PDA

View Full Version : The Only Kobe Thread in this Forum (rest are in NBA Forum)

bugramps
07-19-2003, 08:42 AM
OK, OK, OK, OK, OK!!!!!!!!
We all know about Kobe being charged! How many damn threads do we need to have to discuss this? I say only ONE!
I come on here to find out new and interesting news on the Spurs and their offseason. NOT about all the stuff I can easily see on ESPN.com or on television!
Yes, he's charged, get over it!
Discuss it, that's cool, but for GOD'S SAKE! It's overrun the board here! I mean, I thought we hated the Lakers and here we are entranced with Kobe! Have one topic thread on the subject and let's get back to talking about the Spurs!
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeSPURado
07-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Hah! Like that is really going to happen. I mean I sympathize with you and all. Maybe Kori and LJ should make a Bryant on trial forum (hint hint) but this is big news, having to do with our most hated rival. Any new developments/ debates are likely to get posted. And this will probably also be the first of many complaints posted against that. Regardless hopefully people will be considerate enough to keep the Bryant posts within as few topics as possible.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Not tomention its the middle of july, not much going on besides this, certainly nothing to trump it.

Ghost Writer
07-19-2003, 11:11 AM
I agree.

Move this crap to the basketball general forum.

Cassius Clay must've been out of his gourd during the OJ trial for krissakes.

There's a thread dedicated to each and every soundbite from last night in herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

:cooldevil

Cassius Clay
07-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Coming from the King of Repetitive Posts that's rather rich.

KoriEllis
07-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Damn, you guys took my idea.

Last night (4am) before I went to sleep, I said that I wanted to move all the Kobe topics to the NBA forum.

I'll do it now.

This will be the only one in this forum -- and I'll lock this one to the top.

KoriEllis
07-19-2003, 12:32 PM
You can post any articles, thoughts, etc. on Kobe in this thread now.

bugramps
07-19-2003, 01:42 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I know this is big news, AND that it trumps everything going on right now, but there's just nothing new to hear or say about this thing that can't be covered in one topic.
Honestly, it's not like we're going to get BREAKING informaton through this forum on this Kobe thing. It's EVERYWHERE!:shootme
There should be a place where you can escape the pandamonium (sp?).
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MOVING THE THREADS!:wacko

MI21
07-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Good Idea.

I hadn't visited the forum for a couple of days, and I come back and the whole of Page 1 is littered with shit about Kobe.

Looks much better now.

:elephant

Cassius Clay
07-19-2003, 04:49 PM
**** yeah I'd rather read shit about Aussie TV. Go suck a lemon, 'mate.

MI21
07-20-2003, 04:20 AM
3 seperate posts in a thread, compared to 10 whole threads on the same subject.

Good comparison, cobber.

Cassius Clay
07-20-2003, 04:22 AM
Doesn't fucking matter. Don't tell me what to do you little piece of shit.

MI21
07-20-2003, 04:27 AM
If 6'4 is little then so be it.

I would argue with you, but I dont have the stamina to play Rope-a-Dope with you, and I am not a Dope.

Good day.

:elephant

alamo50
07-20-2003, 07:19 AM
**** KOBE!

Da Ali G Show
07-20-2003, 03:14 PM
6'4"?

Ize di'int knowz dat deyz stack shit dat high.

DeSPURado
07-20-2003, 04:38 PM
By HEATHER LOURIE and MARCIA C. SMITH
The Orange County Register

EAGLE, COLO – Everyone here knew her as the popular Eagle Valley Senior High School cheerleader springing with vibrant spirit and sweet smiles, as the beautiful singer always ready to perform in school musicals with the clearest voice and the strongest heart.

But her close friends have been doggedly protecting a secret in the unnerving days since the 19-year-old woman accused Los Angeles Lakers All-Star Kobe Bryant of forcing her to have sex with him - a secret that Bryant's attorneys could use to undermine her credibility, legal experts say.

Two months before the woman went to the Eagle County Sheriff's Department on July 1 alleging that Bryant had sexually assaulted her, the woman suffered under such mental anguish that she overdosed on pills and was rushed to a hospital, her friends told The Orange County Register.

"I think it was just a cry for help," said Lindsey McKinney, 18, who lived at the woman's house in May, when the woman took the pills.

(more...registration required)

www2.ocregister.com/ocrwe...h=7&day=20 (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=48694§ion=NEWS&subsection=NEWS&year=2003&month=7&day=20)

Most of you all might see this as an attack on the girls character. She was depressed, attempted suicide and, thus sought out Kobe to get something from him. I on the other hand don't see that. Having studied psychology extensively, I would like to report that this brings into line the whole story for me. Rapist generally choose their victims based on criterias of perceived weakness, submissiveness, and low self esteem. For me this bout with depression further backs up the claim of rape. She was supposed to be the perfect victim, a small town cheerleader with a history of depression. My only hope is that she proves to the world to be much stronger than Kobe alllegedly percieved her to be. You might ask yourself Why I am so quick to believe these allegations? I'll tell you in my next post.

Truthsayer
07-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Exactly what I was thinking Despurado. This story could backfire and make people even more sympathetic to the victim.

DeSPURado
07-20-2003, 07:45 PM
I posted a huge explanation about my thoughts on the Kobe Bryant case in this thread. (http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm11.showMessage?topicID=1167.topi c) Please read, comment, or ignore as you see fit.

tlongII
07-21-2003, 11:36 AM
There is NO WAY that Kobe will get convicted in this case. It is clear that this chick has got serious emotional problems. Obviously the chick gave it up for Kobe and then freaked.

Jimcs50
07-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Lets wait and see the evidence before we pass judgement on either party. Seems, rational to do that, yes?

Jimcs50
07-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Who deleted my thread with Kobe's accuser's pic??? Just because there was another thread that I was not aware of, is no reason to delete the one I went through the trouble of posting.

scott
07-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Its in the NBA forum, Jim

Jimcs50
07-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanx Scott. I do think all Kobe threads should be in here though. I think Kobe being on Lakers or not being on Lakers indirectly affects SA's chances of repeating, so Kobe news is appropos, IMO.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 04:32 PM
www.denverpost.com/Storie...89,00.html (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E11%257E1525789,00.html)

Article Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:00:00 AM MST

Bryant accuser's injuries 'obvious'
Friend says she was hurt, 'no question'

By Chris Frates and George Merritt, Denver Post Staff Writers

EAGLE - The alleged victim in the Kobe Bryant sexual-assault case suffered obvious physical injuries that are still apparent three weeks after the incident, a friend told The Denver Post on Monday.

"She had been hurt, there's no question about it," said Luke Bray, a high school friend who said he has helped take care of the woman since the June 30 incident.

Bray's remarks are the first confirmation of the physical evidence that Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert alluded to when he charged Bryant with one count of felony sexual assault Friday.

Bray would not discuss the specific injuries because he said the woman's attorney, Rob Wheeler, advised him not to.

Attorneys representing Bryant - Hal Haddon and Pamela Mackey - could not be reached late Monday.

The mother of the alleged victim has asked her daughter's friends to stop talking with reporters, but not before the woman's purported picture, address, phone number and e-mail address began circulating on the Internet. The photo being circulated, however, is actually of someone else, a former classmate said Monday.

"Her parents are afraid for her because she's received threats," said one family friend who asked not to be identified. "They've kind of asked everyone to step back a little bit and let things cool off."

Outraged basketball fans have e-mailed death threats to the woman, Bray said.

The 19-year-old woman has been the subject of intense media attention since July 6, when the Eagle County Sheriff's Office announced it had arrested Bryant two days earlier. The arrest stemmed from an alleged sexual assault at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in Edwards, where Bryant was a guest and the woman worked.

Bryant said Friday that he had consensual sex with the woman.

The charge against the Los Angeles Lakers star carries a prison term of four years to life.

Family friends said the woman's mother called them Sunday to ask that they lower their profile. Some of the woman's friends began speaking out in her defense because they thought her side had not been fairly represented.

Mainly, her parents were concerned that a picture of the girl would eventually find its way into the public spotlight, the family friend said. After the request, the friend canceled three nationwide TV interviews and stopped speaking to print reporters.

Nearly a dozen of the woman's friends and former classmates have appeared on national TV news shows such as "Primetime," "Good Morning America," "Today," "American Morning" and "Fox News: Big Story Weekend with Rita Cosby."

Some of the friends have supported the woman, saying they believed her allegation. Others said they didn't think she was telling the truth and was just trying to grab her 15 minutes of fame.

Despite the mother's concerns, a picture that was purported to be of the woman began circulating as early as Friday on at least three websites.

But Janelle Medina, 19, who attended Eagle Valley High School and was in the choir with the alleged victim, said the photo is of another girl with the same first name.

Internet user "Dudemac" posted what he claimed are three pictures of Bryant's accuser on two websites. The pictures included two from prom night at Eagle Valley High School and one of the cheerleading and dance team of which the woman was a member.

In a chat room on the site, "Dudemac" refused to provide his name or a phone number.

"She is 19, and I really do not think it's cool for her to accuse him and not be in the news herself," Dudemac wrote.

While mainstream media outlets do not generally name victims of sex crimes, posting the woman's name or picture on the Internet does not violate the law, said Chris Beall, a Denver lawyer specializing in media law.

David Feingold, creator of the Boston-based website Freekobe.com, said he knows the woman's name and has seen pictures of her but chose not to publish them. Since Friday, he also has tried to immediately take down messages from bulletin boards if they include any reference to her name, her address or her picture. But the volume is so heavy, he hasn't been able to keep up, he said.

"I do believe that it's in wide circulation, but we try to take it down," Feingold said. "I don't want to have any part of that."

Even as her name spreads across the Internet, almost everyone in Eagle, a small town of 3,700 people, knows who she is.

Meanwhile, the Eagle County District Attorney's Office declined to comment Monday about revelations that the woman suffered a drug overdose in the months before the incident.

Bryant is due back in Colorado for an advisement hearing Aug. 6.

Denver Post staff writers Joey Bunch and Gwen Florio contributed to this report.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 04:42 PM
I do think all Kobe threads should be in here though. I think Kobe being on Lakers or not being on Lakers indirectly affects SA's chances of repeating, so Kobe news is appropos, IMO.

Umm.. that's what THIS thread is for -- Kobe News. Anyone can post Kobe news in THIS thread OR in the NBA forum. But I'm not going to have 100's of Kobe threads in this forum to the point where that you can't find any Spurs topics unless you go to page three.

:)

adidas11
07-22-2003, 05:26 PM
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up before, but apparently this was not the first time the girl and Kobe had hooked up before. Found this out from my co-worker.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
That rumor's been floating around. Haven't seen anything definitive on it.

Jimcs50
07-22-2003, 05:30 PM
That is an unsubstantiated rumor. Just some tactic to try to cloud the real issue and discredit the alleged victim.

2Cleva
07-22-2003, 06:57 PM
MSNBC is running an interview today of a few of her friends. According to them, just a few days ago she was at a party with them, joking about how "big" Kobe was. At this rate, the case won't make it to trial before its dropped.

DeSPURado
07-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Um 2cleva just because she had done it with him once, which I am not ready to believe with out an official source, doesn't mean he couldn't have raped her on a different occasion. Consenting to sexual intercourse once does not mean you consent to it every time. I mean technically you can be charged with raping your own wife. Just because she is married to you doesn't require her to have sex with you.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Rumors are running rampant. I just heard that there are still obvious physical marks on her today -- weeks after the incident.

Holy Sith
07-22-2003, 10:41 PM
I heard the same thing...from a guy whos friends with her.

If its true...they better nail is ass to a wall.

Sith

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 12:18 AM
The whisper campaign has begun. In addition it was interesting how a former girlfriend of Bryant's recently appeared on a number of cable talk shows the other night spouting what appeared to be some rehearsed lines.

If there are rumors of her joking about his anatomy then that is simply to paint her as a fraudulent nympho.

MissAllThat
07-23-2003, 01:00 AM
This whole thing is a lose-lose situation. She's being publicy embarrassed and talked about, and he's going to lose some of his good boy status no matter what (if not all. I went to lakersground yesterday, and that is by far the worst site I've ever seen, but anyways, they never referred to the girl as a girl or the victim, instead she's "the whore," "the skank," "the bitch," "the tramp," etc. I can't believe some of the people on that site, and none of them seem to be taking into account that maybe he did rape her. They're all thinking that she's definately doing this for money, or that she even raped him....wtf?

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Well, supposedly she has been receiving death threats via email from "basketball fans." I recall seeing that report somewhere.

adidas11
07-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Personally, I think Kobe might actually be guilty in this situation.

I just can't see why a girl would bring this type of scrutiny against herself, unless she was actually raped. I don't think she's doing it for the money anymore.

Just my gut feeling... Something bad happened in that room that night.

ducks
07-23-2003, 11:30 AM
she needs to get a new email address

be intresting to see how the public views her if he is found guilty and goes to prison

bigzak25
07-23-2003, 12:32 PM
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://meier.20megsfree.com/KobeHelp.jpg

:wacko

Adrienne18
07-23-2003, 06:00 PM
ACCUSER ‘BRAGGED’ ABOUT INCIDENT
The 19-year-old woman attended a party just days before charges were filed against Bryant and appeared to be in a good mood and “bragging” about the incident, several teen-agers at the party told NBC News on Tuesday. Another friend told the Associated Press that the woman had “visible evidence” of the alleged attack a week later.
The alleged victim was at a party three days before the charges were filed and appeared to be in a good mood, NBC News reported, citing five party attendees.
“She was bragging about it,” party host Steve Evancho told NBC News.
The victim described Bryant’s anatomy when asked about it at the party, the host said.

link (http://www.msnbc.com/news/942322.asp)

MissAllThat
07-23-2003, 06:26 PM
I heard that news already, and I just have to wonder who her real friends are. Her "friends" all have different stories. Some say they don't believe her and make her out to be a liar or a bad person, but others say the opposite. I don't get why this girl would want all of this bad attention and all of the death threats if nothing happened.

F7
07-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Lakers starting lineup:

PG - charged with assault
SG - charged with sexual assault
SF - Rick Fox ( he played an inmate in that HBO Show OZ) :lol
PF - deadbeat dad
C - A FUTURE SHERIFF

WTF?! I smell a sitcom :lol

Jimcs50
07-24-2003, 12:28 AM
WTF?! I smell a sitcom

The show will be about Kobe in a Colorado prison called "Don't drop the Soap"

ShoogarBear
07-24-2003, 01:53 AM
On a more basketball-related note, somebody on JT Brick tonight said that convicted or not, Kobe will leave LA after this year because of the case.

I don't believe it, but it is a good point that this WILL impact his free agency next year. Both whether he wants to stay in LA and whether any other city will want him.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2003, 02:37 AM
:lol f7

KoriEllis
07-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Damn, we're worried about paying Horry $5M ... Kobe spent almost that on a ring to kiss Vanessa's ass...

Thursday, July 24

Kobe gives wife $4M ring shortly after admitting adultery
espn.go.com/nba/news/2003...85001.html (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0724/1585001.html)
ESPN.com news services

Just days after admitting to millions of people that he cheated on his wife, Kobe Bryant has reportedly spent millions on a gift for her.

The Lakers star called what he did adultery. You can call what he bought his wife, Vanessa, whatever you want: damage control or sincere apology attempt.

According to the New York Post, People Magazine will be on the newsstands Friday with a report that Kobe has purchased a $4 million eight-carat, purple diamond ring for his wife.

"They looked very happy together," Raffi, the man who made the ring, told People after the couple picked it up Monday at an exclusive jewelry boutique in Santa Monica, Calif. Raffi also made the couple's wedding rings two years ago, according to People. The new bauble was specially commissioned two weeks ago.

Bryant was charged Friday with a single count of felony sexual assault against a 19-year-old woman at an exclusive spa where he was staying when he came to Colorado for knee surgery. If convicted, he faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine of up to $750,000.

At Friday's news conference, Kobe defended himself against the assault charge, but admitted to committing adultery with the accuser. Vanessa Bryant was at her husband's side during the news conference and released a statement.

"He is a loving and kind husband and father," she said in the statement. "I believe in his innocence. Because I know him to be innocent, I will stand by him and we will face this together."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Can't Buy Me Love...

Damn, I need to hit the porcelain bowl after reading that article.

SAmikeyp
07-24-2003, 01:24 PM
a $4mil ring helps the "stand by your man" strategy go down a whole lot easier.

bigzak25
07-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Sir, here's what we have. For $500, this is the "I got a happy ending at the massage parlor and you saw my credit car bill" pendant.

We also have the "I got gonoreah from a prostitute in Thailand and gave it to you" necklace. That retails for $2200.

And finally the "I tagged the 19 year old concierge at a Spa & Resort in Denver and subsequently was charged with sexual assault" ring. That goes for $4 million."

:wacko

Shelly
07-25-2003, 10:40 AM
:lol --check out the 4 million dollar ring!

http://members.aol.com/ov4truth/images/kobepriceless.jpg

ducks
07-25-2003, 12:04 PM
scoop (http://www.ncbuy.com/news/wireless_news.html?qdate=2003-07-25&nav=VIEW&id=2JB41IF7387030725)

July 25, 2003 - Wireless Flash
Kobe Bryant's Body Language Has Forked Tongue

LOS ANGELES (Wireless Flash) -- Kobe Bryant's lips say, "No," but his body language says, "Yes, yes, yes."

That's according to body language expert Dr. Rosalene Glickman, who analyzed Bryant's movements during his recent press conference.

The verdict: Kobe's lying through his teeth about something. Even worse: Glickman says the way Kobe kept pulling his mouth back suggests he may have been "trying to spit out a confession."

Another shady sign: Most people keep their arms open when they're being honest but Glickman says Kobe kept his crossed as if he's hiding something.

Glickman claims that if Kobe's comments were run through a lie detector, he would fail.

That's especially bad news for Kobe's wife, Vanessa, because Glickman says the part of the press conference where Kobe lied most was when he said, "I breathe for her.

ducks
07-25-2003, 12:09 PM
A judge, seeking to quell rumors and reports that could affect a trial, later Thursday issued a gag order on attorneys, witness and others involved in the case. scoop (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-bryantcase&prov=ap&type=lgns)

KoriEllis
07-25-2003, 01:32 PM
The verdict: Kobe's lying through his teeth about something. Even worse: Glickman says the way Kobe kept pulling his mouth back suggests he may have been "trying to spit out a confession."

After the press conference, I thought the same thing -- that weird thing Kobe was doing with his mouth made me think he was lying. I had never seen him doing it before.

But then, I saw something yesterday that changed my mind ..

Yesterday I saw an interview with Kobe from during training camp of his rookie year. He was doing that exact same thing with his mouth!! So now I conclude that he does that with his mouth when he's NERVOUS not necessarily when he's lying.

Note: I'm not saying he was telling the truth at the press conference. I am just saying that his mouth thing is not a strong indicator that he's lying.

baseline bum
07-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Sir, here's what we have. For $500, this is the "I got a happy ending at the massage parlor and you saw my credit car bill" pendant.

We also have the "I got gonoreah from a prostitute in Thailand and gave it to you" necklace. That retails for $2200.

And finally the "I tagged the 19 year old concierge at a Spa & Resort in Denver and subsequently was charged with sexual assault" ring. That goes for $4 million."

:lol

baseline bum
07-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Forget the sitom... I want to see pics of Sheriff Shaq putting the cuffs on Kobe on media deay. Perhaps the NBA could use the idea for their next promotional campaign.

The NBA - At least we don't have Ray Carruth

HollywoodKobe
07-25-2003, 04:12 PM
What does it say about a girl that accepts a 4 million dollar ring?

As for Kobe's free agency assuming he's not in jail. There are two ways of looking at it.

1) Kobe sees the city of LA standing behind him through this whole thing and can't imagine ever leaving after the support he's gotten. Despite the ring, Kobe still has some making up to do with Vanessa who is from OC and probably wants to stay here.

2) The intense scrutiny of the big city drives Kobe nuts. He can't find any peace. He desires an opportunity to start fresh somewhere else and takes off for a different team.

Of course by the time decision comes, there will probably be other issues including how the season goes this season. As I said before, this is all contigent on Kobe being exonerated of the sexual assault charge.

ducks
07-25-2003, 04:23 PM
if he does get off

how could he look at phil and say **** you. I am leaving?

when their hole organization is supporting kobe thru this?

for people thinking kidd would have a hard time telling thorn no what about kobe telling lakers NO?

scott
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM
What does it say about a girl that accepts a 4 million dollar ring?

Its says she's not a moron. Accepting a $4mil ring doesn't preclude her from dumping his ass later.

MissAllThat
07-26-2003, 12:50 AM
Well of course Vanessa is going to accept the ring. You don't just turn down a $4 million ring, especially not in her case.

ducks
07-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Bryant Faces Tough Law In Colorado Rape Case
Severe Penalties, Sympathetic Juries
By T. R. Reid
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 26, 2003; Page A01
DENVER -- The clock was approaching midnight, but the date had gone well and the young couple were not ready to part. They went to a bedroom together, both testified later, shared drinks and marijuana, and eventually had intercourse. The next day, the woman reported that she had been raped.
The man was charged with Class 3 felony sexual assault under Colorado's tough new rape law -- the same charge brought last week against Los Angeles Lakers all-star Kobe Bryant.
In that case in Denver three years ago, the prosecution's only evidence was the woman's testimony. There were no injuries to suggest that force was used, no friends to testify that the woman had been distressed afterward. The victim was such a convincing witness that the jury rejected the defense of consensual sex. The defendant, who had no prior criminal record, is now serving a minimum 16-year prison term and faces years of closely supervised probation upon release.
Precedents like that case suggest the difficult legal road that could be facing the 24-year-old Bryant if he heads to trial on charges of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old hotel clerk at a Colorado resort on the night of June 30. Defense lawyers and victims advocates here agree that Colorado is a state where both the law and the public mood has grown significantly tougher for accused sexual offenders in recent years.
"You don't want to be charged with sexual assault anywhere, but Colorado is one of the worst places to be charged with sexual assault," said Craig Silverman, a criminal defense lawyer and former prosecutor in Denver. "Over the past five years, the legislature has rewritten the statutes and beefed up the penalties. The goal is to isolate a sexual offender from society, and then keep him under tight supervision basically for life."
Meantime, news cameras will be allowed inside the courtroom at Kobe Bryant's hearing on a sexual assault charge on Aug. 6, a judge ruled yesterday.
After initial denials to the press, Bryant conceded last week that he did have intercourse with the 19-year-old in his hotel suite. The Lakers guard, who has had an impeccable image on and off the court, said the sex was consensual and he is not guilty of the criminal charge.
That sets up a courtroom confrontation that could turn, to a considerable extent, on his word against hers. But the pattern in recent "acquaintance-rape" cases in this state has been for juries to side with the alleged victim, notes University of Colorado law professor Paul Campos.
"If you review the Colorado cases, you can see that the pendulum has swung toward the victim," Campos says. "You get convictions in some date-rape situations strictly on the women's testimony, with no corroborative evidence of a struggle or a contemporaneous complaint."
Jill McFadden, executive director of the Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault, a government-funded advocacy office, says that "women who are sexually assaulted still have a tough time convincing juries that they were victims." But she agrees the law and the mood in this state have changed markedly.
"It's a combination of Republicans who want to be tough on crime and Democrats who are concerned about human rights, women's rights," McFadden said. "Both sides can agree when it comes to sexual offenses. The result is that Colorado has moved ahead of many states in dealing with sexual assault and with convicted offenders."
The 3-year-old state law under which Bryant has been charged involves four degrees of sexual assault, depending on the circumstances. The most severe crime is rape accompanying a kidnapping. A "Class 2" sexual assault covers rapists who use a deadly weapon or inflict serious bodily harm to force submission. "Class 3" involves the use of physical force, violence, or threats to compel sex. "Class 4" covers sex with an unwilling partner, but not involving force.
Silverman, the former prosecutor, said District Attorney Mark Hurlbert was probably thinking strategically when he charged Bryant with the Class 3 felony.
"Class 4 assault is a lesser included offense to the Class 3 charge," Silverman says. "So the DA can ask the judge to give the jury the option of a Class 4 conviction. If the case is close, the jury may fall back on the lesser charge as a compromise. But it's not much of a compromise for Kobe. It still gets him a felony conviction and a minimum of 10 years' probation."
If Bryant were to be convicted on the Class 3 charge, he could draw a sentence ranging from probation to life imprisonment, plus a fine up to $750,000. First-time offenders are often excused from prison terms, although such leniency may not apply to sexual offenders. In the Denver date-rape case in 2000, the defendant was given a sentence of 16 years to life despite a clean record before that charge. Any convicted rapist is listed permanently on a public register of sexual offenders.
But even defendants who avoid a jail term face a harsh probation regime in this state, following the passage in 1998 of Colorado's Sexual Offenders Lifetime Supervision Act.
To be considered for probation, a convicted offender must admit to having committed rape -- a condition Bryant might not want to meet even if convicted. During probation the offender must attend mandatory treatment programs and report regularly for testing by polygraph and plethysmograph, a physical exam that measures recent sexual activity.
Although "date rape" cases often come down to the testimony of those involved, defense lawyers and prosecutors here say they expect to see additional evidence in the Bryant case.
Hurlbert has said he will rely on "testimonial and physical evidence" to make his case. Lawyers say he may be referring to bruises or other signs of a struggle on the victim's body, and the testimony of "outcry witnesses" -- friends who may have seen her in distress after the disputed evening.
© 2003 The Washington Post Company scoop (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48194-2003Jul25.html)

ducks
07-26-2003, 01:27 PM
To be considered for probation, a convicted offender must admit to having committed rape -- a condition Bryant might not want to meet even if convicted. During probation the offender must attend mandatory treatment programs and report regularly for testing by polygraph and plethysmograph, a physical exam that measures recent sexual activity.

:shock

ducks
07-26-2003, 03:30 PM
scoop (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=8&u=/ap/20030726/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bkn_bryant_threats_2)

DENVER - The FBI (news - web sites) is investigating threats against the district attorney prosecuting basketball star Kobe Bryant (news), The Denver Post reported Saturday on its Web site.
Krista Flannigan, spokeswoman for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, confirmed on Saturday that the threats were being investigated. The FBI did not return a call asking for comment Saturday morning.
"I wouldn't say threats (against the prosecutor) are common but it has happened in the past," Flannigan said.
Flannigan wouldn't comment on whether any threats had been made against the 19-year-old woman who alleges Bryant sexually assaulted her in Eagle County.
Nor would she say what precautions if any Hurlbert has taken. Visitors entering the office now must show identification and the door is locked, The Post said.
"It has been difficult for people to get their regular work done and accommodate the media, although I think they have a done a remarkable job," Flannigan said in a telephone interview.

LittleGeneral
07-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Very, very interesting, ducks. Keep us posted.

ducks
07-26-2003, 08:44 PM
EAGLE - Kobe Bryant's alleged victim was "almost in tears" after attending a party during which people asked her about the encounter, a friend said Friday.

"Some guys . . . were giving her a hard time," Nicole McDonough, 18, said Friday. "By the end of the night she was almost in tears."

Other reports this week have said the 19-year-old woman was bragging about having sex with Bryant. Steve Evancho, of nearby Gypsum, who reportedly hosted the party, declined to comment.

The woman, "was not bragging about anything," McDonough said.

She had gone to the party days after the sexual assault charge was filed July 18, trying to act like a normal teen, McDonough said. But she had some trepidation.

"She didn't really want to be asked by people" about the Bryant incident, McDonough said.

"She's just sick of the media," McDonough said.
scoop (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_2137381,00.html)

On Friday, Eagle County Court Judge Frederick W. Gannett announced rules governing the media in his courtroom. He said he'll allow one video camera and one still camera during proceedings.

Reports indicate the alleged victim attempted a pill overdose two months before she met the Los Angeles basketball player, and University of Northern Colorado police also determined she was a danger to herself four months before the two crossed paths. The woman was a freshman last year at UNC.

Friends say the woman normally has a strong constitution.

"She's always been a happy person so it's completely out of character for her to attempt suicide," Scriver said.

ducks
07-26-2003, 08:55 PM
if anyone is intersted in what a penile plethysmograph is click on the link
some intersting reading there if you are bored
webpage (http://skepdic.com/penilep.html)

MissAllThat
07-27-2003, 02:05 AM
She had gone to the party days after the sexual assault charge was filed July 18, trying to act like a normal teen, McDonough said. But she had some trepidation.

I feel sorry for her if this is true. I can understand that she would try to go on with her life, and it's pretty horrible that people would antagonize her for it.

LittleGeneral
07-27-2003, 06:26 PM
if anyone is intersted in what a penile plethysmograph is click on the link
some intersting reading there if you are bored
webpage

ducks, I'd recommend clicking the link even if you aren't bored. :)

ducks
07-28-2003, 09:21 PM
The judge this week will review written arguments about whether to make public 911 calls made during the past year from the home of the alleged victim in the Kobe Bryant case.

Police were called to her home earlier this year. The Vail Daily newspaper has sued to have the tapes made public.

Bryant is charged with one count of sexual assault after the woman claimed to police that he assaulted her June 30 at a mountain lodge where she worked and Bryant was staying.

Bryant, who is married, has acknowledged having had sex with the woman, but insists it was consensual and that he did not assault her.

Though Judge Richard H. Hart could rule as soon as Tuesday on the phone tapes, an attorney for the newspaper predicted the 5th Judicial District judge will delay his decision until after another judge hears oral arguments about whether to unseal court documents -- including the arrest warrant -- related to the case.

Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett is to hear those arguments Thursday and is expected to decide the issue this week.

Prosecution and defense lawyers have said they want all the documents to remain sealed and last week Gannett issued an order limiting what the lawyers can say outside the courtroom.

Gannett ruled Friday that one video camera and one still camera would be allowed in the August 6 hearing for Bryant.

That decision came after media outlets filed a petition requesting expanded coverage of the hearing, in which the Los Angeles Lakers star will hear the charge against him.

Gannett on Thursday told lawyers and investigators not to make statements outside of court that would have"substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing" proceedings in the case.

He stopped short of issuing a full gag order against participants in that hearing, but reminded lawyers and law enforcement officials of their obligations under professional conduct standards and said the order was issued "to advise and remind those interest of this matter of the applicable restrictions."

Meanwhile, the case has stirred strong emotions. This past weekend a spokeswoman for Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said his office has received a number of threats in recent days.

The FBI and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation are investigating the threats.

Spokeswoman Krista Flannigan would not divulge the nature of the threats, but she said the doors to the office of District Attorney Mark Hurlbert were locked Friday, even though the office carried on its normal business.

Also over the weekend, Kobe's lawyers were in Eagle County trying to learn all they can about the alleged victim.

CNN Correspondent Josie Burke and Producer Adam Reiss contributed to this report.
scoop (http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/07/28/bryant.case/)

ducks
07-29-2003, 02:32 PM
scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18428695)
Tuesday, July 29
Judge issues rules for media covering Bryant case
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

EAGLE, Colo. (AP) _ Citing ``intense public and media interest'' in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case, a judge issued a detailed order Tuesday for reporters covering next week's hearing.

Reporters will be barred from using cell phones and tape recorders inside the courthouse; photographing witnesses, potential jurors, and Bryant's accuser and her family; and parking on court grounds. Those spaces will be reserved for people involved in the trial, according to District Judge Terry Ruckriegle's order.

Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert has filed a felony charge of sexual assault against Bryant, a Los Angeles Lakers star accused of assaulting a 19-year-old Eagle woman June 30.

Bryant has said the sex was consensual. His initial court appearance is scheduled Aug. 6.

Hundreds of daily media calls have prompted officials to lock the district attorney's office to the public.

The Colorado Judicial Branch is launching a page this week devoted to the high-profile case on its Web site (www.courts.state.co.us) The page will have information on hearing schedules, motions rulings, biographies of judges and other details.

``I've had 150 calls a day. It's overwhelming,'' said Krista Flannigan, spokeswoman for the prosecutor. ``It seemed like it was going to save a lot of us time. Especially as court orders come out, they just don't have the staffing to make sure the media has everything.''

The door to Hurlbert's office, which previously had been open to the public, is now locked and posted with a sign saying the office is closed. A phone number is posted for visitors to leave messages.

Note: The following stories are the most recent wire transmissions from SportsTicker and other ESPN.com sources. Versions of some of these stories appear elsewhere on the service.

ducks
07-29-2003, 04:18 PM
LOS ANGELES - Sunday night Matt Drudge reported on his nationally syndicated radio show (heard at 7:15 p.m. Pacific time on KFI-AM in Los Angeles) the most provocative "dirty sex details" of the Kobe Bryant sexual assualt case so far.
Excerpt: "I've decided to reveal some of the dirty sex details of the case. I have been told it's anal sex. ... My sources have been telling me.
"That's why it's going to be controversial when it goes to trial. It's what is causing people a lot of uncomfortable feelings.
"Some of the details (of the case) are explosive. Dateline (NBC) had some of this information and decided not to air it. ... This speculation is quite solid from where I sit."
Drudge's revelation is nothing new to people frequenting message boards and newsgroups on the internet - but it does mark the first time someone has reported it (anal sex) via a mainstream media outlet.scoop (http://sportsbybrooks.com/mattdrudge.html)

ducks
07-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Prosecutor wins more money for Bryant case
Prosecutor wins more money for Bryant case
By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer
July 29, 2003

EAGLE, Colo. (AP) -- Prosecutors handling Kobe Bryant's sexual assault case won a request for additional money Tuesday, securing $105,000 from county commissioners and the possibility of more.

The aid could be increased again based on District Attorney Mark Hurlbert's needs, Eagle County commissioners said. Other counties in the judicial district could be asked to contribute to Hurlbert's $2 million budget, county finance director Mike Roeper said.

Roeper said it was the first time in his two-and-a-half years in office that a prosecutor has asked for additional funds.

ADVERTISEMENT
Dozens of reporters are expected here next week for Bryant's initial court appearance on a felony sexual assault charge. The Los Angeles Lakers superstar has said his 19-year-old accuser had sex with him willingly at a resort in nearby Edwards on June 30.

Hurlbert's office has deputy district attorneys, but so far he has been the lone prosecutor to address the case publicly. Ingrid Bakke, head of Boulder's sex assault and domestic violence unit, is on loan for up to a year to help in the high-profile case.

Bryant's defense team, attorneys Pamela Mackey and Hal Haddon, have won praise from legal experts for their courtroom and public-relations savvy.

The Colorado Judicial Branch this week is expected to launch a Web site page devoted to the case. The page will have information on hearing schedules, motions rulings and other details.

``I've had 150 calls a day. It's overwhelming,'' said Krista Flannigan, spokeswoman for the prosecutor. ``It seemed like it was going to save a lot of us time. Especially as court orders come out, they just don't have the staffing to make sure the media has everything.''

The door to Hurlbert's office, which had been open to the public, is now locked and posted with a sign saying the office is closed. A phone number is posted for visitors to leave messages.

A judge issued a detailed order Tuesday for reporters covering the Aug. 6 hearing, outlining procedures right down to parking availability.

Reporters will be barred from using cell phones and tape recorders and interviews inside the courthouse, photographing witnesses, potential jurors and Bryant's accuser and her family. Some of the parking will be reserved for people involved in the trial, District Judge Terry Ruckriegle said.scoop (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-bryantcase&prov=ap&type=lgns)

ducks
07-29-2003, 07:35 PM
County to launch Web site for Kobe case updates
EAGLE, Colo. -- Citing "intense public and media interest'' in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case, a judge issued a detailed order Tuesday for reporters covering next week's hearing.

Reporters will be barred from using cell phones and tape recorders inside the courthouse; photographing witnesses, potential jurors, and Bryant's accuser and her family; and parking on court grounds. Those spaces will be reserved for people involved in the trial, according to District Judge Terry Ruckriegle's order.

Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert has filed a felony charge of sexual assault against Bryant, a Los Angeles Lakers star accused of assaulting a 19-year-old Eagle woman June 30.

Bryant has said the sex was consensual. His initial court appearance is scheduled Aug. 6.

Hundreds of daily media calls have prompted officials to lock the district attorney's office to the public.

The Colorado Judicial Branch is launching a page this week devoted to the high-profile case on its Web site (www.courts.state.co.us). The page will have information on hearing schedules, motions rulings, biographies of judges and other details.

"I've had 150 calls a day. It's overwhelming,'' said Krista Flannigan, spokeswoman for the prosecutor. "It seemed like it was going to save a lot of us time. Especially as court orders come out, they just don't have the staffing to make sure the media has everything.''

The door to Hurlbert's office, which previously had been open to the public, is now locked and posted with a sign saying the office is closed. A phone number is posted for visitors to leave messages.

The office is beginning to receive aid from neighboring prosecution teams.

Ingrid Bakke, head of Boulder's sex assault and domestic violence unit, is on loan to the 5th Judicial District for up to a year to help in the high-profile case.

"She's a solid prosecutor not vulnerable to media influence,'' Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan said Monday. "I have no doubt she can handle the pressure.''

Eagle County officials have talked with their counterparts in Denver and are receiving aid from Pitkin County. sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1586942 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1586942)

ducks
07-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Bryant's attorneys ask judge to reconsider courtroom cameras
EAGLE, Colo. (AP) _ Kobe Bryant's attorneys on Tuesday asked a judge to reconsider his ruling allowing news cameras in the courtroom where Bryant is expected to appear next week, saying theywere concerned about publicity.

Also Tuesday, Eagle County commissioners gave District Attorney Mark Hurlbert additional money to prosecute the sexual assault case against the Los Angeles Lakers star.

Bryant has said his 19-year-old accuser had sex with him willingly at a resort in nearby Edwards on June 30.

Bryant's attorneys, Pamela Mackey and Hal Haddon, said they were worried that publicity could affect Bryant's right to a fair trial. They said they weren't given the chance to present arguments before County Judge Fred Gannett issued his ruling on cameras last week.

They also asked for a hearing on how the media should be allowed to cover court proceedings and asked to present arguments on any future requests for expanded media coverage.

Haddon and Mackey didn't return calls seeking comment.

Meanwhile, attorneys for media organizations filed motions to open sealed court records, saying many details have already been publicized, some by Bryant and Hurlbert.

``Ironically, at the same time, both the district attorney and Bryant are opposing the very thing that would permit the public to independently test the veracity of their public relations statements, i.e., unsealing the court file,'' the attorneys wrote.

County commissioners gave Hurlbert an additional $105,000 to help handle costs of the case, and left open the possibility of more.

They approved an additional $45,000 to the sheriff's office for activities unrelated to the Bryant case.

County finance director Mike Roeper said Lake, Summit and Clear Creek counties, which make up the 5th Judicial District along with Eagle County, could be asked to contribute additional money to Hurlbert's budget, which was $2 million before the extra allocation.

Roeper said it was the first time in his 2{ years in office that a prosecutor has asked for additional funds.

Hurlbert also got some additional expertise: Ingrid Bakke, head of Boulder County's sex assault and domestic violence unit, is on loan for up to a year to help with the case.

``She's a solid prosecutor not vulnerable to media influence,'' Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan told The Daily Camera of Boulder. ``I have no doubt she can handle the pressure.''

Eagle County officials are also talking with their counterparts in Denver and are receiving aid from nearby Pitkin County, the county seat for celebrity haven Aspen.

The case against Bryant has put Eagle in a media spotlight. Dozens of reporters are expected next week for Bryant's initial court appearance on a felony sexual assault charge.

Prosecutors and others have been forced to make changes to accommodate the media.

The Colorado Judicial Branch this week is expected to launch a Web site devoted to the case, its first such effort. The page will have information on hearing schedules, motions rulings and other details.

``I've had 150 calls a day. It's overwhelming,'' said Krista Flannigan, Hurlbert's spokeswoman. ``It seemed like it was going to save a lot of us time.''

The door to Hurlbert's office, which had been open to the public, is now locked and posted with a sign saying the office is closed. A phone number is posted for visitors to leave messages.

Gannett and state District Judge Terry Ruckriegle on Tuesday issued a detailed ``decorum'' order for reporters covering the Aug. 6 hearing.

Reporters will be barred from using cell phones and tape recorders and from interviewing people inside the courthouse. No photos or video may be taken of witnesses, potential jurors and Bryant's accuser and her family. Courthouse parking will be reserved for people involved in the trial.

The sheriff's office told reporters and camera crews that they cannot use the courthouse parking lot after noon on Wednesday and must remove their tents from the courthouse grounds. scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18494668)

ducks
07-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Wednesday, July 30
Prosecution expected to pursue injuries, inconsistency
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services
The case against Kobe Bryant will focus on injuries suffered by the alleged victim and the prosecution's belief that Bryant intentionally deceived law enforcement officials, sources familiar with the prosecution's case have told ESPN and ABC News.

Those sources claim that Bryant met his alleged victim when she gave him a tour of the Lodge & Spa at the Cordillera, during which he extended an invitation for the woman to come to his room later that evening, which she accepted.

The 19-year-old woman did come to Bryant's room the night of June 30, where she spent less than half an hour, according to the sources.

ABC News sources claim that the two engaged in some consensual sexual activity in Bryant's room, but that the intercourse that took place was not consensual. Those same sources say that the alleged victim sustained some physical injuries, which Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlburt and his staff plan to say prove that the sex was not consensual.

According to ESPN's sources, prosecutors also believe that Bryant intentionally deceived police officers and that his statements to them were inconsistent.

The Los Angeles Lakers guard is free on bond pending an Aug. 6 court hearing during which he will be formally advised of the charge against himscoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1587569)

ducks
07-30-2003, 08:17 PM
:shock :shock :shock

ducks
07-31-2003, 06:44 PM
EAGLE, Colo. (AP) _ A judge rejected Kobe Bryant's request to skip next week's initial court appearance in his sexual assault case, his attorney said Thursday.

Hal Haddon said the request was filed Thursday morning and rejected a few hours later by Judge Fred Gannett. Haddon commented during a break in a hearing on a media organization request to see sealed court records in the high-profile case.

Chris Beall, representing several media organizations, argued the NBA superstar waived his right to privacy when he declared his innocence at a news conference hours after the sexual assault charge was filed.

Beall said the presumption of public access to court records is ``a hallmark of our judicial system.''

``Every day that goes by when the public doesn't have an opportunity to understand the evidence is a day lost under the Constitution,'' he said in a courtroom filed with reporters.

``The defendant has asserted that the release of the arrest warrant and search warrant affidavit will harm his right to privacy,'' he said. ``However, the defendant has made admissions on international TV of a sexual relationship he says was consensual with the victim. That statement is a waiver of his right to privacy with respect to those facts.''

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert and defense lawyers have argued the records should be withheld because publicity could affect Bryant's right to a fair trial.

The judge said he would not rule before Bryant's court appearance Wednesday.

Bryant is charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman. The 24-year-old husband and father of one says he had sex with the hotel worker but denies he sexually assaulted her. He is free on $25,000 bond.

Much of the information about the allegation against the Los Angeles Lakers star has been sealed, such as the arrest affidavit and court records that could provide clues to the evidence.

Gannett has ordered a limit on public comment about the case by attorneys, authorities and others, including Bryant and any witnesses. He said the order was necessary to guarantee a fair trial.

Gannett also has warned organizations not to publish or broadcast the name or photograph of any witness, juror, potential juror or the alleged victim and her family on the courthouse grounds. Any organization violating the order could be denied a seat in the courtroom.

Hurlbert has said he had both physical and testimonial evidence to prove the case. He said Bryant forced the victim into ``submission'' through physical force but refused to disclose other details.