PDA

View Full Version : This is the Best the Western Conference ever looked

carib
03-23-2008, 08:32 PM
There are 9 teams that can win it all and there are no favorite or under dog. The margin between the number eight seed and the number one seed are just 5.5 games with less than 13 games remaining. What is so special about this year post season is that the 8 seed can beat the number one seed in a seven game series, not saying that it would happen but they stand a good chance.

Dex
03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
There are 9 teams that can win it all and there are no favorite or under dog. The margin between the number eight seed and the number one seed are just 5.5 games with less than 13 games remaining. What is so special about this year post season is that the 8 seed can beat the number one seed in a seven game series, not saying that it would happen but they stand a good chance.

You'd have to be pretty lame to be a 1-seed getting outed by an 8-seed.

:stirpot:

Allanon
03-23-2008, 08:42 PM
It depends on who that #8 seed is. Let's say if the Lakers remain #1 and #8 looks like it's going to be changing. If Mavericks, Hornets, Suns or Spurs end up as the #8 seed, they all have a decent chance of beating the #1 Lakers.

If #8 stays at Warriors, Denver or Houston drops they have no chance against the Lakers.

#1 vs #8 kind of favors the #1 seed since it will probably be Warriors or Nugz.

The very hard no favorite matchups will be ALL of the other seeds...this is why the #1 seed is important this year aside from HCA, you get Warriors or Nugz, a step below the other elite teams.

Xylus
03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't think all 9 teams have the capacity to "win it all," but they all certainly have the capacity to oust even the best teams in the West. Good luck winning 4 straight series on the road, though, especially against Boston/Detroit.

efrem1
03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Hard to believe that a team could win 50 games in this conference and still head for the lottery.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-23-2008, 08:51 PM
The irony is that the Western playoffs are going to be such a bloodbath that the eventual winner may be so exhausted that the Celtics (I'm picking them to beat the Cavs and Pistons in the East) will take them out. Note that the Celtics have a better record against the West than the East, and have beaten all the West's good teams except the Hornets and Suns.

Or you can go with the theory that the winner of the West will be the strongest and least injured team left at the end of the bloodbath, and will thus be able to take out the Celts.

Either way, the playoffs this year are going to be incredible.

bigfundamental21
03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
The irony is that the Western playoffs are going to be such a bloodbath that the eventual winner may be so exhausted that the Celtics (I'm picking them to beat the Cavs and Pistons in the East) will take them out. Note that the Celtics have a better record against the West than the East, and have beaten all the West's good teams except the Hornets and Suns.

Or you can go with the theory that the winner of the West will be the strongest and least injured team left at the end of the bloodbath, and will thus be able to take out the Celts.

Well said RuffnReady. The West playoffs are gonna be awesome. I expect many series to go the distance. I just hope that the latter of your outcomes is correct.

BonnerDynasty
03-23-2008, 11:40 PM
I think Boston wins no matter who comes out of West.

honestfool84
03-24-2008, 12:41 AM

talk about a record that's been played one too many times?
or simply put, yeah, we get the point.
the WC has talent.

Guajalote
03-24-2008, 01:23 AM
If/when we win the title, are you getting the sinking suspicion that this is shaping up to be one of those "*" years? You know the ones where all TROLLS (and not the articulate posters by the way) of the "also-rans" start finding excuses as to why the Spurs were given the title, stole the title, or for some reason don't deserve the title.

I'll just save the TROLLS the time and list as many excuses as I can right now.

"The Spurs are lucky because...

Lakers had Bynum and Gasol out."
Dallas had Nowitzki hurt."
Houston had Yao hurt."
Phoenix ruined their chemistry/didn't have time to come together."
Hornets were too inexperienced."

Spurs fans, feel free to add your own. It'll be quite therapeutic.

honestfool84
03-24-2008, 01:49 AM

nah, id rather just add another championship. :D

Chris Duel
03-24-2008, 01:53 AM
Who has the hardcore Playoff experience?

Uh... Los Spurs!

In the words of President Bush, "Bring 'em on!"

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Who has the hardcore Playoff experience?

Uh... Los Spurs!

In the words of President Bush, "Bring 'em on!"

That, Mr Duel, is why I never give up on the Spurs. They have been there before, they play the right style to succeed in the playoffs, and they are ALWAYS a chance in the post-season as long as the Big 4 aren't injured.

I don't think they are favourites this year, and the West is as tough as it's ever been, but you never count the Spurs out until they are actually gone.

Guajalote - any fool who tries to put an asterisk on a season with a 50-win team missing out on a playoff berth in the West, and 7-10 legit contenders for the title, is so much of a moron that I wouldn't even bother discussing the price of beans with them! However, I know what you mean! :lol

gospursgojas
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Stating the obvious, like a month late thread

J.T.
03-24-2008, 03:02 AM
The Celtics will shit their pants in the Finals just like Lebron did last year.

gilmor
03-24-2008, 04:46 AM
The Celtics will shit their pants in the Finals just like Lebron did last year.

Are you kidding yourself? With a clutch player like Sam Cassell thrown in the mix of 3 all-stars.. they could win it all man..

Guajalote
03-24-2008, 06:19 AM
That, Mr Duel, is why I never give up on the Spurs. They have been there before, they play the right style to succeed in the playoffs, and they are ALWAYS a chance in the post-season as long as the Big 4 aren't injured.

I don't think they are favourites this year, and the West is as tough as it's ever been, but you never count the Spurs out until they are actually gone.

Guajalote - any fool who tries to put an asterisk on a season with a 50-win team missing out on a playoff berth in the West, and 7-10 legit contenders for the title, is so much of a moron that I wouldn't even bother discussing the price of beans with them! However, I know what you mean! :lol

Only a fellow Spurs fan could understand. As you said... always under the radar, always the right style, and the best 4 times in this generation. Go Spurs! :king

carib
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
I am a believer that Golden State can beat the Lakers in seven. Golden State is going to be that team to beat a top seeded team in the playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Ar2bkN8VzzoxnR_6P14B4.u8vLYF?gid=200803 2313&prov=ap

SAGambler
03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think all 9 teams have the capacity to "win it all," but they all certainly have the capacity to oust even the best teams in the West. Good luck winning 4 straight series on the road, though, especially against Boston/Detroit.

I think without Yao, Houstons chances probably have to be slim to none, and slim is packing his bags.

baseline bum
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Kind of a reversal of the 1980s where the Lakers had a free ticket to the Finals every year against whoever came out of the Celtics/76ers/Pistons/Bulls/Bucks dogfights.

Sec24Row7
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
The reason the west is so crammed isn't because the teams are so good... It's because there are so many teams playing slightly above mediocre basketball...

DazedAndConfused
03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I am a believer that Golden State can beat the Lakers in seven. Golden State is going to be that team to beat a top seeded team in the playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Ar2bkN8VzzoxnR_6P14B4.u8vLYF?gid=200803 2313&prov=ap

Why do you believe that?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
As great as the West is and as crappy as the East is I'd still say that Boston and Detroit could battle for the top spot in either conference. 1-2 in the East = 1-8 in the West. There are probably 11 teams with a legitimate chance at the title this year which makes it fun.

ECZ
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
If/when we win the title, are you getting the sinking suspicion that this is shaping up to be one of those "*" years? You know the ones where all TROLLS (and not the articulate posters by the way) of the "also-rans" start finding excuses as to why the Spurs were given the title, stole the title, or for some reason don't deserve the title.

I'll just save the TROLLS the time and list as many excuses as I can right now.

"The Spurs are lucky because...

Lakers had Bynum and Gasol out."
Dallas had Nowitzki hurt."
Houston had Yao hurt."
Phoenix ruined their chemistry/didn't have time to come together."
Hornets were too inexperienced."

*adds to the list*

Dallas traded away too many players and weren't deep enough
Bynum wasnt in tip-top conditioning during the play-offs
Kobe's left pinky was/is broken
The refs let the Spurs flop too much

101A
03-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think all 9 teams have the capacity to "win it all," but they all certainly have the capacity to oust even the best teams in the West. Good luck winning 4 straight series on the road, though, especially against Boston/Detroit.The Spurs have not lost a ROAD playoff series since 2002.

Xylus
03-24-2008, 03:55 PM
The Spurs have not lost a ROAD playoff series since 2002.
I was referring to teams like Denver, Golden State, Houston, Dallas, etc., teams who have the capability of beating teams like LA, New Orleans, Utah, Phoenix, and San Antonio, but will not likely win 4 straight road series.

Even then, I don't think any of those latter 5 teams could win 4 straight series on the road. Not even the immaculate Spurs.

carib
03-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I say 9 teams in the west win more than 50 games and there are 2 upsets in the first round.

T Park
03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Three way tie for second in the western conference.

Spurs
Lakers
Rockets all at 49-23.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
We may get to see yet another Spurs-Nuggets first round :smokin :lol

DazedAndConfused
03-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Nuggets will knock the Spurs out if they play. With Nene coming back they have perhaps the best personell in the league in Nene/Camby/Martin to completely throw Duncan off his game.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Nuggets will knock the Spurs out if they play. With Nene coming back they have perhaps the best personell in the league in Nene/Camby/Martin to completely throw Duncan off his game.

People have been saying that every year since 2005.

The Nuggets are too effing dumb to beat the Spurs in a 7 game series.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-27-2008, 01:58 AM
If the Nuggets were to beat the Spurs in 7, it will be coz of JR smith and not the big men :lol

Phenomanul
03-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Three way tie for second in the western conference.

Spurs
Lakers
Rockets all at 49-23.

Aren't the Lakers on top as far (as seeding is concerned) because they have a better Conference record?

San Antonio must win their upcoming games against Houston (to tie the series at 2:2) and against LA (to win the series 3:1).

T Park
03-27-2008, 08:01 AM

Yeah because the Nuggets are such a mentally stable team and come through in the clutch.

More genius takes from the troll.

DaDakota
03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, without Yao we are not really a contender.

Maybe for the 2nd round etc, but I don't see us beating most of the teams in the WC, especially those with a solid post player.

DD

Jimcs50
03-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Conf Rank
Rk Team GB
1 Hornets* -
2 Lakers* 1.0
3 Rockets 1.0
4 Jazz* 3.0
5 Spurs 1.0
6 Suns 2.5
7 Mavericks 4.5
8 Warriors 6.0
9 Nuggets 6.5
10 Trail Blazers 12.0
11 Kings 17.5
12 Clippers 28.5
13 Timberwolves 31.0
14 Grizzlies 31.5
15 SuperSonics 33.0

x = Clinched Playoffs
y = Clinched Division
z = Clinched Conference
* = Division Leader

This is unbelievable really. Never before has there been 4-5 teams with a great chance of securing HCA throughout the Western Conf playoffs with only 12 games left. It is usually just 1 or 2 teams, maybe 3 that are still in it by this time of year. Even Utal, who are 3 games back can snag it if they sweep the rest of their schedule and get a little help from New Orleans.

Say what you will, but I want the Spurs to get the #1 seed. I mean what fan would not want game 7 to be at the A T & T center against one of these very good teams that will be in the playoffs? I think SA needs to go 9-2 down the stretch including a win at LA in order to do that.

carib
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Dallas might end up in the 9th seed after they lost to the Nuggets and if they keep up this type of playing they might not make the playoffs.

DazedAndConfused
03-27-2008, 10:49 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, without Yao we are not really a contender.

Maybe for the 2nd round etc, but I don't see us beating most of the teams in the WC, especially those with a solid post player.

DD

Don't worry nobody thinks the Rockets are contenders either.

ClingingMars
03-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Conf Rank
Rk Team GB
1 Hornets* -
2 Lakers* 1.0
3 Rockets 1.0
4 Jazz* 3.0
5 Spurs 1.0
6 Suns 2.5
7 Mavericks 4.5
8 Warriors 6.0
9 Nuggets 6.5
10 Trail Blazers 12.0
11 Kings 17.5
12 Clippers 28.5
13 Timberwolves 31.0
14 Grizzlies 31.5
15 SuperSonics 33.0

x = Clinched Playoffs
y = Clinched Division
z = Clinched Conference
* = Division Leader

This is unbelievable really. Never before has there been 4-5 teams with a great chance of securing HCA throughout the Western Conf playoffs with only 12 games left. It is usually just 1 or 2 teams, maybe 3 that are still in it by this time of year. Even Utal, who are 3 games back can snag it if they sweep the rest of their schedule and get a little help from New Orleans.

Say what you will, but I want the Spurs to get the #1 seed. I mean what fan would not want game 7 to be at the A T & T center against one of these very good teams that will be in the playoffs? I think SA needs to go 9-2 down the stretch including a win at LA in order to do that.

hell, no one's clenched a playoff berth yet period! not even the Lakers! that's unheard of.

-Mars

m33p0
03-28-2008, 06:29 AM
if it weren't for the knee-jerk reaction by the suns and the mavs to the lakers trade, the west would be even more nailbiting.

41times
03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I was referring to teams like Denver, Golden State, Houston, Dallas, etc., teams who have the capability of beating teams like LA, New Orleans, Utah, Phoenix, and San Antonio, but will not likely win 4 straight road series.

Even then, I don't think any of those latter 5 teams could win 4 straight series on the road. Not even the immaculate Spurs.

Keep in mind that the home court is decided by the record not the seeding. Therefore, it is very likely that Utah will finish 4th for winning their division and the 5th seed will probably have more wins than them and therefore get the Home court.

So a 5th seed could have home court in the first round. Then the winner of that series will play the winner of the 1 vs. 8 seed. If New Orleans is the 1 seed, their lack of playoff experience could really hurt them. It would not surprise me if they lost in the first round. If that were the case the 5th seed would then get Another home court against the 8th seed.

So while i agree with the premise that you can't win 4 straight road series, i don't think you necessarily would have to because I don't think that all favorites or higher seeds will win in the West.

carib
03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffmatchups

Western Conference
1 New Orleans Hornets New Orleans Hornets (49-22)

Games Remaining:
11 (4 Home, 7 Away)
vs
8 Golden State Warriors Golden State Warriors (44-27)

Games Remaining:
11 (5 Home, 6 Away)

Regular Season Series: Tied 1 - 1 Jan 4: New Orleans 116, at Golden State 104 Jan 30: Golden State 116, at New Orleans 103 Apr 6: Golden State at New Orleans
2 San Antonio Spurs San Antonio Spurs (50-23)

Games Remaining:
9 (5 Home, 4 Away)
vs
7 Dallas Mavericks Dallas Mavericks (45-27)

Games Remaining:
10 (4 Home, 6 Away)

Regular Season Series: San Antonio wins 3 - 1 Nov 15: at Dallas 105, San Antonio 92 Dec 5: at San Antonio 97, Dallas 95 Feb 28: at San Antonio 97, Dallas 94 Mar 23: San Antonio 88, at Dallas 81
3 Los Angeles Lakers Los Angeles Lakers (49-24)

Games Remaining:
9 (6 Home, 3 Away)
vs
6 Phoenix Suns Phoenix Suns (48-24)

Games Remaining:
10 (5 Home, 5 Away)

Regular Season Series: Los Angeles wins 3 - 1 Nov 2: Los Angeles 119, at Phoenix 98 Dec 25: at Los Angeles 122, Phoenix 115 Jan 17: Phoenix 106, at Los Angeles 98 Feb 20: Los Angeles 130, at Phoenix 124
4 Utah Jazz Utah Jazz (48-25)

Games Remaining:
9 (5 Home, 4 Away)
vs
5 Houston Rockets Houston Rockets (49-23)

Games Remaining:
10 (3 Home, 7 Away)

Regular Season Series: Tied 1 - 1 Nov 1: Houston 106, at Utah 95 Jan 27: Utah 97, at Houston 89 Apr 14: Houston at Utah
In the Hunt

Team GB
Denver Nuggets Denver Nuggets (44-28)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffmatchups

manufor3
03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
and now we're the first in the west to 50

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-29-2008, 10:16 AM
another huge game in the West tonight. Warriors @ Nuggets. Im hoping the Nuggets can play some D from the 1st minute, rather than waiting 24minutes before they show up :lol

Spurs vs Rockets will be another huge game tomorrow. I guess every game in the top 9 is huge in the West. I actually hope the Spurs end up 5th coz i dont want the Jazz to get the Rockets. That would be an easy 1st rd win for the Jazz.

manubili
03-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Any of the top teams in the west has a good excuse for not winning a ring:the western conference is a team destroyer. If the celts don't win it this year, they will be the REAL BIG TIME LOSERS. Pressure will be on their side.