PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West would consider a New York Knicks job - Lebron you listening?

Allanon
03-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Newsday.com
Sources: Jerry West interested in Knicks job

BY KEN BERGER

[email protected]

11:37 PM EDT, March 20, 2008
Click here to find out more!

It was no surprise that when Jerry West was reached at his Los Angeles home Thursday night, he was watching basketball. Southern Cal and Kansas State were playing on his television screen, but as usual West's active mind was racing with other possibilities.

West, 69, the architect of the Lakers' dynasty whose silhouette famously adorns the NBA logo, somehow has been overlooked as Knicks executives begin the process of evaluating their options if they decide to remove Isiah Thomas from power.

Three people with ties to West told Newsday Thursday that the Hall of Famer would be interested in running the Knicks if the job were offered to him.

"He would definitely take the job," said one of the people, a former executive in the league familiar with West's thinking as he weighs his options almost a year after retiring from his post with the Memphis Grizzlies.

A current executive said that although West has confided that he's not sure he wants to run another franchise now, "It wouldn't surprise me. He's such an A-type personality. It's hard for him to sit on the sidelines and not be involved."

Who better than West himself to address his future and whether he would consider running the Knicks?

"I have not had any contact from anyone about any job, period," West told Newsday. "I have not been approached. I do not know what my response would be to any job opportunity, but I'm not out actively campaigning for anything."

As for those who insist West wants the Knicks' job, he said, "That's something I've never indicated to anyone."

But those close to West say privately that running the Knicks always has intrigued him. Despite the popular notion that he isn't comfortable with New York, West said, "The disdain I would have for New York, that would be a very strong word." West said he's not sure how he would react if the Knicks approached him, but didn't close the door.

"When you're not working, you spend a lot of time and you say to yourself, 'Should someone else have an opportunity? Am I still capable of doing these things?"' West said. "So I question myself all the time, I do. But I don't know what I would do ... I'm just never sure whether or not I want to do something again."

But the more West spoke on the phone, the more it became apparent that his passion for basketball has not receded.

"You need routines and you need habits," West said. "And my routines and habits have been because of basketball, nothing else."

League executives and former executives monitoring recent reports about the Knicks' interest in Donnie Walsh believe the Pacers' CEO prefers to stay in Indiana. They are mystified that West's name has been largely ignored.

When West announced his retirement last April, Garden chairman James Dolan said in a radio interview that if Thomas was OK with bringing in West, "I'd be prime for this." Dolan has not commented publicly in more than a year, and Garden spokesman Barry Watkins declined to comment.

Those familiar with West's thinking said he is intrigued by the fan support in New York and the prestige of the job, and that he noticed how the city embraced the Giants after they won Super Bowl XLII. But they also say he recognizes what an immense challenge turning around the Knicks would be.

His concerns are said to include how quickly the roster could be rebuilt and the fact that the organization is contractually bound to Thomas, with whom West is known to share mutual respect and admiration. Asked if he would consider the job if required to keep Thomas as coach, West said, "I would not answer that question."

The most important question for the Knicks to propose to West -- "Would you be interested?" -- hasn't been asked yet.

"I don't know if I'd do it," West said. "It would be nice, privately, if somebody had an interest enough to want to talk to you about it. That would be exciting, yes."

timvp
03-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Jerry West the general manager is pretty overrated. He got exposed in Memphis for not really having the great eye for talent many claim he had. That said, West is the master of luring players to the limelight. With the Lakers, he used the city of LA to lure and keep players there when they could have had bigger contracts elsewhere.

West, when paired with a major city, is good at assembling a team. If I'm the Knicks, I'd consider handing him the keys. Although, it'd probably be best to keep Isiah Thomas through the draft so he can work his draft magic one last time.

JMarkJohns
03-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Jerry West the general manager is pretty overrated. He got exposed in Memphis for not really having the great eye for talent many claim he had. That said, West is the master of luring players to the limelight. With the Lakers, he used the city of LA to lure and keep players there when they could have had bigger contracts elsewhere.

West, when paired with a major city, is good at assembling a team. If I'm the Knicks, I'd consider handing him the keys. Although, it'd probably be best to keep Isiah Thomas through the draft so he can work his draft magic one last time.

Took the words right out of my mouth. He'd be good, not great, and until there's CAP space, he may struggle to be good. They need to fire bomb that team and get whatever they can in expiring contracts and picks for contracts that expire in the next two seasons.

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Jerry isn't that great, but then again, following Isaiah isn't that tough. The most difficult thing will be to get rid of deadwood AND sign players only through 2010 so you have the money to make a run at LeBron.

JMarkJohns
03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Jerry isn't that great, but then again, following Isaiah isn't that tough. The most difficult thing will be to get rid of deadwood AND sign players only through 2010 so you have the money to make a run at LeBron.

While not on the scale of the Knicks, in 2003-04 the Suns payroll was upwards of 80 million. They were able to trim nearly 50 million off in one season via trades. They traded Marbury/Hardaway/filler to New York for McDyess, Eisley, Ward, filler, Lampe, two future 1sts. With McDyess and Ward coming off the books, that instantly saved them 25 million. They then took the two 21sts and packaged them with Gugliotta's 18 million salary and shipped him off to the Jazz, who were under the CAP at the time, receiving the expiring contract of Keon Clark in return, saving them 18 million to go with the previous 25 million. Then they took their #7 pick and traded it to Chicago for a 2nd rounder and future 1st saving them approximately 3 million.

When all was said and done, they'd trimmed 48 million off their books and had enough to make a run at Kobe, then sign Nash and Richardson.

I'm not saying it would be this easy, since the Suns lucked out on having Thomas be on the other end of the trade, but I mean, look at Miami with Shaq? The Knicks will have to settle for 50 cents on the dollar as far as compensation goes, but so long as they can clear enough space to offer James a max contract in 2010, then that's all that matters. James, maybe Lee and a few other young players/picks. As TimVP said, West can find the veterans to fill out the competative roster.