PDA

View Full Version : Official Dallas Mavericks Offseason Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Findog
03-23-2008, 01:35 AM
I'll be bumping this tomorrow after we lose to the Spurs, but I wanted to get a jump on discussing how the team can improve and what can be done this summer. Should we actually miss the playoffs, which is a strong possibility given the difficult games ahead and Golden State and Denver nipping at our heels, we'll keep the pick we sent to New Jersey.

Here is the list of free agents available this summer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

This is a good source for the latest rankings of players who might be available in the 12-16 range:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2008bigboard.asp

The Mavericks salary cap situation can be found here:

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/mavs/mavs-news/mavs-con.html

Dallas currently has about $81 million committed to 8 players, assuming Jason Kidd and Eddie Jones don't exercise their options to become free agents. The salary cap is expected to be somewhere around $58 million, so the Mavericks will once again be deep into luxury tax territory. The following are unrestricted free agents free to sign with any team:

Malik Allen, Devean George, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue, Jamaal Magloire, Antoine Wright.

Of this group, I would like to resign Allen, Lue and Wright. Despite Cuban's throwing a hissy fit over George's role in the Kidd trade saga, his Bird rights might be useful if we need to match salaries in a sign and trade to bring an impact player here in the offseason. Resigning the trio listed above leaves four slots to fill out the 15-man roster. It doesn't look as if we'll be able to add any impact players that could help the team other than with the MLE and LLE.

:pctoss

Some of the unrestricted players available in Dallas' price range that we might want to target include the following:

Eduardo Najera, Mickael Pietrus, DeSagana Diop, Chris Anderson, Maurice Evans and Bonzi Wells.

DaDakota
03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Findog....we need you guys to beat the Spurs.....otherwise Cuban might blow a corpusule.

Still not sure how you can root for a team that does stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp4CIFfbJZU&eurl=http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=145495

DD

monosylab1k
03-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I might get talked into giving this team an offseason to work together and bringing in a few more FA's that might fit better with Kidd.

But what I really want to happen to the Mavericks is this -

http://www.unclenicks.net/bilderberg/www.bilderberg.org/26th3d64.gif

Start back from scratch, and build a real contender this time. No player is off-limits, even Dirk. I want him to stay, but if some team with real championship hopes out there is willing to overpay grossly for him, then he can be traded.

monosylab1k
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I guess we have to wait for official word on Dirk's injury, but this is all I have to say.

Our 1st round pick this year is lottery protected.

http://www.gizmology.net/images/tank11.jpg

monosylab1k
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Here's some guys that could potentially be in the 11-14 pick range.

DJ Augustin
Chase Budinger (big 2-guard)
Kevin Love
Roy Hibbert
Ty Lawson

Not that any of these guys are putting us over the top, but there are some quality young guys in this draft who are gonna help out better than whatever MLE spare we get duped into thinking will be worth a shit.

StylisticS
03-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I would love for us to get DJ Augustine. We're going to need one in a couple years.

monosylab1k
03-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll admit I haven't seen much of this guy, but Chase Budinger is very very intriguing.

Good size, great athlete, great shooter, and a SLASHER above all. Not great on defense but probably because nobody asks him to play it.

Not saying he's a gamebreaker, but hell he can't possibly be any worse than Devean George.

JMarkJohns
03-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Here's some guys that could potentially be in the 11-14 pick range.

DJ Augustin
Chase Budinger (big 2-guard)
Kevin Love
Roy Hibbert
Ty Lawson

Not that any of these guys are putting us over the top, but there are some quality young guys in this draft who are gonna help out better than whatever MLE spare we get duped into thinking will be worth a shit.

I love Chase. I followed his every game the past two seasons. The kid is an AAU monster, but an above average all-around player in real ball. He is one of the laziest defenders I've ever seen. Maybe he tries and it just doesn't look like it? When his outside jumper isn't falling, the kid is practically useless because he seldom attacks the lane unless it's in transition, his pull-up mid-range jumper is suspect and streaky and, despite have tremendous athleticism (he's been said to have a 50-inch vertical), his rebounding and help defense are below average.

Maybe alongside Kidd he can make a rookie impact, but if Avery is still the coach, I can see him being glued to the bench for, lack of a better description, just not giving a crap about much besides shooting jumpers.

He's a more athletic Van Horn at this point. Not the college Van Horn, either. The stand around and wait New York/Milwaukee/Dallas-Van Horn.

Plus, I don't think he's entering. I think he'll test, but entering this season he was expected to be a top-5 pick. Now he's late-lottery. I think he'll stick and work himself back into the top-5 for 2009.

monosylab1k
03-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I love Chase. I followed his every game the past two seasons. The kid is an AAU monster, but an above average all-around player in real ball. He is one of the laziest defenders I've ever seen. Maybe he tries and it just doesn't look like it? When his outside jumper isn't falling, the kid is practically useless because he seldom attacks the lane unless it's in transition, his pull-up mid-range jumper is suspect and streaky and, despite have tremendous athleticism (he's been said to have a 50-inch vertical), his rebounding and help defense are below average.

Maybe alongside Kidd he can make a rookie impact, but if Avery is still the coach, I can see him being glued to the bench for, lack of a better description, just not giving a crap about much besides shooting jumpers.

He's a more athletic Van Horn at this point. Not the college Van Horn, either. The stand around and wait New York/Milwaukee/Dallas-Van Horn.

Plus, I don't think he's entering. I think he'll test, but entering this season he was expected to be a top-5 pick. Now he's late-lottery. I think he'll stick and work himself back into the top-5 for 2009.
Okay that's interesting to read, thanks for the info. Like I said, I didn't know much about him, I was relying on a few scouting reports I read about him. He's a big, athletic 2 who I guess has the ability to slash, which would be great for Dallas. But if he's prone to jacking up jumpers, meh.

Seems like a guy who could be a lot of fun to watch tho.

JMarkJohns
03-23-2008, 04:51 PM
I'll admit I haven't seen much of this guy, but Chase Budinger is very very intriguing.

Good size, great athlete, great shooter, and a SLASHER above all. Not great on defense but probably because nobody asks him to play it.

Not saying he's a gamebreaker, but hell he can't possibly be any worse than Devean George.

Didn't see this post. He has the potential for everything you have written, but just hasn't lived up to expectations yet. Having Lute back should help.

Findog
03-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Dirk's injury seals our fate. We will miss the playoffs. This might be a blessing in disguise, since the Jersey pick is lottery protected. At least his injury gives us an excuse for missing the playoffs.

Indazone
03-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Findog
03-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Turn out the lights, the parties over.

Same for you guys 14 days later.

Findog
03-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Corey Maggette can opt out of his Clipper contract. Something to keep in mind.

himat
03-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I think this could help J Kidd do some things he wants to do now. He is the best player now that Dirk is hurt. This may help, but it only helps if Dallas can survive long enough to make the playoffs.

DazedAndConfused
03-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Dirk's injury seals our fate. We will miss the playoffs. This might be a blessing in disguise, since the Jersey pick is lottery protected. At least his injury gives us an excuse for missing the playoffs.

The smartest thing the Mavs could do is miss the playoffs this year. They simply aren't going to win with Avery's system this season. Fire Avery, bring in some young blood with a good draft pick, and start afresh. Dirk, Terry, Damp, Howard, and even Stackhouse have a few more years left in them.

Findog
03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I think this could help J Kidd do some things he wants to do now. He is the best player now that Dirk is hurt. This may help, but it only helps if Dallas can survive long enough to make the playoffs.

We have two apiece left against the Clippers and Sonics. This team is so dependent upon Dirk, even those are going to be a struggle to win now. But let's assume that we get them. That gets us to 48 wins.

We have left at home: Warriors, Jazz, Hornets.

We have left on the road: Nuggets, Warriors, Lakers, Suns, Blazers.

To be assured of a playoff spot, I think you need to get 52 wins. We have to get a split of those 8 games, and we haven't beaten a +.500 team since Kidd got here. I say we're better off missing the playoffs and keeping the pick. We're going to be pretty tight against the cap, and we can fill a roster spot with a rookie contract slot.

Findog
03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
The smartest thing the Mavs could do is miss the playoffs this year. They simply aren't going to win with Avery's system this season. Fire Avery, bring in some young blood with a good draft pick, and start afresh. Dirk, Terry, Damp, Howard, and even Stackhouse have a few more years left in them.

Cosigned. There's no shame in missing the playoffs in the West this year, especially since we're without our franchise player for the stretch run.

Indazone
03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
You can always get Rasho Nesterovic to make up for the loss of Diop. Dampier simply isn't good enough to hold down the fort by himself in the post.

Findog
03-23-2008, 06:47 PM
It seems pretty clear what to do:

- Get the 14th pick (probably), a slim outside shot at a top-three pick and fill a hole

or

- Squeak into the playoffs, give your first round pick to New Jersey, and get drilled by the #1 seed.

I'm also not in favor of anything that saves Avery's job.

baseline bum
03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
God, just don't draft Darren Collison. It would make me puke having to cheer for him in a Mavs uniform.

ElNono
03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
This thread just makes me remember to be grateful to our Spurs front office.
Here's a team that was in the Finals two years ago, won 67 games last year, and now, basically with what seemed an inocuos trade, completely imploded. I guess Dirk going down will somehow make people forget how screwed up this team got.

It's just so easy to break a good team.

picnroll
03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Lakers and likely the Hornets and Blazers are coming on and will be in a position to dominate in the West the next few years. Blowing it up is not a bad idea because the chances of making changes around the fringes and being a strong title contender the next two three years, the life span of many of the Mavs players, is slim at best. Cuban rolled the dice on Kidd and has come up craps.

Spurs don't make some dramatic moves this summer and they aren't in much better shape.

Findog
03-24-2008, 12:04 AM
^ Kidd's contract comes off the books next year. Oden and the Blazers aren't going to win a title next year but will probably vault into the playoffs. Dirk will turn 30 this summer. I give it one more shot for 08/09 before blowing it up.

Kidd of course looks better running the motion Princeton offense than he does doing the iso sets in Dallas. We need to get some athletes to run with him. I love Dirk, I want more than anything to see him climb that mountain here in Dallas.

The Lakers are going to have a financial crunch after next year when they will need to resign both Odom and Bynum. The reason they can afford the roster they have now is because Bynum is on his rookie contract. They will have some tough choices when it comes time to extend him. Will George Shinn continue to spend money to keep NOLA in the upper echelon, especially given the weak financial base in southern Louisiana?

I blow it up next February if this thing continues to circle the drain.

picnroll
03-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Buss may be willing to lose Odom but he'll still have Bynum, Gasol and Kobe with some nice role players.
Hornets are not in any luxury tax problems and can even comfortably add a MLE next year.
Portland is going to click and come on fast at some point. Fernandez will be coming over in all likelihood. Oden should be back. A lottery pick. They'll have a boatload of cap space in '09 and they want to target Paul or Williams. Maybe Mavs have one more faint, faint hope with this team IF they can bring in some pieces. IF ...

Findog
03-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I really don't see Paul or Williams leaving their teams.

mavsfan1000
03-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Dallas needs a shooting guard in the worst way. Fuck Stackhouse. He needs to be gone. Kidd's contract expiring could get us a superstar. That is if Cuban is willing to pay the big bucks next. Until than, I say keep this team intact except for Stackhouse and Avery.

ducks
03-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Lakers and likely the Hornets and Blazers are coming on and will be in a position to dominate in the West the next few years. Blowing it up is not a bad idea because the chances of making changes around the fringes and being a strong title contender the next two three years, the life span of many of the Mavs players, is slim at best. Cuban rolled the dice on Kidd and has come up craps.

Spurs don't make some dramatic moves this summer and they aren't in much better shape.
spurs do need to get younger

ducks
03-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Udoka has been a good surprise though

himat
03-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Before the trade happened I thought the Kidd deal was riskier than the Shaq deal. I did not think that was possible because Shaq is overaged and overpaid, but the Mavs pulled the trigger right after the Shaq deal.

himat
03-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Udoka has been a good surprise though

He was very good today. If he is always like that (I can only see them on ABC) than he was a very good pickup.

Findog
03-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Time to bump this.

mattb_25
03-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I expect this thread to at the top for the rest of this season, to the draft!

mavs>spurs2
03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I'd like to make a contribution to the thread. I know i've been saying this alot, but now I have an official thread to post it in. Mavs NEED to trade Terry for Magette.

ducks
03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
howard for him

Dirk Nowitzki
03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes The team isnt done. Until we are actually eliminated, stop acting like the war is over. We lost battles but we are still very much in the war. God damn it I cant wait until June to bump this shit when the Mavs win the 2008 championship! Im literally the only fan here who isnt giving up and sees a championship THIS SEASON for the Mavs! :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun

mattb_25
03-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Man, now that you mention it I would like to see Terry gone. I love the guy but he seems to be on the decline lately. I seriously hate seeing him come on the court because I know chances are hes going to miss most of his shots... :(

mavs>spurs2
03-27-2008, 11:50 PM
howard for him

Ive said this in about 3 threads now but I guess i'll say it again:

Ducks, go suck a dick you know nothing about the Spurs much less the Mavs. Howard for Magette isn't going to help us, what we need is size at the 2 position and people to run with Kidd.

Findog
03-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Donald Sterling turned down Terry for Maggette. I'd love to do that deal though. Problem is teams won't want his contract, its terrible value for what he gives you.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-27-2008, 11:54 PM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes The team isnt done. Until we are actually eliminated, stop acting like the war is over. We lost battles but we are still very much in the war. God damn it I cant wait until June to bump this shit when the Mavs win the 2008 championship! Im literally the only fan here who isnt giving up and sees a championship THIS SEASON for the Mavs! :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun

Are you a computer that is programmed to keep saying this?

Findog
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Maggette is absolutely what the Mavs need at the two, and he'll be available with his early opt-out rights and the Clip Show wanting to get younger (and most importantly cheaper) with Al Thornton. Only problem with him is that he's more fragile than Glass Joe. If he plays in 70 games this year, that will be only like the third time in his career.

Findog
03-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Kevin Love! He better not play himself into the top ten.

urunobili
03-28-2008, 08:18 AM
the Mavs need a young point guard... get rid of Stack and Terry for some promising youth or good free agents...

ducks
03-28-2008, 09:36 AM
mavs offseason plan BLAME AVERY
that will solve everything
it had nothing to do with CUBAN

stretch
03-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Ive said this in about 3 threads now but I guess i'll say it again:

Ducks, go suck a dick you know nothing about the Spurs much less the Mavs. Howard for Magette isn't going to help us, what we need is size at the 2 position and people to run with Kidd.
Actually, Magette is about the same height as Howard, but much stronger. And he drives and slash a LOT, unlike Howard.

clambake
03-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Actually, Magette is about the same height as Howard, but much stronger. And he drives and slash a LOT, unlike Howard.
true, but he also takes those cold jumpers. if we had a true post player, everybody else would have the opportunity to be a "slasher".

Findog
03-29-2008, 06:29 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/29/fanhouse-roundtable-what-kind-of-nba-player-will-kevin-love-be/

UCLA's Kevin Love is the NCAA tournament's most talked about player west of Stephen Curry. With Love projected to be a lottery pick, his NBA future is on many people's minds. Not just the normal if he'll go, but what kind of NBA player will he be once he gets there?

So, we got our top hoops minds together to discuss this.

Charles Rich: I'm not so sure he will translate as well to the NBA. I see him much like Shane Battier -- a great college player and a solid NBA player. Great for team chemistry and smart.

Josh Alper: When I read the negatives about Love for the next level I always think that they're trying to find things that are wrong with him rather than stuff that's right. It's true, he isn't freakishly athletic but he's a fantastic basketball player. He's a strong passer, good shooter, goes 100% every minute of the game and knows how to maximize every one of his skills. That's pretty good.

Even if he did turn out like Battier, what's so awful about that? A guy who makes his teammates better and does it happily while helping his team win. I'll take that over a more talented Zach Randolph-type of player.

Ty Keenan: The difference there is that Battier is a terrific defender and Love -- despite his seven blocks against Texas A&M -- is really only passable in that area. The other big difference is that Battier is primarily a jump shooter while Love is a post scorer. Pretty much anybody can get an open corner three in the NBA, but Love will probably have some difficulty scoring over guys who are much bigger and more athletic than he is. I think he'll be reasonably productive just because he's so skilled, but his ceiling is much, much lower than the other well-regarded big men in this class.

Josh: I hear you regarding the expectations, but that's exactly my point about Battier. Superstar or Bust seem to be the only avenues available but 95% of the time the answer is somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't build my team around Love but I'd be surprised if he didn't make a decent team better either. A guy like Jordan might be more athletic and have a higher ceiling but I think there's a better chance he never reaches it.

Ty: The issue is that those negative things necessarily cap his worth at the NBA level. To me, a discussion like this one is as much about managing our expectations for him as much as it's about saying how good he'll be. I really do think he'll be a solid player for quite a few years, but anyone who drafts him in the lottery will be getting a solid player and nothing more. And the fact of the matter is that most lottery teams need something more than a solid player. He reminds me a lot of Sean May in that regard.

Nathan Fowler: My feeling is that if Love gets on an NBA conditioning program and sheds a few pounds he could easily be a Carlos Boozer type player in the NBA - yeah, he'll never be a terrific defender but he's a strong scorer in the low post and he's a GREAT rebounder - that part can't be downplayed, he's going to be a beast on the glass for someone. There are very few teams that can't use a terrific defensive rebounder with solid offensive skills and above average passing skills in the low post - no matter what the defensive limitations (and defensive rebounding is a big part of defensive skills anyways).

Ty: Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. My only point was that he's much more valuable to a playoff team than he is to a lottery team.

Nathan: I think Love's career in the NBA will depend on his willingness to give up Big Macs and hit the treadmill. If he does, he'll be an All-Star. If he stays heavy and plays out of shape or worse, gets hurt, then he's a bust. Teams are really going to have to judge his willingness to change his body.

Sportz Assassin: I think Love will not be an NBA star ... but he can last in the league for a long, long time. He's got a knack for rebounding because of his wide shoulders, knowledge and effort. That can get you in the league.

What will make him stick is the fact he can already hit an 18-foot jump shot. In today's NBA, a guy like Love can make a living being a tough rebounder and hitting that open shot at the top of the key or at the elbows. Horace Grant was outstanding at this with the Bulls. Some have called him a shorter Brad Miller or Mehmet Okur.

Adam Rank: I'm one of those guys who watches college hoops, but doesn't really care much for the NBA. I don't understand why we people try to knock his NBA ability during the middle of UCLA's attempt for a third consecutive Final Four. I agree with Josh that it seems like people are looking for a reason to bash him. He has great skills at the college level, and that's pretty much all I care about although I do believe he could play in the NBA.

Of course, I said that about Nick Fazekas, too.

Ryan Ferguson: I'm with you, Adam. It bothers me a little bit when a college player is already being evaluated for his pro potential as though his college career is nothing more than a warm-up for the NBA draft. As far as I'm concerned, when a player's college career is over, that's when my interest shifts to another emerging player. I'd prefer to appreciate Love for what he brings to the table right now in the college hoops environment. He's a hoot to watch.

Sportz: In Love's case ... it is. He wouldn't be at UCLA if the NBA didn't have their age limit in place. Just like Beasley, Mayo and some of the others. I have issues with the rule (I think it should model the NFL's rule of three years removed), but that's a discussion for another day.

Ty: Well, as someone who watches college and NBA basketball with equal amounts of attention, I can tell you that it's impossible to watch a good college player and not project his NBA career. However, in no way does that stop me from respecting and appreciating what he does at UCLA. He's not my favorite player in the world on a stylistic level, but I would never call him anything less than a terrific college basketball player. But the fact of the matter is that NBA success represents the desired pinnacle of his career, so it's unavoidable for people to think about that, too. At the same time, I don't think that NBA talk should enter into any discussion of his worth as a college player, and that includes during game broadcasts.

Findog
03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Also, just want to reiterate, we cut DJ Mbenga to make room for Juwan Howard, cut Nick Fazekas to make room for Jamaal Magloire, and Avery currently gives more burn to Devean George instead of Antoine Wright. I'll be pissed if we let Wright walk in the offseason because Avery has his head up his ass.

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Howard is our SF why would we trade our SF for a SG? That wouldn't fix anything, then we'd need a new starting SF. I was thinking along the lines of having Magette and Howard both to run the fast break with Kidd, along with needing a low post scorer.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Howard is our SF why would we trade our SF for a SG? That wouldn't fix anything, then we'd need a new starting SF. I was thinking along the lines of having Magette and Howard both to run the fast break with Kidd, along with needing a low post scorer.

Fuck Josh Howard. I'm tired of his low basketball IQ and not bothering to leave the locker room after halftime. Athletic swingmen are a lot easier to replace than post scorers. Mavs should package him with Bass and the 14th pick if Kevin Love is gone in order to get a post scorer.

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Fuck Josh Howard. I'm tired of his low basketball IQ and not bothering to leave the locker room after halftime. Athletic swingmen are a lot easier to replace than post scorers. Mavs should package him with Bass and the 14th pick if Kevin Love is gone in order to get a post scorer.

I'd love to see Howard + 14th pick + filler for a low post scorer but try to keep Bass if at all possible.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
I'd love to see Howard + 14th pick + filler for a low post scorer but try to keep Bass if at all possible.

The Mavs are going to have a hard time keeping Bass. Might as well trade him than let him walk for nothing.

He is on a two-year contract and becomes a free agent in the summer of 2009. Unfortunately, at that point, due to CBA limits the Mavs will only have the ability to offer him a deal that starts at Mid-Level (MLE) money using what is known as the Early Bird cap exception for players with 2 years of consecutive service. The MLE will likely be around $6M, meaning a team with more cap room than that could outbid the Mavs for his ongoing services.

Perhaps a multi-year deal starting at $6M (and raises) will be enough. Or perhaps he would sign a one-year deal for that $6M, getting the Mavs to 3 years of service and the ability to then offer in the summer of 2010 any contractual amount using the full Bird rights that kick in after 3 years.

But the better he gets, the harder it may be to keep him.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Also, according to the latest mock draft, Kevin Love has played himself into the top ten. FUCK! How the fuck is he behind Brook Lopez and DeAndre Jordan?

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Things just aren't looking any better for the Mavs

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Things just aren't looking any better for the Mavs

Nope.

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Mavs should work on a Package sending Terry, Howard, Bass, and the 14th pick to the Clippers for Brand and Magette. I don't know that they'd do it but it's something to think about.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Mavs should work on a Package sending Terry, Howard, Bass, and the 14th pick to the Clippers for Brand and Magette. I don't know that they'd do it but it's something to think about.

If it adds salary, the Clips won't do it, regardless of what it does for them from a talent standpoint. Mavs will have to do a s-n-t for any free agents, so you could pitch it to the original team as getting something for nothing instead of letting a guy completely walk. Howard's contract is a very good value, while Terry's is awful. Bass is getting paid almost nothing, and he's a young guy with a lot of potential, so him, Howard and the 14th pick might be enough to entice them to take Terry as well, but I doubt it. I would love to get Elton Brand here, but I think that's a pipe dream. The other thing with Brand is, he's 6'8. Can he play center for us? Both he and Dirk would be out on the floor for 35 minutes a night. Between the two of them, that would only leave about 13 minutes at center for Erick Dampier. Do you want to pay Damp $10 million a year to play that little?

I'm not saying don't get Elton Brand on account of Erick Dampier, but something would have to be done about him because of the minutes crunch if Brand comes here.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2341454&postcount=40
Any of these strike your interest?

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM

The first 2 deals would definately be home runs for the Mavs but I highly doubt the Clips accept either. Anything involving getting rid of Stackhouse and gaining a low post scorer is a win-win situation.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:31 PM

Oh yeah, of course. Question is, do those strike Donald Sterling's interest? He doesn't like to add salary, and Terry/Stack/Dampier have horrible contracts. They're useful players, but they're all way overpaid. Stack has another 2 years on his deal, while Terry and Damp still have 3 and 4 left on theirs.

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I think alot of our problems boil down to the fact that our best player is a PF who isn't a post scorer and the unavailability of the traditional center.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Could Brand play small forward for us? Does he have the lateral quickness to stay with swingmen out on the perimeter?

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I think alot of our problems boil down to the fact that our best player is a PF who isn't a post scorer and the unavailability of the traditional center.

Yep. Dampier and Diop never scored enough in the post to make up for Dirk's lack of post scoring. Although Damp has been a lot more effective with Kidd. It might be better to miss the playoffs, and make sure we get Kevin Love. He's played his way into the 9-11 range thanks to the tournament, whereas we'll pick at 14. We're not a typical lottery team, so it's not like he'd come here and be asked to be the savior. He'd go a long way towards shoring up post scoring and he's a good rebounder. Him and a legit 2-guard might make for a successful offseason.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Could Brand play small forward for us? Does he have the lateral quickness to stay with swingmen out on the perimeter?
Before I say no, what were your plans if the answer was yes?

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm not exactly the expert on Elton Brand, but from what i've seen I don't think he has the speed/quickness to guard swingmen. If i'm wrong, your idea just might work because we would match up like this:

Dirk guards the opposing teams PF, while Brand takes the swingman.(assuming he's capable)
On the offensive end, they simply switch positions and Brand takes the low post allowing Dirk to play outside.

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Before I say no, what were your plans if the answer was yes?

It's just a conundrum. He plays the same position as Dirk, would give us post scoring we desperately lack, but how do you make it work? Can Brand guard the opposing team's best big, because Dirk can't do it without getting into foul trouble. Brand is 6'8, Dirk is 7'0. Dirk has worked really hard on defense and the best you can say is that he's mediocre now. He's smart enough to be in position and where he's supposed to be, he does a good job of contesting shots at the rim, and he'll give out hard fouls rather than surrender easy baskets. But he's never going to be an all-defense team guy or anything like that.

The other thing is that if we could somehow acquire Brand, then we have no use paying Dampier $10 million to only play 14 minutes a game. Something would have to be done about him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 09:48 PM
How much money will be available for free agents this offseason for the Mavs?

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:50 PM
How much money will be available for free agents this offseason for the Mavs?

We'll be way over the cap. Therefore, any free agents acquired would have to be done in a sign and trade, sending back same amount of salary as we're bringing in. Therefore, if Elton Brand opts out as expected, and wants to come to Dallas for say $15 million a year, he'd have to resign with the Clippers and the Mavs would have to send that amount of salary back to the Clippers.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
They don't have an LLE or MLE?

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
We'll be way over the cap. Therefore, any free agents acquired would have to be done in a sign and trade, sending back same amount of salary as we're bringing in. Therefore, if Elton Brand opts out as expected, and wants to come to Dallas for say $15 million a year, he'd have to resign with the Clippers and the Mavs would have to send that amount of salary back to the Clippers.

We'd have to get them to take some combination of Howard, Bass, Terry, and Stackhouse equaling close to 15mil. (With Terry or Stackhouse being involved only to make the salaries work) The Clips might take it rather than letting him walk for free, who knows?

Findog
03-29-2008, 09:54 PM
They don't have an LLE or MLE?

Yeah, we'll have those, but Brand makes $12 million a year right now. If he opts out, it's because he wants a raise and to get away from the Clippers.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 10:00 PM
How do you guys feel about using most (or perhaps all) of the MLE on Jamario Moon?

Findog
03-29-2008, 10:04 PM
How do you guys feel about using most (or perhaps all) of the MLE on Jamario Moon?

It would hinge on moving Howard elsewhere to fill our need for either postscoring or a 2-guard.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't really even care who gets traded this off-season, anyone can be traded imo. And I think Josh Howard should be traded, and get rid of most of the fools on our bench

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Is Maurice Ager still Mavs property? I don't see him listed on the Mavs roster.

Findog
03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Is Maurice Ager still Mavs property? I don't see him listed on the Mavs roster.

Sent to jersey in the kidd trade.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I still think under the right coaching Ager would have become a beast, there is still hope for him though

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Sent to jersey in the kidd trade.
Ah. :reading

DaDakota
03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Why panic? Dirk is hurt, the Mavs are still a good team with him and Howard as the base.

Get healthy, make some key off season acquisitions and go from there.

Blowing up the team, is not a good idea....haven't you guys learned from the Harris for Kidd debacle yet?

DD

Findog
03-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Why panic? Dirk is hurt, the Mavs are still a good team with him and Howard as the base.

Get healthy, make some key off season acquisitions and go from there.

Blowing up the team, is not a good idea....haven't you guys learned from the Harris for Kidd debacle yet?

DD

Things aren't static. They pretty much brought back 90% of the team that won 67 games and went to the Finals, but they weren't getting the same results. If they had been, they probably wouldn't have traded for Kidd. This team hasn't demonstrated the mental toughness and defensive prowess that last year's team did. Putting aside what happened to Golden State, you don't win all those games if you're not pretty damned good. They got away with being a primarily jump-shooting team because that team could lock opposing offenses down and get stops. That's how you survive on nights when the jumpers aren't falling and you shoot 38%. They won on the road last year too, going 31-10. This year's team will finish with a losing road record.

The Mavs need a post scorer. You can scream about how Dirk is 7'0 and should go inside more. To his credit, he has tried to post up more, but it's just not his game. His post moves are mediocre at best. He's more lethal playing out on the perimeter like the two in a four's body that he is.

And as much as I'd like to convert Terry and Stackhouse into that low-post presence we desperately need, what teams would want their contracts? Our most tradeable commodities are Josh Howard, Brandon Bass and the #14 pick.

DaDakota
03-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Fin,

You are correct in that you do need a legitimate post game to get better......but maybe Brand can be had for some expirings, or you guys pick back up Jamison....

I would not toss our Howard, he hasn't hit his prime yet.

DD

Findog
03-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Fin,

You are correct in that you do need a legitimate post game to get better......but maybe Brand can be had for some expirings, or you guys pick back up Jamison....

I would not toss our Howard, he hasn't hit his prime yet.

DD

Well, the scoop is that he doesn't want to be here and has issues with Cuban (who doesn't these days?) so if that's the case, ship him out for somebody who would love to be a part of our franchise.

BUMP
03-30-2008, 01:45 AM
i've been in denial this whole time saying we are a contender and all that but the Nugget game finally tossed me over the edge, i have pretty much given up hope as far as a deep playoff run is concerned

WalterBenitez
03-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I would love see them go fishing early,

DaDakota
03-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Well, the scoop is that he doesn't want to be here and has issues with Cuban (who doesn't these days?) so if that's the case, ship him out for somebody who would love to be a part of our franchise.

Well if that is the case, then Cuban has really jumped the shark, and that is too bad because I like his passion as an owner.

DD

The Nba Is Rigged
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
The people who I would want this offseason are Joe Johnson, Mickael Pietrus and some low post scorer

BUMP
03-30-2008, 12:44 PM
The people who I would want this offseason are Joe Johnson, Mickael Pietrus and some low post scorer

i dont think getting everybody here is possible, but id definitely take one of them.

mavsfan1000
03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
All we need is Joe Johnson. That would really space out the floor well and give us some more size.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
DALLAS MAVERICKS=2008 NBA CHAMPIONS!!! :clap :clap :clap

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Dirk we need to chill so I can hit a little of whatever you're smokin :smokin

Findog
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7969528/How-will-Love-and-Hansbrough-fare-in-NBA??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99

Charley Rosen seems to think Tyler Hansbrough will have a better pro career than Kevin Love. Interesting...Hansbrough will definitely be available when we pick while Love may very well be gone.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-30-2008, 11:45 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7969528/How-will-Love-and-Hansbrough-fare-in-NBA??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99

Charley Rosen seems to think Tyler Hansbrough will have a better pro career than Kevin Love. Interesting...Hansbrough will definitely be available when we pick while Love may very well be gone.

Rememer when they used to call the mavs "soft white boyz"? Just throwin that out there...

Findog
03-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Rememer when they used to call the mavs "soft white boyz"? Just throwin that out there...

TH plays the game in a fearless manner. I'm not saying he'll end up being a stud, I haven't been that impressed with him when contemplating his potential as a pro. But those are just labels, you don't build a team relying on them.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Hansbrough has no chance in the pros. The guy is undersized and unathletic. He gets routinely destroyed by guys more athletic than him at the college level. He abuses undersized, unathletic college spares, but he's going to face nothing but 6-10 uber-athletes at the pro level. If we draft Hansbrough then just kill me with death. The guy is Mark Madsen 2.0

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 08:53 AM
and Rosen is just underselling Love so that he falls to the Lakers or Spurs.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 08:58 AM
If we can't get Kevin Love, I'd rather have Roy Hibbert than Hansbrough.

But I'd rather have colon cancer than Hansbrough too.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:04 AM
DeAndre Jordan's stock is falling too. That guy is a freak and if he learns how to play actual basketball we could have another Andrew Bynum, or maybe even a Dwight Howard.

Findog
03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Kevin Love is a guy who will most likely end up being a contributing role player on a good team than a potential franchise guy on a bad team, or at least he should anyway. The biggest thing with him is building his body up. He looks like he enjoys fast food a bit too much. Of course he's only 19, so he'll learn the value of a good diet once he gets to the pros.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
If DeAndre Jordan fell far enough, the Mavs would have to consider taking him. He's definitely not a "win now" guy to draft, he'd be a pick to develop for the future, but that's potential & upside that doesn't come around too often.

Findog
03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
If DeAndre Jordan fell far enough, the Mavs would have to consider taking him. He's definitely not a "win now" guy to draft, he'd be a pick to develop for the future, but that's potential & upside that doesn't come around too often.

Are there any 6'11 white guys that can shoot the three ball and do nothing else available in this year's draft? That's who we'll end up picking.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
If DJ Augustin fell far enough, which is doubtful, he's another guy you'd have to take. A "future" pick rather than a "win now" but I see greatness in Augustin.

But that's only if Avery is fired. No need to ruin a good Longhorn PG with a coach incapable of developing a PG.

DazedAndConfused
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Kevin Love has a lot of potential to be good in the NBA. He has very impressive fundamentals for a 19 year old and one of the best outlet passes I've ever seen from a center.

Hansboro has no chance in the NBA. Slow, white, unathletic, going to get dominated by the pros just like JJ Reddick did when he came over.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:58 AM
I would LOVE to see Tyler Hansbrough vs. Dwight Howard one-on-one. Howard would win in a 7-0 skunk and get about 40 blocks.

ElNono
03-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Whatever happened to the Mavericks? This used to be a contender 2 years ago, pretty much with the same pieces you have now. To see you guys discuss what's the better pick in the lottery is just so strange. Not to mention that the only pick in recent years I can think of that took a team deep in the playoffs is Lebron. With Kidd and his window closing, the odds of the Mavs finding ready-now talent in the middle of the first round is very difficult at best.
It's been argued ad-nauseam that Devin Harris was nothing special and Diop was no Duncan stopper. Coach is the same. So what happened?
Is it Eddie Jones fault? I still don't understand how you can implode like that.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
The team is soft and mentally weak. And it's not Dirk. It's Jet, Howard, Stack, the entire group around Dirk.

The team was built up by Avery's "rah-rah" coaching but after failing miserably two years straight they gave up on Avery. I really don't think Avery is saying "hey let's not attack the basket, let's be unaggressive, let's jack up stupid jumpers, and let's try our best to play with no energy on defense".......the team is tuning him out, and while maybe that's partly Avery's fault, it's even more the fault of the team he's coaching for not even listening.

The supporting cast around Dirk & Kidd has to be completely overhauled if they want a chance in this thing.

I'm not even opposed to keeping Avery if they get rid of all the other dead weight on this team.

Findog
03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Whatever happened to the Mavericks? This used to be a contender 2 years ago, pretty much with the same pieces you have now. To see you guys discuss what's the better pick in the lottery is just so strange. Not to mention that the only pick in recent years I can think of that took a team deep in the playoffs is Lebron. With Kidd and his window closing, the odds of the Mavs finding ready-now talent in the middle of the first round is very difficult at best.
It's been argued ad-nauseam that Devin Harris was nothing special and Diop was no Duncan stopper. Coach is the same. So what happened?
Is it Eddie Jones fault? I still don't understand how you can implode like that.

They're not far from being a contender now, as much of a mess it's been. They have 28 losses, New Orleans has 22 I believe. They're only 6 behind in the loss column from the best team in the conference. And I'd like to think that having Dirk for the Houston, Denver, Golden State and second half of the San Antonio games might've made a difference. This isn't a typical year in the West, so it's no shame to lose out and finish ninth when your best player wasn't available for the stretch run. And no, LeBron is not going to be available at the 14th pick, but a guy who can join the rotation at a rookie contract should be. That's probably a blessing in the long run.

Long story short, the team has begun to tune Avery out, and some guys like Terry and Stack have begun to decline and aren't very useful anymore. They have a chance to retool this thing and be right back in the middle of things next year, but it's going to be a very pivotal summer. I just hope they don't sign a bunch of aging dinosaurs with nothing left like Juwan or Eddie Jones. Those guys gave us nothing this year.

Findog
03-31-2008, 10:16 AM
The team is soft and mentally weak. And it's not Dirk. It's Jet, Howard, Stack, the entire group around Dirk.

The team was built up by Avery's "rah-rah" coaching but after failing miserably two years straight they gave up on Avery. I really don't think Avery is saying "hey let's not attack the basket, let's be unaggressive, let's jack up stupid jumpers, and let's try our best to play with no energy on defense".......the team is tuning him out, and while maybe that's partly Avery's fault, it's even more the fault of the team he's coaching for not even listening.

The supporting cast around Dirk & Kidd has to be completely overhauled if they want a chance in this thing.

I'm not even opposed to keeping Avery if they get rid of all the other dead weight on this team.

I'm not going to lay all of the blame at Avery's feet for this season's struggles, you have a bunch of mental midgets that don't listen to him anymore. On the other hand, Dampier gets 12 minutes last night. Why? It's a myth that he can't be effective against GS. He sure was effective earlier this year when we played them, and he's been even better at running the floor with Kidd. Kidd gets 27 minutes in a pivotal home game against the Lakers. Why? He sits out the final play against San Antonio. Why?

Avery shouldn't have EVERYTHING put at his doorstep, but this team has underachieved, and he's made several dumbass moves, so I want to see him held accountable for what he's responsible for.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Avery shouldn't have EVERYTHING put at his doorstep, but this team has underachieved, and he's made several dumbass moves, so I want to see him held accountable for what he's responsible for.
I'm definitely in agreement. I've been a pretty harsh critic of Avery for a while now. And I've even called for his firing and ordered myself a nice "Fire Avery" t-shirt.

But I guess my big fear is that Cuban is going to fire Avery with no clue what his next move should be. I'd hope for Del Harris, but besides him, I don't know if there's a coach out there who can coach this team better than Avery. And I think there's a better chance of Avery learning from his mistakes and there's a better chance that his "rah-rah" style will catch on with a fresh group of guys, rather than hoping this same group of soft jump shooting pussies will change their ways with a new coach.

So I'm all for firing Avery as long as Cuban has some sort of ace in the hole as far as a new coach goes. But if not, it would work a lot better to just get rid of the dead weight and let Avery preach to a new group of players.

Findog
03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, if you're calling for Avery's dismissal, then you also have to call for new personnel, because the blame for this season doesn't strictly fall at one end of the spectrum.

clambake
03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
why does everyone want to dump howard?

you think he's damaged goods?

you think he can't be salvaged?

Findog
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM

1) He doesn't want to be here.

2) He has a low basketball IQ.

3) He rarely if ever plays a full 48 minutes or shows up after halftime.

He should be a #3 guy on an elite team, not the #2 guy he is for us.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

You're satisfied with him going thru the motions every 2nd half of every game? That "I really don't give a shit" look he always has on his face, whether they're up by 3 or down by 25? The fact that, now that he's a well paid All-Star, he can't do dirty work like he used to?

The guy's ego has inflated well beyond what his talent should allow, he only plays for half the game, and he looks like there's about 1000 other places he'd rather be than on the court with the Mavericks.

Get rid of him.

clambake
03-31-2008, 10:34 AM
1) He doesn't want to be here.

2) He has a low basketball IQ.

3) He rarely if ever plays a full 48 minutes or shows up after halftime.

He should be a #3 guy on an elite team, not the #2 guy he is for us.
he doesn't want to be a mav? can you expand on that? i live in cali, and i hadn't heard that.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 10:35 AM
he doesn't want to be a mav? can you expand on that? i live in cali, and i hadn't heard that.
yeah i hadn't heard him actually state it, so that would be interesting to know more about.

but his body language sure screams it.

Findog
03-31-2008, 10:36 AM

Apparently he has issues with Cuban and wouldn't mind a trade to the Bobcats and being back in NC. If that's the case, ship his ass out for Gerald Wallace. Wallace is two years younger, isn't in love with his jumpshot, and goes all out for 48 minutes a game on both ends of the court. Wallace hasn't fallen in love with himself after getting his money.

clambake
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
issues with cuban? how can you have issues with a guy that try's everything to win? has cuban been openly critical of howards game ? or what?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 10:48 AM
the team is a bunch of pussy bitches. it's alot easier to point the finger at the coach & owner than it is to point the finger at themselves.

everyone but Dirk & Kidd should be fair game. And Howard/Stack/Jet all have to be off this team next year. I don't care if we get 50 cents on the dollar in a trade, but Howard/Jet/Stack absolutely have to go.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
The positions that I see that are weaknesses on this team are shooting guard, backup center, backup power forward, and backup SF. The scrubs that need to go are Stackhouse (too old), George (too horrible on offense), Bass (too poor defensively and rebounding), and Malik Allen (also to poor in those categories).
So I'll put question marks around the positions I want changed on this team. Coach change is also wanted.
C Dampier
PF Nowitzki
SF Howard
SG ?
PG Kidd
backup C ?
backup PF ?
backup SF ?
backup SG Wright
backup PG Terry

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
you're a fucking idiot if you think Brandon Bass needs to go. if there's a good trade to get a big time player, let him go, but otherwise he's been great for this team.

Brandon Bass
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Bass (too poor defensively and rebounding)
:madrun

clambake
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
you're a fucking idiot if you think Brandon Bass needs to go. if there's a good trade to get a big time player, let him go, but otherwise he's been great for this team.
agreed. bass is the only guy that wants the paint, outside of damp.

"outside of damp". i never thought i'd be saying shit like this. damp is now a player.

stretch
03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
If DJ Augustin fell far enough, which is doubtful, he's another guy you'd have to take. A "future" pick rather than a "win now" but I see greatness in Augustin.

But that's only if Avery is fired. No need to ruin a good Longhorn PG with a coach incapable of developing a PG.
I love Augustin, that dude is awesome. But after his poor performance against Memphis, his stock may take a small hit, possibly dropping him just enough. But i still doubt it.

stretch
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
i would like to see wright get more minutes. try to develop him as much as possible for next season. the dude has skills. him and bass both.

whoever things we need to get rid of bass is a moron though.

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Actually, Mavs might want to consider trading Bass and getting something for him while they can.

He is on a two-year contract and becomes a free agent in the summer of 2009. Unfortunately, at that point, due to CBA limits the Mavs will only have the ability to offer him a deal that starts at Mid-Level (MLE) money using what is known as the Early Bird cap exception for players with 2 years of consecutive service. The MLE will likely be around $6M, meaning a team with more cap room than that could outbid the Mavs for his ongoing services.

Perhaps a multi-year deal starting at $6M (and raises) will be enough. Or perhaps he would sign a one-year deal for that $6M, getting the Mavs to 3 years of service and the ability to then offer in the summer of 2010 any contractual amount using the full Bird rights that kick in after 3 years.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I've never seen a team eat their own like mavs fans. Then again, cowgirls of irving fans do it, too, so it must be a Dal thing.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Actually, Mavs might want to consider trading Bass and getting something for him while they can.
I don't disagree with that. For the right player, I'd move Bass in a heartbeat.

But I disagree with the foolish notion that Bass needs to be traded because he's been ineffective.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I've never seen a team eat their own like mavs fans. Then again, cowgirls of irving fans do it, too, so it must be a Dal thing.
America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

ElNono
03-31-2008, 11:35 AM

The problem with offering Bass a moderately good contract is that I can already see Cubes going in frenzy mode if the Mavs don't make the playoffs. He will probably be pissed enough to be paying luxury tax money and start shipping out big contracts like Damp's and probably everyone else not named Dirk or Kidd. You also have to wonder how much Cubes trusts Nellie's son at this point, as far as recruiting talent. Guys like George, Jones, Van Horn, Croshere, Ager, etc have been around and added absolutely nothing to the team.

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:37 AM

Why don't you shut the fuck up? Is there not a Sonics to OKC thread you can't post? If the Spurs were the trainwreck mess that Dallas is, you'd have the same reaction. This is a positive thread speculating about what the team needs to do to get better, not pointless bitching.

Again, shut the fuck up.

JamStone
03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Several weeks back, I proposed a trade and some Mavs fans were open to it. I re-visit it now. Would you do this trade, straight up, player for player?

Erick Dampier for Eddy Curry.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
In a heartbeat.

Findog
Several weeks back, I proposed a trade and some Mavs fans were open to it. I re-visit it now. Would you do this trade, straight up, player for player?

No. Curry solves one problem, he creates several others. He can score in the post, but he can't rebound for shit or play any D, plus he might drop dead at any time like Hank Gathers.

MajorMike
Why don't you shut the fuck up? Is there not a Sonics to OKC thread you can't post? If the Spurs were the trainwreck mess that Dallas is, you'd have the same reaction. This is a positive thread speculating about what the team needs to do to get better, not pointless bitching.

Again, shut the fuck up.

lol, yeah REAL positive thread here. Again you show why you are one class act.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
No. Curry solves one problem, he creates several others. He can score in the post, but he can't rebound for shit or play any D, plus he might drop dead at any time like Hank Gathers.
Damp isn't effective when he picks up 3 fouls in 6 minutes and sits on the bench. And when it comes down to it, Damp is about as incapable in post defense as Curry. You ever see Tim Duncan get stopped by Damp when Duncan absolutely had to make a shot in the post?

And rebounding is just working harder than the other team for the ball. We can make up for that if we get rid of bullshitters like Terry & Howard.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:46 AM

It was until you had to throw your useless two cents in. If I want to read Spurs fans making fun of the Mavericks, I'll go lurk in the spurs section. This thread is about the Mavericks offseason. If you have something to contribute, by all means do so. Otherwise, go suck off Clay Bennett, as is your wont.

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Can Mavs fans keep all of their Mav-hating, self-pitying garbage in a single thread?

No one gives a crap about the Mavs.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-31-2008, 11:49 AM

Hell no, Eddy Curry is a lazy fat bum. At least Damp works hard on defense

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Can Mavs fans keep all of their Mav-hating, self-pitying garbage in a single thread?

post under your real name if you can. No one gives a crap about you.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Wow, all the bitching about "goddammit, we need a back to the basket post scoring sonofabitch! and we need him now! get us a dominant post scorer ASAP" but someone suggests a great post scorer and immediately excuses are made as to why we don't need him.

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I guess you guys should have listened to me last summer when I told you the Mavs were garbage huh?

You guys want to pretend the season is over for everyone, unfortunately the rest of the league is gearing up for the playoffs.

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow, all the bitching about "goddammit, we need a back to the basket post scoring sonofabitch! and we need him now! get us a dominant post scorer ASAP" but someone suggests a great post scorer and immediately excuses are made as to why we don't need him.

As long as we get a backup center for Curry that can play some D, I could be talked into it. But why would the Knicks take Dampier for him?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I guess you guys should have listened to me last summer when I told you the Mavs were garbage huh?

You guys want to pretend the season is over for everyone, unfortunately the rest of the league is gearing up for the playoffs.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 11:54 AM

Lol, even a poor swole Suns fan agrees.

"Gotta keep those good vibrations happenin'...."

monosylab1k

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat

The Nba Is Rigged

Wow dude, You are a real Moron

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:55 AM

Congratulations on possibly making the third Finals appearance in your team's history. Unfortunately, it'll go EXACTLY like the first, and you'll have Shaq's contract on your books for two more years. Plus, I can't wait for him to throw everybody under the bus when the Suns fail again.

JamStone
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM
As long as we get a backup center for Curry that can play some D, I could be talked into it. But why would the Knicks take Dampier for him?

Cleaning house. They have to get rid of either Curry or Randolph as they have proven not capable of co-existing. They probably keep Zach because his contract is uglier and at least he rebounds. Might not play much defense either, but he does rebound, and he's in better shape. Getting Dampier to replace him doesn't really upgrade, but it probably creates better balance for the team.

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM

You should have seen these fools last summer talking their mouths off about the Mavs (even though they lost in the first round).

Now they're this sad, pathetic gang who do nothing but talk about how much they hate their team and how much they love the KFC joke.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
lawl

Monos' posts tend to get extremely hateful when he gets owned.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
You should have seen these fools last summer talking theirs mouths off about the Mavs (even though they lost in the first round).

Now they're this sad, pathetic gang who do nothing but talk about how much they hate their team and how much they love the KFC joke.

F U

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Congratulations on possibly making the first Finals appearance in your team's history.

Hey, must be talking 'bout the mavs!

monosylab1k
lawl

da_suns_fan
Congratulations on possibly making the third Finals appearance in your team's history. Unfortunately, it'll go EXACTLY like the first, and you'll have Shaq's contract on your books for two more years. Plus, I can't wait for him to throw everybody under the bus when the Suns fail again.

:lol :lol

Enjoy the lottery.

Remember when I posed the question last year of how the Mavs could "one up" themselves?

I mean, they go from choking away the championship, to choking in the first round, to not even making the playoffs.

They DID IT!!! THEY FOUND A WAY!!

Whats next?

monosylab1k

Findog
03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
You should have seen these fools last summer talking theirs mouths off about the Mavs (even though they lost in the first round).

What's funny is that the Suns added Shaq's contract in order to beat the Spurs, and even if they can get past San Antonio, they're going to be curbstomped by Detroit or Boston. I doubt you'll have the guts to show your face around here when the Suns are eliminated again, unless it's bitching and whining about how David Stern screwed the Suns again.

At least we stick through our team during good times and bad.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
You should have seen these fools last summer talking their mouths off about the Mavs (even though they lost in the first round).

Hey remember that name you used before you got banned?

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
:lol :lol

Enjoy the lottery.

Remember when I posed the question last year of how the Mavs could "one up" themselves?

I mean, they go from choking away the championship, to choking in the first round, to not even making the playoffs.

They DID IT!!! THEY FOUND A WAY!!

Whats next?

While the Suns are being eliminated by take your pick of

A) Lakers
B) Spurs
C) Jazz
D) Hornets
E) Pistons
F) Celtics

the Mavs will be getting a useful player with the 14th pick. I suppose the Suns could win a title if they could somehow avoid those 6 teams. And with all of our struggles and Dirk being out, we're only 4 behind the Suns in the loss column. I'd like to see what Phoenix could do while missing Nash. So while you've screwed your cap situation with Shaq and come up short yet again, the Mavs are at least on the road to getting better.

lol, the Suns.

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:05 PM

Ooh, CaptMike and da_suns_fan. A real meeting of the minds, if you will.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:06 PM
You guys spend so much negativity on putting down other people that you completely can't keep drawing a straight line from A to B in a conversation. A month ago the Mavs were about to get the last piece of the puzzle; now you want to blow up the entire team and you don't even know why. Its not the effort that is sad from ya'll, its the output. You can't make yourself happy with your own thoughts so you have to try and make others feel worse.

Which is why you will always be a bandwagoneer, 2nd rate franchise.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Imagine if the Suns moved to OKC. There would be a mind-blowing explosion that city hasn't seen since McVeigh paid a visit.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
You guys spend so much negativity on putting down other people that you completely can't keep drawing a straight line from A to B in a conversation. A month ago the Mavs were about to get the last piece of the puzzle; now you want to blow up the entire team and you don't even know why. Its not the effort that is sad from ya'll, its the output. You can't make yourself happy with your own thoughts so you have to try and make others feel worse.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Imagine if the Suns moved to OKC. There would be a mind-blowing explosion that city hasn't seen since McVeigh paid a visit.

You guys spend so much negativity on putting down other people that you completely can't keep drawing a straight line from A to B in a conversation.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:09 PM

You guys spend so much negativity on putting down other people that you completely can't keep drawing a straight line from A to B in a conversation.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:09 PM

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
A month ago the Mavs were about to get the last piece of the puzzle

A month ago most Mav fans were cautiously optimistic about the Kidd trade, not planning a championship parade. It would be easier to have even a tiny shred of respect for you or take you seriously if you knew what you were talking about or demonstrated any coherence at all, or resisted hyperbole and making strawman statements.

now you want to blow up the entire team and you don't even know why.

We want changes because the status quo isn't working. Of course that's hard for you to understand.

You can't make yourself happy with your own thoughts so you have to try and make others feel worse.

Excuse me? Last I checked, this was a thread devoted to discussing the Mavs offseason. Who came in here and started talking shit? Who picked a fight? It was you, fuckface. If you have something worthwhile to contribute as far as the Mavs offseason goes, by all means pipe up. Otherwise you're just trolling.

Which is why you will always be a bandwagoneer, 2nd rate franchise

Right, because we have so much effect on what takes place out on the court. Bandwagoners don't stick through this team during 11 wins and Quinn Buckner. We'll see where you are when Tim Duncan retires.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Right, because we have so much effect on what takes place out on the court. Bandwagoners don't stick through this team during 11 wins and Quinn Buckner. We'll see where you are when Tim Duncan retires.

You see, that's the most logical thing you have said. If you can keep from reverting to mono-level dickdom and just calmly say it like it is, you wouldn't look like such and idiot on your quick-little-thought-out rants.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:14 PM

I'm going to go into this thread with the sole purpose of putting down the Mavs and offering nothing contstructive, then get pissed when I get put down in return! Why? Cuz I'm a hypocritical douchebag!

Oklahomo Rules!

Here's some more pointless trolling bullshit!

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
You see, that's the most logical thing you have said. If you can keep from reverting to mono-level dickdom and just calmly say it like it is, you wouldn't look like such and idiot on your quick-little-thought-out rants.

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:15 PM

If I follow the chronology of this thread correctly, Mav fans were discussing their team and the upcoming lottery and offseason and were called out for it by a Spurs fan just looking to talk shit and troll. I'm not a board nanny, post what you want, but don't lecture us about being dicks and idiots. Look in the mirror.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
mono-level dickdom

Wow, he even has to change quotes to look cool. The true definition of sad. 18-1.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow, he even has to change quotes to look cool. The true definition of sad. 18-1.

monosylab1k

ElNono

How is Curry a 'great post scorer'?.... He can't even thrive in the Knicks?
I can't recall his giving anybody trouble. Plus, I don't care what Isiah says, the guy is fat and out of shape. Might aswell offer Bass a good contract.

There are few and far between good post players in the league. If I were Cubes, I would be giving Elton Brand a tour of Dallas and vacations paid to Hawaii. That's the kind of guy you need.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
There is a difference between being an idiot and stirring the pot. If you can't take a truthful look at yourself without getting all pissed off then perhaps it isn't me you shouldn't be mad at.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
There is a difference between being an idiot and stirring the pot. If you can't take a truthful look at yourself without getting all pissed off then perhaps it isn't me you shouldn't be mad at.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:19 PM

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
How is Curry a 'great post scorer'?.... He can't even thrive in the Knicks?
I can't recall his giving anybody trouble. Plus, I don't care what Isiah says, the guy is fat and out of shape. Might aswell offer Bass a good contract.

There are few and far between good post players in the league. If I were Cubes, I would be giving Elton Brand a tour of Dallas and vacations paid to Hawaii. That's the kind of guy you need.
Curry had a great season last year, all things considered. I'm concerned about his conditioning and commitment, but he IS a great post scorer. There's certainly a lot of risk involved, but the Mavs have been wanting a guy to get points in the paint for years, and Curry is someone who can do it very well.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm going to go into this thread with the sole purpose of putting down the Mavs and offering nothing contstructive, then get pissed when I get put down in return! Why? Cuz I'm a hypocritical douchebag!

Oklahomo Rules!

Here's some more pointless trolling bullshit!

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM

I don't need to be lectured about being a good fan from somebody who has rarely had to suffer through adversity with his team. What's the worst part of being a Spurs fan? Losing in the second round of the playoffs? Tanking your season and getting Tim Duncan for your troubles?

What's so bad about talking about the offseason when our season ended when Dirk went down? Why is that something to be called out over? You came in here and talked shit and took shots for no other reason than to take shots, but it looks like you can dish it but you can't take it.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't need to be lectured about being a good fan from somebody who has rarely had to suffer through adversity with his team.

...uh... I'm a Raiders fan.

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Three Championships.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:30 PM
I was 12 the last time we won a SB

ElNono
03-31-2008, 12:31 PM

When was that, a year ago? :lol

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:31 PM

I was 17 the last time the Cowboys won the SuperBowl. And their struggles since then are not that bad because of the success they've had. I think I was upset about the loss to the Giants for about, oh, 5 seconds after Romo threw that pick. The Mavs just break your hearts.

mattb_25
03-31-2008, 12:32 PM

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Tanking your season and getting Tim Duncan for your troubles?

If you really think that is how it went, you may have more issues than I thought.

What's so bad about talking about the offseason when our season ended when Dirk went down?

It makes you look like a wuss who gave up. Did Rockets fans give up when Yao went down? No. Did Laker fans give up when Pau went down? No. Did mavs fans give up when Dirk went down? Yes; even before the 4th qtr started.

All this and he is supposed to come back earlier. Its completely sad to be shoveling dirt on the mavs grave when you are still kicking. Completely.

mattb_25
03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Did Rockets fans give up when Yao went down? No. Did Laker fans give up when Pau went down? No. Did mavs fans give up when Dirk went down? Yes; even before the 4th qtr started.

Well you just left out a single detail about those teams, they were playing great.

We've been struggling for awhile now, so it's just natural for us to realize the truth that this team is at a low, and has been for a good month or two.

I know I'm not giving up on this team. But if we dont make the playoffs, so be it, hopefully next year we can make some moves and get back to being the team we were.

stretch
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
are you really?

stretch
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
When was that, a year ago? :lol
The Raiders haven't won a SB since like 83 or 84.

Findog
03-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Did Rockets fans give up when Yao went down? No.

They gave up on their championship hopes, which is no different from Mav fans.

Did Laker fans give up when Pau went down? No.

Considering he's expected back well before the playoffs, apples to oranges.

Did mavs fans give up when Dirk went down? Yes; even before the 4th qtr started.

This team can't win a title without Dirk. Doesn't mean I've stopped watching the games or rooting for my team, but I've had to adjust expectations.

All this and he is supposed to come back earlier.

Nobody knows for sure when he's coming back. There are whispers he'll play on Wednesday against GS. If that's the case, and go back to any thread where it's come up, and I like our chances a whole lot better to make the playoffs. If he's out any longer than that though, and they've been saying recovery time is normally anywhere from 2-4 weeks, we are not going to be able to hold off Denver and Golden State without him.

Its completely sad to be shoveling dirt on the mavs grave when you are still kicking. Completely

Uh, this team can't do anything special without Dirk, and we don't know when he's coming back. There's no throwing your team under the bus by acknowledging that fact.

clambake
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
how many "trade manu" threads have been created?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
There are whispers he'll play on Wednesday against GS.
Avery said he isn't even running yet. Only in the pool. I doubt he's ready by then.

Findog
03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Avery said he isn't even running yet. Only in the pool. I doubt he's ready by then.

Yep. Which is why I'm not counting on him playing. I don't really want to rush him back if it means he saves Avery.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
:lmao i'm in the sig! nothing says true ownage like pissing someone off so much that they feel the need to quote you in their sig! Not to mention the fact that he follows me around the forums looking for a fight but can't get anything except KFC.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
are you really?

Schroeder, Marinovich, Evans, Beuerlein, Hilger, Hostetler, George, Hollas, Collins, Tuiasosopo, Brooks, Walters, McCown, Culpepper

Yeah, really.

I left out Wilson and Gannon because they actually did something.

clambake
03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
well, i think this donnie, don and cuban thing needs to be examined. how can it not have an affect on team decisions?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I can go on pro-football-reference.com and use that to list every QB that's started for the Saints for the past 25 years, doesn't make me a Saints fan.

I guess if I wanted to make accusations about a certain player ruining my team, but failing to find any evidence whatsoever to prove my point.....

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:28 PM
:lmao Walters

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
well, i think this donnie, don and cuban thing needs to be examined. how can it not have an affect on team decisions?
true, i've wondered this for a while.

plus donnie has been horrible as a GM.

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 01:32 PM

A) Lakers
B) Spurs
C) Jazz
D) Hornets
E) Pistons
F) Celtics

the Mavs will be getting a useful player with the 14th pick. I suppose the Suns could win a title if they could somehow avoid those 6 teams. And with all of our struggles and Dirk being out, we're only 4 behind the Suns in the loss column. I'd like to see what Phoenix could do while missing Nash. So while you've screwed your cap situation with Shaq and come up short yet again, the Mavs are at least on the road to getting better.

lol, the Suns.

Funny you should say that considering the Suns got all the way to the WCF when Amare went down.

Now Dirk goes down and Mavs fans are in a disgusting state of self-pity.

I guess they should have kept Nash, huh Findog?

btw - not having Dirk shouldn't be an excuse considering the Mavs were losing to everyone and their brother BEFORE Dirk went down.

Also - How many of you thought of me when Bill Simmons dubbed Avery Johnson "the over-coacher"?

Remember when I was saying how much he over-managed and how it hurt his team? You guys defended and defended him until your faces turned blue. NOW you guys all want him fired!!!

You guys really need to start listening to me.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Funny you should say that considering the Suns got all the way to the WCF when Amare went down.

btw - not having Dirk shouldn't be an excuse considering the Mavs were losing to everyone and their brother BEFORE Dirk went down.

Also - How many of you thought of me when Bill Simmons dubbed Avery Johnson "the over-coacher"?

Remember when I was saying how much he over-managed and how it hurt his team? You guys defended and defended him until your faces turned blue. NOW you guys all want him fired!!!

You guys really need to start listening to me.
i liked you better before Kori owned you and your old name.

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
i liked you better before Kori owned you and your old name.

No you didn't. I was saying all the things Im saying now. Its just now I've been vindicated and you guys look stupid.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
No you didn't. I was saying all the things Im saying now. Its just now I've been vindicated and you guys look stupid.
yawn. you've become a tired self-parody now. too bad your real name got banned.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I can go on pro-football-reference.com and use that to list every QB that's started for the Saints for the past 25 years, doesn't make me a Saints fan.

I guess if I wanted to make accusations about a certain player ruining my team, but failing to find any evidence whatsoever to prove my point.....

If I were weak sauce like yourself, I could very well do that if I wanted.

However listing stuff on paper won't show the joy of watching Bo jackson carry the Boz across the goal or the horror of watching him carted off the field. It won't show you the embarrasment from the Robo QB experiment. It won't show how you ask yourself every year why we are starting some other team's backup from last year. You can't see the question about how you got killed by the Bills in the conf game or why Shell was originally fired. Or even wondering why we can go from the SB to winning 4 games the next year.

So, yeah, I could be like you. Lucky for the rest of us, I ain't.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
If I were weak sauce like yuorself, I could very well do that if I wanted.

However listing stuff on paper won't show the joy of watching Bo jackson carry the Boz across the goal or the horror of watching him carted off the field. It won't show you the embarrasment from the Robo QB experiment. It won't show how you ask yourself every year why we are starting some other team's backup from last year. You can't see the question about how you got killed by the Bills in the conf game or why Shell was originally fired. Or even wondering why we can go from the SB to winning 4 games the next year.

So, yeah, I could be like you. Lucky for the rest of us, I ain't.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Monos' posts tend to get extremely hateful when he gets owned.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 01:44 PM

Findog
03-31-2008, 02:21 PM

And why shouldn't they have? Amare's not your best player, and you beat two crappy LA teams to get there. I like how you act as if there's some huge gulf between Phoenix and Dallas, when there's 4 games separating them in the loss column, which is a smaller gap than between Boston and Detroit. And given how tight and competitive the West is this year, Phoenix would be in the same boat as Dallas if Nash had sprained his knee and ankle - sinking and headed towards the lottery. That's what happens when you're simulataneously three games away from both the top seed and the 9 spot. You said enjoy the lottery and I will - we'll be getting a useful player at 14 while the Suns once again enjoy a playoff exit thanks to shitty defense.

No, Mavs fans realize they can't do major damage in the playoffs without their best player. What a shocking concept!

Yeah, since we've gone further without him and got better without him, and actually had bigs that can defend the Duncans and Mings of the league. Yeah, horrible mistake. Good luck getting past New Orleans (Paul), Utah (Deron), San Antonio (Parker), Detroit (Billups) or Boston (Rondo) with Nash there to "stop" dribble penetration.

The Mavs were losing close games to elite teams and curbstomping bad ones, which is not far off from what Phoenix has been doing with Shaq.

Bill Simmons and da_suns_fan: basketball experts

:lmao

Nobody has been sucking his dick since he got worked by Nellie and Riley.

You guys really need to start listening to me

For comic amusement, no doubt.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
My favorite prediction from Bill Simmons: Basketball Expert was when he called last year's Suns "historically good" and said they would be better than the Showtime Lakers.

Findog
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
My favorite prediction from Bill Simmons: Basketball Expert was when he called last year's Suns "historically good" and said they would be better than the Showtime Lakers.

It's no surprise that dsf would take his cue from the Sports Douche.

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
And why shouldn't they have? Amare's not your best player, and you beat two crappy LA teams to get there. I like how you act as if there's some huge gulf between Phoenix and Dallas, when there's 4 games separating them in the loss column, which is a smaller gap than between Boston and Detroit. And given how tight and competitive the West is this year, Phoenix would be in the same boat as Dallas if Nash had sprained his knee and ankle - sinking and headed towards the lottery. That's what happens when you're simulataneously three games away from both the top seed and the 9 spot. You said enjoy the lottery and I will - we'll be getting a useful player at 14 while the Suns once again enjoy a playoff exit thanks to shitty defense.

I agree that the West is tough, but the way Dallas imploded BEFORE Dirk went down was just...well....dallas maverick-esque!!

And while you give yourself kudos on getting a useful player at 14, remember that the Suns will (at worst) be getting a useful player at 15 via Atlanta. Suck on that, Fin-Doggy!!

No, Mavs fans realize they can't do major damage in the playoffs without their best player. What a shocking concept!

Really? You think I haven't been monitoring this board? You guys were calling your team finished LONG before Dirk went down. Should I bring up the game thread where your team was 25 down to the Kobe-less Lakers? Your posts, in particular were quite pathetic.

It has nothing to do with Dirk's recent injuries. You guys FOLDED just as quickly as your team does.

Yeah, since we've gone further without him and got better without him, and actually had bigs that can defend the Duncans and Mings of the league. Yeah, horrible mistake. Good luck getting past New Orleans (Paul), Utah (Deron), San Antonio (Parker), Detroit (Billups) or Boston (Rondo) with Nash there to "stop" dribble penetration.

LMAO! Your owner goes out and mortgages the future for pass-first point guard with leadership capabilities when he already let STEVE NASH walk away for half the price of Jason Kidd! Has there ever been a bigger blunder?

The Mavs were losing close games to elite teams and curbstomping bad ones, which is not far off from what Phoenix has been doing with Shaq.

Right. Only the Suns have beaten Boston, San Antonio and Houston since Shaq arrived and Dallas can't even beat the bad teams anymore.

Bill Simmons and da_suns_fan: basketball experts

:lmao

Laugh all you want, but I claimed that Avery over-managed a long time ago, and as soon as Simmons dubbed him the "over-coacher", YOU and your buddies all jumped on the "avery over-coaches" bandwagon. IVE SEEN the game threads!

You heard it from me first. You accepted it when Bill Simmons blogged about it.

Nobody has been sucking his dick since he got worked by Nellie and Riley.

:rolleyes

That must have been another obnoxious fan base last summer who was claiming what a great coach he was.

For comic amusement, no doubt.

You provide me the comic amusement as well. I loved your recent anti-Suns posts that have come out of nowhere. You know, how you can "handle" anyone winning it except the Suns. Or how the Mavs arent winning it but neither are the Suns and thats all you care about. Or how you start threads calling Amare dumb.

Im glad to see my team causes you so much anguish.

Hey Findog...if the Suns win the championship, promise me you won't shoot yourself. Im sure you'll respond with "they won't", but just promise me you'll remember that its just a game and its suppose to be fun when Nash holds up that trophy and the Mavs look even worse (if thats possible).

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree that the West is tough, but the way Dallas imploded BEFORE Dirk went down was just...well....dallas maverick-esque!!

And while you give yourself kudos on getting a useful player at 14, remember that the Suns will (at worst) be getting a useful player at 15 via Atlanta. Suck on that, Fin-Doggy!!

Really? You think I haven't been monitoring this board? You guys were calling your team finished LONG before Dirk went down. Should I bring up the game thread where your team was 25 down to the Kobe-less Lakers? Your posts, in particular were quite pathetic.

It has nothing to do with Dirk's recent injuries. You guys FOLDED just as quickly as your team does.

LMAO! Your owner goes out and mortgages the future for pass-first point guard with leadership capabilities when he already let STEVE NASH walk away for half the price of Jason Kidd! Has there ever been a bigger blunder?

Right. Only the Suns have beaten Boston, San Antonio and Houston since Shaq arrived and Dallas can't even beat the bad teams anymore.

Laugh all you want, but I claimed that Avery over-managed a long time ago, and as soon as Simmons dubbed him the "over-coacher", YOU and your buddies all jumped on the "avery over-coaches" bandwagon. IVE SEEN the game threads!

That must have been another obnoxious fan base last summer who was claiming what a great coach he was.

You provide me the comic amusement as well. I loved your recent anti-Suns posts that have come out of nowhere. You know, how you can "handle" anyone winning it except the Suns. Or how the Mavs arent winning it but neither are the Suns and thats all you care about. Or how you start threads calling Amare dumb.

Im glad to see my team causes you so much anguish.

Hey Findog...if the Suns win the championship, promise me you won't shoot yourself. Im sure you'll respond with "they won't", but just promise me you'll remember that its just a game and its suppose to be fun when Nash holds up that trophy and the Mavs look even worse (if thats possible).
fail

da_suns_fan
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Im taking another leave of absence from this board.

Keep your chin up Mavs fans...and stop creating threads about how much your team sucks! No one CARES!!!

DSF out!

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
is that what you called getting banned?

Findog
03-31-2008, 03:04 PM

Yeah, posting a winning record with Kidd and losing close games to elite teams, just like Phoenix! Yeah, that's a real "implosion."

lol, if you don't sell the pick. Cheap-ass Sarver.

There's no way Dallas is going to win four straight series without HCA. They needed to get a top four seed to do major damage in the playoffs. That homestand killed any chance that Dallas would get a good seed.

My team isn't doing anything with its coach holding them back. He played Kidd 27 minutes against the Lakers. He pulled him for the final play against San Antonio. He played Dampier 12 minutes last night when Damp has demonstrated he can be effective against the Warriors. The Mavs showed heart by rallying to almost overtake the Lakers. Most, but not all of their problems start with the guy barking on the sidelines. Next year we'll be back in contention if Cuban has the common sense to get a real head coach.You should know something about shitty coaching -- you think the Suns are coming out of the West with D'Antoni riding his top 6 guys for 40+ minutes a game all year long?

Why was letting Nash go such a mistake? I don't get it. He can't play defense, he broke down every year in the playoffs and got outplayed by Tony Parker (how has that worked out for you, btw?) and we got a big who can guard the paint with his salary slot. We got better without him and went further without him. It would've been nice if he had signed with an Eastern team instead of strengthening a fellow conference team, but how is that a mistake? Can you explain that again without slobbing Nash's cock and overrating him?

Pierce/Allen shoot 3-23. San Antonio was in the midst of losing 6 of 7 and playing their worst ball of the year and Houston didn't have Yao Ming. What bad teams has Dallas lost to? Because if you knew what you were talking about, the Mavs have killed the crap teams and lost nailbiters to the elite ones. Why are you on here talking shit after your team just failed its biggest test of the season? Losing to the Pistons in Detroit without Rip and then whining like little bitches about the officiating? And then not being able to guard an empty gym against the Celtics? You may have traded for Shaq, but it looks like the same old Suns to me.

Laugh all you want, but I claimed that Avery over-managed a long time ago

and as soon as Simmons dubbed him the "over-coacher", YOU and your buddies all jumped on the "avery over-coaches" bandwagon. IVE SEEN the game threads

Yeah, we take our cue from the Sports Douche. The same guy who called the Suns "historically good" and said they were approaching "hallowed ground"? :lmao

Whatever you say.

Oh, with all of his faults, he's still a better coach than D'Antoni. Maybe you confused that with us somehow defending Avery after he was worked over by Nellie and Riley.

You provide me the comic amusement as well. I loved your recent anti-Suns posts that have come out of nowhere. You know, how you can "handle" anyone winning it except the Suns. Or how the Mavs are winning it but neither are the Suns and thats all you care about. Or how you start threads calling Amare dumb.

Well, Amare is dumb, is he not? Shaq, D'Antoni are asses, are they not? You are the epitome of the Suns fanbase, and not Jmark, ODM and Xylus, are you not?

Hey Findog...if the Suns win the championship, promise me you won't shoot yourself. Im sure you'll respond with "they won't", but just promise me you'll remember that its just a game and its suppose to be fun if Nash holds up that trophy and the Mavs look even worse (if thats possible)

Why would I worry over a hypothetical scenario? Even if you somehow manage to avoid New Orleans, Utah, San Antonio and LA and make it to the Finals, you won't beat Detroit or Boston.

Findog
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm getting owned and trying to cover up my insecurity over my team failing its big test against Boston and Detroit

DSF out!

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Bass could possibly be the most one-dimensional player in the league. He is part of why this team is so bad. Taking out Dampier and putting Bass is fucking horrible for this team. I would take Malik Allen over Bass as backup power forward. He at least has some understanding that basketball isn't all about scoring.

stretch
03-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Schroeder, Marinovich, Evans, Beuerlein, Hilger, Hostetler, George, Hollas, Collins, Tuiasosopo, Brooks, Walters, McCown, Culpepper

Yeah, really.

I left out Wilson and Gannon because they actually did something.

What would you say was worse? Enduring the yearly faliures of guys like Andrew Walter, Kerry Collins, etc... or the 2 years of Bill Callahan, and watching this team go from and elite superbowl contender, to an underachieving pile of garbage, and seeing us lose the superbowl because he was stupid enough to keep the same playcalls from previous years under Jon Gruden?

Oh, and you forgot Rick Mirer, lol

Yea, its been a tough few years as a Raiders fan... I think it was a lot more frustrating to see their fall due to piss-poor coaching under Callahan, considering how much talent they still had (oh, and then another 2 years before that, of getting cheated out of consecutive SBs with the bullshit "tuck" game, and then Siragusa's BS cheapshot at Gannon. But I think they are about to come back to life. They have a good amount of talent, especially on D... it all depends on Russell. If he pans out, they could have a hell of a team here soon.

Anyways, being able to remain faithful to the Raiders, you have my respect as a fan. If you can gut it out through crap like they have been through the past decade or so, then you gotta be a damn good fan. I know its been tough for me... but I'm happy to see them finally getting some good talent in there again.

ElNono
03-31-2008, 04:41 PM

Keep your chin up Mavs fans...and stop creating threads about how much your team sucks! No one CARES!!!

DSF out!

Feel free to come back when we kick you out of the Playoffs, *again*

Findog
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Feel free to come back when we kick you out of the Playoffs, *again*

The Phoenix Suns: Where bringing Mavs and Spurs fans together happens.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM

A) Lakers
B) Spurs
C) Jazz
D) Hornets
E) Pistons
F) Celtics

lol, the Suns.

Excellent Post

ElNono
03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
The Phoenix Suns: Where bringing Mavs and Spurs fans together happens.

I still disagree with your assessment of Dirk, but well, we can all have our opinions. What bothers me is that the thread gets derailed out of topic when we were just having a normal conversation.
It's especially bothersome when a Phoenix fan who made a disappearing act as soon as his team was sucking reappears to talk trash.

Not that they won jackshit yet.

Anyways. What's your take on Cubes? Do you see him going the cheap way and trying to offload as much as he cans? or do you see him overpaying again to get some supporting cast for Dirk and Kidd?

The Nba Is Rigged
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
This Whole Franchise Sucks imo. Let me breakdown my opinion of some of the main people in this franchise.

Mark Cuban- A moron who disses David Stern, Disses refs, and runs his mouth every fucking time. Then the moron wonders why Wade was able to shoot 97 freethrows in 6 games in the finals while Dirk was getting beat up by Shaq and Haslem with no call. Wtf did cuban expect?! This fool let Nash go for free, Traded Devin Harris, overpaid for J-kidd, and watched as the team Nellie and Donnie built was ruined by Avery. Because of this fool we can never get any calls.

Donnie Nelson- He was shining while Nellie was here but now that nellie has left this team is full of washed up "VETERAN DEFENDERS". I still give him credit for wat he has done in the past, I'll be expecting some good stuff from him in the offseason.

AVERY FUCKIN JOHNSON- This moron was basically given the reins to a fuckin championship team and still found ways to fuck it up. The moron tried to turn Dirk into a shitty version of Tim Duncan. He got rid of both Marquis Daniels and Adrian Griffin at the same time then replaced them with useless fools. He overcoaches in almost every fucking game. His rotations are horrible. Outcoached by Riley and Nellie. He didn't allow Devin to grow while he was here. The list just goes on with AVERY FUCKIN JOHNSON.

Dirk Nowitzki- This dude needs to fuckin step up and tell Cuban to sit his ass down during games and he also needs to DEMAND that Avery Johnson be fired.

Jason Kidd- This Motherfucker just needs to learn how to fuckin shoot.

Josh Howard- Just trade his ass already

All of this is coming from a die hard mavs fan that just wants to see these guys win a fucking ring already

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
What would you say was worse? Enduring the yearly faliures of guys like Andrew Walter, Kerry Collins, etc... or the 2 years of Bill Callahan, and watching this team go from and elite superbowl contender, to an underachieving pile of garbage, and seeing us lose the superbowl because he was stupid enough to keep the same playcalls from previous years under Jon Gruden?

Oh, and you forgot Rick Mirer, lol

Yea, its been a tough few years as a Raiders fan... I think it was a lot more frustrating to see their fall due to piss-poor coaching under Callahan, considering how much talent they still had (oh, and then another 2 years before that, of getting cheated out of consecutive SBs with the bullshit "tuck" game, and then Siragusa's BS cheapshot at Gannon. But I think they are about to come back to life. They have a good amount of talent, especially on D... it all depends on Russell. If he pans out, they could have a hell of a team here soon.

Anyways, being able to remain faithful to the Raiders, you have my respect as a fan. If you can gut it out through crap like they have been through the past decade or so, then you gotta be a damn good fan. I know its been tough for me... but I'm happy to see them finally getting some good talent in there again.

I actually thought we would survive with Collins, that was until he has something like 9 fumbles in 2 games and broke a finger or something along those lines. He totally turned into Kurt Warner without the MVP part.

Callahan was a complete joke. I got more satisfaction from beating Neb 2 in a row because he was there.

Ryan coached at OSU, at was actually one of or better defenses in recorded history with a bunch of no names. His D is great, now if we could just buy some O. Signing Rhodes was a complete joke.

But, then again, I'm just looking it all up on some football page, right mono?

Power to the Raider Nation!

P.S. mono - I have a Moss throwback I'll sell you cheap since he is such an upstanding citizen in NE.

MajorMike
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
This Whole Franchise Sucks imo. Let me breakdown my opinion of some of the main people in this franchise.

Mark Cuban- A moron who disses David Stern, Disses refs, and runs his mouth every fucking time. Then the moron wonders why Wade was able to shoot 97 freethrows in 6 games in the finals while Dirk was getting beat up by Shaq and Haslem with no call. Wtf did cuban expect?! This fool let Nash go for free, Traded Devin Harris, overpaid for J-kidd, and watched as the team Nellie and Donnie built was ruined by Avery. Because of this fool we can never get any calls.

Donnie Nelson- He was shining while Nellie was here but now that nellie has left this team is full of washed up "VETERAN DEFENDERS". I still give him credit for wat he has done in the past, I'll be expecting some good stuff from him in the offseason.

AVERY FUCKIN JOHNSON- This moron was basically given the reins to a fuckin championship team and still found ways to fuck it up. The moron tried to turn Dirk into a shitty version of Tim Duncan. He got rid of both Marquis Daniels and Adrian Griffin at the same time then replaced them with useless fools. He overcoaches in almost every fucking game. His rotations are horrible. Outcoached by Riley and Nellie. He didn't allow Devin to grow while he was here. The list just goes on with AVERY FUCKIN JOHNSON.

Dirk Nowitzki- This dude needs to fuckin step up and tell Cuban to sit his ass down during games and he also needs to DEMAND that Avery Johnson be fired.

Jason Kidd- This Motherfucker just needs to learn how to fuckin shoot.

Josh Howard- Just trade his ass already

All of this is coming from a die hard mavs fan that just wants to see these guys win a fucking ring already

You are right, Fin, this is a positive thread for mavs fans. My bad, I'll exit now.

Findog
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
You are right, Fin, this is a positive thread for mavs fans. My bad, I'll exit now.

Right, because I have control over what other posters have to say. It was created with positive intentions.

Findog
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
It's especially bothersome when a Phoenix fan who made a disappearing act as soon as his team was sucking reappears to talk trash.

And reappears after they beat New Jersey and Philly. Like they didn't fail when it mattered against Detroit and Boston.

Anyways. What's your take on Cubes? Do you see him going the cheap way and trying to offload as much as he cans? or do you see him overpaying again to get some supporting cast for Dirk and Kidd?

Whether it's business, HDNet, Dancing with the stars, or the Mavericks, he doesn't like to lose, and I'm sure he won't be happy about being in the luxury tax and the lottery at the same time. It's true that Dirk's injury is what is most responsible for them being lottery-bound, and it's a testament to the depth and excellence of the West that they're not a lock to make the playoffs, but this team HAS underachieved. My guess is that Avery will be fired/resign, or some sort of mutual buyout/parting will take place, and they'll give this thing one more shot. Whether that's a FA acquisition or a trade, they're going to try one more time with the pairing of Dirk and Kidd and some other piece to be added this summer. As much as they've struggled, they're not that far from a return to the contention of the past three years. 45-28 is not chopped liver, especially with your franchise guy being out for the stretch run, and most of these games with Kidd against the other elite teams went down to the wire. They can beat good teams, they just don't.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
All I posted was my opinion of this franchise, I'm not going to sit here and lie to myself that we are world beaters just because some of you guys want to see a "positive" post. I understand you want to be positive but you have to be realistic also.

Dex
03-31-2008, 07:46 PM
This thread is fun.

Findog
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm wary of adding him because he's a ballhog and the Wizards got better by playing as a team without him, but what about Gilbert Arenas in a S-n-T? He would absolutely solve our problems at SG:

From ESPN.COM

LOS ANGELES -- Gilbert Arenas never follows convention, so did you really expect him to take an orthodox approach to his upcoming free agency? Sunday night, Arenas fired the opening shot in negotiations with the Washington Wizards … by offering to take a pay cut.

The premise put to him was that it would be hard to expect the Wizards to re-sign Arenas and fellow free agent Antawn Jamison while keeping to their stated goal of staying below the NBA's luxury tax threshold.

"Just sign Antawn first and then I'll take the pay cut, to keep the team intact," Arenas said.

Later, Arenas implied he would also be willing to take a lower salary to play for a contending team.

"Going to a team like the Lakers, Dallas, any championship team, I'd have to take a pay cut to go there," Arenas said. "The pay cut is, if I leave I have to take a pay cut, if Antawn comes back, I'd have to take a pay cut."

Kidd's ultimate value is that guys like to play with him, just like Nash, and we might be able to get a proven guy who wants to play with him and sees himself as the missing piece to lifting Dallas back to the elite level.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:25 PM
But, then again, I'm just looking it all up on some football page, right mono?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:25 PM
can someone really claim to be looking things up when they haven't provided one shred of evidence that would naturally be found on, uh, some football page?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm wary of adding him because he's a ballhog and the Wizards got better by playing as a team without him, but what about Gilbert Arenas in a S-n-T? He would absolutely solve our problems at SG:

Kidd's ultimate value is that guys like to play with him, just like Nash, and we might be able to get a proven guy who wants to play with him and sees himself as the missing piece to lifting Dallas back to the elite level.
A year ago I'd rather die than see Arenas in a Dallas uniform. At this point - what the hell, why not. Bring Arenas aboard if he wants to come here. I'd do a Howard/Terry for Arenas trade.

Maybe we can strike gold with the Boston approach of bludgeoning people to death with as many big name players as possible.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Go Thuggets

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Sooooo we have

Howard/Terry for Arenas
Dampier for Curry
draft Kevin Love

what else?

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
maybe get Pietrus with the MLE? Is that enough?

That would give us a lineup of -

PG - Kidd
SG - Arenas
SF - Pietrus
PF - Nowitzki
C - Curry

bench:
Bass
Love
Wright
Stackhouse
Allen
etc.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Sooooo we have

Howard/Terry for Arenas
Dampier for Curry
draft Kevin Love

what else?
Just say no to Curry.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
that lineup will score some effing points, that's for sure.

not so great on defense but I think they can be coached up to a certain extent.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Just say no to Curry.
then don't bitch about not having a post player.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
then don't bitch about not having a post player.
I haven't. Defense and rebounding is the most important things for a center. Especially help defense.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't.
Most mavs fans are though, yet I doubt any of them would do that trade.

They want it both ways. But you have to give up something to get something.

If you want a post scorer, Eddy Curry is right there for the taking. Mavs fans really can't bitch about not having a post player if they're not willing to trade for one of the premier post players in the league.

mavs>spurs2
03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd love to have Eddy Curry. We've remodeled this team several times over the years all while trying to win without a post scorer and it hasn't worked. If the old way doesn't work then it's time to try something new, and i'd give up a little defense in exchange for a good inside scorer. It's not like Dampier was some great defender anyway.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
I'd love to have Eddy Curry. We've remodeled this team several times over the years all while trying to win without a post scorer and it hasn't worked. If the old way doesn't work then it's time to try something new, and i'd give up a little defense in exchange for a good inside scorer. It's not like Dampier was some great defender anyway.
This team would be even worse with that trade. Dampier is our only good defender left on this team. Diop and Harris were both solid defenders. Now they're gone and no surprise we struggle because of our defense.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah Mavs fans will keep making excuses for Damp, but the guy just isn't that important. They can say whatever about setting screens, but any asshole can set a screen or grab rebounds.

He's been more valuable since the Kidd trade, but his play has still been uneven. He shows up huge in one game but is almost invisible others.

I'd do Damp for Curry in an instant.

It's possible to teach Curry to hustle and improve his conditioning. It's not possible to teach Dampier how to play in the post.

monosylab1k
03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Now they're gone and no surprise we struggle because of our defense.
Statistically we've been better defensively since the trade, thank you very much.

Offense is the problem now.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Statistically we've been better defensively since the trade, thank you very much.

Offense is the problem now.
Yes without Dirk we do have problems offensively. Thank you very much.