View Full Version : Jefferson blames Billups for season-ending injury

ducks
01-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Jefferson blames Billups for season-ending injury

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
January 12, 2005

AP - Jan 11, 3:56 pm EST
More Photos

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- As Chauncey Billups remembers it, there was nothing malicious about the play that left New Jersey Nets forward Richard Jefferson with a season-ending wrist injury.

Jefferson will be sidelined until mid-May with a ruptured ligament in his left wrist. The injury occurred Dec. 27 during the Nets' game against Billups and the Pistons at Detroit. The guard undercut Jefferson on a layup attempt and he fell on his wrist.

Billups was called for a flagrant foul. Jefferson, the Nets' leading scorer, called the play dirty.

``You can look at the play, I remember it vividly,'' Billups said after the Pistons beat the Nets 89-80 on Tuesday night. ``I was running down, I couldn't stop. We were both sprinting. I couldn't stop. I felt like when he got the ball he jumped back into me. Everybody knows I don't play like that.''

Billups noted he has gotten only one or two flagrant fouls in his seven years in the league.

Surgery is expected within the next two weeks, Nets president Rod Thorn said, adding that Jefferson probably won't play until next season.

Jefferson said he didn't complain about the play when it happened, and he's not complaining about it now.

ADVERTISEMENT

``I wouldn't say it was a cheap shot,'' he said. ``I don't think it was retaliation. I don't feel it was a cheap shot. Was it a bad play? Was it a dirty play? Yes. Is Chauncey Billups a dirty player? By no means, I don't think so.

``But look what happened from that play,'' said the 24-year-old Jefferson, who had only missed five games in three-plus seasons.

Jefferson held out hope that he would be ready for the postseason if Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and company found a way to get that far without him.

The loss of Jefferson is the latest problem for the Nets (12-22) in a season where little has gone right for the three-time defending Atlantic Division champions.

All-Star forward Kenyon Martin, a restricted free agent, was signed and traded to Denver because the Nets could not afford to match the Nuggets' offer. Kerry Kittles was traded to the Clippers and fellow guard Lucious Harris was waived. Then, perennial All-Star point guard Jason Kidd missed the first month of the season after knee surgery.

The Nets seemed to rebound last month when Carter was acquired from Toronto in a deal that gave New Jersey an outstanding 1-2-3 combination with Kidd and Jefferson.

Now Jefferson is gone along with his team-high averages of 22.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 41.1 minutes.

``This is a tough blow,'' Thorn said. ``Richard, in my mind, he's an All-Star player this year. You could depend on him as a guy who has played great for us. He's a guy who plays hurt and cares about his teammates.''

Jefferson was averaging 23.5 points before being hurt. He averaged just 17 points in the seven games after the injury.

The burden to carry the team will fall on Carter and Kidd.

``He's been playing well, having an All-Star season, and now we're going to have to come together as a group and find a way to get it done,'' said Carter, who played his first Nets' game on the night Jefferson was hurt.

Kidd said the Nets have overcome injuries before.

``Nobody is irreplaceable, unless it's Shaq or Michael Jordan, and unfortunately we have neither,'' Kidd said.

Despite playing a bad game, the Pistons had little trouble beating New Jersey on Tuesday night. Jefferson watched the game on the bench, dressed all in black.

Carter had 19 points and Kidd 13 as the Nets lost for the fourth time in five games.