PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Jiffy Lube, could you bend over please?

IceColdBrewski
03-21-2008, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI&eurl=http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=77146

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiCAJ8ULnaI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiCAJ8ULnaI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

AlamoSpursFan
03-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Wow, that's even better than several years ago when KENS caught Gene Brown Transmissions trying to sell them a $1500 transmission rebuild on a new car with a vacuum line unhooked.

:lol

mrsmaalox
03-22-2008, 12:12 PM
My brother was a store manager at one of those "Andy Granatelli's TuneUp Masters" in Las Vegas back in the 80's; it was a job requirement to do that kind of thing and when he didn't go along with it he was fired.

Dex
03-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I need to learn how to fix my own car. :(

TheTruth
03-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow, I have a feeling the same thing happens at most every lube place. Fucking crooks.

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Find a good local mechanic with a small shop. Ask around. National chains are almost invariably bad news. Corporate gives them numbers that they must hit.

MannyIsGod
03-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Well - you're getting raped if you go to Jiffy Lube to begin with. Those oil change prices are fucking NUTS.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:44 PM
change your own..

put pan under car, twist off drain plug,put pan under hole,drain oil, put drain plug back on, pour in oil suggested in owners manual....

IceColdBrewski
03-22-2008, 11:51 PM
change your own..

Walmart does it for $18. I did the math and found I was saving a whopping $3 by jacking up the car (good times in the hot sun), crawling underneath it and going through the hassle of doing it myself. Now Walmart does it while I get my grocery shopping done. Two birds, one stone.

Heath Ledger
03-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Last time i will ever go to jiffy lube!

PM5K
03-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Just thought I'd add a little something to this.

The style of Jeep that's shown in the video actually has one of two types of filters:

An inline fuel filter that is not in the fuel tank

Or a fuel filter that is part of the fuel pump which does not require periodic replacement.

So either they recommended service that doesn't exist, or the news station marked the wrong filter.

Mister Sinister
03-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Eh. I go to Firestone.

lebomb
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I go to HnA.

Honda and Acura automotive for my Accord. Been going there for 10yrs or more.

AlamoSpursFan
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Walmart does it for $18. I did the math and found I was saving a whopping $3 by jacking up the car (good times in the hot sun), crawling underneath it and going through the hassle of doing it myself. Now Walmart does it while I get my grocery shopping done. Two birds, one stone.

Just make sure they put the drain plug back in. The Wally World that used to be on I-35 by Windsor Park had to shell out a pretty penny to replace the engine in my mom's Mercury minivan when they forgot to check that little detail...

Fat Bones
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Just make sure they put the drain plug back in. The Wally World that used to be on I-35 by Windsor Park had to shell out a pretty penny to replace the engine in my mom's Mercury minivan when they forgot to check that little detail...

And just in case they are successful at replacing the plug, check the oil level. It's often wrong. Too much oil blows seals, not enough...that's not too good either.

Jiffy Lube on Broadway in Alamo Heights only stripped the oil plug on my sister's Suburban ...and wouldn't take responsibility for it. I guess she was lucky.

phyzik
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
wow. I change my oil most of the time myself but when I take it to someone else, its only to the Express Lube on Hillcrest and Babcock. Those guys are cool and plus you can stand just outside the work bay and see all the work they are doing.

Wild Cobra
03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, it's a mistake to go to Jiffy Lube, Wal-Mart, or any place that hires cheap labor for something like an oil change. The best route is either go to a dealership, or some place that has developed a reputation. Oil changes at market value are too inexpensive to try to save a few bux on with someone who has a far larger change of doing damage to your vehicle.

cherylsteele
03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
wow. I change my oil most of the time myself but when I take it to someone else, its only to the Express Lube on Hillcrest and Babcock. Those guys are cool and plus you can stand just outside the work bay and see all the work they are doing.
I was going to say something like this.
Just stand there and watch them, you can usually see them right by the bay in the parking lot, actually watch them remove the filter and put the new one on.