PDA

View Full Version : SIRIUS and XM merger done

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
-- The Justice Department has approved a merger between Sirius Satellite Radio and rival XM Satellite Radio.

CNN

Finally :toast :toast :toast

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
CRIKEY!!

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Justice Department has approved Sirius Satellite Radio's $5 billion buyout of rival XM Satellite Radio.
The merger was approved despite opposition from consumer groups and an intense lobbying campaign by the land-based radio industry.

Regulators said the merger is not likely to substantially hurt competition or consumers

ComfortablyNumb
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
About time.

ATRAIN
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
hell yes now I can finally get one.

midgetonadonkey
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I can't wait to listen to all the MLB games with my Sirius radio.

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
hell yeah! I have both in my car, now I can put my sportster in my house

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:28 PM

I Think I would rather squat naked over a blender than listen to an MLB game but thankfully, regardless of taste, this will benefit everyone.

ATRAIN

YES thats what I am talking about. That was the only thing keeping me from getting Sirius.

ATRAIN
I Think I would rather squat naked over a blender than listen to an MLB game but thankfully, regardless of taste, this will benefit everyone.

lol

Evan
sportster in my house

I have a sportser 4 coming in the mail...how is it?

I have a starmate right now.

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
as first order of business, I would scap Opie and Anthony, AltNation 21 and replace it with ethel, and Lucy 54 and keep Lithium

AlamoSpursFan
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Finally...Dale Jr.'s show on the same station as Smoke and Yoke. Make it happen, Sirius peeps!!!

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I have a sportser 4 coming in the mail...how is it?

I have a starmate right now.

it's pretty cool, the FM transmitter sucks more than anything in the world...but if you hook it up directly it's fine

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I hope they kick Opie and Anthony back on regular radio where they belong

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:32 PM
as first order of business, I would scap Opie and Anthony, AltNation 21 and replace it with ethel, and Lucy 54 and keep Lithium

I was a HUGE fan of ALT 21 but the select suck now. Far too repetitive. I do not like Alice in Chains that much........ :bang

Love me some left of center now. :toast

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
it's pretty cool, the FM transmitter sucks more than anything in the world...but if you hook it up directly it's fine

Hmmmm

Luckily my reception has never been an issue where I live(Dallas.)

Thanks.

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I was a HUGE fan of ALT 21 but the select suck now. Far too repetitive. I do not like Alice in Chains that much........ :bang

Love me some left of center now. :toast

Left of Center and ethel are both very good stations. Altnation is just emo nation....how can they consider Fall Out Boy alternative?! wtf

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm

Luckily my reception has never been an issue where I live(Dallas.)

Thanks.

it's not the reception, it's the transmitter that sends the signal to your car's radio though a FM station. You get signal perfect, it's getting that signal to play through your speakers that sucks

AlamoSpursFan
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I haven't checked out the XM stations on DirecTv. What do they have comparable to HairNation 23? Gotta have my 80's Hair Metal!

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Left of Center and ethel are both very good stations. Altnation is just emo nation....how can they consider Fall Out Boy alternative?! wtf

Emo Nation? hahaha...that's actually a perfect desciption. I heard some modern sounding Morrissey on there last month.

Can't wait to see how this shakes out.

Howard Stern is probably a billionaire now. He owns a nice piece of SIRIUS.

Evan
03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
it's not the reception, it's the transmitter that sends the signal to your car's radio though a FM station. You get signal perfect, it's getting that signal to play through your speakers that sucks

Don't like hearing that. If I have issues I am going with a Starmate 4. I have 2 and love it.

blackbucket
03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice. Now I don't have to buy a converter kit for the XM in my Chevrolet suv. I was about to order one from tssradio.com. Soon I'll be able to listen to Howard 100 and 101 on XM!

robino2001
03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Will be interesting to see if Howard throws a party on his show tomorrow regarding the completion. This has been a popular topic on his show for months lately as he kept bitching about it. I believe the news came out too late to be on today's show, no? I only listen to the replays for about 30 minutes driving home each evening from work.

blackbucket
03-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, I think it was too late for today's show. I didn't hear them address it. It should be interesting tomorrow. I think he will give major credit to Jim Cramer who has been on the warpath about how wrong this is and what a travesty this is that it wasn't approved a year ago. Cramer really put a spotlight on this.

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Will be interesting to see if Howard throws a party on his show tomorrow regarding the completion. This has been a popular topic on his show for months lately as he kept bitching about it. I believe the news came out too late to be on today's show, no? I only listen to the replays for about 30 minutes driving home each evening from work.

Jim Florentine is coming on tomorrow.....that is a bigger deal thank the merger in terms of the show

blackbucket
03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Jim Florentine is coming on tomorrow.....that is a bigger deal thank the merger in terms of the show

I forgot about that. I think both will get major attention. Besides, Jim and Robin won't say anything personal anyways. She will keep the lid on that stuff.

AlamoSpursFan
03-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, I think it was too late for today's show. I didn't hear them address it. It should be interesting tomorrow. I think he will give major credit to Jim Cramer who has been on the warpath about how wrong this is and what a travesty this is that it wasn't approved a year ago. Cramer really put a spotlight on this.

The same Jim Cramer that told everybody to keep their money in Bear Stearns?

:lol

Shelly
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Hmm...now maybe my stock will finally go up!

MaNuMaNiAc
03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
My parents have Sirius stock as well... how much do you predict this merger is going to affect stock prices?

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
My parents have Sirius stock as well... how much do you predict this merger is going to affect stock prices?

not enough to affect the people that bought a ton once Stern came over. Sirius is a $4 stock at best

03-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I haven't checked out the XM stations on DirecTv. What do they have comparable to HairNation 23? Gotta have my 80's Hair Metal!

XM41-The Boneyard

MaNuMaNiAc
03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
not enough to affect the people that bought a ton once Stern came over. Sirius is a $4 stock at best$4? interesting... Not much of a change from where it is now

Medvedenko
03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
So what happens now...I have both Sirius (home) and XM in my car...do they amalgamate the channels and kick off the redundant ones....confused.

I like O and A and love Howard....so do we get them both.

AlamoSpursFan
03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
So what happens now...I have both Sirius (home) and XM in my car...do they amalgamate the channels and kick off the redundant ones....confused.

I like O and A and love Howard....so do we get them both.

it will be awhile before we notice anything. the FCC still has to approve it

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
UPDATE:

FCC head backs Sirius-XM deal
Chairman Kevin Martin is recommending the $5 billion deal in exchange for concessions.
June 16, 2008: 3:54 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission is recommending approval of the $5 billion merger between the nation's two satellite radio broadcasters in exchange for concessions that include turning over 24 channels to noncommercial and minority programming, The Associated Press has learned.

That condition - along with others, including a three-year price freeze for consumers - convinced FCC Chairman Kevin Martin on Sunday to recommend approval for Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s (SIRI) buyout of rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc (XMSR). The deal affects millions of subscribers who pay to hear music, news, sports and talk programming, largely free from advertising, in homes and vehicles.

Martin's recommendation sets the stage for a final vote on the closely watched merger, which could occur any time after his recommendation is circulated among his fellow commissioners.

The other four commissioners have, for the most part, kept their views on the deal to themselves. Unlike most FCC decisions, there is no clear indication on how the vote will go.

The proposed merger has been in a holding pattern during an FCC approval process that has gone on for more than a year.

Martin said the conditions will make the combination of the two companies good for consumers.

"As I've indicated before, this is an unusual situation," Martin said in a statement. "I am recommending that with the voluntary commitments they (the companies) have offered, on balance, this transaction would be in the public interest."

The companies also agreed to an "open radio" standard, meant to create competition among manufacturers of satellite radios, according to FCC officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because the agreement has not yet been made public.

Other conditions are similar to promises made by Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin last year.

They include a three-year freeze on prices and packages that include programs from both services, including a so-called "a la carte" offering that would be available within three months of the close of the deal.

The FCC's analysis has gone on twice as long as the agency prefers in merger reviews, largely because the XM-Sirius deal faces a special hurdle.

To ensure competition, the FCC prohibited the merger of the only two license holders when it created the industry in 1997.

Martin is recommending approval despite intense opposition from the land-based radio industry and most consumer groups, who say the deal will create a monopoly.

The buyout was approved by the Justice Department in March.

The satellite radio deal has drawn an unusual amount of scrutiny from Capitol Hill, where the National Association of Broadcasters has fought an expensive advertising and lobbying campaign to block approval.

The buyout received shareholder approval in November. The companies said the merger will save hundreds of millions of dollars in operating costs, savings that will ultimately benefit their customers.

Karmazin has pledged that the combined company will offer pricing plans ranging from $6.99 per month for 50 channels offered by one service, up to $16.99 a month, where subscribers would keep their existing service plus choose channels offered by the other service.

Karmazin also said he will allow customers to choose and pay for only the channels they want. The "a la carte" option will require new radios, the companies have said.

In addition, the companies have pledged to offer radios that are capable of receiving both services within one year.

An "interoperable radio" requirement was part of the two providers' license agreement 11 years ago, but the companies have never brought one to market, a point regularly brought up by merger opponents.

The thorniest part of the negotiations was over how much radio spectrum the companies would turn over to noncommercial and minority broadcasters.

The companies agreed to turn over 8% of their satellite capacity, which works out to 12 channels apiece for noncommercial programmers and for those who have "not been traditionally represented" in radio, according to Martin.

The details on how this system would work have yet to be worked out, according to FCC officials.

Both companies have lost money each year since they launched their satellites, but have not said the merger was necessary to keep them afloat.

Washington-based XM has about 9 million subscribers while New York City-based Sirius has about 8.3 million subscribers.

Find this article at:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/16/technology/sirius_xm.ap/index.htm?eref=ib_topstories

ATRAIN
06-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Glad I waited to get one since the ala carte option will require a new radio.

midgetonadonkey
06-16-2008, 09:27 AM
That is fucking ridiculous. It has taken way too long for this merger to get done and for them to have to set aside 24 channels for non profit organizations is stupid. What special consessions did Exxon and Mobile have to make in order for them to merge?

This fucking government is being run by lobbiests and it makes me fucking sick.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2008, 09:38 AM
I wonder how this development will affect stock prices

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
That is fucking ridiculous. It has taken way too long for this merger to get done and for them to have to set aside 24 channels for non profit organizations is stupid. What special consessions did Exxon and Mobile have to make in order for them to merge?

I think having the non-commercial and minority programming will bring extra listeners to the company at little cost to the new company. They were already talking about eliminating some repeat-style channels anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree this has been far too drawn out at the behest of the NAB and others.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
And as far as Exxon/Mobil goes, there were other oil companies out there. There aren't other satellite radio providers.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Hmm, I sit corrected about the minority programming.

Apparently, there was lobbying from organizations like Rainbow/PUSH to dedicate 20 percent to noncommerical/minority.

midgetonadonkey
06-16-2008, 10:12 AM
And as far as Exxon/Mobil goes, there were other oil companies out there. There aren't other satellite radio providers.

Yeah but satellite radio isn't a necessity like gas is.

AlamoSpursFan
06-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah but satellite radio isn't a necessity like gas is.

It is if you're a truck driver.

:lol

I put my Sirius in even if I'm delivering a load next door. I'm not kidding either. I'm addicted.

N.Y. Johnny
06-16-2008, 10:13 PM

I agree, I worked at XM :lol and it was drawn out way too damn long, but its good to see the gangsters in Washington let them merge. Its probably a good thing too that other companies will have a little more freedom making the interoperable recievers so that it can make it a little more attractive to buy a reciever again. Maybe a bad thing for HD Radio as they were pushing to also have a condition of automakers MAKE HD radio available with SDARS