PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Kings Mar. 21

timvp
03-22-2008, 07:18 AM
The Spurs took another step in separating themselves from their four-game losing streak by beating the Sacramento Kings on Friday night. The Kings did a good job of making it a competitive game for most of the evening until the Spurs were able to pull away late. The Spurs didn’t play great but they got what they needed most – a win.

The Kings are actually a tough matchup for the Spurs. Ron Artest is bigger and stronger than anyone the Spurs have to defend him. Kevin Martin is a crafty scorer who knows all the tricks offensively. Brad Miller can spread the floor with his shooting and his passing. While the Kings’ future doesn’t look especially bright at the moment, at the very least they have a definite keeper in Martin.

For the second straight games, the Spurs’ offense looked to be clicking. The ball movement was good and the Spurs didn’t run into too many lulls during this contest. Defensively, the Spurs were again solid. Holding the Kings to 38.7% shooting was an encouraging sign.

Overall, the Spurs played well enough. The big test will be the game against the Dallas Mavericks on Sunday. A win in Dallas is important to keep the momentum headed in the right direction.

-Tim Duncan wasn’t overly effective but he was active. In the last two games, it appears as if Duncan has made it a point to make more of an impact. He’s becoming more aggressive in the low block offensively and has upped his energy level on defense. On this night, Duncan finished with 21 points, 13 rebounds, three assists, three blocks and two steals in 32 minutes of playing time. While his shooting was a bit off (8-for-18), everyone on the team did a good job of repeatedly feeding Duncan the ball.

-Manu Ginobili had his second straight quiet game. This time, though, Ginobili didn’t struggle. With the athletic defenders of the Kings checking him, most notably Artest, Ginobili did a great job of not forcing the issue offensively. He instead kept the ball moving and attacked when he had a path to the basket. Ginobili ended up with nine points, five assists and two rebounds, while shooting 3-for-5 from the field. He started the game off poorly defensively but eventually raised his effort on that end of the court. This wasn’t a highlight reel night for Ginobili but he put in a good 27 minutes of work.

-Tony Parker continues his improved play. It appears that Parker has regained most of the confidence he lost when he was dealing with his ankle problem. If he can stay healthy, Parker should help this team make a strong push into the playoffs and beyond. He was attacking well and did a good job of finding the open man when he penetrated. In 32 minutes, Parker had 19 points, seven assists, four rebounds and only one turnover. Although he hit only 6-of-14 shots, he did sink both of his three-point attempts. Parker is now 6-for-12 on three-pointers in the month of March. As a Spurs fan, you have to be happy with the way Parker’s play has progressed over the last couple weeks. His defense can still stand improvement and he can still attack even more offensively, but he’s playing a lot better than he was in earlier March.

-In his 29 minutes of action, Bruce Bowen played pretty well. He had success defensively against Martin, however he didn’t have much success against Artest. Bowen, like the rest of the Spurs, can’t do much with Artest once he gets rolling. Offensively, Bowen shot the ball well. He had ten points on 3-for-4 shooting from the field, including 2-for-2 on threes. He’s shooting the ball with a lot of confidence these days.

-It’s too early to claim that he’s completely back but Michael Finley has alleviated fears that he was completely done after having his second straight good shooting game. Against the Kings, Finley knocked down 4-of-9 shots, including 1-of-3 three-pointers. While his defense still is sub par and his rebounding is non-existent, at least his shooting appears to be coming back.

-Fabricio Oberto didn’t have a very good game. The Kings weren’t respecting him offensively, which resulted in poor spacing when Oberto was on the court. Defensively, he was average but his defensive rebounding (2) could have been better. On the night, Oberto had six points and five rebounds in 23 minutes.

-Ime Udoka had a good game shooting the ball. He hit 3-of-5 shots from the field to finish with seven points. Defensively he was active but he wasn’t especially effective. The Kings had success going right at him. Udoka’s inability to defend the stronger perimeter players this year such as Artest has been somewhat disappointing, however I haven’t given up on him in that regard. With better technique, he could become the Spurs’ answer to players like Artest.

-I thought Kurt Thomas quietly had one of his better games as a Spur. He had eight points and seven rebounds, while shooting 4-for-6 from the field. With the Kings upping the level of physicality at certain points in the game, Thomas didn’t hold back in dishing out some punishment of his own. Thomas and Ginobili are turning into a nice one-two punch off the bench for the Spurs.

-Jacque Vaughn was great. He was the best player on the court for the Spurs this game. Defensively, he was insanely active and offensively he was making all the right decisions. Since he’s gotten his backup point guard job back, it’s like Vaughn was shot out of a cannon. He enters the game with a bundle of infectious energy. In 18 minutes, Vaughn had 11 points, seven assists and one turnover. Hopefully Vaughn can keep up this level of energy for the rest of the season.

-Robert Horry’s injury put a damper on the win. Horry left the game early on after suffering a knee injury. The Spurs are reportedly worried about some sort of kneecap injury. Horry will have an MRI today to check for damage. Hopefully that MRI comes back clean and Horry is able to return to the lineup soon.

-When you see Damon Stoudamire and Matt Bonner headed to check into the game, as a Spurs fan you know that’s either really good news or really bad news. Tonight, the news was good. Might Mouse and Scott Tenorman made sure that the Kings continued to experience unfathomable sadness.

-Pop stuck to his new rotation and he has to be happy with the result. Even though the Spurs didn’t play great, the pieces to the puzzle seem to fit well.

If Horry has to miss time, it’ll be interesting to see if Bonner enters the rotation or whether Pop will just give more time to Oberto and Thomas. My guess would be the ladder.

The bottomline is the Spurs got the much needed win. Now the focus shifts to the Mavs game on Sunday. The Spurs need to win that game to not only help their own confidence but to help shatter Dallas’ confidence. The Mavs are 0-7 against teams with winning records since the Jason Kidd trade. If the Spurs can make that 0-8, the Mavs and Mav Fan will sink even further into depression.

The last time the Spurs had this opportunity, they let the Suns get a win. The Suns were reeling after the Shaquille O'Neal trade and seemed to be on the brink of imploding ... but all became well once they beat the Spurs. The Suns haven’t lost since.

This time, the Spurs need to handle their business. It’s time to kick the Mavs while they are down.

Believe.

byrontx
03-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks again for these great recaps. They are better than anything in the commercial press.

Manu-of-steel
03-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the great recap, timvp. i'm glad the spurs are trying to get back into the right direction. hopefully, we can continue with this solid play and spank the mavs this sunday. go spurs!

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
No kidding on the end there.

Maybe we go into Dallas and take it seriously unlike we did at Phoenix.

some_user86
03-22-2008, 08:37 AM
If Horry has to miss time, it’ll be interesting to see if Bonner enters the rotation or whether Pop will just give more time to Oberto and Thomas. My guess would be the ladder.

Bonner has fallen so out of rotation, that a ladder is beating him off the bench???!!!

Spurs Brazil
03-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Great recap timvp

I'm very happy Vaughn is the backup PG again. He's not a great player but he plays with a lot of energy and know the system very well.

1Parker1
03-22-2008, 08:59 AM
The Mavs game is also a big game for the Spurs as they haven't beat an above .500 team in their last 7 or 8 games either.

Mavs always seem to play at a much higher level and with a confidence against the Spurs. They're going to be fired up after losing two close ones to the Lakers and Celtics. Combined with the tension by mgt, you just know the Mavs are going to give it their all and look at the game on Sunday as a Must Win...especially since they may drop to the 8th seed soon enough. :wow

Spurs have to be careful, and while these wins against the Bulls and Kings were in the right direction, I think this game against the Mavs will be a true barometer as to where the Spurs are and if they've learned anything from their 4 game losing streak.

Admidave50
03-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Good job as always!

I'm expecting TP to be owning JK Sunday, No J/K!

Southwest Texas Fan
03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Great stuff Timvp. I hope the Spurs can take this momentum into Dallas and get a little run going before the playoffs start. They have Orlando on Tuesday and Houston next Sunday. The other two games are with teams below .500. The team could win the rest of March. Believe!!

colargol
03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Thank you timvp.

I think TP is already in play off mode ...... guess he's going to increase his 3 points production..he save it for the end off the season!!
With a regular three points shooting TP gonna be unstoppable....

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Great work. :tu

Vaughn is starting to become our energy guy nowadays. :tu

T Park
03-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Hopefully the team gets up for Dallas.

It will be tough to beat them without Robert Horry. Ditto on tuesday vs Orlando.

spursintpe
03-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I see you said Ginobili had a second straight quiet game. Why do you think that is?

Is he laying back because of defense on him? Is Pop not calling plays for him?

He only took 5 shots.

SenorSpur
03-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Great stuff, as always!

You're right. The Spurs absolutely HAVE to win in Dallas on Sunday. As important as a win on Sunday will be for their own confidence, it would also be yet another nail in the fragile mental confidence of the Mavericks, who are really stumbling.

ducks
03-22-2008, 10:48 AM
the spurs need to play a full 48 minutes of spurs ball when they do that they can win the title
maybe they are waiting to do that 16 times in the postseason

SpursFanFirst
03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Bonner has fallen so out of rotation, that a ladder is beating him off the bench???!!!

:lol :tu

:depressed

weebo
03-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the recap Timvp!
Its good to see JV get his back up point job back.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Pop has instituted the championship rotation. Playoffs must be around the corner! :tu

I like the fact that no starter played more than 32 minutes and they've got today off before a quick trip to Dallas.

bigfundamental21
03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks, timvp for sharing your thoughts, as always.

Last night's game was a step in the right direction, and as many have said so far, Sunday's game is a huge test and is a must win for us. Playing the full 48 is a must and having all of our big three on track will be crucial, but we will have to have a couple of other players step up and score. I am hoping that Finley will continue to improve and have a big game on Sunday and I think that Thomas and Udoka will play key roles.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Scott Tenorman made sure that the Kings continued to experience unfathomable sadness.
:lmao I finally got this.

T Park
03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks, timvp for sharing your thoughts, as always.

Last night's game was a step in the right direction, and as many have said so far, Sunday's game is a huge test and is a must win for us. Playing the full 48 is a must and having all of our big three on track will be crucial, but we will have to have a couple of other players step up and score. I am hoping that Finley will continue to improve and have a big game on Sunday and I think that Thomas and Udoka will play key roles.

I have a Finley has a very solid game but the game is finished up with Duncan Udoka Bowen Ginobili and Parker.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2008, 08:22 PM
It's amazing what settling on a rotation can do for the confidence of the players, and the turnaround that we've seen in the last two games is a good example. I called for this exact rotation (except Bonnner for Rob, because the team was so lacking in energy) over a week ago, and I'd love to be able to go back 9 games with this rotation set and see how the tough run would've turned out. I reckon, instead of going 1-6, we might have gone 3-4 or 4-3. Anyway, we'll never know.

I wonder what Pop is going to do with Barry? Personally, I'd like to see him starting for Finley because he adds more energy, better passing, decision-making and shooting, and even his occasionally brilliant transition D would be an upgrade over Finley's non-existence on that end. I have a feeling Pop will use him for spot minutes off the bench, but I think that's a mistake. Barry's energy, pinpoint passing and shooting could give the team the sort of kick it needs right now.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I wonder what Pop is going to do with Barry? Personally, I'd like to see him starting for Finley because he adds more energy, better passing, decision-making and shooting, and even his occasionally brilliant transition D would be an upgrade over Finley's non-existence on that end. I have a feeling Pop will use him for spot minutes off the bench, but I think that's a mistake. Barry's energy, pinpoint passing and shooting could give the team the sort of kick it needs right now.

Yeah Finley shooting better the last two games, bench him for that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah Finley shooting better the last two games, bench him for that.

No, you bench him after laying an egg in seven straight games against good teams, and because there is someone coming back who brings more to the table than he is right now.

Read what I wrote again. Barry brings more than just shooting - his passing and movement creates for other players - and he is at least the shooter Fin is. He is also a great transition defender and not afraid to drive the ball.

This is not about hating on Finley, it's about what I think would help the team more, and on that, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Really, you shouldn't take it so personally when someone suggests something about your favourite players that you don't agree with. It's not always about hating.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Don't take it all personally.

But think about it for a second.

Finley has two good games in a row, plays well, shoots well, and then you bench him for a guy thats been out since late january?

You don't think you lose Finley on that?

loveforthegame
03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Barry provides a nice spark off the bench and I think Pop likes that. If Finley is sucking then you can bring Ginobli in for him and still have Barry to provide a spark as well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Don't take it all personally.

But think about it for a second.

Finley has two good games in a row, plays well, shoots well, and then you bench him for a guy thats been out since late january?

You don't think you lose Finley on that?

Barry won't go straight back to starting - no way Pop would do that. But if he plays some minutes off the bench for a game or two, looks sharp, etc., I give the spot to him.

Finley's shooting in the last month has been poor, but even when it's good he's not offering you anything else. Barry moves and passes, and those are two things the team has badly needed during this down stretch.

Coaching is about decisions - you'd go one way, I'd go the other.

Findog
03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
The bottomline is the Spurs got the much needed win. Now the focus shifts to the Mavs game on Sunday. The Spurs need to win that game to not only help their own confidence but to help shatter Dallas’ confidence. The Mavs are 0-7 against teams with winning records since the Jason Kidd trade. If the Spurs can make that 0-8, the Mavs and Mav Fan will sink even further into depression.

That shouldn't be too hard since the Mavs are currently circling the drain.

O.J. Mayonnaise
03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
So Pop shouldn't bench Finley because he had a whopping 2 good games in a row after sucking pretty much the entire season, but he should bench Ginobili after playing like the best player in the NBA while in the starting lineup? By the way, since when is 9 points 2 rebounds in 30 minutes on 4-9 shooting "good?" Are standards really that low?

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-22-2008, 10:37 PM
So Pop shouldn't bench Finley because he had a whopping 2 good games in a row after sucking pretty much the entire season, but he should bench Ginobili after playing like the best player in the NBA while in the starting lineup? By the way, since when is 9 points 2 rebounds in 30 minutes on 4-9 shooting "good?" Are standards really that low?
History is also on his side. The last couple of years he's been the player who has shown the most improvement down the stretch when Pop finally locks in the playoff rotation.