization of young bench players are all a factor.

He's like JVG in the sense that he's a great defensive coach, but when it comes to offense, he's lacking.

DaDakota
03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah sure, it is AVERY's fault the players are choking.

ROFLMAO !!!

WTF Ever.

DD

monosylab1k
03-21-2008, 12:05 PM

ROFLMAO !!!

WTF Ever.

DD
Fuck off.

Findog
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM

ROFLMAO !!!

WTF Ever.

DD

Good luck getting out of the first round.

Killakobe81
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM
The MAVS have dirk a tough matchup he pulled down 18 plus boards ... against a physical Celts team ...he scores 30 with odom draped all over him the game prior ...Dirk was the freaking MVP last year ...he is NOT the issue granted he played bad vs the warriors last playoffs ...but the real problem is JET/Stack/Howrad are inconsistent when they are hot like in second half vs. Lakers they can play with anyone ...but when they are not ...Bass actually seems the 2nd most relable player because if avery plays him you get 10-12 pts and a nice mid-range jumper plus he drives at Duncan. Id love to have him on my team ...

Findog
03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
The MAVS have dirk a tough matchup he pulled down 18 plus boards ... against a physical Celts team ...he scores 30 with odom draped all over him the game prior ...Dirk was the freaking MVP last year ...he is NOT the issue granted he played bad vs the warriors last playoffs ...but the real problem is JET/Stack/Howrad are inconsistent when they are hot like in second half vs. Lakers they can play with anyone ...but when they are not ...Bass actually seems the 2nd most relable player because if avery plays him you get 10-12 pts and a nice mid-range jumper plus he drives at Duncan. Id love to have him on my team ...

Dirk's got 3 years of his prime left after this one. I'm not married to anybody on this roster or coaching staff apart from him.

ducks
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Basically, and that falls on Avery. He's way too uptight and that is passing onto the players. Yesterday's game was a prime exactly. They were up 4 points with about 2 minutes left and seemingly had the momentum, then their offense went out the window. Howard passed on an open shot, Stackhouse passed on an open shot, Dirk passed, then they were forced to go back to Dirk and he had to make a contested jumpshot falling back.

That team is way too talented to be a 7th seed in the West and struggling like this. While part of the blame has to go on the players as they're the ones that actually play, It has to fall on Avery the most, his lineup changes, his calling out the offense and plays almost every time down the court, his obvious lack of trust in Kidd and what he can do, his refusal to be flexable, and his underutilization of young bench players are all a factor.

He's like JVG in the sense that he's a great defensive coach, but when it comes to offense, he's lacking.

is it aj fault they have a new point guard now not familiar with their plays and system?

1Parker1
03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Kidd also has had to get acclimated to Johnson directing the offense from the sideline.

“I try to execute what he calls, but my instinct is to try to get an easy basket,” Kidd said. “It’s just getting comfortable with these guys and understanding how easy the game can be if we can get out and run and get easy baskets.”

Exactly what AJ doesn't understand. He can't be micromanaging and calling out every single play in the game. He's not the one on the court, sometimes he can't see what the PG can see with the offense.

Indazone
03-21-2008, 01:43 PM

and this coming from the 7th seed :lmao

Indazone
03-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I hear Jeff Van Gundy is available. Why don't you guys hire Van Stumpy?

Findog
03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
and this coming from the 7th seed :lmao

Dirk: 8 series wins and a Finals appearance.

TMac and Yellow Bill Walton: 3 first-round chokes combined.

Now shut the fuck up please.

Findog
03-21-2008, 02:28 PM
I hear Jeff Van Gundy is available. Why don't you guys hire Van Stumpy?

I'd take him in a heartbeat over Avery. If you think he's the reason you couldn't get out of the first round, boy you're in for another surprise this May. JVG took an 8 seed to a Finals. Shows what Rocket fan knows to throw him under the bus.

DaDakota
03-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Hey you too...

I'd take him in a heartbeat over Avery. If you think he's the reason you couldn't get out of the first round, boy you're in for another surprise this May. JVG took an 8 seed to a Finals. Shows what Rocket fan knows to throw him under the bus.

Avery outcoached JVG 3 years ago, JVG is great on D, but awful on O...

DD

Findog
03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey you too...

I will be busy admiring our two trophies already...how many do the Mavs have again?

DD

So you're a historian, then? I wonder if there are a lot of Sixers fans masturbating to Moses Malone and the 83 squad, since we're on the topic of ancient history and all...

Findog
03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Avery outcoached JVG 3 years ago, JVG is great on D, but awful on O...

DD

No he didn't. That Dallas team should've beaten Houston in 5 games. That defense that Riley and Nellie implemented against Dirk? JVG was the first one to devise it. Dirk had a worse series against the Rockets than he did against Miami and Golden State, nobody remembers it though because the Mavs eventually prevailed against a much inferior Houston team in 7 games. Avery couldn't do anything to counter the Dirk defense Van Gundy devised. And three years later and losses to Miami and Golden State, he still hasn't.

Firing Avery doesn't solve all or even most of the Mavs problems, but it's a big step in the right direction.

ducks
03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
This is what happens when you import an aging point guard to guide your team through the season’s treacherous stretch run. After the Los Angeles Lakers traded for Pau Gasol and the Phoenix Suns brought in Shaquille O’Neal, the Mavericks felt they needed to make their own blockbuster splash. The difference: Neither Gasol nor O’Neal is being asked to direct their respective team’s offense.

“Point guard is the toughest change,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “That changes everything for you offensively. Even if it’s the same type of player, he still doesn’t know your stuff. I’ve always thought that position changes everything: timing, when certain players get the ball.”[B]

Findog
03-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Van Gundy is a great X's and O's coach..he would be perfect for Dallas. His teams play defense and he would utilize players strength! And he doesn't Micro Manage either, which is Mavs biggest problem. If anyone doesn't think that Van Gundy can coach they are crazy!

Dude took an 8 seed to a Finals. I would cream my jeans if JVG was hired as coach. Don't know how he feels about Cuban. The great thing about having Cuban as an owner is that he's as passionate and committed as any die-hard fan and will spend money and not worry too much about the luxury tax. Doesn't mean he wants to pay it, but he'll spend money if he thinks that it will make his team better.

The downside to having Cuban as an owner is that he's made plenty of enemies and burned a lot of bridges. I wonder how JVG feels about him. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't want to have anything to do with the Mavericks franchise because of personal animus towards Mark Cuban.

Jack Sommersset
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Be real. Its not just this season people are judging him on. Expectations were high and he failed. I'm not repeating what I wrote earlier. Huge upsets. The guy has to go period.

jacobdrj
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I VERY much like Avery as a coach. However, I think his inexperience is killing him. He needs another chance in another place. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. Otherwise, he looses all credibility and shouldn't be hired a 3rd time.

mavsfan1000
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I VERY much like Avery as a coach. However, I think his inexperience is killing him. He needs another chance in another place. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. Otherwise, he looses all credibility and shouldn't be hired a 3rd time.
I think Avery is in the same category as Isiah Thomas as far as coaching goes. Maybe a leader as a player but not a smart decision maker as a coach when it comes to identifying talent and what this team needs.

Gino
03-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not even mad about tonight's game. Nobody is beating the Celtics if they play at this high of a level. I can handle any other team winning except Phoenix. With apologies to JMark, Xylus and ODM, FUCK THE SUNS. You're not getting a ring either.

What do you have against Phoenix?

Is it the Nash/Cuban thing?

In fact, it seems the Suns are the most hated team by Lakers, Spurs and Mavs fans on this board.

Findog
03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
What do you have against Phoenix?

Is it the Nash/Cuban thing?

In fact, it seems the Suns are the most hated team by Lakers, Spurs and Mavs fans on this board.

With the exception of a few posters on this board, most of their fans are douches and I can't stand Amare, Shaq and D'Antoni. Nash was and is one of my favorite players, he's a stand-up dude, but if he wants a ring so bad, he can go be a 6th man for a contender when his contract is up. Plus, there's the whole misery loves company angle. If we're suffering, it takes the sting out a little bit if they are as well.

Findog
03-22-2008, 01:08 AM
How to fix the Mavs

* Fire Avery Johnson - Firing the coach is not a magical elixir. It won't solve all or even most of their problems, but it has become necessary. His faults and missteps as the coach have been well documented and I won't rehash them here. The average shelf life for a coach in this league is about 3 years, which is how long Avery has been in Dallas, and on top of that, he's a grinding micro manager. This isn't a diss at him personally. I think he's got a bright future as a coach in this league, he's smart and he knows his stuff, but he's no longer the right coach for this team. He has to go. The Mavericks are too good to be in the position of fighting for their playoff lives, only to go out early in the first round. There was a time when he was absolutely what this team needed as a different approach from the predecessor who quit on the team, but now they need to go in a different direction.

* Get a low-post scorer - This team just can't get enough easy baskets when the game grinds down late in playoff games. It would have the added benefit of making Dirk an even deadlier matchup problem for opposing teams because it would put too much pressure on defenses. I part with Josh Howard if that's what it takes. I love Howard's game, but athletic swingmen that do what he does are easier to find and replace than low-post scorers. Elton Brand and his opt-out rights are probably a pipe dream due to the salary cap ramifications, but this is something that Dallas desperately needs to address, even though those kinds of players don't grow on trees.

* Get younger and more athletic - In order to get the full advantage of having a quarterback like Jason Kidd, you need athletes that can run the floor with him. Dallas doesn't need any dinosaurs like Eddie Jones or Juwan Howard.

* Try to shed bad contracts - Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Erick Dampier all fit the bill here. They're still useful players, but I move them in order to get cap flexibility if at all possible. This may be wishful thinking, since it's hard to imagine what you can get back for them that will help you win or under what circumstances teams would take those contracts. You may have to pair them with players like Josh Howard and Brandon Bass in order to get back players that can help you win.

* Take full advantage of Kidd's appeal - Guys like playing with Nash, Paul and Kidd because they make the game easier for their teammates. There will surely be veterans willing to take the MLE or LLE in order to play with other elite players on a contender.

DaDakota
03-22-2008, 11:08 AM
How to fix the Mavs

* Fire Avery Johnson - Firing the coach is not a magical elixir. It won't solve all or even most of their problems, but it has become necessary. His faults and missteps as the coach have been well documented and I won't rehash them here. The average shelf life for a coach in this league is about 3 years, which is how long Avery has been in Dallas, and on top of that, he's a grinding micro manager. This isn't a diss at him personally. I think he's got a bright future as a coach in this league, he's smart and he knows his stuff, but he's no longer the right coach for this team. He has to go. The Mavericks are too good to be in the position of fighting for their playoff lives, only to go out early in the first round. There was a time when he was absolutely what this team needed as a different approach from the predecessor who quit on the team, but now they need to go in a different direction.

* Get a low-post scorer - This team just can't get enough easy baskets when the game grinds down late in playoff games. It would have the added benefit of making Dirk an even deadlier matchup problem for opposing teams because it would put too much pressure on defenses. I part with Josh Howard if that's what it takes. I love Howard's game, but athletic swingmen that do what he does are easier to find and replace than low-post scorers. Elton Brand and his opt-out rights are probably a pipe dream due to the salary cap ramifications, but this is something that Dallas desperately needs to address, even though those kinds of players don't grow on trees.

* Get younger and more athletic - In order to get the full advantage of having a quarterback like Jason Kidd, you need athletes that can run the floor with him. Dallas doesn't need any dinosaurs like Eddie Jones or Juwan Howard.

* Try to shed bad contracts - Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Erick Dampier all fit the bill here. They're still useful players, but I move them in order to get cap flexibility if at all possible. This may be wishful thinking, since it's hard to imagine what you can get back for them that will help you win or under what circumstances teams would take those contracts. You may have to pair them with players like Josh Howard and Brandon Bass in order to get back players that can help you win.

* Take full advantage of Kidd's appeal - Guys like playing with Nash, Paul and Kidd because they make the game easier for their teammates. There will surely be veterans willing to take the MLE or LLE in order to play with other elite players on a contender.

Fin,

I agree with all of those except the firing Avery part.

Dallas needs someone to be able to score down low, it doesn't have to be a center, it could be a power guard or SF, or a PF even....but that is what you guys have been lacking.

The ability to play inside out occassionally......

DD

Indazone
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I hope the Mav's keep Avery for many years !

mavsfan1000
03-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Fin,

I agree with all of those except the firing Avery part.

Dallas needs someone to be able to score down low, it doesn't have to be a center, it could be a power guard or SF, or a PF even....but that is what you guys have been lacking.

The ability to play inside out occassionally......

DD
Dallas needs more athletes. An athletic backup center and an athletic SG. Stackhouse is just too slow for a shooting guard imo. He is on his way out. To be able to run you got to have the horses.

Gino
03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
How to fix the Mavs

I wish I had a dime for every time a fan said all his team needed was a low-post scorer.

This might be true, but good low-post scorers are hard to come-by in the age of the NBA.

Don't you sacrifice having a low post scorer when you have a PF like Dirk? I guess you can have a dominant low post center, but then it sounds like we're contructing a dream team.

Findog
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I wish I had a dime for every time a fan said all his team needed was a low-post scorer.

This might be true, but good low-post scorers are hard to come-by in the age of the NBA.

Don't you sacrifice having a low post scorer when you have a PF like Dirk? I guess you can have a dominant low post center, but then it sounds like we're contructing a dream team.

No. The Mavs don't need a Rolls Royce like Dwight Howard or Chris Bosh, although those pipe dreams would be nice. A Honda Accord like Zydrunas Ilgauskus or somebody of that caliber is what they need. Doesn't even have to be a center, they had Antawn Jamison one year and he scores most of his points down low. They simply need to get more points in the paint.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Why is Jason Kidd such a bad shooter?!, watching this dude chuck up bricks vs the celtics made me very angry we traded for this dude. I miss devin at this point, people said kidd would make life easier for Dirk but because Kidd can't shoot the defenses can pay more attention to Dirk. All the people who were screaming for us to trade for Kidd I hope your all happy now...