PDA

View Full Version : Official Hope Dirk Is Out For The Season Thread

mavs>spurs2
03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Since we already have absolutely no chance of going anywhere regardless of Dirk's injury, I say we hit the lotto make our pick wisely and blow the team up, if not at least make some crucial moves. Mav fans, your thoughts?

JackArse
03-24-2008, 12:18 AM
gonna send AJ on some college scouting trips?

mystargtr34
03-24-2008, 12:19 AM
I think this could have gone in Findog's thread... but i would hope to make the playoffs ... its all doom and gloom now but i still think this team could do some damage

Roxsfan
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't think they will make the playoffs.....their schedule is tough and with no dirk :depressed

td4mvp21
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
It's going to be really weird if the Mavs don't make the playoffs.

himat
03-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Dude the Mavs are the only team to beat the Spurs in the last 3 years. If they get there act together they still have a shot.

KidCongo
03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Trade Dirk, build around Kidd

ludda
03-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Dude the Mavs are the only team to beat the Spurs in the last 3 years. If they get there act together they still have a shot.

That's a nice accomplishment and all, but they're also a team that's had two consecutive historic playoff collapses.

mavs>spurs2
03-24-2008, 12:30 AM
^ Fuck that, only the build around Kidd part. I'm not objective to trading a 7ft walking vagina who has only one offensive move (turnaround jumpshot) if we could get say a JOneal in return

mavsfan1000
03-24-2008, 12:34 AM
This team is done. Time to rebuild. I think Dirk is done to. He will be like Chris Webber after this injury.

Findog
03-24-2008, 12:34 AM
^ Fuck that, only the build around Kidd part. I'm not objective to trading a 7ft walking vagina who has only one offensive move (turnaround jumpshot) if we could get say a JOneal in return

Yes, let's trade a top-ten player for a guy whose knees are shot, makes $18 million a year and doesn't play on the 2nd of b2bs.

Findog
03-24-2008, 12:35 AM
This team is done. Time to rebuild. I think Dirk is done to. He will be like Chris Webber after this injury.

All speculation until the MRI results are known.

mystargtr34
03-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Jason Kidd is over rated... he cant shoot. Simple as that.... he just can not consistently put the ball in the basket... next season Devin Harris will be better than Jason Kidd

ludda
03-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Dirk for O'Neal? I hope the Mavs do something as idiotic as that!
I'd say either completely rebuild or see what they could get for Josh Howard package and give it one more shot (depending on the circumstances of course).

Findog
03-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Dirk for O'Neal? I hope the Mavs do something as idiotic as that!
I'd say either completely rebuild or see what they could get for Josh Howard package and give it one more shot (depending on the circumstances of course).

I'd like to get rid of Terry and Stack's contracts, but we'd have to give up Howard as well in order to get something back that is useful. We need a low-post scorer, and although I love Josh's game, it's easier to replace him than a low-post guy.

mavs>spurs2
03-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Yes, let's trade a top-ten player for a guy whose knees are shot, makes $18 million a year and doesn't play on the 2nd of b2bs.

Shit Findog, I know i over-exaggerated it's just im so sick and fucking tired of dealing with all bullshit that is Mavericks. And i disagree with Dirk being a top 10 player, maybe top 25 but only if he's playing next to another superstar and doesn't have to be "the man." Bottom line is Mavs aren't getting it done with Dirk as the undisputed leader of this team and we need a go to superstar even if that means giving up the worlds biggest vagina. Our window is closing as Kidd gets older and Josh doesn't seem to be getting any better..

ludda
03-24-2008, 01:37 AM
I'd like to get rid of Terry and Stack's contracts, but we'd have to give up Howard as well in order to get something back that is useful. We need a low-post scorer, and although I love Josh's game, it's easier to replace him than a low-post guy.

Josh Howard can get you guys something of value, a package around him might get a proven allstar 2nd option. To me, Howard is at best a 3rd option on a contending team. Great overall player, but cant take over games (seems non existant in crunchtime) or carry some of the load consistently.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-24-2008, 01:37 AM
This team is so the 2001 Lakers. Kobe sprains his ankle and soon after they get it going and win it all during a dramatic season. The same thing is set up for the Mavs. These guys are fucking champions and they know it.

The time is coming. The big run is going to be here. It's starting Tuesday and it's not stopping until late June when these guys are celebrating the championship. Dirk telling Avery "we did it" and Howard laughing up a storm in the locker room with the trophy kissing and hugging it. JET and Stack having tears of joy calling each other champions. Cuban lighting up a cigar in his Dallas Maverick 2008 NBA championship shirt. And Dirk standing right there on the stage holding the 2008 Finals MVP in his hand saying "a few months ago everyone thought we were done but here we are your 2008 NBA Champions the Dallas Mavericks!"

I am going to be the ones to tell EVERYBODY here that I told you so. Unless Dirks season is finished, the Mavs are still winning the 2008 Championship. This team is toooooo good to miss the postseason. Once they get in and everybody is healthy, no one is stopping us from accomplishing our goal which is the 2008 title! Remember you heard it here first! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

Findog
03-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Shit Findog, I know i over-exaggerated it's just im so sick and fucking tired of dealing with all bullshit that is Mavericks. And i disagree with Dirk being a top 10 player, maybe top 25 but only if he's playing next to another superstar and doesn't have to be "the man." Bottom line is Mavs aren't getting it done with Dirk as the undisputed leader of this team and we need a go to superstar even if that means giving up the worlds biggest vagina. Our window is closing as Kidd gets older and Josh doesn't seem to be getting any better..

Dirk is a top ten player easy. And he's not a "vagina." They don't come much tougher physically than Dirk. He plays on two permanently sprained ankles, he isn't afraid of contact, and he's willing to take the last shot for his team. He's done everything Avery has asked of him. He is the least of this team's problems.

I suppose an argument could be made that he's a "choker," since a choker is anybody who doesn't win 100% of his games, hits less than 100% from the field in the fourth quarter and hasn't won multiple championships, but the last thing I would do is question his heart, his toughness or his competitiveness.

I'm frustrated too, but it is what it is. It doesn't seem fair compared to the luck and fortune that other franchises have, but fair aint got nothing to do with it.

Findog
03-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Josh Howard can get you guys something of value, a package around him might get a proven allstar 2nd option. To me, Howard is at best a 3rd option on a contending team. Great overall player, but cant take over games (seems non existant in crunchtime) or carry some of the load consistently.

You have to give something to get something, and Josh is easily our most tradeable commodity, since he's young and his contract is pretty reasonable.

circ
03-24-2008, 05:06 AM
trade barry bonner damon finley jaque and horry for dirk?

DaDakota
03-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Come on, I hope he is back in a game or two...no need to go into tank mode, there is not a player in the 14-20 range that will turn around a franchise.

DD

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
there is not a player in the 14-20 range that will turn around a franchise.
If we get a lottery pick, 14 is the lowest we'd be. 11-14 is the range, and that could get a very serviceable player.

Sec24Row7
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
This team is so the 2001 Lakers. Kobe sprains his ankle and soon after they get it going and win it all during a dramatic season. The same thing is set up for the Mavs. These guys are fucking champions and they know it.

The time is coming. The big run is going to be here. It's starting Tuesday and it's not stopping until late June when these guys are celebrating the championship. Dirk telling Avery "we did it" and Howard laughing up a storm in the locker room with the trophy kissing and hugging it. JET and Stack having tears of joy calling each other champions. Cuban lighting up a cigar in his Dallas Maverick 2008 NBA championship shirt. And Dirk standing right there on the stage holding the 2008 Finals MVP in his hand saying "a few months ago everyone thought we were done but here we are your 2008 NBA Champions the Dallas Mavericks!"

I am going to be the ones to tell EVERYBODY here that I told you so. Unless Dirks season is finished, the Mavs are still winning the 2008 Championship. This team is toooooo good to miss the postseason. Once they get in and everybody is healthy, no one is stopping us from accomplishing our goal which is the 2008 title! Remember you heard it here first! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

Marijuana Thread.

stretch
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Dirk is a top ten player easy.
I believe he is top 5, with Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, and Paul.

DaDakota
03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
If we get a lottery pick, 14 is the lowest we'd be. 11-14 is the range, and that could get a very serviceable player.

Look at the history of players in that range, while you will find the occassional contributor, most are marginal players or busts.

DD

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 12:07 PM

"Oh, and KG. And Wade, forgot Wade. Geez, Nash, how could I not remember him? Then again, Howard is having an amazing year in Orlando. And Boozer is one of 5 guys averaging 20+/10+, so can't exclude him. Uh... did I say 5?"

mavs>spurs2
03-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Yea i'm thinking there's no way Dirk is top 5.

Kobe
Lebron
KG
Duncan
Paul
Nash
Boozer
DWilliams
Carmelo
Wade

Hell, Dirk isn't even top 10. Dirk belongs in the next tier with Amare, Kidd, Pierce, etc.

Findog
03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Dallas Mavericks forward and seven-time All Star Dirk Nowitzki, who left yesterday's game at the 3:18 mark of the third quarter, was re-evaluated today. An MRI confirmed he suffered a moderate high left ankle sprain and a mild left knee sprain. He is currently walking in a protective boot without crutches. No timetable is set for his return.

Whew! This season is done, but at least this isn't something catastrophic like Chris Webber blowing out his knee.

thispego
03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Dallas Mavericks forward and seven-time All Star Dirk Nowitzki, who left yesterday's game at the 3:18 mark of the third quarter, was re-evaluated today. An MRI confirmed he suffered a moderate high left ankle sprain and a mild left knee sprain. He is currently walking in a protective boot without crutches. No timetable is set for his return.

Whew! This season is done, but at least this isn't something catastrophic like Chris Webber blowing out his knee.
good news. looked alot worse.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Why are people including Dywane Wade in top-5 or top-10 discussion? I didn't know one-dimensional injury-prone players are deserving of that status. He's more focused on his commercials these days.

stretch
03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Yea i'm thinking there's no way Dirk is top 5.

Kobe
Lebron
KG
Duncan
Paul
Nash
Boozer
DWilliams
Carmelo
Wade

Hell, Dirk isn't even top 10. Dirk belongs in the next tier with Amare, Kidd, Pierce, etc.

No fucking way for KG, Nash, Boozer, Deron, Carmello, or Wade.

KG is the most overrated superstar in the NBA today BY FAR. Not even close to the level of Duncan or Dirk. Anyone who compares him is an idiot that just looks at his dunks and excessive screaming, thinking it actually means something, when he has never won shit.

Wade is completely out of the discussion as he is the leader of the worst team in the league. How the fuck can you let your team have the worst record in the NBA in THE EAST?!?!?!?!

Nash is nice, but no way am I building a team around him before Dirk. Keep in mind that Nash gets the majority of his plays and shots off of picks. Almost everything Dirk does is off of isolations, yet he still managed to average over 26 ppg. Thats pretty impressive.

Carmello hasnt won shit despite some immensly talented teams.

Boozer and Williams are two big stars that work hand in hand with each other. Dirk is doing everything as the sole star of his team.

Give me Dirk anyday over all of those guys. And imagine if Dirk had someone like Marcus Camby backing him up with Andre Miller/Allen Iverson running point? How about Deron Williams playing point, or Carlos Boozer helping cleaning up down low? Or perhaps a team full of 40% 3pt shooters to kick out to when you can't create something inside like Nash? Instead, he has the brainless wonders of Josh Howard and Jason Terry, who are talented players, that consistently do weird shit that leaves you scratching your head, wondering how an NBA player could make such a dumb mistake.

Simply replace Dirk with any of those players, and the Mavs struggle to make the playoffs, and no way in hell do they even sniff the Finals.

stretch
03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
"Oh, and KG. And Wade, forgot Wade. Geez, Nash, how could I not remember him? Then again, Howard is having an amazing year in Orlando. And Boozer is one of 5 guys averaging 20+/10+, so can't exclude him. Uh... did I say 5?"
KG - No
Wade - Hell no
Nash - No
Howard - No

mavs>spurs2
03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
No fucking way for KG, Nash, Boozer, Deron, Carmello, or Wade.

KG is the most overrated superstar in the NBA today BY FAR. Not even close to the level of Duncan or Dirk. Anyone who compares him is an idiot that just looks at his dunks and excessive screaming, thinking it actually means something, when he has never won shit.

Wade is completely out of the discussion as he is the leader of the worst team in the league. How the fuck can you let your team have the worst record in the NBA in THE EAST?!?!?!?!

Nash is nice, but no way am I building a team around him before Dirk. Keep in mind that Nash gets the majority of his plays and shots off of picks. Almost everything Dirk does is off of isolations, yet he still managed to average over 26 ppg. Thats pretty impressive.

Carmello hasnt won shit despite some immensly talented teams.

Boozer and Williams are two big stars that work hand in hand with each other. Dirk is doing everything as the sole star of his team.

Give me Dirk anyday over all of those guys. And imagine if Dirk had someone like Marcus Camby backing him up with Andre Miller/Allen Iverson running point? How about Deron Williams playing point, or Carlos Boozer helping cleaning up down low? Or perhaps a team full of 40% 3pt shooters to kick out to when you can't create something inside like Nash? Instead, he has the brainless wonders of Josh Howard and Jason Terry, who are talented players, that consistently do weird shit that leaves you scratching your head, wondering how an NBA player could make such a dumb mistake.

Simply replace Dirk with any of those players, and the Mavs struggle to make the playoffs, and no way in hell do they even sniff the Finals.

KG overrated? If anything the dude is underrated for wasting most of his career in Minnesota by being so loyal to that shitty franchise. The dude is deserving of 1st team all defensive every year he's been in the league, while averaging a consistant 20 and 10. Dirks and KG's offensive numbers are very comparable while defensively its not even close. Wade out of the question because of his team deciding to tank this season? Bullshit. Just 2 short years ago he single handedly led a team of washed up scrubs to a championship while making Dirk his bitch. And don't pull the Dirk is doing it all by himself card. He has plenty of talent backing him up.

mavsfan1000
03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
KG will win a ring this year so that will fix that. He is not overrated as he is plays great defense, rebounds, and shoots a good percentage from midrange. His only weakness is not being able to take over games but you couldn't ask for a better all-around player in the league.

Findog
03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Carmelo > Dirk?

Really?

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
The biggest thing the Mavs need is a "dirty work" guy. Everyone on our team is either too finesse or too lazy to do dirty work. Josh Howard was the one guy we could always count on for that, but apparently after being named an All-Star he thinks he's above doing dirty work now.

Findog
03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
The biggest thing the Mavs need is a "dirty work" guy. Everyone on our team is either too finesse or too lazy to do dirty work. Josh Howard was the one guy we could always count on for that, but apparently after being named an All-Star he thinks he's above doing dirty work now.

The guy in your avatar is an unrestricted FA this summer.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
The guy in your avatar is an unrestricted FA this summer.
He would be a great pickup. I hated losing him the first time around.

stretch
03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
KG overrated? If anything the dude is underrated for wasting most of his career in Minnesota by being so loyal to that shitty franchise. The dude is deserving of 1st team all defensive every year he's been in the league, while averaging a consistant 20 and 10. Dirks and KG's offensive numbers are very comparable while defensively its not even close. Wade out of the question because of his team deciding to tank this season? Bullshit. Just 2 short years ago he single handedly led a team of washed up scrubs to a championship while making Dirk his bitch. And don't pull the Dirk is doing it all by himself card. He has plenty of talent backing him up.
All KG does is shoot turnaround jumpers, and garbage work down low. Anyone who truly watches the guy sees that he does not have a very good offensive skillset. He has minimal post moves. His best move is a turnaround jumper. When it comes to garbage work, he is one of the best ive ever seen. But when it comes to taking over games, and making big plays, he doesn't do shit.

The Wade argument is full of shit too. And before the team started tanking, they were sucking ass as well. Talentwise, Wade is an incredible talent, no question.

and I did pull the Dirk is doing it by himself card. how the fuck can you even think about comparing Josh Howard and Jason Terry to guys like Carlos Boozer or Deron Williams, Allen Iverson, and Shaq? You are outside your motherfucking mind.

Just because you are pissed about the season not going the way we would have liked doesnt mean you have to bitch and moan about every thing humanly possible, especially Dirk who has been the SOLE bright spot for this season as everything has gone to shit around him. This season has truly helped myself, as well as many fans of other teams that I personally know, that hate the Mavericks, appreciate how good of a player that Dirk Nowitzki really is.

stretch
03-24-2008, 01:32 PM
KG will win a ring this year so that will fix that. He is not overrated as he is plays great defense, rebounds, and shoots a good percentage from midrange. His only weakness is not being able to take over games but you couldn't ask for a better all-around player in the league.
His "great" defense consistently gets him owned by guys like Dirk and Duncan. Dirk completely kicked his ass the other night against Boston. He outplayed him in every way, shape, and form. He was a killer on the boards, in scoring, and defended Garnett a HELL of a lot better than Garnett defended Dirk. The only good defensive play KG had on Dirk ALL GAME was a block early in the game. But when it was at the end of the game, Dirk had a block and a couple key stops on Garnett, only to have guys like Stack and Howard fuck things up by leaving Ray Allen wide open on numerous occasions.

And that ability to take over games is what sets all-stars apart from superstars. Dirk can take over a game. Garnett cannot, because he is a garbage type player.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Najera + lottery pick + s&t for Maggette + Del Harris at HC would make me very happy in the offseason. I'd be willing to not demand a complete blowup of the team.

stretch
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Najera + lottery pick + s&t for Maggette would make me very happy in the offseason. I'd be willing to not demand a complete blowup of the team.
man, if we could have Maggette and Kidd together, that would be nice.

Kidd
Maggette
Wright
Dirk
Dampier

That would be awesome. Kidd as the distributer, Maggette as the relentless slasher/driver, Wright as the hustler, Dirk as the leader, and if Damp plays the way he has been, I'm just fine with him.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 01:39 PM
man, if we could have Maggette and Kidd together, that would be nice.

Kidd
Maggette
Wright
Dirk
Dampier

That would be awesome. Kidd as the distributer, Maggette as the relentless slasher/driver, Wright as the hustler, Dirk as the leader, and if Damp plays the way he has been, I'm just fine with him.
It could be where Devean George & his faggot Bird rights are of some use. Would they take a Howard/George for Maggette deal?

The biggest problem with that lineup is that we get even worse shooting the ball, though.

td4mvp21
03-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Dirk isn't a top 5 player in the league but he's top 10.

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Why are people including Dywane Wade in top-5 or top-10 discussion? I didn't know one-dimensional injury-prone players are deserving of that status. He's more focused on his commercials these days.

Lol... what happened to Dirk in 2003 in the playoffs? What happened this year?

Then again... what happened to Dirk in the NBA Finals? What happened to Dirk in the 1st round last year?

Injury-prone and one-dimensional vs injury-prone and disappears in big games.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Lol... what happened to Dirk in 2003 in the playoffs? What happened this year?

Then again... what happened to Dirk in the NBA Finals? What happened to Dirk in the 1st round last year?

Injury-prone and one-dimensional vs injury-prone and disappears in big games.
go look at Dirk's career numbers.....he's anything but injury prone you ignorant fuck.

can someone please tell Oklahomo here to go post in the college forum and waste people's time over there gushing over his two-bit NIT team, instead of in here or the NFL Forum where he proves just what an uneducated Okie moron he is?

td4mvp21
03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
The problem with the Mavs is that they are a jumpshooting team with absolutely no interior presence at all. Their defense is designed to make the opposing team into a jumpshooting team and then have a jumpshot contest (which the Mavs usually win because they are a good jumpshooting team). The problem with that is that when teams that thrive off of paint points (Spurs, for example) lock down the perimeter (like yesterday), the Mavs are still stuck shooting contested jumpshots while the opposing team is attacking the rim, either scoring or getting to the line. I'm not saying the Mavs never get into the paint because that would be false, but they don't do it near as much as they should.

Gino
03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
FinDog, I want you to change your name to "Chief Sky Is Falling".

Findog
03-24-2008, 02:11 PM
FinDog, I want you to change your name to "Chief Sky Is Falling".

It's been a tough 21 months for Mavs fans, so you'll have to excuse the pessismism and frustration. You haven't been here that long, I was the one preaching patience and a glass half full approach while mono was all about doom and gloom.

Even that great regular season and MVP award can't be remembered fondly because of what directly followed it.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Look at the history of players in that range, while you will find the occassional contributor, most are marginal players or busts.
You can say that about pretty much every range of picks besides 1-5. There's been plenty of solid contributors in the 11-14 range.

Ronnie Brewer
Rashad McCants
Vlad Radmanovich
Richard Jefferson
Corey Maggette
Bonzi Wells
Derek Anderson
Kobe Bryant
Peja Stojakovic
Corliss Williamson
Jalen Rose
Allan Houston
Robert Horry
Dale Davis
Tim Hardaway
Reggie Miller
Karl Malone

all taken from 11-14. Not saying we'll get a Kobe, Miller, or Malone, or even a Peja or Jefferson....but we could get a serviceable Jalen Rose/Corliss Williamson type for sure.

Gino
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
It's been a tough 21 months for Mavs fans, so you'll have to excuse the pessismism and frustration. You haven't been here that long, I was the one preaching patience and a glass half full approach while mono was all about doom and gloom.

Even that great regular season and MVP award can't be remembered fondly because of what directly followed it.

I dont mean you, specifically. Its just that you are the Mavs fan leader and all mavs fans are in official panic mode.

stretch
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I dont mean you, specifically. Its just that you are the Mavs fan leader and all mavs fans are in official panic mode.
I'm not in any panic mode. I just would like to see us get someone that can get us more easy buckets in the paint. if we could replace Howard+Filler with Maggette, that would solve that problem. Maggette is just as good of a 3pt shooter as Howard, but is 10X more of a slasher/driver. He is always among the league leaders at getting to the line. His driving will be greatly welcomed in Dallas.

stretch
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
It could be where Devean George & his faggot Bird rights are of some use. Would they take a Howard/George for Maggette deal?

The biggest problem with that lineup is that we get even worse shooting the ball, though.
I disagree. I think Maggette is just as good of a shooter as Howard. In the past, he has had poorer shot selection, but that has improved vastly this year, and in turn, his percentage is quite good as well.

Findog
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Eh, long term there's no panic. Dirk turns 30 this summer, I think he has 2-3 prime seasons left after this one. As long as Dirk is in his prime and Cuban is willing to pay top dollar for talent, we'll be among the elite teams in the league. The injury is not a long-term serious one, I was afraid of a Chris Webber situation. But I do believe that with Dirk out around 2 weeks and being only 2 games ahead of Denver, our season is over.

I'll stand with my team and watch until the clock reads 0:00 after the final game, that's what true diehards do instead of hoping off the bandwagon now to worry about who the Cowboys will be drafting. I just don't think our season will last past April 16th.

sribb43
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/dirk-word-for-word.html

1:47 PM Mon, Mar 24, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Follow the jump for a transcription of Dirk's chat with the media this afternoon. Questions are paraphrased; his answers are verbatim.

How do you feel?

"I'm on some painkillers, obviously, so the pain is not that bad. Just a little stiff, mostly the ankle. Both the knee as well. Got a little knee sprain, too, so ... Just really an awkward, unfortunate play. My leg really got caught in the wrong place. It's a little disappointing now, but I think the good thing is it could've been a lot worse. I was really lucky. Something more could've happened to my knee or the leg could've been broken. I think this is the best-case scenario."

How long you think you'll be out?

"The problem is it's a high ankle sprain, so it's not really a normal ankle sprain. I really don't have any experience with this. This is fairly new to me. And with the knee, I've never really had knee problems, a sprained knee before. So I'm just going to take it day by day. I think the first 48 hours are important to keep no swelling from coming in.
"I iced it a couple of times last night, got up every two hours, and I'll probably do the same thing tonight and the hopefully when there's no swelling we'll see how it progresses from day to day. I really don't know how long it's going to take -- a week? Two weeks? I have no idea."

Sense of urgency?

"Especially looking at the tight playoff picture. Every game hurts to sit out. This is probably the most painful time to miss games. That's very discouraging. Like I said I'm try to see the positive and it could've been a lot worse. it could've been a season-ending injury or even career-ending. So I'm definitely trying to see the positive side.
"It was hard to watch the fourth quarter yesterday and not be out there. We had trouble scoring. It was definitely tough just to sit there and watch."

Will you be back by end of season?

"I'm hoping. Like I said, I really don't know how it's going to respond b/c I've never really had a high ankle sprain. Usually I'm good with recovering from injuries. I know I'm not 20 any more, but I still feel young, my body feels young. So hopefully I can recover pretty quick.
"This is a huge stretch. I was looking at the schedule just yesterday and a lot of big games coming up, on the road a lot of traveling. So I'd love to be out there soon."

Are your teammates ready to step up?

"We gotta get better offensively. We'll be all right. Josh has to get his scoring up, Jet has to come of f the bench and score. Kidd has to look for his shot a little more and Stack has been doing great. I think everyone has to pick it up a little bit. Bass will see some action and be the explosive scorer we've seen him become this year. Just collectively we've got to get it done offensively because I think defensively we're fine. We adjusted and Kidd has adjusted to the D system really nice. I think our offense hasn't really been as sharp as we want. Hopefully we can all pick up the slack there."

Can Mavs make the playoffs without you?

"Well, we'll see what happens. In this league anything's possible. Everything's so tight, but if we rally together sometimes a team comes closer together if a player goes down. So, we'll just see what happens, but I'm confident in the guys and we'll go from there."

Will team get blown up if it doesn't make playoffs?

"I'm not thinking about all that yet. We're in the middle of a playoff hunt, as of now we're still in the playoffs, so I don't even want to think that we're not going to make the playoffs. I'm going to ice my butt off for the next couple of days and hopefully I can be out there as soon as I can. I don't even want to think about that we don't make the playoffs, that's not how I want to think."

What will you do to rehab?

"I'm on anti-inflammatories, lots of icing, it's important for the first 48 hours because of the swelling, then I really don't know. We'll take it day-by-day, trust our trainers, trust our doc, then go from there. Hopefully I can move where I can already go on the underwater treadmill a little bit in the next couple of days so at least I can put some pressure on it and see how it feels. That's kind of where I go."

Will you be like Terrell Owens and use a hyperbaric chamber?

"I don't have any experience in that area so whatever really I need to do I will do. I always have done that, whatever I need to do to get my health back is what I will do. Like I said, I will trust the doctor, our trainer obviously and they will make the correct decisions for me. They obviously have my best interests and the Mavericks' best interests at heart."

Will you travel?

"I don't know. We have another day tomorrow, a full day of treatment, full day today and then travel on Wednesday, so I really have no idea. When I actually say I take it day-by-day, it's saying with this injury I'll do whatever they tell me. I'd love to go and support the troops and be there, but if it's best to stay here and get treatment and sleep in whatever treatment I need to sleep in, I'll do that."

Rockets winning without Yao give hope?

"Every team is different, but I think we can rally around it. We have enough guys that can play. Malik Allen fits in great, he'll see some time now at the four-spot, he can spread the floor, shoot, he's a pretty good defender, we all know what [Brandon] Bass brings, we can even go small with [Devean] George at the four some against the smaller teams that are coming up, Golden State, Phoenix we have in this run. We're deep enough, hopefully everybody else will stay healthy and we'll be all right."

himat
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM

KG>Dirk

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I disagree. I think Maggette is just as good of a shooter as Howard. In the past, he has had poorer shot selection, but that has improved vastly this year, and in turn, his percentage is quite good as well.
Maybe so, but this team still needs to add another shooter either way. Stack can be nice when he's hot, but generally he isn't, and he absolutely kills the team when he's not on his game.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I really think it's in this team's best interests to miss the playoffs and recoup that draft pick. While there's really no superstars besides maybe Beasley, there's plenty of serviceable players in this draft, especially at the 11-14 spot.

We bitched about no backup center.....well Kevin Love & Roy Hibbert are projected to be available as a late lottery pick.

If we're thinking of a PG to replace Kidd....DJ Augustin will be within reach. Do some wheelin' and dealin' and we could land ourselves Derrick Rose.

We have a lot more options & flexibility if we have this draft pick. What's the point of getting slaughtered as the 8-seed?

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
go look at Dirk's career numbers.....he's anything but injury prone you ignorant fuck.

can someone please tell Oklahomo here to go post in the college forum and waste people's time over there gushing over his two-bit NIT team, instead of in here or the NFL Forum where he proves just what an uneducated Okie moron he is?

Lol, again when you have nothing good to say you make personal attacks. If you are anything besides rude, you are certainly predictable.

NIT? NFL? Isn't this the NBA Forum?

Thanks for avoiding the subject at hand and resorting to weak sauce like that. It's good to know that you acknowledge you've been owned like a bitch.

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Lol, again when you have nothing good to say you make personal attacks. If you are anything besides rude, you are certainly predictable.

Thanks for avoiding the subject at hand and resorting to weak sauce like that.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
lol, double post.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

MajorMike
That's some awesome sig material there.

Hey, mono... how you doin'??

stretch
KG>Dirk
Dirk>KG

stretch
03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe so, but this team still needs to add another shooter either way. Stack can be nice when he's hot, but generally he isn't, and he absolutely kills the team when he's not on his game.
I agree. Any good FA shooters going to be out there?

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
That's some awesome sig material there.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I agree. Any good FA shooters going to be out there?
as far as unrestricted guys, there's -

Eddie House
Mickael Pietrus
Gordan Giricek
Beno Udrih
Antawn Jamison

not terribly appealing except for Jamison, and he's probably not leaving Washington, and I dunno if he'd come back to Dallas.

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
The only thing the Mavs are lacking is a young, quick, athletic point guard.

If you guys could eventually find a Devin Harris type player to replace Kidd I think you'd be all set. :tu

stretch
03-24-2008, 03:17 PM
as far as unrestricted guys, there's -

Eddie House
Mickael Pietrus
Gordan Giricek
Beno Udrih
Antawn Jamison

not terribly appealing except for Jamison, and he's probably not leaving Washington, and I dunno if he'd come back to Dallas.
I wouldn't mind Pietrus. Another versatile, athletic guy, and he can definitely hit the 3.

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
The only thing the Mavs are lacking is a young, quick, athletic point guard.

If you guys could eventually find a Devin Harris type player to replace Kidd I think you'd be all set. :tu

If they could get a good, big defender down low like Diop I'd call them one of the faves.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
If they could get a good, big defender down low like Diop I'd call them one of the faves.

MajorMike
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

RonMexico
03-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I love that CaptMike is made fun of everywhere on this board, but he keeps coming back. I also love that he doesn't understand we're making fun of him, and keeps quoting mono, calling it "sig-worthy" material.

I'd swear this guy were also SpursDynasty or DazedAndConfused, but there is such a haughtiness in his posts that the other two don't possess. SpursDynasty knows that when he calls LeBron James a "fluke" we all know he's being slightly, yet annoyingly humorous. Mike really thinks he's smarter than us. However, his poor college education, inability to take jokes, propensity to change the subject(s) mid-thread, and shockingly consistent amnesia of his own stupid and grossly inaccurate posts negate that theory.

He also has a terrible command of the English language, but since they speak an odd dialect of douche in Oklahoma, I'll forgive it this time.

stretch
03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
:lol

RonMexico
03-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Make sure you quote me, because CaptMike has me blocked... I'm too logical.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I love that CaptMike is made fun of everywhere on this board, but he keeps coming back. I also love that he doesn't understand we're making fun of him, and keeps quoting mono, calling it "sig-worthy" material.

I'd swear this guy were also SpursDynasty or DazedAndConfused, but there is such a haughtiness in his posts that the other two don't possess. SpursDynasty knows that when he calls LeBron James a "fluke" we all know he's being slightly, yet annoyingly humorous. Mike really thinks he's smarter than us. However, his poor college education, inability to take jokes, propensity to change the subject(s) mid-thread, and shockingly consistent amnesia of his own stupid and grossly inaccurate posts negate that theory.

He also has a terrible command of the English language, but since they speak an odd dialect of douche in Oklahoma, I'll forgive it this time.
I don't peruse the College Forums too often but I have enough to see his Okie State jerkoff sessions. That's all I needed to see. It just sucks that he spreads his insufferable douchiness beyond that forum.

It used to be mildly amused to read his orgasmic pleasure over Seattle getting raped of their basketball team and having it given away to some shitty little hick town with little significance beyond whatever terrorist bombing has happened there recently. Now he's just gotten annoying.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Make sure you quote me, because CaptMike has me blocked... I'm too logical.
:lol

dbreiden83080
03-24-2008, 05:03 PM

I don't think they have much of a chance. You could see it this is a team that as was constructed starting the year had NEVER gotten past being beaten in the first RD of the playoffs, they were humiliated and never got over it. They made changes and those changes have not come together like they hoped. I think that core group is not contending for a title at all. 2006 was there shot and they came up 2 games short.

Bruno
03-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Mavs have little interest to tank right now.

Given teams record, if Mavs are in the lottery, they will be the team with the best record among lottery teams.
They will get the 14th pick at 98%.

Even if you consider that winning the championship is a long shot for Dallas, is a 14th pick worth losing that shot ?

And if Mavs keep their pick this year, they will lose their 2009 pick.

Findog
03-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Mavs have little interest to tank right now.

Given teams record, if Mavs are in the lottery, they will be the team with the best record among lottery teams.
They will get the 14th pick at 98%.

Even if you consider that winning the championship is a long shot for Dallas, is a 14th pick worth losing that shot ?

And if Mavs keep their pick this year, they will lose their 2009 pick.

I'm torn. I mean, a bad road team is all of the sudden going to reel off 4 series wins in a row without HCA? We'll get a decent player with the 14th pick in the draft.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Mavs fans are all bitching about not having a backup center....well the 14th pick gets us Kevin Love or Roy Hibbert. Roy Hibbert is basically Diop with some post skills. Kevin Love isn't all that athletic, but he's a smart defender, and the guy can give us 8-10 ppg easy as a rookie.

if we want to go future PG, we can easily trade up a few spots for DJ Augustin. Or hell maybe pull something out of our asses and get Derrick Rose.

our options open up a hell of a lot more if we get into the lottery. We still have Dirk & Kidd to make a run next year, which means losing the 2009 pick is really a non-factor if this team gets better pieces around those two next year.

I'm starting to convince myself that this team doesn't need a blowup, they just need to miss the playoffs, get that lottery pick, and do some more retooling. Give Kidd an entire offseason to become the leader of the team, give him & Dirk more time together, and make a move for Corey Maggette.

Avery also has to get with the program, or get the fuck out of town. If he's going to keep a stranglehold on the team, then fire him.

Findog
03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Mavs fans are all bitching about not having a backup center....well the 14th pick gets us Kevin Love or Roy Hibbert. Roy Hibbert is basically Diop with some post skills. Kevin Love isn't all that athletic, but he's a smart defender, and the guy can give us 8-10 ppg easy as a rookie.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen him go before 14 in a lot of mock drafts. And does he come out for sure?

if we want to go future PG, we can easily trade up a few spots for DJ Augustin. Or hell maybe pull something out of our asses and get Derrick Rose.

Our only real assets to trade are Josh Howard and Brandon Bass. Given the convoluted difficulties in resigning Bass after next year, we might as well trade him now to get something for him while his value is high, since it will be hard to keep him.

our options open up a hell of a lot more if we get into the lottery. We still have Dirk & Kidd to make a run next year, which means losing the 2009 pick is really a non-factor if this team gets better pieces around those two next year.

I think we need to make a concerted effort to get rid of Stack and Terry's contracts, but no team would want those unless we're taking some salary back and parting with Howard as well. Those three guys count for $26-some million against the cap, so we should probably be able to get something good back for them. We also have George's Bird Rights to match salary in a S-n-T.

We should retool for next year, and if we come up short again, then blow this thing the fuck up.

Avery also has to get with the program, or get the fuck out of town. If he's going to keep a stranglehold on the team, then fire him.

I think he's gone, for the cumulative effect of getting successively outcoached by Riley and Nellie, which isn't that bad because those are two of the keenest basketball minds around, but also making the strategic decision to "do like the Spurs do" and mess around with rotation and sub patterns early on. It turns out wins were precious in the West this year, and wouldn't it be nice to have back those early season losses to shit teams now that we can't survive Dirk being out so long? That SPAM shit works for San Antonio, but we have to find out own approach.

I agree about making a run for Maggette. He makes $7 million a year, and he can opt out of his deal. Some team will give him a raise, and I'm sure he would rather play on a contending team than the Clippers.

Findog
03-24-2008, 07:41 PM
One problem with Maggette is that he's injury-prone.

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I think he's gone, for the cumulative effect of getting successively outcoached by Riley and Nellie, which isn't that bad because those are two of the keenest basketball minds around, but also making the strategic decision to "do like the Spurs do" and mess around with rotation and sub patterns early on. It turns out wins were precious in the West this year, and wouldn't it be nice to have back those early season losses to shit teams now that we can't survive Dirk being out so long? That SPAM shit works for San Antonio, but we have to find out own approach.
This is right on.

Considering the confidence issues that surround the Mavs, the best approach was actually the one they took last year - setting the lineups early, not straying from them, and going balls-out all season long. These guys are pros, they shouldn't "tire out" at the end of the year, and I think that was just a BS cop-out that the team took after being ousted by the Warriors.

This team can only succeed if they are comfortable playing together and they're accumulating wins and building up that fragile confidence. Constantly tinkering with lineups screws up all of those things.

Findog
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Considering the confidence issues that surround the Mavs, the best approach was actually the one they took last year - setting the lineups early, not straying from them, and going balls-out all season long. These guys are pros, they shouldn't "tire out" at the end of the year, and I think that was just a BS cop-out that the team took after being ousted by the Warriors.

Yeah, they weren't "tired" against the Warriors, they simply peaked too early. You do have to time these things just right. For instance, I think the Rockets have peaked. I don't know of any team that would've wanted to play them if the playoffs had started 3 weeks ago. The Warriors themselves were incredibly hot right as the playoffs had started, while the Mavs had been dicking around since they had the #1 seed wrapped up for so long.

This team can only succeed if they are comfortable playing together and they're accumulating wins and building up that fragile confidence. Constantly tinkering with lineups screws up all of those things.

The one good thing about next year, is that unless we pull off some blockbuster moves like the Celtics did, there will be no expectations and nobody will be paying us any heed. Those things can work for us. It's not like we're the Pacers and missing out on a playoff berth in the East. This is still a very good team. I will say this: if you're going to get Kidd, you need to commit to getting the right players around him. Outside of Josh, Dirk and Terry, we don't have enough guys to run with him.

monosylab1k
03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
In Sefko's chat, he mentioned Joe Johnson or Josh Smith as possible guys to get in the offseason.

That's an interesting situation, since Josh Childress & Josh Smith are both restricted free agents, and Joe Johnson has a monster contract that the Hawks wouldn't mind losing if the right deal came along. Cuban obviously doesn't mind paying a monster contract either.

I'd LOVE to have my boy Joe Johnson on the Mavs, or Childress or Smith for that matter. Childress is GREAT at moving w/o the ball, he does dirty work, and he'd fit in perfect with Kidd.

Findog
03-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Josh S is a restricted FA. I don't know how much money we could offer, what kind of contracts the Hawks would be willing to take back, but yeah, if we could wing a deal for Joe and Josh S, that would be awesome.

Changes need to be made. Two years ago, they figured nothing drastic needed to happen because of how close they came. Last year, they gave more weight to winning 67 games than losing like they did in the 1st round. Now, they need to really shake things up.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I really think we should get Joe Johnson, he can really take some pressure of Dirk during crunch time and he is someone who the defense must pay attention too.

DazedAndConfused
03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
The Mavs need to get an athletic swingman who can slash into the lane, penetrate, and finish at the rim. It also wouldn't hurt if they managed to find a legitimate low post threat they could throw it into everyone once in a while when the jumpshots aren't falling.

Right now they are simply too perimeter oriented.

TampaDude
03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
KG will win a ring this year so that will fix that.

Uh...NOT! :lol

monosylab1k
03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Josh Howard - trade him.
Jason Terry - trade him.

What other offseason moves need to be done?

mavs>spurs2
03-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Josh Howard - trade him.
Jason Terry - trade him.

What other offseason moves need to be done?

Fire Avery and kill Cuban.