PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Mavericks Preview

duncan228
03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/nba/deportes/preview?gameId=280323006

Spurs-Mavericks Preview
By BRETT HUSTON, STATS Writer STATS LLC

The pattern has been the same for the Dallas Mavericks since Jason Kidd's arrival last month -- dominate opponents with losing records and drop close games to teams likely to be in the playoffs.

They'll look to end that trend Sunday when they host the San Antonio Spurs, who certainly fit into the latter category.

Dallas (44-25) gambled that trading for Kidd, a nine-time All-Star, would be the boost it needed in the crowded Western Conference playoff race. However, Kidd's numbers (8.5 points, 9.6 assists) are down from his days in New Jersey, and more importantly, the Mavericks aren't beating the teams in front of them in the standings.

They're 9-0 against sub-.500 opponents since Kidd arrived, winning by an average of 18.4 points. However, they're 0-7 against teams currently in playoff position, with five of those losses coming by six points or fewer.

Each of Dallas' last two games ended in that fashion. A torrid comeback wasn't enough to get the Mavericks past the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday, as they fell 102-100. They led Boston on Thursday in the fourth quarter, but the Celtics rallied for a 94-90 win.

"We're just right there in a lot of these games," said Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse, who scored 17 points against Boston. "It's disappointing to keep coming up short."

The Spurs (46-23) have won back-to-back games, but can't be feeling much better about their recent play against contending teams than the Mavs are. Since their 11-game winning streak was snapped March 7, they're 1-5 against teams over .500.

San Antonio has bounced back from a four-game losing streak with two straight victories. The competition hasn't been stiff -- Chicago and Sacramento aren't in playoff position -- but Tim Duncan was just happy to get a pair of wins.

"It's great to get a back-to-back, get kind of a little bit of a winning streak going," Duncan said after beating the Bulls and Kings on consecutive nights. "The confidence I think is there."

Duncan, who averages 19.6 points, has been outstanding in two games against the Mavericks this season, averaging 27.5 points and 10.0 rebounds.

Manu Ginobili -- San Antonio's leading scorer at 20.0 points per game -- hasn't reached double figures in his last two, but is averaging 26.3 points in three games against the Mavericks this season.

The Spurs used to dominate road games against their Texas rival, winning 12 straight from the early- to mid-1990s, but they haven't fared as well at Dallas recently. They've lost four of six there in the regular season, the defeats coming by an average of 18.3 points, including a 105-92 loss Nov. 15.

Dirk Nowitzki averaged 28.5 points, 15.0 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in the losses to the Lakers and Celtics, but he's struggled with his shooting against the Spurs this season. Though he's averaging 20.0 points, Nowitzki has connected on just 37.5 percent from the field.

One player who has given the Mavericks a spark against San Antonio is Brandon Bass. The third-year forward averaged 17.0 points and 6.0 rebounds off the bench in his last two games against the Spurs.

When Kidd made his first appearance this season in a Mavericks uniform against San Antonio, he had seven points and 10 assists in a 97-94 loss on Feb. 28 -- nine days after the trade. He was kept on the bench by coach Avery Johnson with the score tight in the final 30 seconds, a move that Kidd later said he understood.

duncan228
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008032306&prov=ap

Team ComparisonTeam Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 46-23 3rd Southwest / 6th West 95.6 91.1 Road 18-17 Won 2 4-6
Dallas 44-25 4th Southwest / 7th West 100.2 95.5 Home 29-6 Lost 2 5-5

Notes

Spurs: Veteran F Robert Horry left the game with 3:45 left in the first quarter with a left knee contusion after taking a charge and did not return. He will undergo an MRI exam Saturday morning. ... The Spurs now lead the series with the Kings, 2-1. ... The Spurs received three technical fouls in the third quarter.

Mavs: For the second consecutive game, Dallas shot at a higher percentage than its opponent and still lost. The Mavericks were 33-of-84 from the field, while Boston made 30-of-87 shots. ... The Mavericks fell to 38-5 when they shoot for a higher field-goal percentage than their opponent. ... Dallas held a commanding 23-9 edge in fast-break points.

SAtown
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Both teams have been doing terribly against +.500 teams recently. I hope the Spurs aren't the first over 500 team to fall victim to the post-trade Mavs.

I'm surprised there's no game thread yet. :hungry:

DAF86
03-22-2008, 04:54 PM
feeling bad about this game

DDS4
03-22-2008, 05:21 PM

I'm the opposite. I'll be surprised if the Spurs don't have a good showing.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-22-2008, 05:23 PM

It would be a brutal setback to lose this sunday, and may even take the wind out of the Spurs sails.

Would probably have an even worse effect on the Mavs should they lose.

T Park
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I disagree, but whatever.

Radiosparks
03-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Win or lose there is lots of BB left to play.

loveforthegame
03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I fear it'll be a blowout. Dallas will come out pumped after the recent losses. The Mavs play the Spurs close anyway but not feeling good about this one.

DAF86
03-22-2008, 07:05 PM
It would be a brutal setback to lose this sunday, and may even take the wind out of the Spurs sails.

Would probably have an even worse effect on the Mavs should they lose.

i'm feeling bad about this game but the playoffs are a whole different story

Allanon
03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
As for losing, the Spurs can afford to lose this one but if the Mavs lose, they'd better put out a suicide watch out in Big D after the game...starting at Cuban's house.

With as many losses the Mavs have lately against good teams, I'm guessing they take take this one.

Should be a hell of a game.

Findog
03-22-2008, 11:57 PM
As for losing, the Spurs can afford to lose this one but if the Mavs lose, they'd better put out a suicide watch out in Big D after the game...starting at Cuban's house.

With as many losses the Mavs have lately against good teams, I'm guessing they take take this one.

Should be a hell of a game.

It's going to be a bitter pill to swallow to have the Spurs come into our house and officially end our season.

Findog
03-22-2008, 11:58 PM
I fear it'll be a blowout. Dallas will come out pumped after the recent losses. The Mavs play the Spurs close anyway but not feeling good about this one.

Sadly for our sake, I think you're wrong. Dallas is a bad early team, because there's a lot of night owls on this team. They're just not that good. Spurs save their season, Dallas ends theirs. Book it.

bigfundamental21
03-23-2008, 12:03 AM
This is a big game for both teams. It will be a battle as usual and it will come down to who can execute best down the stretch.

BELIEVE.

Findog
03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
This is a big game for both teams. It will be a battle as usual and it will come down to who can execute best down the stretch.

BELIEVE.

Spurs win, in other words.

T Park
03-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Reverse psychology.

Don't think I don't recognize it!!!

SHAQOWNSDUNCAN
03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
mavs 230

spurs 3

spurs get a 3 pt foul thanks to the refs LMAO

Findog
03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Reverse psychology.

No, the Mavs are done for this year. It's been a pretty disappointing and frustrating last 10 months as a Dallas fan.

Findog
03-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Who executes best down the stretch? Mavs are 0-7 against +.500 teams since the Kidd trade. There's your "who executes best down the stretch" question settled.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Reverse psychology.

I'm pretty sure he's serious.
Him and the other knowledged Mav fans have been at this since they lost to LA.

Findog
03-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe they beat the Spurs tomorrow, but it doesn't change the fact that the ceiling for this team is a first-round exit. It is what it is. The team came pretty close to winning it all, but they need to do more than just change the starting point guard.

mavsfan1000
03-23-2008, 01:24 AM
This team is done. Stackhouse and Kidd are just too slow for backcourt to have a chance at a title. Our frontcourt still has it but it won't be enough.

Supreme_Being
03-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Who's this Dallas team?

SAGambler
03-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I think this boils down to JHo vs Fin.

If JHo has a good game and Fin doesn't......Mavs win it.

If Fin gets his stroke back against his old team and JHo doesn't have a great game, Spurs win by a large margin.