PDA

View Full Version : Where would the Spurs be without Manu

smeagol
03-24-2008, 08:56 AM
At this point, not sure if they would be in the top 8 in the West. Probably 5 or 6 more checks in the L column.

I hope they can turn the swith on in the last stretch of the regular season and the playoffs.

WalterBenitez
03-24-2008, 09:00 AM
We would lost last game, standings? no idea

BlackSwordsMan
03-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Not even a threat in the west to be honest.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
This can probably be said of any of the big 4, but its true, has has been instrumental to our success.

honestfool84
03-24-2008, 09:36 AM
this thread is irrelevant.

where would the mavs be without dirk? (looks like we're about to find out)
where would the lakers be with kobe?
where would the celtics be without garnett?
where would the hornets be without paul?

yeah, ok - i don't think any of the powers of the nba would be where they are without one of their best super stars.

WalterBenitez
03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Where would be POP without Tim Duncan???? :eyebrows

smeagol
03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
this thread is irrelevant.

where would the mavs be without dirk? (looks like we're about to find out)
where would the lakers be with kobe?
where would the celtics be without garnett?
where would the hornets be without paul?

yeah, ok - i don't think any of the powers of the nba would be where they are without one of their best super stars.

Not sure Manu is considered a Superstar, even by Spurs fans.

There lies the relevance of the thread.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
The CoM reminds me of lakerfans when their team is doing well.

Nikos
03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
The Spurs should be playing much better then they are now. Hell in 2001-02 Tim Duncan and a 65% Drob led the team to 58 wins and a much better defense, and even offense then this SPur team. Sure it wasn't nearly as diverse an offensive team as now, but statistically more effective in the regular season. But I guess the true test is the playoffs anyway. Would be nice if they had homecourt vs all these excellent teams out West and a possible Boston or Detroit final.

This team is definitely underachieving - but I still think they are a Top 5 West team even without Manu (if they had to play 82 games).

ducks
03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
manu played bad 2 straight games
has a good game yesterday
tp and duncan struggled with their shot and we get a thread
where this team would be without manu

if spurs did not have manu but had a another player that was an allstar they would be close to where they are
not the same
manu is special
but would tp and duncan do more then they do without manu
I believe they would do you ?

ducks
03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
The Spurs should be playing much better then they are now. Hell in 2001-02 Tim Duncan and a 65% Drob led the team to 58 wins and a much better defense, and even offense then this SPur team. Sure it wasn't nearly as diverse an offensive team as now, but statistically more effective in the regular season. But I guess the true test is the playoffs anyway. Would be nice if they had homecourt vs all these excellent teams out West and a possible Boston or Detroit final.

This team is definitely underachieving - but I still think they are a Top 5 West team even without Manu (if they had to play 82 games).

does it really matter what their regular season record is as long as they win the title?

ducks
03-24-2008, 01:59 PM

on this forum most defiallty
he is god
all other players on spurs suck donkeys compared to him

ducks
03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Not even a threat in the west to be honest.
:rolleyes :rolleyes

2centsworth
03-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I have to admit this thread is a little over the top.

Brutalis
03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
3 titles minus, and a bunch of converted Spurs -> Mav fans.

smeagol
03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I have to admit this thread is a little over the top.
I though it was a fair question.

Even ducks got mad because he thjinks its a knock on TP.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-24-2008, 02:11 PM
They would be in San Antonio. Angelo Drossos and Red McCombs totally pwn Manu when it comes to being responsible for where the Spurs are.

dogzofwar
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
This is a fair question but you need to add who would be in Manu's spot??? From what I know he is very well paid and the Spurs could grab another semi-superstar or at least two very creditable players to fill that void. How would a Rip Hamilton play in place of Gino? Or maybe a two for one like a Fisher and Cassell (since the Spurs love old guys). Either one can destroy another team on any given night. Truth be told...you put a healthy TD with 1 or 2 other players that are decent...and you have a team that can win it all.

TMTTRIO
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
By the way here's that feature on Manu from half time. I forgot that he did training in boxing this summer. It looks like it might have come into good use. Hey Stackhouse better be glad that he didn't use it on him :lol. I love how Manu kind of puts down his talent by saying he's somewhat talented in ways and gives all the credit to Tim Duncan.

z_F1hdYLsyk

Blue-Lightning
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Actually, Manu is probably the most underpaid player in the league.

BL

MaNuMaNiAc
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I though it was a fair question.

Even ducks got mad because he thjinks its a knock on TP.
ducks thinks that anything not related to TP is a knock on TP :rolleyes... he's TP's version of the CoM fanatics basically, which is why you need not pay him attention.

dogzofwar
03-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah...9.5 million a year sucks.

td4mvp21
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
This team has to be underachieving...I think they are too good to be playing like they are now. We've seen them when they are focused and they still look pretty damn good (too bad it's been for short stretches this season). Hopefully they are just waiting for the playoffs to come around...

Nikos
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
does it really matter what their regular season record is as long as they win the title?

Problem is they have never been this bad in the regular season since they got Tim Duncan. And given the fact that Duncan's support at the #2 and #3 options (Tony and Manu) is as talented as ever -- I would expect this team even when underachieving on a solid track to finish with 60 wins or so.

timmy21_4rings
03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
10th in Western Conference

sa_kid20
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I would expect this team even when underachieving on a solid track to finish with 60 wins or so.
Nobody in the West is gonna win 60 games this year; the west is just really good this year so it's not like the Spurs are underachieving. Give the competition some credit.

Nikos
Another thing I realized is just how bad the team is offensively with Oberto, Bowen, Finley, Udoka, and Vaughn basically providing very little on offense. Oberto and Bowen are decent percentage wise, but rarely put up shot attempts. So basically the team doesn't have high efficiency or high output role players. In the past Sjax and Hedo for example could give a solid offensive game PLUS solid defense. Rasho provided more defense then Oberto, Vaughn, Udoka, or Finley provide on offense or defense.

Basically the role players need to step up more. Because even with more major injuries in the past to main players they have faired much better as a team then the 2008 Spurs. Time to step up their games NOW, and try to get homecourt in the West.

MaNuMaNiAc
This is a fair question but you need to add who would be in Manu's spot??? From what I know he is very well paid and the Spurs could grab another semi-superstar or at least two very creditable players to fill that void. How would a Rip Hamilton play in place of Gino? Or maybe a two for one like a Fisher and Cassell (since the Spurs love old guys). Either one can destroy another team on any given night. Truth be told...you put a healthy TD with 1 or 2 other players that are decent...and you have a team that can win it all.

Rip's Stats
Salary: $9,750,000

PPG 17.7 RPG 3.3 APG 4.2 SPG 1.0 BPG 0.1 FG% 0.491 FT% 0.826 3P% 0.447 MPG 34.3

Manu's stats
Salary: $9,075,000

PPG 20,1 RPG 4,9 APG 4,6 SPG 1,5 BPG 0,4 FG% 0,458 FT% 0,856 3P% 0,407 MPG 31,5

Quite similar in numbers, but I think Manu brings more to the table than Rip.

ducks
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Problem is they have never been this bad in the regular season since they got Tim Duncan. And given the fact that Duncan's support at the #2 and #3 options (Tony and Manu) is as talented as ever -- I would expect this team even when underachieving on a solid track to finish with 60 wins or so.
western conference never has been this tough before either

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
One thing I've noticed is that Manu is really taking it to the Mavs. He must have the 2006 WC Game 7 foul running inside his head everytime he plays them. Here are his averages in the four games played this season against Dallas:

Games 4
MPG 35.8
FG% .419
3P% .292
FT% .900
PPG 26.3
OFF 2.3
DEF 4.3
REB 6.5
APG 6.0
SPG 1.5
BPG 0.5

Nikos
03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
western conference never has been this tough before either

Ehh I don't think that is the only reason. They still are not doing well versus the bad teams either. Their point differentials used to be excellent when players were healthy. It seems they struggle to win almost every game, even when the big three are healthy.

The West was still tough in 2003-2005. The last two years not so much so.

ducks
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
where would this team be without bowen?

where would this team be without duncan?
where would this team be without robert horry?
where would this team be without tp?
where would this team be without thomas?
where would this team be without oberta?
where would this team be without pop?
where would this team be without any player on this team?

ducks
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
One thing I've noticed is that Manu is really taking it to the Mavs. He must have the 2006 WC Game 7 foul running inside his head everytime he plays them. Here are his averages in the four games played this season against Dallas:

Games 4
MPG 35.8
FG% .419
3P% .292
FT% .900
PPG 26.3
OFF 2.3
DEF 4.3
REB 6.5
APG 6.0
SPG 1.5
BPG 0.5 good I hope he always goes off on dallas

hater
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
where would this team be without bowen?

where would this team be without duncan?
where would this team be without robert horry?
where would this team be without tp?
where would this team be without thomas?
where would this team be without oberta?
where would this team be without pop?
where would this team be without any player on this team?

:donkey :bang

boutons_
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I think Manu's contribution has saved the Spurs from at least 10L.

iow, no Manu, we'd be out of the playoffs right now.

ducks
03-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I think Manu's contribution has saved the Spurs from at least 10L.

iow, no Manu, we'd be out of the playoffs right now.
without duncan atleast 15 more losses

MaNuMaNiAc
03-24-2008, 03:02 PM
without duncan atleast 15 more losses:lol... we get it ducks, you can rest easy now

dogzofwar
03-24-2008, 03:02 PM

I couldn't agree more...Manu brings life into the game! I only picked Rip because I knew he was statistically close to manu. I just don't like how the question is worded.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I couldn't agree more...Manu brings life into the game! I only picked Rip because I knew he was statistically close to manu. I just don't like how the question is worded.
It does rather simplify the issue. Should be a bit more specific.

spursfan09
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Where would the Spurs be without Duncan? LIke seriously what city would they be in? :lol

bdictjames
03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Manu on that video: "Until my retirement, I'll try to collect as many as I can".

Such a true meaning of a winner.

manubili
03-24-2008, 03:21 PM
without duncan: #15
without manu: #12
without tony or bowen: #8
with scola: #1 :madrun

Typhoon
03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't know about the Spurs, but what I know it’s that I probably wouldn’t be here, and 99.8% of the Argentinean posters wouldn't be here also.

smeagol
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't know about the Spurs, but what I know it’s that I probably wouldn’t be here, and 99.8% of the Argentinean posters wouldn't be here also.
:lol :lol :lol

I know that rubs many old timers the wrong way . . .

myhc
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM

so what happens when manu retires? :lol :toast :)

sassystriker
03-25-2008, 04:37 AM
in the dumpster.

mathbzh
03-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Problem is they have never been this bad in the regular season since they got Tim Duncan.

Actually we were in 1999-2000 (53-29 64%).

If you just look at the record we are still quiet good given the strength of the western conference. If we end the season strong we could still match our 2001, 2002 and 2007 records despite having one or the other member of the big 3 hurt in a big number of games and despite a stronger opposition.

Of course there are concerns about our game but we are still a very great team.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Where would we be? Up shit creek without a paddle.

Manu is my deity! :devil :ihit :D That's MANU!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-25-2008, 06:13 AM

:lmao @ comparing Rip to MANU.

Rip is a nice shooting guard with one of the best midrange games in the league.

Manu is a SUPERCOMPETITOR who takes over and wins games as if his life depended on it! And he does so in every way imaginable on a basketball court! For shame! For shame! :dramaquee

:lmao

WalterBenitez
03-25-2008, 06:16 AM
so what happens when manu retires? :lol :toast :)

He could "retire" POP? :oops that would be a way to keep us around :lol

smeagol
03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
without duncan atleast 15 more losses

That is what is supposed to happen.

Duncan is our franchise player . . . our spuerstar . . . Manu is not.

Get the difference?

smeagol
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
:lmao @ comparing Rip to MANU.

Rip is a nice shooting guard with one of the best midrange games in the league.

Manu is a SUPERCOMPETITOR who takes over and wins games as if his life depended on it! And he does so in every way imaginable on a basketball court! For shame! For shame! :dramaquee

:lmao
I remember not so long ago (2004 or 2005), SpursFans taking Rip over Manu . . .

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-25-2008, 08:24 AM

Pure insanity my friend. I never waivered. :ihit

smeagol
03-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Pure insanity my friend. I never waivered. :ihit

You have become such a diehard CoM member, chumpdumper and shoog are going to start going after you :lol

mathbzh
03-25-2008, 08:41 AM

Manu is a great SG (>>Rip) but with Duncan and two borderline allstar I would still like the Spurs chances. A Duncan/Parker/Rip would have been a nice trio.

honestfool84
03-25-2008, 08:50 AM

manu not a superstar?

then what is he?

a superSUB cause he comes off the bench?

pretty much think he's a superstar, and as soon as tim's time is up, this is manu's team.

mathbzh
03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
manu not a superstar?

then what is he?

a superSUB cause he comes off the bench?

pretty much think he's a superstar, and as soon as tim's time is up, this is manu's team.

Unfortunately Manu should not last much longer than Tim.

kace
03-25-2008, 12:46 PM

i don't think it would be a big loss since you're obviously not a spurs fan and, in case you didn't see, it's actually a spurs forum. Manu's groupies and their stupid threads are annoying.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-25-2008, 12:52 PM
i don't think it would be a big loss since you're obviously not a spurs fan and, in case you didn't see, it's actually a spurs forum. Manu's groupies and their stupid threads are annoying.He didn't say he's NOT a Spursfan. All I got from what he said was that he came to be a Spursfan because of Manu... how is this wrong?? You know how many people become Spursfans because of players? You think there aren't a million Duncan groupies? Kori herself has said that she was a Duncan fan first, and Spurs fan second. You're going to tell her she's obviously not a Spurs fan?... yeah, I didn't think so.

JamStone
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Being led to its sixth straight NBA title by Stephen Jackson and Josh Howard.

:elephant

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Being led to its sixth straight NBA title by Stephen Jackson, Luis Scola, and Josh Howard.

fixed

JamStone
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
LOL touche, Amused.

kace
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
He didn't say he's NOT a Spursfan. All I got from what he said was that he came to be a Spursfan because of Manu... how is this wrong?? You know how many people become Spursfans because of players? You think there aren't a million Duncan groupies? Kori herself has said that she was a Duncan fan first, and Spurs fan second. You're going to tell her she's obviously not a Spurs fan?... yeah, I didn't think so.

well, it's definitively not the way i undestand it.
but anyway, i'm pretty sure a big majority of manu's fans (especially from argentina) would quit the Spurs if manu was trade (which would be horrible).

nothing wrong with being a manu's fan. nothing wrong of being firstly a manu's fan before being a spurs fan. but a lot of manu's groupies simply see the spurs as the team where manu plays. and i think it tells a lot of their biased post and threads.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
well, it's definitively not the way i undestand it.
but anyway, i'm pretty sure a big majority of manu's fans (especially from argentina) would quit the Spurs if manu was trade (which would be horrible).

nothing wrong with being a manu's fan. nothing wrong of being firstly a manu's fan before being a spurs fan. but a lot of manu's groupies simply see the spurs as the team where manu plays. and i think it tells a lot of their biased post and threads.
There most certainly are people that would leave Spurs fandom if Manu were to be traded. I agree. There are also a ton of people in here that wouldn't be a Spurs fan if Duncan hadn't come to play here, and would have left with Duncan, had he gone to Orlando back in 2000. Of course, nobody ever complains about Duncan groupies because... well, its understandable... right? its the same damn thing. The only difference is that people here are so annoyed by the Manu fanatics now a days, that now, a thread like this invites answers like yours.

Blind Manu homers have to be about the most annoying fans out there, I'll give you that...

hater
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Being led to its sixth straight NBA title by Stephen Jackson and Josh Howard.

:lmao @ Josh Howard and title in the same sentence

kace
03-25-2008, 04:53 PM
The only difference is that people here are so annoyed by the Manu fanatics now a days, that now, a thread like this invites answers like yours.

you're right on this one. it's not about manu of course (how not love him ??), it's about his blind groupies and their omnipresence and overreaction on this forum (which i read a lot even if i not post often).
you're obviously not one of them and these kind of behaviour would be also stupid for Tim or TP. It just happens with manu. unfortunately.
Not a big deal anyway ;)