View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs notebook: Vaughn garners praise for 11-point, 7-assist feat

Bruno
03-22-2008, 06:47 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032208.08C.BKNspurs.notebook.3e60493.html

Web Posted: 03/22/2008 12:25 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Sacramento assistant coach Kenny Natt was on Jerry Sloan's Utah Jazz staff when Jacque Vaughn arrived there in 1997, a rookie understudy to point-guard great John Stockton.

"I called him Jack Vaughn," Natt said before Friday's Spurs-Kings game at AT&T Center. "No point guard who came out of Los Angeles can call himself Jacque Anything."

After Vaughn's performance off the bench in the Spurs' 102-89 victory over the Kings, Natt may have been calling him "Magic" Vaughn.

In 18 minutes and 15 seconds, Vaughn scored 11 points and dished out a team-high seven assists, with a lone turnover.

"He's playing great," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of the veteran who has re-established his status as Tony Parker's primary backup. "He's been a great leader. He's been aggressive and he's finding the right people.

"He's confident enough to take shots and he's getting to the basket."

Vaughn said he reminded his bench teammates of the importance of bringing energy in the team's second game of its fifth set of back-to-backs this month.

"That, and not trying to overlook Sacramento because we have Dallas on Sunday," Vaughn said. "I just wanted to bring defensive energy, and I told the bench guys we all needed to do that tonight."

Horry MRI: Backup power forward Robert Horry banged knees with Kings guard Francisco Garcia with 3:45 remaining in the first quarter and spent the rest of the game in the Spurs' locker room.

The 36-year-old veteran of 15 previous NBA seasons is scheduled for an MRI exam this morning.

His availability for Sunday's game against the Mavericks at American Airlines Arena in Dallas won't be known until the test results are read.

Barry eligible Sunday: Shooting guard Brent Barry, eligible to sign a new contract with the Spurs on Sunday, has made it clear he wants to re-join the club as soon as he can.

But even if the Spurs re-sign him Sunday morning, it isn't likely he would be in uniform for that afternoon's game.

Neither general manager R.C. Buford nor Popovich would comment about Barry before Friday's game.

The veteran guard is expected to sign a new deal with the Spurs before the team heads to Orlando for a game Tuesday against the Magic.

The Spurs traded Barry, Francisco Elson and a future first-round draft pick to Seattle for Kurt Thomas.

The Sonics subsequently waived Barry.

NBA rules prohibit a released player from re-signing with a team that traded him for 30 days after the completion of a deal.

The Spurs haven't been allowed to examine Barry's injured left calf in the interim, and Barry hasn't been allowed to use the team's training and medical facilities.

mystargtr34
03-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Any ideas on the type of contract Barry will sign?

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 08:06 AM
6 yrs worth 148 mil

bdictjames
03-22-2008, 09:33 AM
6 yrs worth 148 mil
:lol

Hey Isaiah stay out of this.

T Park
03-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Barry hasn't been allowed to use the team's training and medical facilities.

That answers that.

In other words Barry has been out running at the gold's gym and playing pickup games.

Hope that calf is ok.

Big P
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Any ideas on the type of contract Barry will sign?

More than likely it will be a 2 or 3 year deal for the minimum, with a player option I'm sure.

J.T.
03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
That answers that.

In other words Barry has been out running at the gold's gym and playing pickup games.

Hope that calf is ok.

More like, he has been living in mouse's living room, practicing his stand-up routine.

Bruno
03-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Horry badly struggles to be in shape this year. I'm not sold at all on him but he isn't the worst player in the nab like he was a couple of month ago. If he misses some times that close to the playoff, it could become ugly in the postseason. I'm convinced Pop is doing a mistake by letting Bonner in the doghouse.

I'm curious to see what Barry contract will be. The CBA isn't clear on that but it's possible that Spurs are able to give him a contract that will give him $2.6M next year without going over the tax this year.

polandprzem
03-22-2008, 10:39 AM
That answers that.

Hope that calf is ok.

He probably went to private clinic. Monroe should do a reaserch of that.

Mo' smoo boo witho roberto horro

loveforthegame
03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
The Spurs haven't been allowed to examine Barry's injured left calf in the interim, and Barry hasn't been allowed to use the team's training and medical facilities.

That sucks. Let's hope Barry's been taking care of himself.

Russ
03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032208.08C.BKNspurs.notebook.3e60493.html

Horry MRI: Backup power forward Robert Horry banged knees with Kings guard Francisco Garcia with 3:45 remaining in the first quarter and spent the rest of the game in the Spurs' locker room.

The 36-year-old veteran of 15 previous NBA seasons is scheduled for an MRI exam this morning.
That's what jumps out at me.

T Park
03-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm not sold at all on him but he isn't the worst player in the nab like he was a couple of month ago

The NBA's talent level must have been at an all time high if he was the "worst player"

YoMamaIsCallin
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
he isn't the worst player in the nab like he was a couple of month ago.

We need to adopt this as the new in, hip thing to call the NBA: the "nab". It's a lot easier to say: one syllable "nab" vs. three syllables "en bee ayh". And people who aren't cool will be all like "The Nab? What's that??" We'll turn to them, eyes lowered, and say in a fake soft voice as if we were embarassed for them: "the league, man. The en bee ayh."

Manu_Ginobili
03-22-2008, 02:46 PM
That sucks. Let's hope Barry's been taking care of himself.

Barry had prompt training while waiting to get back to play for the Spurs...

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 03:06 PM
You can bet your ass that while he hasn't been able to use team facilities, Barry probably has seen the team doctors, off campus. They have private practices, too. My guess is that he's been working out at one of the local colleges. He should be in all but game shape, which comes from playing.

timvp
03-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm convinced Pop is doing a mistake by letting Bonner in the doghouse.If Horry isn't producing, I'm fine with a bigman rotation of Duncan, Oberto and Thomas. No need to add a fourth big to the rotation. The Spurs almost always play three bigs in the playoffs, anyways.

The fourth big who played the most minutes on a championship Spurs team? Francisco Elson.

That said, hopefully Horry is okay. He was vital last year against the Nuggets. There are a number of teams that Horry will be useful against in the playoffs to spread the floor against and guard star power forwards (Nuggets, Pistons, Celtics, Lakers, Suns).

T Park
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
yeah if they don't have Horry, i don't think win the ring.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
timvp, are you happy with what K Thomas has given the Spurs so far? You brought up a great point about how well he's been playing with Manu off the bench.

I'm actually hoping to see K Thomas get the second highest number of minutes for a big (behind TD of course). While Oberto is more mobile, I think Thomas is the better rebounder/defender and has a J that can keep the defense honest.

1Parker1
03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
yeah if they don't have Horry, i don't think win the ring.

So if Horry isn't healthy or able to play, you think the Spurs won't win a ring? :wtf

T Park
03-22-2008, 05:19 PM
So if Horry isn't healthy or able to play, you think the Spurs won't win a ring? :wtf

Not with the current personnel no i don't.

Bruno
03-22-2008, 05:35 PM
The NBA's talent level must have been at an all time high if he was the "worst player"

Just a little stat :
In December and January, Horry FG% was 18%. He took 49 shots and made 9 of them.

Horry was horrible soon in the season. He has been better (or less horrible) since the second leg of the RRT.

1Parker1
03-22-2008, 06:10 PM

:lol Not with the current personnel? You mean with a healthy Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili you think the thing that won't get the Spurs a championship this year is Robert Horry? What about the fact that the Spurs still have Kurt Thomas and Oberto?

So what do you think the Spurs chances are next year of winning a championship when Horry retires?

roycrikside
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't understand why Pop and our FO continue to be such humorless, stuck-up hardasses when it comes to the Barry signing. Why not just tell the media the obvious, that they plan to sign him?

It's not like the cat's not out of the bag already. Kerr, Cuban, Ainge, they all said that they gave up acquiring him and that he's going back to the Spurs. What is the big fucking deal?

If they announce their intentions one second before the 30 day deadline is up, will they face Stern's wrath or something?

roycrikside
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM

This is hilarious. You're on pins and needles about the playoff availability of a guy averaging less than 3 points and 3 rebounds. Frankie Elson could've given you that.

He's been our worst player most of the season and I honestly don't care if he ever plays another second for us or not. Horry can go on IR and take Stoudamire and Finley with him.

He's been stealing money for three years. Pop should've taken the 10M or so Horry made since 05-06 and given it to cancer research or the United Way or something. Better money spent.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
:lol Not with the current personnel? You mean with a healthy Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili you think the thing that won't get the Spurs a championship this year is Robert Horry? What about the fact that the Spurs still have Kurt Thomas and Oberto?

So what do you think the Spurs chances are next year of winning a championship when Horry retires?

Better due to Splitter, Mahinmi, and whatever the MLE brings in.

Yes Horry is that important.

The Spurs don't get by the Nuggets last year without Horry and Finley. Two guys you routinely love to rip up.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
This is hilarious. You're on pins and needles about the playoff availability of a guy averaging less than 3 points and 3 rebounds. Frankie Elson could've given you that.

He's been our worst player most of the season and I honestly don't care if he ever plays another second for us or not. Horry can go on IR and take Stoudamire and Finley with him.

He's been stealing money for three years. Pop should've taken the 10M or so Horry made since 05-06 and given it to cancer research or the United Way or something. Better money spent.

This is the reason why Spurs fans are ridiculued and never taken serious...