PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Bulls Mar. 20

timvp
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
While there’s really no such thing as a must-win regular season game in March, this game against the Chicago Bulls was close. The Spurs owned a four-game losing streak coming into the game and really couldn’t afford to make it five straight. After an ugly first quarter, the team got it together and easily dispatched of the Bulls 102-80.

Most exciting for the Spurs is how the played in the middle two quarters, outscoring the Bulls 64-41. Their offense got into a good rhythm and their defense was solid. Once the Spurs got up, they never allowed the Bulls to make a run back into contention.

To be fair, the Bulls were pretty horrible on their own. That is a team with no direction that desperately needs a tough coach and a few veteran leaders. As they are constructed, it’s basically a bunch of young players looking to get their stats so that they can get rewarded with big contracts in the summer. The teamwork on both sides of the court was non-existent for Chicago.

As a Spurs fan, there’s no way I could complain about this win. The Spurs needed a win desperately. It was just a bonus that the starters got to rest in the fourth quarter, which should help against the Sacramento Kings in tomorrow’s back-to-back affair.

-It appeared that the Spurs entered the game with a plan to feature Tim Duncan early and often. Duncan didn’t disappoint, as he scored the team’s first eight points of the contest. He was aggressive in fighting for position and used a nice array of moves on the low block. In 26 minutes, Duncan finished with 22 points, ten rebounds and three blocked shots. He also knocked down 9-of-14 shots from the field and all four of his free throws. Duncan’s defense was also impressive and he finished the game with only one turnover. Simply a workmanlike effort.

-Manu Ginobili didn’t do much. Luckily, the Spurs ended up not needing anything out of him. In 27 minutes, Ginobili had six points, four rebounds, two assists and three turnovers, while shooting 1-for-8 from the field. Ginobili was loose with both his passing and his ballhandling. It was a good sign that the Spurs were able to win handily despite the poor game from Ginobili. Recently, the Spurs have needed Ginobili to play great to have a chance against any caliber of team. Since Ginobili is a streaky player by nature, the Spurs are at their best when they can win even when he doesn’t play well and crush teams when he does play well.

-Tony Parker played a good game. Parker’s defense had been poor in the last three or four games but he defended Ben Gordon well. Offensively, Parker stayed in attack mode and that was what the Spurs needed. He finished with 23 points and six assists, while shooting 8-for-18 from the field. Especially with Ginobili on the bench to start each half, Parker has to come out looking to create points for himself or others right away. This Spurs will need more complete efforts like this from Parker if they want to return back to their championship form.

-Bruce Bowen played 20 minutes and performed well defensively. He went against a bigger and stronger Luol Deng and held him in check. Offensively, Bowen was left open a lot and failed to make the Bulls pay. He finished 2-for-8 from the court, including 2-for-6 on three-pointers. Bowen has shot his three-pointers extremely well lately so hopefully this was just one off night from beyond the arc.

-Don’t look now but Michael Finley might have taken his first step at getting himself out of his shooting slump. Finley played 22 minutes and hit 4-of-6 shots from the field, including both of his three-point attempts. If Finley’s stroke can return, that’d be a huge boost for this team. When Finley is cold, the spacing is ruined because teams stop respecting his jumper. All wasn’t well for Finley, however, as he only pulled down one rebound. Early in the season, Finley was doing a great job rebounding the ball. Lately, he has corralled caroms at an extremely low rate – at about half of his early season rate.

-Fabricio Oberto has responded well to his placement into the starting lineup. Against the Bulls, Oberto had four points, seven rebounds and two assists in 22 minutes of action. Although he ended up fouling out, he gave very good energy and was relentless on the glass. If Oberto can play as well as he did last year in the playoffs, the Spurs could turn around their bad fortunes quickly.

-Ime Udoka led the bench in playing time and performed rather well. In 27 minutes, Udoka had 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals, while shooting 5-for-11 from the field. Overall, I was happy with the way he played. I do wish he’d lower his aggression level on offense just a bit. The Spurs don’t need Udoka to do much offensively. He has a tendency to play as if he’s responsible for carrying part of the offensive load. Defense, rebounding and hitting the open shots should be the only three things Udoka worries about on the court.

-Kurt Thomas played well off the bench. He seems to really fit well into that bench role Pop has him playing. As a backup center who enters the game for Duncan, Thomas is able to play a Duncan-like role on both sides of the court. Obviously, he’s not nearly as talented but the Spurs don’t have to go far into their bag of tricks with Thomas on the court. Against the Bulls, Thomas had four points and six rebounds in 20 minutes.

-You gotta love the way Jacque Vaughn played against the Bulls. Even when the Spurs had the game in the bag, Vaughn was throwing his body all around the court. His constant and unyielding hustle is fun to watch and has to be inspiring for his teammates. Not only was his hustle off the charts but he actually played rather well. In 18 minutes, he hit his only field goal attempt, handed out four assists, grabbed two rebounds and didn’t have a turnover. When Vaughn hustles like he did tonight and doesn’t force his own shot, he has the ability to be an important part of the repeat attempt.

-Robert Horry played really well in his 12 minutes of action. He’s getting more and more comfortable offensively and his defense is improving. Horry finished with three points, two assists and a rebound in his 12 minutes, connecting on his only field goal attempt – a three-pointer. The one part of his game that it appears that he just doesn’t have anymore is lateral quickness defensively. When a player is coming out him, he’s nothing more than a 6-foot-9 pylon these days. That said, he still has the ability to be a difference maker during the playoffs.

-Matt Bonner and Damon Stoudamire both played in garbage time. Bonner did a nice job rebounding the ball but only connected on 1-of-5 field goal attempts. Stoudamire was actually helpful in keeping the offense afloat just enough to keep the starters from having to go back into the game. Mighty Mouse and Underdog are actually a good duo to finish off blowouts because they’ll go out there and look to score right away.

-The most important thing Pop did against the Bulls, besides get the win, was making sure no one played over 30 minutes. Pop didn’t do much to win the game other than sticking with the rotation he set last outing against the Celtics.

Like I said after the Celtics game, I’m a big fan of this current rotation. If Finley is able to find his shot enough to even hit 39-40% of his attempts, that’d be really helpful. Once Brent Barry returns, I think he’ll seamlessly fit into the rotation. Barry will siphon his minutes mostly from Udoka and Finley, but will also be useful in making sure Ginobili and Bowen don’t play too many minutes.

The bottomline is the Spurs got the win. It wasn’t against a good team but I’ll gladly accept the W. A back-to-back victory against the Kings on Friday is mandatory to keep the momentum headed in the right direction.

Believe.

polandprzem
03-21-2008, 01:04 AM
look out for Kori to explode!

She was out like for a months, and now she may spread a pretty big amout of letters on a forum.

SpursFan0728
03-21-2008, 01:08 AM
i agree with most of the stuff you said especially on the Damon/Bonner garbage time issue.

Dingle Barry
03-21-2008, 01:37 AM
The only consistency I expect from Michael Finley these days is shitty defense.

tp2021
03-21-2008, 01:44 AM
i sure hope that at least one of fin or barry is hitting his shots in any given stretch of games. the whole plan behind the construction of this team is to have shooters for timmy to pass out of a double-team to. without it, our offense sucks and opposing teams just pack it in the lane. i hope fin has some game left in him, and that barry can shake off the rust and come back healthy. if thats the case, and the big 3 stay healthy, you gotta like this teams chances.
I Believe.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Ime needs to concentrate on the old adage "stick to what you do well" - when he does that he excels, when he forces it he shoots poorly and turns over the ball.

Good to see that Pop has decided to go with this rotation - hopefully the players can quickly get comfortable with it and begin to play well with each other again, as they did today. Looking forward to Barry's return (I'd like to see him start instead of Finley).

WalterBenitez
03-21-2008, 05:27 AM
I know, I know TP, TD had a nice game as usual, but

Finley made some shots? :spless:

urunobili
03-21-2008, 07:32 AM
thanks timvp gr8 recap!

ArgSpursFan.
03-21-2008, 07:38 AM
we beated a team we were supposed to beat.
I would like the Spurs to beat a title contender team before the RS is over.
A win vs the Rockets would be nice though.

1Parker1
03-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Manu Ginobili didn’t do much. Luckily, the Spurs ended up not needing anything out of him. In 27 minutes, Ginobili had six points, four rebounds, two assists and three turnovers, while shooting 1-for-8 from the field.

:lmao Did anyone catch Charles Barkley's recap of the Bulls game on TNT Inside the NBA?

Ernie: Spurs snap a 4 game losing streak. Manu Ginobili was only 1-8
Barkley: Please, Ernie, if you're driving a Bently you don't take it everywhere with you. It's the Bulls. Ginobili don't need to bring his Bently.

Solid D
03-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Ben Gordon running the point and defending Tony Parker? No need for the Staples "Easy Button" with that combination. With no Kirk Heinrich and like a ship without a rudder, the Bulls dished out a paltry 9 assists. 3 assists for Gordon and only four other Bulls were credited with any dimes.

Parker always tries to step up his game when he comes to Tony Sr.'s hometown. TP looked more like Iverson in the middle quarters, scoring with extreme confidence and ease. He didn't have anyone up into him, though.

Duncan had an extra hop in his step when he realized Noah was defending him.

timvp's observation of Horry's lack of lateral quickness is spot-on. He looked like a KB Homes sign-holder trying to defend the lane.

SpursFanFirst
03-21-2008, 08:24 AM
:lmao Did anyone catch Charles Barkley's recap of the Bulls game on TNT Inside the NBA?

Barkley: Please, Ernie, if you're driving a Bently you don't take it everywhere with you. It's the Bulls. Ginobili don't need to bring his Bently.

:lol

MoSpur
03-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Parker always seems to have good games against Chicago.

MoSpur
03-21-2008, 08:50 AM

I didn't catch that. Charles is too funny.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
It's definitely nice to see Finley getting out of his slump.
I believe, the brightest spot in last night's game.

TampaDude
03-21-2008, 09:53 AM

Sir Charles is a Spurs fan, no doubt... :toast

bigfundamental21
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM

:lmao Barkley is hilarious!

As for the Game Thoughts- Thanks, timvp. You are a master of recaps and analysis. I will take your game recaps over any other sports writer any day.

It was a much needed and emphatic win. Now we need to build some momentum. The next two Sunday games are must wins.

Herschel Walker
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Manu didn't get enough sleep.

ducks
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM

sounds like most manu fans here

T Park
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I think I called Finley's turnaround :)

nfg3
03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Good to see Finley getting the stroke back and the starters getting to rest the 4th Q was huge with the b2b tonight. Now it's going to be interesting to see Barry's impact on this team when he returns. Should be well rested by then and but his shooting touch and conditioning will be a little off. Wonder how long it will take him to get up to speed -hopefully not too long.

RROS - your comments about Ime have been on my mind of late, too. It seems that he does seem to press at times and plays poorly because of it. Hopefullly Pop can get his attention so he can focus on D first and let the O flow to him. Like Bowen he will be able to get his shots but only if it in the flow of the offense and not with him trying to make things happen.

timvp
03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
We'll see if Finley can continue to show signs of life tonight. He hasn't hit over 50% of his shots in back-to-back games in over a month. He hasn't hit over 50% of his three-pointers in back-to-back games in over three months.

polandprzem
03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
So is he gonna shoot over 50% from now on?

Obstructed_View
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
As often as you've called it, you had to be right eventually.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
As often as you've called it, you had to be right eventually.

I was going to say that but I'm sick of arguing with people.

Actually, I think it has to do with two things: 1) Finley back to the SL and getting comfortable again; 2) no pressure - playing poor teams.

Mavs on Sunday will be a test for him.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Fin does these things. Mathematically you have to let him keep shooting.

LavaLamp
03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
timvp, really enjoy your recaps.

how long does it normally take you to write one? how soon after the game do you post it?

are you able to enjoy the game knowing that you have to pay such close attention to detail because you plan to write a recap? do you use a dvr to re-watch the game or is the recap written from just one viewing?

thanks.