PDA

View Full Version : computer motherboard question/situation

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 10:03 AM
ok so i was installing some "new" memory and "new" graphics card into my computer and now nothing is happening. i put in the memory. fired it up and i didn't get that "beep" it does. i shut it off using the button in the front. made sure the memory was secure and fired it up again. same results, but this time it wouldn't let me turn it off in the front. i had to unplug it. then i installed the "new" card and secured the memory again. same results but this time i noticed that the area on the motherboard where the RAM goes was hot. the system just "hangs". fans are going. the LED on the board is on. no hard drive activity. no nothing. if i disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard, knowingly leaving the power connected to the hard drive, the hard drive starts spinning. once i connect it to the board, nada. also the heatsink on the chipset, not the CPU, is pretty hot. after all this i put all of my old stuff back, but i get the same results. this time the area around the RAM isnt as hot. did i fry the board?

blizz
03-24-2008, 10:45 AM
you zapped your mobo...maybe. take everything off the board...all cards, ram, cables to drives, unplug the atx connector and plug it back in...then reseat the CPU, reseat the ram and install just the video card. reset the bios and reboot. if that fails...put the old video card and ram back in and try again. good luck.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
you zapped your mobo...maybe. take everything off the board...all cards, ram, cables to drives, unplug the atx connector and plug it back in...then reseat the CPU, reseat the ram and install just the video card. reset the bios and reboot. if that fails...put the old video card and ram back in and try again. good luck.i did all that. i completely gutted it, dusted it, and put all my original stuff in and the same results happened. the only thing that happened differently when i did that is the part of the board where the memory is wasn't as hot. i hope i didn't fry, which i think i might have, the board. it was a solid 478 board.

leemajors
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
you could try resetting the CMOS with the jumpers, but it sounds fried.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
you could try resetting the CMOS with the jumpers, but it sounds fried.how do you do that? at this point i'll try anything before i have to search for a new board.

baseline bum
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
how do you do that? at this point i'll try anything before i have to search for a new board.

To reset the CMOS, move the CMOS jumper over one pin and leave it for about 30 seconds, then put the CMOS jumper back in the original place. However, even if you have the wrong CPU and/or memory settings saved to the CMOS, you'll still get some beep code during the POST.

leemajors
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
how do you do that? at this point i'll try anything before i have to search for a new board.

edit = bb beat me to it.

Brutalis
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
PM my friend korny earl on ST, he is real good at this stuff..

baseline bum
03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Also, you can cut power using the front button on your case by holding the power button down for 8 seconds.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
i'll try reseting the CMOS, but as far as the beeps, I get none whatsoever.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
i seemed to have overlooked something about the graphics card. if the one i just bought was a higher voltage than what the motherboard could accept, could that have fried it?

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
...if it won't beep with the old video card, RAM and HD hooked up, it looks like you fried the board...

leemajors
03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
i seemed to have overlooked something about the graphics card. if the one i just bought was a higher voltage than what the motherboard could accept, could that have fried it?
possibly, but if it were one of the newer cards it would probably just not work. if it fit, it should work.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
...if it won't beep with the old video card, RAM and HD hooked up, it looks like you fried the board...dammit. then what would have fried it? i'm just puzzled as to why.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
and if it is fried then why is it firing up at all. i see the LED on the board light up.

leemajors
03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
and if it is fried then why is it firing up at all. i see the LED on the board light up.
what kind of card is it? AGP or PCI express?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
what kind of card is it? AGP or PCI express?AGP 8x

......and i know AGP is out dated.

leemajors
03-24-2008, 12:38 PM
AGP 8x

......and i know AGP is out dated.
i was just asking because when i still had an AGP mobo i once got a new geforce that needed additional power outside the slot. I felt stupid when it wouldn't boot, then saw the extra power input on the back. fired up fine once i hooked it up to the power supply. but since it won't work with your old card, that's probably not it.

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM

How many power connections to the board, are there 1 or 2?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
How many power connections to the board, are there 1 or 2?just one.

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 02:03 PM
make sure none of the wire contacts have slipped out of the female end...but it still sounds like your MB if fried....could you possibly have grounded it somehow? What kind of memory were you installing?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 02:07 PM
make sure none of the wire contacts have slipped out of the female end...but it still sounds like your MB if fried....could you possibly have grounded it somehow? What kind of memory were you installing?i was installing some DDR sticks. i called Altex up here and i think i got my assurance that i fried it. he asked if i installed the stick backwards and initially i think i did. he said that would fry the chipset. i told him about the hard drive not spinning unless i disconnected it from the motherboard and he said the southbridge is definitely DOA. now off to search for a 478 board. i loved that board

PM5K
03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
i was installing some DDR sticks. i called Altex up here and i think i got my assurance that i fried it. he asked if i installed the stick backwards and initially i think i did. he said that would fry the chipset. i told him about the hard drive not spinning unless i disconnected it from the motherboard and he said the southbridge is definitely DOA. now off to search for a 478 board. i loved that board

Retard....

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Retard....and you're the one named after the most cheesiest-suck ass band of all time. second to n'sync.

PM5K
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
and you're the one named after the most cheesiest-suck ass band of all time. second to n'sync.

I'd rather be named N'Sync than be retarded enough to put memory in backwards...

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM
How'd you get in there? The groves in the RAM wouldn't fit backwards?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
How'd you get in there? The groves in the RAM wouldn't fit backwards?where there's a will there's a way.

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 03:41 PM
where there's a will there's a way.

:lol

Next time hire a pro

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nerd.jpg

baseline bum
03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't think that's even possible to put RAM in the wrong way, unless you chopped an end off or something (there's a groove cut into DDR at about the 60-40 mark or so, and a matching wall on your motherboard's memory interface to prevent that exact problem from happening).

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't think that's even possible to put RAM in the wrong way, unless you chopped an end off or something (there's a groove cut into DDR at about the 60-40 mark or so, and a matching wall on your motherboard's memory interface to prevent that exact problem from happening).believe me. i made it "fit"

phyzik
03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
believe me. i made it "fit"

with what? a hammer?

What your talking about is akin to "forcing" a three prong plug into a 2 prong outlet.. it doesnt fit unless you break the third prong off. Did you cut the ram so there was another groove that allowed it to sit on the board?

Are you going to say "yo homes, to belair!" after a few more posts or what?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
with what? a hammer?

What your talking about is akin to "forcing" a three prong plug into a 2 prong outlet.. it doesnt fit unless you break the third prong off. Did you cut the ram so there was another groove that allowed it to sit on the board?

Are you going to say "yo homes, to belair!" after a few more posts or what?somehow i made it fit. the clips on the end were holding on for dear life

Pistons < Spurs
03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Are you kidding?

While it does take a certain amount of force to properly seat the ram .... there's no way you should have been able to do what you did without realizing it just doesn't fit.

Oh well, lesson learned I guess!

CuckingFunt
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
This story reminds me of the time my grandmother couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to hook up a new monitor when she had "unplugged" the old one without actually unscrewing the plug -- half the pins broke off in the female end of the plug, and what wasn't broken was scratched up beyond recognition.

Several years later, and I still don't know who she sweet-talked to get it repaired on a factory warranty that wasn't intended to cover acts of neglect or user damage.

blizz
03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
he could have pushed down hard enough to break off the little pastic "keyed" piece. who knows. i'd still reset the bios ie. clear the cmos....and see if it works. put in the old video card and no ram...turn it on....does it beep?

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
your new ram = shitty ram not supported probabbly

im also in the process of thinkn about upgrading my comp also

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
The RAM is decent....it was the putting it in backwards that sucked...and yes the South-bridge on the chip-set is probably toast....

Nbadan
03-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Save yourself some trouble, instead of doing it all yourself..aka VLS, put a decent package together - Motherboard, RAM and chip from price-watch (use a prepaid CC) and have the dealer put it together and test it for around $10-15..then all you do is get a local case with a decent power supply, put the board package in there and spend the money you saved on a really, really, nice video card and buy a sound-blaster elite on Ebay....

mouse
03-25-2008, 02:13 AM
The RAM doesn't have to be in all the way as long as just one copper prong touches the wrong receptor you can spark out the board. The first thing you usually fry is the on board sound card. The Intel boards are real sensitive I have placed memory sticks the wrong way a few times when i was drinking and having fun doing an upgrade but I always turn on the PC with my hand on the AC power cord just in case I got a PC-2700 in a PC-100 slot. Do you have a eMachine or a HP? They use the VIA sound it's a tad bit more rugged.

I have seen smoke and pulled out the RAM just in time the Board still worked. Your board has a 7 second time limit in case you get it hot. That is why the soldering of the board is meant to take some heat. But the Sound Chip and Video can go dead and your Board still boots up.

I don't see how the CPU had time to cook if the on board AC supply has a built in fuse in case of shorting out. I would think once the board went dead the signal to the Processor should have been cut off. But if you have AMD it only takes a hot Texas day to cook those bad boys, The Intel chip can take more heat than the AMD Google AMD look at the videos of them cooking the boards look how the Intel chips get red hot but the PC stay running. The AMD gets so hot you can light a cigarette and it fries in 2 to 7 seconds.

Anyway I have a 478 Processor you can have for a 12 pack of Rolling Rock it's 1700 mhz you can get a 478 board for 25.00 dollars 12 dollars shipping.

Funny thing is I am working on this POS pc NbaDan's friend brought me and it's a 478 and its a N1996 the worst MB to find drivers try Goggling N1996 Drivers the sites are few and people are bitching. I was just about to post my story tonight how Microsoft owes each one of us 99.00 to 199.00 dollars each! wait till you here about my class action suit. :lmao

But then again I think why would NbaDan send me his friends PC he could fix himself? Dam this is some 9/11 shit I always wanted to meet NbaDan I wonder if the PC he sent me has a clue.

to be continued.....................call me for the CPU 478 socket 561-9941

mouse
03-25-2008, 03:17 AM
This story reminds me of the time my grandmother couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to hook up a new monitor when she had "unplugged" the old one without actually unscrewing the plug -- half the pins broke off in the female end of the plug, and what wasn't broken was scratched up beyond recognition.

Several years later, and I still don't know who she sweet-talked to get it repaired on a factory warranty that wasn't intended to cover acts of neglect or user damage.

That was interesting to read you should post more.

:wakeup

Nbadan
03-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Funny thing is I am working on this POS pc NbaDan's friend brought me and it's a 478 and its a N1996 the worst MB to find drivers try Goggling N1996 Drivers the sites are few and people are bitching. I was just about to post my story tonight how Microsoft owes each one of us 99.00 to 199.00 dollars each! wait till you here about my class action suit.

:lol

I was wondering if that PC ever got to you....seriously Mouse, with my new commitments I don't do PC repair anymore, so I will send you many more old clients if you want the $$$....

Re-Animator
03-25-2008, 03:42 AM
I have a Nike box 1993-1998 NBA rookies if you stop by for a beer.

Tree hugger
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
How many power connections to the board, are there 1 or 2?

Hey Nbadan your friend gave me a 50 to fix his pc do you want some of it since you gave him my number?

:wakeup

Viva Las Espuelas
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
The RAM doesn't have to be in all the way as long as just one copper prong touches the wrong receptor you can spark out the board. The first thing you usually fry is the on board sound card. The Intel boards are real sensitive I have placed memory sticks the wrong way a few times when i was drinking and having fun doing an upgrade but I always turn on the PC with my hand on the AC power cord just in case I got a PC-2700 in a PC-100 slot. Do you have a eMachine or a HP? They use the VIA sound it's a tad bit more rugged.

I have seen smoke and pulled out the RAM just in time the Board still worked. Your board has a 7 second time limit in case you get it hot. That is why the soldering of the board is meant to take some heat. But the Sound Chip and Video can go dead and your Board still boots up.

I don't see how the CPU had time to cook if the on board AC supply has a built in fuse in case of shorting out. I would think once the board went dead the signal to the Processor should have been cut off. But if you have AMD it only takes a hot Texas day to cook those bad boys, The Intel chip can take more heat than the AMD Google AMD look at the videos of them cooking the boards look how the Intel chips get red hot but the PC stay running. The AMD gets so hot you can light a cigarette and it fries in 2 to 7 seconds.

Anyway I have a 478 Processor you can have for a 12 pack of Rolling Rock it's 1700 mhz you can get a 478 board for 25.00 dollars 12 dollars shipping.

Funny thing is I am working on this POS pc NbaDan's friend brought me and it's a 478 and its a N1996 the worst MB to find drivers try Goggling N1996 Drivers the sites are few and people are bitching. I was just about to post my story tonight how Microsoft owes each one of us 99.00 to 199.00 dollars each! wait till you here about my class action suit. :lmao

But then again I think why would NbaDan send me his friends PC he could fix himself? Dam this is some 9/11 shit I always wanted to meet NbaDan I wonder if the PC he sent me has a clue.

to be continued.....................call me for the CPU 478 socket 561-9941

it's a pc frankenstein. albatron board. audigy 2 sound card. 6800 video card. one thing i failed to mention is that i smelled something burning. no smoke and the board didn't start beeping like crazy, so i thought it was ok. looking back it was stupid. i was just in a hurry. that's all. does your 478 board support a p4 3.2ghz HT chip. agp 8x. ddr400 memory. then i'm in. i'll be in sa in a couple of weeks for a day. let's talk.

Smackie Chan
03-26-2008, 03:03 AM
I installed the 478 in a eMachine 40 minutes ago, the old school shit flies off the shelf. my phone never rang,so I used it, sorry!
You want me to get a board off Craig's list? or look around my Apartment?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Misc/IMAG1125.jpg

Nbadan
03-26-2008, 03:25 AM
it's a pc frankenstein. albatron board. audigy 2 sound card. 6800 video card. one thing i failed to mention is that i smelled something burning. no smoke and the board didn't start beeping like crazy, so i thought it was ok. looking back it was stupid. i was just in a hurry. that's all. does your 478 board support a p4 3.2ghz HT chip. agp 8x. ddr400 memory. then i'm in. i'll be in sa in a couple of weeks for a day. let's talk.

The core is decent, except for the 8xAGP, just get a new board and fan off E-bay.

Nbadan
03-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Hey Nbadan your friend gave me a 50 to fix his pc do you want some of it since you gave him my number?

...$50 bucks...that tight SOB....

Smackie Chan
03-26-2008, 03:34 AM
ok I was saving this shit for the tech forum, but fuck it..............
All you have to do is send your board back to the manufactures they will send you a replacement board in 21 days.

They are so overwhelmed with business they want you to just be happy.

I have seen it happen. I was the one of the first persons to figure out if you canceled net flicks you would get a sweet deal offered! :lmao

It's like the "slip N Fall" of the tech world! You not posting how there Board Sucks is worth more than sending you a new one by some Asian 13 year old in Malaysia!

Most boards have 5 year warranty they don't give a rats ass how it got smoked they send it to China to have some Mexican living in Canada using some person living in Fargo North Dakota's ss# really worry about it.

That is why i want to start a class action suit towards Microsoft for giving us windows without giving us Advast! Using IE is like walking backwards into an all Sex offenders prison with a pocket full of Boys club magazines.

The 125.00 you pay geek squad to fix your pc was not worth the 99.00 you spent on the windows software. Most legit places won't look at your laptop for less than 60.00 dollars.

This could have been avoided but the $$ was to great to turn down.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Misc/motherboard.gif

MannyIsGod
03-26-2008, 05:06 AM
:lmao I can't believe you managed to put RAM in backwards. I mean, wtf did you think the grooves were there for? Did the instructions require a fucking sledge hammer?

Dude, make all the monkey/gorilla jokes you fucking want. I have the satisfaction of knowing that you did something dumb enough to make you stupider than any fucking chimp in the San Antonio Zoo.

Looking like a gorilla >>>>> being dumber than one. Props.

timvp
03-26-2008, 07:03 AM
:lmao I can't believe you managed to put RAM in backwards. I mean, wtf did you think the grooves were there for? Did the instructions require a fucking sledge hammer?

Dude, make all the monkey/gorilla jokes you fucking want. I have the satisfaction of knowing that you did something dumb enough to make you stupider than any fucking chimp in the San Antonio Zoo.

Looking like a gorilla >>>>> being dumber than one. Props.Ben Roflisberger.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM

Looking like a gorilla >>>>> being dumber than one. Props.at least i know better next time. you, however....................
case closed
bigalee bigalee

Viva Las Espuelas
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
i know everybody was concerned, but i got a new motherboard and it fired up. this time i took my time. thank you

mouse
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
It's up to the topic starter to give us updates. you want us to bump every topic someone makes just to show our concern? I know at least 80 topics of people asking what Apartments are the best? what name should I name my Dog? and you think those asshats would come back to tell us what they named there dog, or where they moved?

If you got a new board that means the Processor was still good right?

Do you still have your old board?

And what was the cost after the dust settled?

Viva Las Espuelas
04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
It's up to the topic starter to give us updates. you want us to bump every topic someone makes just to show our concern? I know at least 80 topics of people asking what Apartments are the best? what name should I name my Dog? and you think those asshats would come back to tell us what they named there dog, or where they moved?

If you got a new board that means the Processor was still good right?

Do you still have your old board?

And what was the cost after the dust settled?oh the processor was good. every thing is good, but either the memory i bought doesn't jive with my new board or i fried it along with the other board. i don't think the new memory is fried because i'm using my old memory that was in my last board when it fried. did you follow that? the new board costed me $45. it's a pretty good board. it's an intel d865perc board. the old board was ripped to shreds last night.

Brianna
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
the old board was ripped to shreds last night.
How?

mouse
04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
the new board costed me $45. it's a pretty good board. it's an intel d865perc board..

How do you get a new board for 45 dollars where do you shop?

Al Gore
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
How do you get a new board for 45 dollars where do you shop?

Psssssst! it's called Home Depot boards are like 8.00 dollars each!

mrsmaalox
04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
How?

Viva has a pet gorilla.

CuckingFunt
04-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Viva has a pet gorilla.You shouldn't let him call you that, machete.

sabar
04-11-2008, 01:38 AM
$45 for an ancient mobo? Did it come with a processor?
I have pentium4 mobos rotting in storage, plus the best in graphics technology, an ATI Rage 128!

I didn't know anyone was still clinging onto this technology.

MannyIsGod
04-11-2008, 02:57 AM
:lol even more at this thread now.

Nbadan
04-11-2008, 03:10 AM
I have pentium4 mobos rotting in storage, plus the best in graphics technology, an ATI Rage 128!

I didn't know anyone was still clinging onto this technology.

I agree, I paid $25 for a 775 board w/DDR2 support and I thought that was too much..

Aunt Ester
04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Everyone keeps talking about 25 dollar boards and I see no links I say bullshit mutha fukers.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
How?como la gente

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 08:58 AM
How do you get a new board for 45 dollars where do you shop?well it's "new" to me. i got it off a dude on craigslist.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 08:59 AM
:lol even more at this thread now.:lol even more at your avatar now.

bigalee bigalee

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 09:02 AM

I didn't know anyone was still clinging onto this technology.i know it's ancient. i just don't want to but a new processor, memory, graphics card. i have a life and don't play everquest all damn day. oops did i say that too loud. also everyone on ebay is asking for $40 all the way up to $100 for a similar type board and that doesn't include shipping.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Everyone keeps talking about 25 dollar boards and I see no links I say bullshit mutha fukers.http://www.mysticgames.com/famouspeople/pictures/ReddFoxx.jpg
how about i put 5 of these across yo lips

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Viva has a pet gorilla.yeah. i ran out of bananas.

bigalee bigalee

MannyIsGod
04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
yeah. i ran out of bananas.

bigalee bigaleeI got some old out of date rotten ones you can buy for 45 dollars.

mrsmaalox
04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
yeah. i ran out of bananas.
bigalee bigalee
Aww, he's so cute!

http://www.cheap-computers-guide.com/image-files/gorilla.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I got some old out of date rotten ones you can buy for 45 dollars.45 dollars?! wow. that's pretty good for being touched by oh so righteous hands.