View Full Version : Mike Monroe: Expecting Barry

duncan228
03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/03/mike_monroe_exp.html

Mike Monroe: Expecting Barry

Maybe it's because the Spurs are in Dallas, where Jerry Stackhouse got the Mavericks in hot water for blabbing that he would be back on Dallas' roster 30 days after being traded to New Jersey as part of a Jason Kidd deal that eventually didn't fly, but the always-cautious Spurs have had their guard up extremely high when it comes to shooting guard Brent Barry's now-imminent return.

Nobody in the Nixon administration stonewalled about Watergate with more fervor than the Spurs have in refusing to discuss Barry.

Give them this much: They are making certain nobody can accuse them of playing fast and loose with league rules regarding trades. Mavs owner Mark Cuban made it clear before the Feb. 28 Spurs-Mavs game at AT&T Center that he believed the Spurs had an understandng with Barry, and the Seattle SuperSonics that they would bring him back after trading him to Seattle as part of the Kurt Thomas deal. Any indication that the Spurs had circumvented the rule prohibiting a traded-then-released player from re-sgning with the team that traded him would have given any team, including Dallas, an excuse to complain to David Stern.

So don't hate the Spurs for being so tight-lipped. I don't, and I've got a boss on my butt to get a story up about Bones.

Barry will be back, and I supsect it will be announced Sunday, the first day he is eligible to sign a new contract. Then we'll find out what sort of shape his left calf, injured in late January, is in.

whottt
03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Nobody in the Nixon administration stonewalled about Watergate with more fervor than the Spurs have in refusing to discuss Barry.

It's true...if you look up the word "terse no comment" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Pop being asked about Barry. It's actually hilarious when you think about it. :lmao

And Barry hasn't been quiet for this long since he was in the womb.

picnroll
03-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Have they even played any Barry HEB commercials?

ancestron
03-22-2008, 08:21 PM
shhh!

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
All of the silence is very strange, given that there was no doubt that the Spurs pursued Barry after he was released and there is no doubt that Barry has already chosen to re-sign with the Spurs. Still, I can understand also that it's not a done deal until the contract is signed and that the Spurs (and Barry) don't want to give the league any reasons to think that there was some impropriety here.

Frankly, I expect that the "loophole" that permits this sort of re-acquisition is going to be closed in the near future -- I suspect players who are traded and released will be permitted to sign with any team for the remainder of the season but not with the team from which they are traded. It might be the Brent Barry rule (particularly if the Spurs win a title), though the Jerry Stackhouse rule would seem much more appropriate.

smeagol
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Stackhouse, Amare . . .

There are some dumb motherfuckers bouncing a ball these days . . .

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Will Barry be back with jersey # 17 or with 31, as he dreamed of when he first came?

spurschick
03-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Have they even played any Barry HEB commercials?

I don't recall seeing any since the trade. Although there is an H-E-B billboard, advertising their cosmetic department, with Erin Barry downtown.

T Park
03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Thats Erin!?!?

I would;ve thought Eva, who did a commercial for em, would be up there...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Come back Brent!

I've always loved this guy - he's just such a smart balla and maximum team guy - and I can't wait to get him back out there. He was a big reason that the ball was moving so beautifully in the 17-3 start.

Can't wait to see him in a Spurs uni again, and if he's got his touch after a couple of games on the bench, I want to see him start. Just so T Park doesn't have to reply to this post, he would like to see Finley continue as the starter. We agree to disagree. ;)

T Park
03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Barry can start if he comes back and shows he played as well as he did pre injury.

whottt
03-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I expect Barry will have to play his way into the rotation...Pop isn't just going to throw him out there.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I expect Barry will have to play his way into the rotation...Pop isn't just going to throw him out there.

exactly

most importantly, I'm waiting to see what shape he's in.

If he we can get 6-8 ppg from him, I'll be thrilled

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-23-2008, 02:38 AM

No, give him some of Fin's, JV's and Ime's minutes off the bench, give him 20mins a game, and see what he can do.

He was almost ready to come back when he was traded, so the extra month of rehab and rest has probably done wonders for the calf.

I don't expect a big dropoff from him at all - he'll have to get up to game pace, but otherwise I think the Brent Barry we all know (and some of us love) will be back by his 4th game in.