View Full Version : I love our chances even with the injuries. kOBE

LakeShow
03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080322-23

Kobe Q&A: No. 24 Questions
Stein

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

It's a weekly tradition here at the Weekend Dime: We go one-on-one to five (questions) with a name you know well.

Since we were able to sneak a few minutes with Kobe Bryant this week, we figured you wouldn't mind if we moved this one-on-one slightly higher up the page.

Especially since Kobe had a pretty good week in the Boston Celtics' considerable shadow, leading the Los Angeles Lakers to road wins at the Dallas Mavericks and Utah Jazz -- halting the Jazz's 19-game home winning streak -- without the injured Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

Q: I know you always say you really don't give the MVP race any thought, but surely it's crossed your mind this season. Wouldn't it mean more to win one than you're letting on?

A: It'd be extremely special to win one. That puts you in really great company. It would mean a lot to win it, but that's not my primary goal. My primary goal is to win a championship. I firmly believe that a rising tide raises all boats. So us winning -- individual success will come. MVP is not my primary focus.

Q: But does it bug you to be known as the best player who's never won an MVP trophy?

A: Gotta take the good with the bad. In other words, when Michael [Jordan] and some of the other players, when they came into the league, they came into a situation where they carried the load and were the leader on that ballclub, but they didn't win. And then once he had another great player [beside him], [Scottie] Pippen had developed ... then they started winning.

Myself ... I came into the league already on a team that was winning 60 games. So I won early. I developed into a great individual player, but I was already playing with somebody that was dominant. So I never really got those accolades that an individual player would get.

It never bothered me. I kind of looked at it like a special forces job: [someone who] goes in quietly, does what he has to do to help the team be successful, and has players around the league and coaches around the league understand and respect what I do a nightly basis. That's what kind of kept me motivated.

Q: Safe to say you now are OK with the fact that the Bynum-for-Jason Kidd trade last season didn't work out?

A: Yeah (laughing). I'm more happy for [Kidd] that he got out of that situation [with the New Jersey Nets]. I think it's kind of invigorated him with the passion and the kind of joy that you know Jason Kidd likes to play with.

Q: So what was it like together last summer on Team USA? Were you guys constantly talking about how unhappy you were on your regular teams?

A: I was getting ribbed a lot by a lot of my [Team USA] teammates because of the plays Jason was making and how he could have been on my team and how it didn't go down, that sort of thing. I had to take a lot of jabs this summer. But the [Gasol] trade ... it's been an answer to a prayer, man.

Q: Admit it: Are there times you look over and see Pau in the same locker room and still don't believe it?

A: We're extremely fortunate, man. But they pulled it off. Mitch [Kupchak] made a great move, and the young players that he drafted have really developed faster than I think anybody expected. So that's why we're in this position.

I love our chances. I love our chances even with the injuries. And if we do get [Bynum] back in the mix, I really like our chances.

Paging Dr. Bryant
Here are three bonus prognoses from Kobe Bryant on the Lakers' big injury question marks:

On whether Andrew Bynum will play again this season:

"I'm pretty optimistic. In a perfect-case scenario, he'd get five games under his belt or something like that before the playoffs. But if it doesn't happen, we'll roll with it. In this system, it's easy for him to jump back in, go stand down there and not miss a beat. Especially at that center position, be our defensive anchor, change shots. It's not that difficult."

On fears that Pau Gasol's left ankle also will wind up being a long-term injury:

"Nah. He'll shake it. He's a very quick healer. He's already walking on it. He'll be back soon."

On the torn ligament in Bryant's pinkie on his shooting hand:

"I'll always have issues with it until I get the surgery. I still have to do that. But Phil [Jackson] was pretty much going to give me training camp off anyway to let my body recuperate after the playoffs and the Olympics. ... This team has been together for so long, I don't think that'll be a problem."

mojorizen7
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Kobe? Confident?
Thats news.

LakeShow
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Kobe? Confident?
Thats news.

Phil too!

"I think we're the front-runner," Phil Jackson said smoothly and plainly before the game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers22mar22,0,1260178,full.story

Quote: "We are convinced we have great shooters," Jackson said. "You aren't going to shoot great every night, but we believe in our shooting ability."

Dex
03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Team believes in self.

Stop the presses.

Too bad they haven't won anything in 6 years.

JMarkJohns
03-22-2008, 01:14 PM
If Bynum can't return to form and Gasol is hobbled down the stretch, they could lose the division, thus homecourt and without it they could be in trouble if Bynum and Gasol can't make an impact vs. teams second round and on.

They are one of like five legitimate frontrunners for the West. Of all the playoff team, if healthy, I'd probably rank them #1, but remember that Gasol and Bynum have yet to play alongside each other. Gasol fit right in immediately, but trying to reincorperate Bynum alongside Gasol may take a few games.

Gino
03-22-2008, 01:50 PM
If Bynum can't return to form and Gasol is hobbled down the stretch, they could lose the division, thus homecourt and without it they could be in trouble if Bynum and Gasol can't make an impact vs. teams second round and on.

They are one of like five legitimate frontrunners for the West. Of all the playoff team, if healthy, I'd probably rank them #1, but remember that Gasol and Bynum have yet to play alongside each other. Gasol fit right in immediately, but trying to reincorperate Bynum alongside Gasol may take a few games.

I don't think the Lakers could get by the Spurs, Phoenix or New Orleans, so I put them as 4th.

LakeShow
03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Team believes in self.

Stop the presses.

Too bad they haven't won anything in 6 years.

Bad news for the NBA! It's been 5 years since the lakers won a title, the 6th year is tbd. It's funny that you say the lakers haven't done anything in 5 years. That's hilarious. 5 year drought should be considered a long drought when others have gone decades without winning a title. Hell Boston hasn't won a title in 23 years and they have the most titles in the history of the game. Says alot about the most successful NBA Franchise in history!
:lol

I see the Spurs are going back to trying to WHINE their way to another title. That shits not working this season. Man up!

LakeShow
03-22-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think the Lakers could get by the Spurs, Phoenix or New Orleans, so I put them as 4th.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. If healthy, it is not a team in the league that will be able to match up with the lakers. With Lamar having a career season, Kobe, Gasol, Fish and Bynum, and possibly the deepest bench ever, no way in hell any of those teams beat the lakers. Some have even picked the lakers to win without Bynum. I'm not one of them but I think that they could still possibly win without him. With him, it's no contest! Like Kobe stated, the center position is the easiest position to adapt to. Just guard the middle and go with the flow on offense. It will be an easy transition and it's not like they have never played together before. Gasol plays the high post now so I don't see a problem with them playing together. I know Gasol would gladly defer to Bynum in the post on Defense. The Lakers are definitely the front runners and favorites to win the west.

Gino
03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't think you know what you're talking about. If healthy, it is not a team in the league that will be able to match up with the lakers. With Lamar having a career season, Kobe, Gasol, Fish and Bynum, and possibly the deepest bench ever, no way in hell any of those teams beat the lakers. Some have even picked the lakers to win without Bynum. I'm not one of them but I think that they could still possibly win without him. With him, it's no contest! Like Kobe stated, the center position is the easiest position to adapt to. Just guard the middle and go with the flow on offense. It will be an easy transition and it's not like they have never played together before. Gasol plays the high post now so I don't see a problem with them playing together. I know Gasol would gladly defer to Bynum in the post on Defense. The Lakers are definitely the front runners and favorites to win the west.

:lol

Wishful thinking.

Lakers have the deepest bench EVER? They bench is probably the deepest now, but not as good as many other teams in the league. In the playoffs, rotations shrink because you'll win more game playing your best guys more rather than trying to spread it out like you do during the course of the regular season. When that happens, its best to have eight really good guys rather than 5 good guys and 5 average players.

Who's on their bench? Farmar, Turiaf, Vujacic, Walton,Radmonavic and Ariza.

Who's their signature substitution? Where's their Ginobili? Stackhouse? Barbosa? Diaw? They don't even have a single proven playoff performer like Sam Cassell, Kurt Thomas, Brent Barry, Robert Horry James Posey or PJ Brown.

And lets not forget how soft Gasol is. He hasn't won a playoff game in 12 attempts. Bynum is only twenty years old and doesn't have great basketball IQ. You have no idea how he's going to respond to have so many of his shots taken away because of Gasol.

Of course, if Gasol defers, then what good is Gasol? He's a terrible defender and rebounder. Maybe the worst rebounding big man in the league? And no matter who takes these shots, Lamar Odom will dissapear as he always does.

LA24
03-22-2008, 04:49 PM

That's funny you should say that. I honestly don't think the Celtics will get by Detroit either. KG will disappear in the 4th when it gets close...good luck with that.

Allanon
03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
The Lakers are without a doubt the most talented team in the League. Most of this credit goes to the Memphis Grizzlies.

By packaging Pau to the Lakers, they instantly made the Lakers the best team in the league (talent-wise)...it's not even close. I mean how many 20-10 guys are given to an already good team for a bag of chips?

It's like saying OK Celtics, I'll trade you Carmelo Anthony in return for Brian Scalabrine. I gotta tell you though, Carmelo sucks on defense, you better think this trade over carefully :lol

Pau's not a Superstar but he is definitely a star in this league. He plays better in the Playoffs but like Kobe, he's had no help all these years. Now as the 2nd option, he's going to bring 20 points, 10 rebounds every Playoff night.

Why are the Lakers so good it's crazy? There isn't a single bust among them...every player can play.

Starters
1) Kobe Bryant
2) Pau Gasol - #2 Scorer that scores among the league leaders
3) Lamar Odom - Excellent Playoff player, among league leaders in Rebounds and 15 points ain't shabby. One of the most versatile players in the NBA.
4) Radmonovic - Returning to his Seattle form, a deadly 3 point shooter
5) Fisher - Veteran bulldog type point guard who's in his best shooting of his career

Bench:
1) Andrew Bynum, #1 bench big man in the league
2) Jordan Farmar, would be a starter on many NBA teams, can shoot from anywhere
3) The Machine, can shoot the 3 pointer in his sleep if you give him a foot of space
4) Ronny Turiaf, energy player with skills
5) Trevor Ariza, excellent perimeter defender and slasher
6) Ira Newble, can defend tweener wing players (T-Mac, Prince, Grant Hill, etc)
7) Chris Mihm, don't know how he is now but he was a serviceable Center with decent offense
8) DJ mBenga, another serviceable center who can shoot the J ala Kurt Thomas
9) Coby Karl, uhmm, excellent ball handling and it's cool cuz he can substitute for Kobe in blowout games...Kobe for Coby :)

There isn't a single team in the league with this much talent through the entire roster. Lakers had 8 players in double figures last night. With Pau and Bynum back, that could translate into 10 players in double figures.

The Lakers have every right to be confident. They have excellent offense and good defense.

The Lakers are like the New England Patriots of the NBA, they're so talented they should be the favorites to win it all. But like the Patriots, they could lose it all as well.

1Parker1
03-22-2008, 05:10 PM
My primary goal is to win a championship. I firmly believe that a rising tide raises all boats. So us winning -- individual success will come

Kobe is deceptively intelligent.

Gino
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
The Lakers are without a doubt the most talented team in the League. Most of this credit goes to the Memphis Grizzlies.

By packaging Pau to the Lakers, they instantly made the Lakers the best team in the league (talent-wise)...it's not even close. I mean how many 20-10 guys are given to an already good team for a bag of chips?

It's like saying OK Celtics, I'll trade you Carmelo Anthony in return for Brian Scalabrine. I gotta tell you though, Carmelo sucks on defense, you better think this trade over carefully :lol

Pau's not a Superstar but he is definitely a star in this league. He plays better in the Playoffs but like Kobe, he's had no help all these years. Now as the 2nd option, he's going to bring 20 points, 10 rebounds every Playoff night.

Why are the Lakers so good it's crazy? There isn't a single bust among them...every player can play.

Starters
1) Kobe Bryant
2) Pau Gasol - #2 Scorer that scores among the league leaders
3) Lamar Odom - Excellent Playoff player, among league leaders in Rebounds and 15 points ain't shabby. One of the most versatile players in the NBA.
4) Radmonovic - Returning to his Seattle form, a deadly 3 point shooter
5) Fisher - Veteran bulldog type point guard who's in his best shooting of his career

Bench:
1) Andrew Bynum, #1 bench big man in the league
3) The Machine, can shoot the 3 pointer in his sleep if you give him a foot of space
7) Chris Mihm, don't know how he is now but he was a serviceable Center with decent offense
9) Coby Karl, uhmm, excellent ball handling and it's cool cuz he can substitute for Kobe in blowout games...Kobe for Coby :)

There isn't a single team in the league with this much talent through the entire roster. Lakers had 8 players in double figures last night. With Pau and Bynum back, that could translate into 10 players in double figures.

The Lakers have every right to be confident. They have excellent offense and good defense.

The Lakers are like the New England Patriots of the NBA, they're so talented they should be the favorites to win it all. But like the Patriots, they could lose it all as well.

What a bunch of garbage.

If youre gonna claim that Bynum is going to come of the bench, then your starting line up just got drastically worse with Radmonavic. Gasol and Radmonavic at the 3 and 5? How soft can you possibly be? The Spurs and Suns will destroy you in the paint. And your glossing of your bench is a joke.

Who would Jordan Farmar start for? His assist/turnover ratio is 2. His jump shot is average at best and he's a poor free throw shooter. Which NBA teams would rather have Farmar than their current point guard?

The "machine" as you call him can't defend anyone to save his life. Plus he's young and inexperienced. If his jump shot goes then he doesn't provide you with anything.

You left out Luke Walton from your bench which is understandable since everyone knows how much he sucks.

Trevor Ariza can't do anything. I doubt he would even play.

Turiaf is a good energy player but fouls like crazy and makes a lot of defensive mistakes. He's good for 5-10 minutes. Him and "the machine" are probably the only two guys I would like on the Celtics bench.

Ira Newbie? Who?

The rest of your guys are such a joke they're not even worth mentioning.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I respect the Lakers this season, but even with Ariza and Bynum back, I can't see them becoming disciplined enough defensively to come out of the west.

Allanon
03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Radmonovic seems to have turned the corner ever since the Pau Gasol trade...he's actually playing defense. He and Lamar Odom have started becoming lethal.

Whenever you have Lamar Odom, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher, you have a pretty good defensive team, you can ask the Utah Jazz about that. They score well but can also defend pretty well. Not as good as the Celtics or Spurs but good enough. Bynum coming off the bench is horror for any other team.

Who would Jordan Farmar start for? How about your Rajon? He has virtually identical stats in fewer minutes per game.

The "machine" as you call him can't defend anyone to save his life. Plus he's young and inexperienced. If his jump shot goes then he doesn't provide you with anything.
You haven't seen the Machine defend this year, he's the new and improved Machine this year. He hugs so tightly down on guys on defense that he puts his nuts into them and they try to punch him. He used to foul like crazy but he has learned how to defend without fouling. He's become quite a good defender on shooting guards. That's why you see him late in games, he has become a consistent defender, not for his shooting which is a bonus.

Luke Walton is a serviceable guy, doesn't help or hurt. He's one of the suckier bench guys but even he got quite a few starts this year. And just last night, he had 17 points and a bunch of assists...not too shabby for a bench player.

The Celtics Bench and the Pistons Bench are both excellent, don't get me wrong. I just think the Lakers have a better bench.

You obviously don't know who Trevor Ariza is, let me introduce you to him or you could ask all these guys what his dick tastes like.
1v6OIFNme6wDLTJ5AptyPs

Gino
03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Radmonovic seems to have turned the corner ever since the Pau Gasol trade...he's actually playing defense. He and Lamar Odom have started becoming lethal.

Whenever you have Lamar Odom, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher, you have a pretty good defensive team, you can ask the Utah Jazz about that. They score well but can also defend pretty well. Not as good as the Celtics or Spurs but good enough. Bynum coming off the bench is horror for any other team.

Who would Jordan Farmar start for? How about your Rajon? He has virtually identical stats in fewer minutes per game.

You haven't seen the Machine defend this year, he's the new and improved Machine this year. He hugs so tightly down on guys on defense that he puts his nuts into them and they try to punch him. He used to foul like crazy but he has learned how to defend without fouling. He's become quite a good defender on shooting guards. That's why you see him late in games, he has become a consistent defender, not for his shooting which is a bonus.

Luke Walton is a serviceable guy, doesn't help or hurt. He's one of the suckier bench guys but even he got quite a few starts this year. And just last night, he had 17 points and a bunch of assists...not too shabby for a bench player.

The Celtics Bench and the Pistons Bench are both excellent, don't get me wrong. I just think the Lakers have a better bench.

You obviously don't know who Trevor Ariza is, let me introduce you to him or you could ask all these guys what his dick tastes like.
1v6OIFNme6wDLTJ5AptyPs

:rolleyes

Yay for Ariza's dunk.

Gerald Green is availabe if your interested.

I would add the Spurs and Suns benches to your list of superior benches as well. You just can't compete with bringing Ginobili off the bench, and Diaw and Barbosa are vastly superior to anyone on the Lakers bench.

Allanon
03-22-2008, 07:16 PM
:rolleyes

Yay for Ariza's dunk.

Gerald Green is availabe if your interested.

I would add the Spurs and Suns benches to your list of superior benches as well. You just can't compete with bringing Ginobili off the bench, and Diaw and Barbosa are vastly superior to anyone on the Lakers bench.

Gerald Green would be a good addition, but he's not a defensive stopper like Ariza.

Spurs bench is inferior to the Lakers aside from Manu. But to put Manu on the bench, the Spurs have a far inferior starting guy.

Manu, JV, Ime, Bonner, 2008 Finley, 2008 Horry?
I would take
Bynum, Farmar, Machine, Turiaf, Ariza, Luke Walton

Suns bench is ridiculously bad. They have a great starting 5 and Barbosa is good off the bench....but that's it. You can ask Suns fans what they think about the guy they named "Doris Diaw" :)

Gino
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Gerald Green would be a good addition, but he's not a defensive stopper like Ariza.

Spurs bench is inferior to the Lakers aside from Manu. But to put Manu on the bench, the Spurs have a far inferior starting guy.

Manu, JV, Ime, Bonner, 2008 Finley, 2008 Horry?
I would take
Bynum, Farmar, Machine, Turiaf, Ariza, Luke Walton

Suns bench is ridiculously bad. They have a great starting 5 and Barbosa is good off the bench....but that's it. You can ask Suns fans what they think about the guy they named "Doris Diaw" :)

The Suns bench is thin, but top heavy. Barbosa and "Doris" are unbelievably talented, and even Giriciec (spelling?) is playing great for them now (freaking sixers).

I guess it comes down to would you rather have a thin, but top heavy bench or a deep bench with 5 or 6 servicable players.

During the season, give me depth. During the playoffs, I want the talent. I don't think any of those guys on the Lakers bench are going to come off the bench and be the difference maker in the game. That can happen with Ginobili and Barbosa.

Allanon
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
The Suns bench is thin, but top heavy. Barbosa and "Doris" are unbelievably talented, and even Giricek (spelling?) is playing great for them now (freaking sixers).

I guess it comes down to would you rather have a thin, but top heavy bench or a deep bench with 5 or 6 servicable players.

During the season, give me depth. During the playoffs, I want the talent. I don't think any of those guys on the Lakers bench are going to come off the bench and be the difference maker in the game. That can happen with Ginobili and Barbosa.

Agreed. :toast

InK
03-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I would add the Spurs and Suns benches to your list of superior benches as well.

I wish.

LakeShow
03-23-2008, 10:23 AM
The Suns bench is thin, but top heavy. Barbosa and "Doris" are unbelievably talented, and even Giriciec (spelling?) is playing great for them now (freaking sixers).

I would rather have the top heavy bench. The lakers can use multiple players for their 7,8,9 positions. Phil can play them per situation and not lose anything on the court, Like others will when foul trouble, or defense is the issue. Nash can't stop the Pg, you bring in Barbosa? Amare gets into foul trouble, you bring in Boris? Those substitution wont keep the Suns playing at the same level where as the Lakers would get exactly what they need from their bench, when they need it.

LakeShow
03-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Lamar Odom will dissapear as he always does.

Lamar has been a warrior in the playoffs for whatever team he has played for. I'm going to take this statement as just something that you were not aware of. Lamar is a very good and dependable playoff performer.