PDA

View Full Version : RestRooms No Longer Bastions of Privacy They Used To Be

Nbadan
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- A man found partly disrobed with a woman, cocaine and marijuana in the one-person restroom of an Iowa convenience store in an area known for prostitution had no absolute right to privacy, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

An 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel unanimously rejected Lonnie Maurice Hill's claim that police who found him with the woman and drugs breached his Fourth Amendment right to privacy, making the drugs illegally seized and unusable as evidence.

Other courts have held that the right of privacy in bathrooms varies case to case, with some judges holding that a stall in a public restroom is not a private place when used for something other than its intended purpose.

"The Fourth Amendment protects people and not places," Judge Donald Lay wrote for the three-judge 8th Circuit panel. In Hill's case, "it was not a single person using the single toilet restroom but two persons of opposite gender and, under the circumstances, we hold that they had a diminished expectation of privacy which had expired by the time the officers arrived."

AP (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RESTROOM_PRIVACY_APPEAL?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

"it was not a single person using the single toilet restroom but two persons of opposite gender and, under the circumstances, we hold that they had a diminished expectation of privacy which had expired by the time the officers arrived."

So if you have a disabled daughter or son who is incapable of using public facilities alone and your 'unfortunate' enough to have to live in a delapitated neighborhood you automatically surrender your right to privacy?

How would you know whether someone was using a restroom for it's intended purpose unless you already violated their privacy?

Spurminator
01-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm guessing their first clue was when he entered a Men's room with a woman.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2005, 03:29 PM
:lmao

Man, the libertarian in me can't argue on behalf of the dumbass in that bathroom. Fuck that.

SpursWoman
01-12-2005, 03:32 PM
So if you have a disabled daughter or son who is incapable of using public facilities alone and your 'unfortunate' enough to have to live in a delapitated neighborhood you automatically surrender your right to privacy?

I'd assume that in that instance it would be obvious....as would taking in young children with you.

But generally speaking, if a man & a woman enter a single public restroom, I'm only going in to fix my lipstick while he does his thing....to save time and all that. :nerd :angel

Spurminator
01-12-2005, 03:33 PM
The Libertarian in me says both things he was doing should be legal... But since they're not, tough shit. Find a dark alley.

Hook Dem
01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
"So if you have a disabled daughter or son who is incapable of using public facilities alone and your 'unfortunate' enough to have to live in a delapitated neighborhood you automatically surrender your right to privacy?" ..........................Your argument might carry some weight if that was the case but I don't see it mentioned in the above article.

GoldToe
01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I'd assume that in that instance it would be obvious....as would taking in young children with you.

But generally speaking, if a man & a woman enter a single public restroom, I'm only going to fix my lipstick while he does his thing....to save time and all that. :nerd

If I enter a bathroom with a woman..she WILL need to fix her lipstick!

Hook Dem
01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
If I enter a bathroom with a woman..she WILL need to fix her lipstick!
Gold Toe...have you read that post in "the club" about that woman ripping off that guy's left testical ? Be very careful! :lol

Useruser666
01-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Dan, I guess when you go into a public restroom and smoke some crack with your disabled daughter you'd just better be careful!!! :lol