PDA

View Full Version : If you were commissioner.....

Gino
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
What changes would you make to the league?

Lets say ANYTHING goes. Rule changes, schedule changes, playoff seedings etc.

Personally, I would extend the age limit from 19 to 21. The NBA has lost its minor league system and both the collegiate and professional games have suffered because of it.

Secondly, I would propose a radical change to the schedule and to how many teams make the playoffs.

It makes no sense to include so many teams when all the series are seven games.

I propose we follow the MLB/NFL format.

You play every team in your division 8 times. Everyone else, you play only twice. This is still an 82 game season.

Second, only four teams from each conference make the playoffs. Each division winner and one wild card team.

This would greatly change the amount of weight each team puts into every game. Especially if three or four teams are in a wild card/division race.

Of course, less games means less money so the owners would probably fire me as commissioner, but this all just for fun.

Anxious to hear what others would like to see.

remingtonbo2001
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
You should add a wild card game for seeds 4 and 5. The winner of this one game series goes on to play a 7 game series against the 1 seed.

That would be cool. The NBA and Owner would completely reject this idea.

Playoffs= MORE MONEY.

BonnerDynasty
03-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I Would Demand Consistency From My Refs And Fire Any I Thought Had Major Biases Or Shitty Officiating.

Gino
03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I Would Demand Consistency From My Refs And Fire Any I Thought Had Major Biases Or Shitty Officiating.

Yeah, thats a good one.

How about Refs work as crews?

I don't know why the NBA uses its current system. But I would think refs should work as three man units.

Allanon
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Personally, I would extend the age limit from 19 to 21. The NBA has lost its minor league system and both the collegiate and professional games have suffered because of it.
I kind of like this one, college is suffering big time...where are all the college legends now? There is one KG, there is one Kobe, there is one Lebron. The rest probably should have gone to college.

It makes no sense to include so many teams when all the series are seven games. ...basically fewer games played
As a basketball fan, I love watching any great game, regardless of which team it is whether it's Mavs vs Spurs, Lakers vs Utah, etc. So I'd like to see as many games as possible. As it is, I get NBA withdrawal during the summertime, I don't know about you all. Fewer games means a much shorter season and more time with nothing to watch on TV. I'm not into Baseball obviously.

My Suggestion is the 16 Team regardless of Conference Playoff Format. This ensures that no matter what, every Playoff series will be watchable. I mean who is going to watch Celtics vs Hawks? With a 16 team noConference Playoff, Celtics would be playing the Nuggets in the First Round...I would Pay to see that.

Of course the league wouldn't go for this because that means only 3-4 Eastern teams will make the Playoffs this year :)

Gino
03-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I kind of like this one, college is suffering big time...where are all the college legends now? There is one KG, there is one Kobe, there is one Lebron. The rest probably should have gone to college.

Not to mention how good would the tournament be right now if Durant and all the others who came out after only one year were still in college?

baseline bum
03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I'd only make one change: technical fouls should be penalized by two shots and the ball for the other team.

LakeShow
03-21-2008, 12:44 PM

As a basketball fan, I love watching any great game, regardless of which team it is whether it's Mavs vs Spurs, Lakers vs Utah, etc. So I'd like to see as many games as possible. As it is, I get NBA withdrawal during the summertime, I don't know about you all. Fewer games means a much shorter season and more time with nothing to watch on TV. I'm not into Baseball obviously.

My Suggestion is the 16 Team regardless of Conference Playoff Format. This ensures that no matter what, every Playoff series will be watchable. I mean who is going to watch Celtics vs Hawks? With a 16 team noConference Playoff, Celtics would be playing the Nuggets in the First Round...I would Pay to see that.

Of course the league wouldn't go for this because that means only 3-4 Eastern teams will make the Playoffs this year :)

I think the traveling would be too much to make that work. That would probably mean more days off between games in the playoffs. I can't say that I would be thrilled about that.

Hemotivo
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
no more defensive 3 sec.
more cheerleaders with new dress code
eliminate mandatory timeout
and an NBDL for Baseketball
http://www.planearium2.de/bilder/fotos/19.jpg

JamStone
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
1. Contraction to 26 teams. Get rid of Seattle, Memphis, Milwaukee, and Atlanta

2. Automatic life bans for a criminal felony conviction.

3. Referee rating system that is made public on the web that allows fans to comment.

4. Automatic review of all three-point shots, not by the refs but by a third party official so it won't require stopping the game, just a video official to review any shot that may or may not be a three-point shot.

5. Get rid of the shot clock rule that stops a fast break for the defensive team.

6. Parity in scheduling in terms of back-to-back sets. There shouldn't be one team that has 15 back-to-back sets and another team that has 9 back-to-back sets.

7. League reviews flops and fines players if there is enough evidence of flopping (I know it's really subjective and very hard to tell, but something needs to be done to prevent at least some flopping). Maybe make a rule that allows referees to call flopping a foul on the flopper.

Gino
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM

3. Referee rating system that is made public on the web that allows fans to comment.

4. Automatic review of all three-point shots, not by the refs but by a third party official so it won't require stopping the game, just a video official to review any shot that may or may not be a three-point shot.

5. Get rid of the shot clock rule that stops a fast break for the defensive team.

6. Parity in scheduling in terms of back-to-back sets. There shouldn't be one team that has 15 back-to-back sets and another team that has 9 back-to-back sets.

7. League reviews flops and fines players if there is enough evidence of flopping (I know it's really subjective and very hard to tell, but something needs to be done to prevent at least some flopping). Maybe make a rule that allows referees to call flopping a foul on the flopper.

I think everyone would love that. But it would be a nightmare for officials.

LakerMagic
03-21-2008, 01:32 PM
16 team playoff

LakeShow
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM

You mean teams don't play the same amount of back to backs? That sucks! Definitely needs to be changed.

nkdlunch
03-21-2008, 01:48 PM
-I would paint the court black and illuminate it with blacklight. then have all lines on court, ball and player's uniforms glow in the dark.
-at beginning of game, cheerleaders from opposing teams should mudwrestle for first possesion.
-Instead of foul shots, there should be a one play 1-1 between the fouler and the player fouled
-court should be elevated and slowly rotate like a rotating restaurant
-at halftime refs should be put up in dunk tanks and fans should be able to throw balls at it

bdictjames
03-21-2008, 01:52 PM
-I would paint the court black and illuminate it with blacklight. then have all lines on court, ball and player's uniforms glow in the dark.
-at beginning of game, cheerleaders from opposing teams should mudwrestle for first possesion.
-Instead of foul shots, there should be a one play 1-1 between the fouler and the player fouled
-at halftime refs should be put up in dunk tanks and fans should be able to throw balls at it
:lol :lol :lol

Gino
03-21-2008, 02:20 PM

:lol

But what happens when there's a foul during the one-on-one play.

samikeyp
03-21-2008, 02:29 PM
allow offensive goaltending
trapezoid lane
referees be made to answer reporters after the game, just like coaches and players.
no expansion outside North America per se, but European and Asian versions of the D-League.

ancestron
03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
No fouls. No dribbling. Have players wear pads, helmets. Double the size of the hoop. Out of bounds will be lined with alligator pits.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Make shots from the top of the opposing 3point line and within a 4 pointer.

Findog
03-21-2008, 04:39 PM
If you're going to go with the top 16 teams record-wise, regardless of conferences, then you need to do away with them and go with a balanced schedule where everybody plays everybody else 3 times, or whatever 82 games against 29 teams comes out to. I'm in favor of that, because the East has been decisively weaker for about 7 or 8 years now. It also probably aids the East champ in that they might only play one really tough series instead of the war that it takes to come out of the West.

I'd get rid of all the really shitty refs like Salvatore, Joey Crawford and Steve Javie. As for flopping, I would just call techs on all flops period. Yeah, some legitimate spills to the deck would be unfairly punished, but all of the sudden guys would have an incentive to stay upright.

To discourage tanking, I'd freeze the standings at the All-Star break and determine lottery order from there. I'd tell Clay Bennett to go fuck himself and keep the Sonics in Seattle. I would keep the 19 year old age limit - it's been good for both colleges and the NBA. Horse would be a feature at the ASG festivities. That's all I can think of for now, I have other ideas I'm sure.

LakerMagic
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
If you're going to go with the top 16 teams record-wise, regardless of conferences, then you need to do away with them and go with a balanced schedule where everybody plays everybody else 3 times, or whatever 82 games against 29 teams comes out to. I'm in favor of that, because the East has been decisively weaker for about 7 or 8 years now. It also probably aids the East champ in that they might only play one really tough series instead of the war that it takes to come out of the West.

I'd get rid of all the really shitty refs like Salvatore, Joey Crawford and Steve Javie. As for flopping, I would just call techs on all flops period. Yeah, some legitimate spills to the deck would be unfairly punished, but all of the sudden guys would have an incentive to stay upright.

To discourage tanking, I'd freeze the standings at the All-Star break and determine lottery order from there. I'd tell Clay Bennett to go fuck himself and keep the Sonics in Seattle. I would keep the 19 year old age limit - it's been good for both colleges and the NBA. Horse would be a feature at the ASG festivities. That's all I can think of for now, I have other ideas I'm sure.

I like your idea for discouraging tanking. :toast

Findog
03-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I like your idea for discouraging tanking. :toast

Yeah, I understand playing rookies and 2nd-year players in April because you want to season them up, get some valuable experience and see what they can do. But Miami is not trying to win games with those players, they are actively trying to lose. Wouldn't it be better for those guys to be pushed to compete? It's the only incentive I can think of to get teams to play hard and to try. As bad as you are, would you really call it quits on a season in December?

rAm
03-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Man, some of these ideas seem so legit.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Do away with "clear path fouls". The idea, as I understand it, is that it is supposed to discourage fouls to prevent breakaway dunks, speed up the game, and create some crowd pleasing highlights. It just seems like it never happens like that. For starters, I don't think any rule is going to be able to stop a player from following their instincts in a situation like that. Between the refs conferring and checking to see whether or not it was a CPF in the first place plus the additional two free throws (always a crowd pleaser) this shit just slows the game down even worse. Totally counterproductive in my opinion.

And :tu to Jamstone's list, especially 4,5, and 6.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-21-2008, 07:32 PM
And screw the only 1st or 2nd year players can be sent to the D-League.

Behrooz24
03-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Hotspots, NBAJAM style!

Fillmoe
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
a T for flopping

dbreiden83080
03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Something the league would never do because of the money but less games in the Reg season. Say 70 games instead of 82 and no back to backs ever. Teams almost never play at full potential on back to backs and it beats the hell out of the players. I would also make it harder to get into the playoffs. Play 3 Rds instead of 4, of 7 game series a piece. The way it is now it's ridiculous, the playoffs are 2 months long. The offseason in the NBA is too short, compared to other sports like Baseball.

RonMexico
03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
You should add a wild card game for seeds 4 and 5. The winner of this one game series goes on to play a 7 game series against the 1 seed.

That would be cool. The NBA and Owner would completely reject this idea.

Playoffs= MORE MONEY.

Yeah - that's the problem. I personally enjoyed the 5-game 1st round because the games meant something right off the bat and made it more exciting.

Now, the first round drags on for 3 weeks and by that time, even Kenny, Charles and Ernie are bored talking about the same teams over and over again.

mojorizen7
03-22-2008, 03:34 AM
The first thing i would do is make flopping a technical foul.
Next, i'd send all my referees back to boot camp so as to learn that....
A) Travelling IS a violation whether your name is Kobe Bryant, or Patrick O' Bryant.
B) The point of a team of referees is NOT be the focal point the game.Their job is to call the game as is stated in the rule book without prejudice to reputation,momentum,and geography of the site in which the game is played. NO make up calls!
Just get it right the first time for fucks sake.

Make any shot made behind the half-court line with 2 minutes left in either half worth 4 points.(including 4 FT attempts if fouled in the act)

mojorizen7
03-22-2008, 03:35 AM
a T for flopping
:tu

timaios
03-22-2008, 07:28 AM
The first thing i would do is make flopping a technical foul.
Next, i'd send all my referees back to boot camp so as to learn that....
A) Travelling IS a violation whether your name is Kobe Bryant, or Patrick O' Bryant.
B) The point of a team of referees is NOT be the focal point the game.Their job is to call the game as is stated in the rule book without prejudice to reputation,momentum,and geography of the site in which the game is played. NO make up calls!
Just get it right the first time for fucks sake.

Make any shot made behind the half-court line with 2 minutes left in either half worth 4 points.(including 4 FT attempts if fouled in the act)

Why in the last 2 min ???
Make it the entire game !

:clap

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 08:34 AM
+ Make all Piston fans attending a home game wear skirts, that way they'll all be loud laughing drunks instead of loud cussing and screaming drunks.
+ Declare war on the MLB and it's pussy ass sport that has no respect left and aren't even the best players in the world.
+ Do not expand outside of North America, otherwise the NBA folds 3 years later
+ Fine and jail the refs for the SA.LA game a few years back when the .4 shouldn't have counted, cause fuckers just changed the rules that summer to cover their asses
+ Fine teams that tank
+ Fine Mark Cuban for being so damn ugly