PDA

View Full Version : 26 and 5.5

smeagol
03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
That is the game difference between 1st and 8th seeds in the Eastern and Western Conferences, respectively.

Something is really screwed up in the way the playoffs seeding is set.

Spurs (6th) are 2 games away from being first, and 3.5 games away from being lottery bound.

Stern, wake the fuck up!

smeagol
03-22-2008, 08:56 AM
One more thing:

March is almost over and New York (19-49) is still in the playoff race :lmao

Bruno
03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Spurs (6th) are 2 games away from being first, and 3.5 games away from being lottery bound.

Spurs are 5 games away of the lottery.

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Don't they teach you how to count in Argentina? Or does Brazil not let you guys?

-IT chuckle-

T Park
03-22-2008, 09:28 AM
That is the game difference between 1st and 8th seeds in the Eastern and Western Conferences, respectively.

Something is really screwed up in the way the playoffs seeding is set.

Stern, wake the fuck up!

What do you want him to do?

Merge the east and west?

mystargtr34
03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Take the top 16 teams regardless of conference and convert to a 2-3-2 Finals format for each series.

So unfair a franchise like Denver or GS for example... and maybe even Dallas...might have to sit at home and watch and lose revenue while the likes of Atlanta/Jersey and maybe even Indiana and Chicago will end up getting a shot in the playoffs.

T Park
03-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Take the top 16 teams regardless of conference and convert to a 2-3-2 Finals format for each series.

So unfair a franchise like Denver or GS for example... and maybe even Dallas...might have to sit at home and watch and lose revenue while the likes of Atlanta/Jersey and maybe even Indiana and Chicago will end up getting a shot in the playoffs.

So you want teams from east and west meeting at the same time, and flying every other day 4 hours to and from?

smeagol
03-22-2008, 09:45 AM
because of one season let's change the whole playoff format

brilliant

Have you been watching basketball for the last couple of year, you twit.

It has been going on for a while. The situation has simply gotten ridiculous this year.

smeagol
03-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Don't they teach you how to count in Argentina? Or does Brazil not let you guys?

-IT chuckle-

:rolleyes

Familiar with the "figure of speach" concept . . . ?

smeagol
03-22-2008, 09:47 AM
What do you want him to do?

Merge the east and west?

Try and put some thought into it. There are many things you can do about it.

smeagol
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
So you want teams from east and west meeting at the same time, and flying every other day 4 hours to and from?

If you are playing two games in a row at home, I don't see why you'd be travelling "4 hours every other day" . . .

djohn14
03-22-2008, 09:53 AM
If you merge the east and the west, then there is really no point of having an east and a west. I think it's fine the way it is, but if its changed, here is what I think should happen. Its crazy so you have to listen. Before every season we hold a "confrence lottery". Its just like the draft lottery, but it determines what teams will be in what confrence.

jag
03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Have you been watching basketball for the last couple of year, you twit.

It has been going on for a while. The situation has simply gotten ridiculous this year.

...so change the playoff format because of TWO years?

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 10:12 AM
:rolleyes

Familiar with the "figure of speach" concept . . . ?
No, but I am with "Figure of Speech."

:tongue

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I am not against a playoff pool, but I fucking HATE the 2-3-2 format. I wish they would do away with it for the Finals.

Another thought that peeps had at my workplace is to keep the playoffs like they are but rank the draft strictly by record. You could be a bottomfeeder EC playoff team and still have a lottery pick. The current system penalizes the lower EC playoff teams by not allowing them to get better. Meanwhile, probable 50 win Denver gets into the lottery.

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I am not against a playoff pool, but I fucking HATE the 2-3-2 format. I wish they would do away with it for the Finals.
I like it. That way there is no true home court advantage. Well for the most part. It's all even and square.

smeagol
03-22-2008, 11:56 AM
...so change the playoff format because of TWO years?

Has it been only two?

smeagol
03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
No, but I am with "Figure of Speech."

:tongue

Or that . . . :spin

honestfool84
03-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Limbo: "Can't we all just get along?"

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7338/paulgiamattiplanetofthenb6.jpg

td4mvp21
03-22-2008, 01:23 PM
There should be no change. The West will not always be significantly stronger than the East. You can't change the entire format just because one conference is having a great year.

vander
03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
the west won't be as dominant next year, look how old some of the west's teams are:

Dallas: Kidd will become an anchor next year
Phoenix: shaq is already too old and Nash is in decline
Denver: AI can't keep this up much longer, camby either.
Spurs: face it, we are old.

while the east has some young teams that are only getting better, the balance of power will shift, and even if it doesn't, I like that the west is so dominant, and that the southwest is maybe the best division that the NBA has ever seen, except for those damn tanking grizzlies

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
the west won't be as dominant next year, look how old some of the west's teams are:

Dallas: Kidd will become an anchor next year
Phoenix: shaq is already too old and Nash is in decline
Denver: AI can't keep this up much longer, camby either.
Spurs: face it, we are old.

while the east has some young teams that are only getting better, the balance of power will shift, and even if it doesn't, I like that the west is so dominant, and that the southwest is maybe the best division that the NBA has ever seen, except for those damn tanking grizzlies
...and Denver will miss the playoffs winning 50 games, and get a lottery pick, and Portland gets a lottery pick AND Oden next year. It hasn't been just one year, and it won't be over any time soon.

Whisky Dog
03-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Throughout most of the 90's the East was dominant with the best team and the West was not quite as competitive. It goes in cycles, but the format as it is now is the best available. No need to change anything.

Galileo
03-22-2008, 02:28 PM
NBA playoffs teams should be selected like this:

6 division winners

3 wild cards per conference, teams with three best records in each conference that are not division winners

4 bonus wild cards, the four teams with the best records not already in playoffs.

This is so simple and such a no-brainer, that I'm surprised David Stern has not already thought of it.

Based on today's standings here how it would work:

division champs:

WEST

LAL - 1 seed
NO - 2 seed
Utah - 3 seed

EAST

Bost - 1 seed
Det - 2 seed
Orl - 3 seed

Wild Cards

Hou - 4 seed
Phoe - 5 seed
SA - 6 seed

Clev - 4 seed
Wash - 5 seed
Tor - 6 seed

Bonus Wild Cards

Dall goes to West - 7 seed
GS goes to West - 8 seed
Den goes to East - 7 seed
Port goes to east - 8 seed

vander
03-22-2008, 02:37 PM
...and Denver will miss the playoffs winning 50 games, and get a lottery pick, and Portland gets a lottery pick AND Oden next year. It hasn't been just one year, and it won't be over any time soon.

I still think it's great, Oden could make a Portland a contender next year, but I don't think he'll ever make it through an entire season, and some teams will drop out of contention to make room for portland anyways:
Phoenix will be lucky to get 45 wins next year,
Denver can't make the playoffs this year, and they will only be worse next year, I see them sub .500
Dallas will only have 2 relevant players under 30 next year, Bass and Howard, and they will probably be the 3rd and 2nd best players on that team respectively. kidd, stack, even terry won't be nearly the players they are/were.

so the west will be back to 7 or 8 contenders after this crazy year, and that's assuming the Spurs can retool with a nice young shooting combo guard like Gibson to back up TP and Manu

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2008, 02:54 PM
The Spurs used to be an eastern conference team. I think the league could/should consider reconfiguring the Eastern and Western conferences. Teams like Denver, New Orleans and even the Texas triangle could travel east as easily as they travel to the west coast. I suppose the harder part would be determining which eastern teams would have to go west.

If you just seed according to record you may as well not have conferences or divisions at all. Just have a giant combined league and go from there.

T Park
03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
The Spurs used to be an eastern conference team. I think the league could/should consider reconfiguring the Eastern and Western conferences. Teams like Denver, New Orleans and even the Texas triangle could travel east as easily as they travel to the west coast. I suppose the harder part would be determining which eastern teams would have to go west.

If you just seed according to record you may as well not have conferences or divisions at all. Just have a giant combined league and go from there.

I personally think New Orleans and Memphis should be moved to the eastern conference.

vander
03-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I personally think New Orleans and Memphis should be moved to the eastern conference.

then what? just have the Eastern conference be bigger than the west?

InK
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
If you merge the east and the west, then there is really no point of having an east and a west.

Rofl, exellent point

smeagol
03-22-2008, 07:57 PM
the format as it is now is the best available. No need to change anything.

Says who?

In this thread alone I read one or two plausible options to what's currently the status quo.

I'm sure other great basketball minds can come up with something that can solve what has been going on in this decade.

Let's face it, the West has been either better or much better than the East since 1999. Detroit and Miami have been the exception (and look where Miami is now). Even the 2002 Nets would've been a 5 - 8 seed in the West.

mystargtr34
03-22-2008, 08:07 PM

How so... in the NBA Finals teams dont travel back and forth every other day... we would have a 2-3-2 format.

vander
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Says who?

In this thread alone I read one or two plausible options to what's currently the status quo.

I'm sure other great basketball minds can come up with something that can solve what has been going on in this decade.

Let's face it, the West has been either better or much better than the East since 1999. Detroit and Miami have been the exception (and look where Miami is now). Even the 2002 Nets would've been a 5 - 8 seed in the West.

nothing needs to be solved, this is just reactionary, short-sited, whining. are you a denver fan or something? you think that they are getting robbed, that despite only managing the 9th best record in the west, they have a legitimate shot at the title? :lol

Who cares if some crappy teams from the east get into the playoffs, or if some better then crappy teams in the west don't, they are all irrelevant anyways, none of them will win 16 post-season games.

If the NBA has a problem, it's that too many teams make the playoffs, and the playoffs go on and on, they should switch to the NFL system:

12 teams make it, 4 teams get a buy, the first round is best of 5. and divisions need to mean something again, just like teams play own their conference more often, they should play their own division more often as well, 6 games per year against divisional opponents. there there's a proposal worth raising a fuss about.

smeagol
03-22-2008, 08:45 PM
nothing needs to be solved, this is just reactionary, short-sited, whining.

Shortsited? The system sucks. Deal with it.

are you a denver fan or something?

I am. Thanks for helping me come out of the closet :rolleyes

you think that they are getting robbed, that despite only managing the 9th best record in the west, they have a legitimate shot at the title? :lol

Actually, given that you are focusing on Denver (9th), they have a better record than the 4th seed in the East, and Portland (10th) has a better record than the East's 5th seed.

Atlanta is making the playoffs, for chrissakes! They are playing 42% ball! They have a worst record than fucking Sac-Town :lol

And you are telling me ther is nothing wrong with that? You are fucking delusional.

Who cares if some crappy teams from the east get into the playoffs, or if some better then crappy teams in the west don't, they are all irrelevant anyways, none of them will win 16 post-season games.

Relevance?

If the NBA has a problem, it's that too many teams make the playoffs, and the playoffs go on and on, they should switch to the NFL system:

12 teams make it, 4 teams get a buy, the first round is best of 5. and divisions need to mean something again, just like teams play own their conference more often, they should play their own division more often as well, 6 games per year against divisional opponents. there there's a proposal worth raising a fuss about.

So you are also claiming for change . . .

vander
03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Shortsited? The system sucks. Deal with it.

its a little unbalanced this year, that is a far cry from sucks, the system is supposed to allow the best team to win, and it does.

Actually, given that you are focusing on Denver (9th), they have a better record than the 4th seed in the East, and Portland (10th) has a better record than the East's 5th seed.

Atlanta is making the playoffs, for chrissakes! They are playing 42% ball! They have a worst record than fucking Sac-Town :lol

And you are telling me ther is nothing wrong with that? You are fucking delusional.
nothing wrong with that, a few crappy teams make the playoffs, so what? they'll get quickly dispatched, the playoffs isn't there to reward the 16 best teams, it's there to weed out all but one

So you are also claiming for change . . .

since it is an entertainment business, shorter, more meaningful playoffs would be a change for the better, as would more divisional games, get some real rivalries going.

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Denver can't make the playoffs this year, and they will only be worse next year, I see them sub .500
How is Denver, a team with the players they have and probably 50 wins this year, going to drop below .500 with the addition of a lottery pick? That makes no fucking sense at all. It's like some of you people pull these arguments out of your ass to support a weak position. And how can you possibly know that Oden won't make it through a season? If you have that kind of crystal ball, you need to get your ass to Vegas, not waste it on message board prophecy.

The West will probably be dominant for another two or three years, meaning at least two sub .500 EC playoff teams, and maybe three like this year.

Whisky Dog
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Says who?

Says me. As in my opinion. As in I typed it.

That's what we're doing here, right? Throwing opinions around?

I'm with the lot who think you don't blow up a system that has been in place and worked well for a few decades because of a couple of statistical outliers.

vander
03-22-2008, 09:57 PM
How is Denver, a team with the players they have and probably 50 wins this year, going to drop below .500 with the addition of a lottery pick? That makes no fucking sense at all. It's like some of you people pull these arguments out of your ass to support a weak position. And how can you possibly know that Oden won't make it through a season? If you have that kind of crystal ball, you need to get your ass to Vegas, not waste it on message board prophecy.

The West will probably be dominant for another two or three years, meaning at least two sub .500 EC playoff teams, and maybe three like this year.

oh wow, a lottery pick? really? so the 13th best player in college right now is going to save that team?

I'm sorry none of that makes any f***ing sense to you, that really is sad

ChuckD
03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
oh wow, a lottery pick? really? so the 13th best player in college right now is going to save that team?

I'm sorry none of that makes any f***ing sense to you, that really is sad
You know how the lottery works, right? They could vault into the top 3. It's not strictly by record. Sorry if that doesn't make any fucking sense to you.

Even if they don't, that 14th pick, the lowest in the lottery, will likely be better than the 15, 16, and 17 picks of the three EC playoff laggards.

vander
03-23-2008, 12:30 AM
You know how the lottery works, right? They could vault into the top 3. It's not strictly by record. Sorry if that doesn't make any fucking sense to you.

Even if they don't, that 14th pick, the lowest in the lottery, will likely be better than the 15, 16, and 17 picks of the three EC playoff laggards.

:lol I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but you are doubting me so vehemently that I might have to put your post in my sig nest year when time proves me right :lol