PDA

View Full Version : Duncan vs Russell, Jordan, & Magic

Galileo
03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Duncan vs Russell, Jordan, & Magic

These are the four players in NBA history to lead their teams to four or more NBA championships.

In this short essay, I will analyze how much help these players got, to more carefully assess their accomplishments. I will count how many teammates these players had who were either all-stars, or 1st or 2nd team all-NBA. For 1999, which had no All-Star game, I will count players who made the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all-NBA as all-stars.

My help points system is:

all-star player = 1
2nd team all-NBA = 2 (assuming they're an all-star, otherwise 1)
1st team all-NBA = 3 (assuming they're an all-star, otherwise 2)

Tim Duncan

all-star teammates > none

all-star teammates > Manu Ginobili

all-star teammates > Tony Parker

TOTAL

2 all-star teammates
0 all-NBA teammates

2 points

0.5 points/championship

Michael Jordan

all-star teammates > Scottie Pippen

all-NBA 2nd team > Pippen

all-NBA 1st team > Pippen

all-NBA 2nd team > Pippen

all-start teammates > none

TOTAL

4 all-star teammates
2 2nd team all-NBA teammate
1 1st team all-NBA teammates

8 points

1.33 points per championship

Magic Johnson

all-star teammates > Kareem Abdul-Jabber

all-NBA 1st team > Kareem Abdul-Jabber

all-NBA 2nd team > Kareem Abdul-Jabber

all-star teammates > James Worthy, Kareem Abdul-Jabber

all-star teammates > James Worthy, Kareem Abdul-Jabber

TOTAL

7 all-star teammates
1 2nd team all-NBA teammate
1 1st team all-NBA teammate

10 points

2 points per championship

Bill Russell

all-star teammates > Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Tom Heinsohn

all-NBA 1st team > Cousy, Sharman

all-star teammates > Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman

all-NBA 1st team > Cousy, Sharman

all-star teammates > Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman

all-NBA 2nd team > Sharman

all-NBA 1st team > Bob Cousy

all-star teammates > Bob Cousy, Tom Heinsohn

all-NBA 2nd team > Heinsohn

all-NBA 1st team > Bob Cousy

all-star teammates > Bob Cousy, Tom Heinsohn, Sam Jones

all-NBA 2nd team > Heinsohn, Cousy

all-star teammates > Bob Cousy, Tom Heinsohn

all-NBA 2nd team > Cousy, Heinsohn

all-star teammates > Tom Heinsohn, Sam Jones

all-NBA 2nd team > Heinsohn, Havlicek

all-star teammates > Sam Jones

all-NBA 2nd team > Jones

all-star teammates > Sam Jones, John Havlicek

all-NBA 2nd team > Jones, Havlicek

all-star teammates > Sam Jones, John Havlicek

all-NBA 2nd team > Havlicek

all-star teammates > John Havlicek

all-NBA 2nd team > Havlicek

TOTAL

22 all-star teammates
13 2nd team all-NBA teammates
6 1st team all-NBA teammates

47 points

4.27 points per championship

Conclusion

Tim Duncan got less help that any other superstar in winning his NBA championships, by a significant margin.

If Duncan can lead the Spurs to another NBA title this year, with no all-star teammates, I can see no way to not argue that Duncan is equal to the greatest players of all time.

If Duncan can win two more, he's the best ever, hands down.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
So you're basing Tim's success on how Tony and Manu's all star appearances?

GrandeDavid
03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Go Tim!

PacerFan
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Makes absolutely no sense. There were far less teams when Russell played, so the odds just based on numbers alone would say there would be more all stars on the Celtics. This was a waste of time IMO.

Galileo
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM
So you're basing Tim's success on how Tony and Manu's all star appearances?

In a way, yes.

While Manu and Tony are very good players, they are not frequent all-stars, nor all-NBA performers.

In my opinion, the greatest quality of manu and Tony (and Bowen), are their abilities to play team ball with Duncan. Even David Robinson did this.

duncan228
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM
I can see no way to not argue that Duncan is equal to the greatest players of all time.

I see no way to argue this now.
Duncan is one of the greatest players ever.
Whether he wins anymore will only add to it.

It doesn't matter to me where he ends up on the top ten list.
He's already there now.

Galileo
03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Makes absolutely no sense. There were far less teams when Russell played, so the odds just based on numbers alone would say there would be more all stars on the Celtics. This was a waste of time IMO.

When Russell played, there were only 8 teams, so you had a 1/8 chance to win each year.

Now it is 1/30 chance per year.

When Russell started playing, you had only two rounds to win, now you have to win four rounds.

Bottom line, Russell had more help than Timmy.

Galileo
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM

He's already there now.

Spurs fans know this, but many NBA pundits still peddle Kobe and KG as equal to Duncan, and Duncan well below Magic, Jordan, and Russell (and Bird, and sometimes Shaq).

I don't agree and am providing empirical data to support.

dbreiden83080
03-24-2008, 06:39 PM

He's already there now.

Exactly he is a top 10 player ever. To me wherever you put Shaq, Tim needs to be one spot ahead of him as he has won just as much at a younger age wth less help. Shaq never won anything until Kobe became a great player. Tim won a title in 2003 as the only great player on his team with D-Rob at the end and Tony and Manu young and inconsistant. Plus they went through Shaq and Kobe to get that title. Tim has 4 titles, 3 finals MVP's, multiple league MVP's on the all D team and all NBA teams a millions times. That is the resume of a top ten player ever.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Galileo...I like the effort...I really do.

I don't really think there's any objective formula to determine Timmy's overall contribution because many of the important intangibles of any championship caliber player can't be measured in the box score.

But if you wanted to attempt to quantify Tim's contribution I'd look at the hard statistics before I'd look at which of his teammates were voted to All-Star games or All NBA teams. What's Timmy's statistical impact to the championship teams vs. the other guys mentioned? That's what I'd focus on I think.

dbreiden83080
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Spurs fans know this, but many NBA pundits still peddle Kobe and KG as equal to Duncan, and Duncan well below Magic, Jordan, and Russell (and Bird, and sometimes Shaq).

I don't agree and am providing empirical data to support.

Kobe i do put in that top 10 as well, or very close to it. KG anyone who thinks he can touch Timmy all time is just saying so to be a Duncan hater. It is not a statement based in reality. Why don't i just say that Ewing and Barkley are on the same level as Hakeem while i am at it.

Brutalis
03-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey Gal, how are you basing that one teammates AS appearances? Why do they matter when it's TD vs them, not their teammates?

And you said the are not all-NBA or consistent All Stars... well,.. who's fault is that? Theirs? Teams and owners? No, it's the biased fans. Manu is an AS this year whether the books and records show it. Any expert would nod to that statement.

TP not so much, but it's harder for a guy of his size to do what a guy Manu's size can do, like take it strong to the basket and finish with and1s. TP settles on floaters and bank shots. Not saying one is over the other but they are different positions and sizes so it's irrational comparing them. Just saying the supporting cast shouldn't figure into any margin of who is equal to who, historically speaking of TD.

Brutalis
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Kobe i do put in that top 10 as well, or very close to it. KG anyone who thinks he can touch Timmy all time is just saying so to be a Duncan hater. It is not a statement based in reality. Why don't i just say that Ewing and Barkley are on the same level as Hakeem while i am at it.
Kobe is just as legendary as Tim. No rational person can say otherwise, especially if you wanna bring up titles.

Timmy is my boy and all but he has always had a cast, Kobe has not at times and still made playoffs with winning records. Both are easy top 10 players of all time, no question about it.

Galileo
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Hey Gal, how are you basing that one teammates AS appearances? Why do they matter when it's TD vs them, not their teammates?

And you said the are not all-NBA or consistent All Stars... well,.. who's fault is that? Theirs? Teams and owners? No, it's the biased fans. Manu is an AS this year whether the books and records show it. Any expert would nod to that statement.

TP not so much, but it's harder for a guy of his size to do what a guy Manu's size can do, like take it strong to the basket and finish with and1s. TP settles on floaters and bank shots. Not saying one is over the other but they are different positions and sizes so it's irrational comparing them. Just saying the supporting cast shouldn't figure into any margin of who is equal to who, historically speaking of TD.

Maybe Manu should be an all-star this year but, did you read all the numbers?

Pippen missed TWO all-star games, out of Jordan's six championships.

Did you see how many all-star and all-league teammates Russell had? He had 22 all-star teammates in 11 years. It dwarfs the Spurs.

Brutalis
03-24-2008, 06:57 PM
^ It shouldn't make any difference when comparing TD to those legends. Manu and Parker have jack to do with that.

Galileo
03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Kobe is just as legendary as Tim. No rational person can say otherwise, especially if you wanna bring up titles.

Timmy is my boy and all but he has always had a cast, Kobe has not at times and still made playoffs with winning records. Both are easy top 10 players of all time, no question about it.

Kobe is not a top 10 alltime NBA player.

You'd have to bump 20 of these players:

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. Bill Russell* 1.0000
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 1.0000
3. Michael Jordan 1.0000
4. Wilt Chamberlain* 1.0000
5. Magic Johnson* 1.0000
6. Larry Bird* 1.0000
7. Bob Pettit* 1.0000
8. Bob Cousy* 1.0000
9. Shaquille O'Neal 1.0000
10. Tim Duncan 1.0000
11. Karl Malone 1.0000
12. Oscar Robertson* 1.0000
13. Moses Malone* 1.0000
14. John Havlicek* 1.0000
15. Allen Iverson 1.0000
16. Hakeem Olajuwon 1.0000
17. Charles Barkley* 1.0000
18. Julius Erving* 1.0000
19. Jerry West* 1.0000
20. David Robinson 1.0000
21. Kevin Garnett 1.0000
22. Dave Cowens* 0.9999
23. Elgin Baylor* 0.9999
24. George Mikan* 0.9999
25. Willis Reed* 0.9999
26. Sam Jones* 0.9998
27. Bob McAdoo* 0.9998
28. Tom Heinsohn* 0.9997
29. Kobe Bryant 0.9996

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

DAF86
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
haha, we have our very own john hollinger rigth here!
good intentions but the only thing that this formula proves is that big market teams put more players in the all star game and that manu is the most underrated player ever.

mystargtr34
03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
1. Jordan
2. Russell
3. Magic
4. Kareem
5. Wilt
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Hakeem
9. Shaq
10. Oscar

Theres yours top ten in order.

dbreiden83080
03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Jordan
Russell
Magic
Kareem
Wilt
Bird
Duncan
Hakeem
Shaq
Oscar

I have Duncan ahead of Bird all time.

mystargtr34
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Timmy is my boy but some people forget just how good Larry Bird was. But, i dont have a major problem with people putting Tim there.

There has been a group of 6 untouchables ever since Mike was annointed the greatest and then there has been abit of a gap. Those 6 have been put in alot of different orders but the consensus is that they were the 6 untouchables...

Jordan
Russell
Magic
Kareem
Wilt
Bird

It might have to be the big 7 soon.

duncan228
03-24-2008, 07:33 PM
I think the fourth Title moves Duncan ahead of Bird.
And I'm not forgetting how great Bird was, he's the reason I'm an NBA fan.

Galileo
03-24-2008, 07:33 PM
1. Jordan
2. Russell
3. Magic
4. Kareem
5. Wilt
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Hakeem
9. Shaq
10. Oscar

Here's my top ten:

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Duncan
6. Bird
7. Cousy
8. Shaq
9. Wilt
10. Karl Malone

Duncan maves past Magic & Russell with another title.

mystargtr34
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree with most of the guys there but...

Karl Malone doesnt belong in the top 10... hes a cheap shot choke artist... he simply couldnt get it done when it mattered.. he put up great numbers in the regular season but nearly every single statistical category took a noticable hit in the playoffs despite playing more minutes. The biggest was his FG%... it was in the mid 40's in the playoffs.

Hakeem should be well ahead of Cousy and Malone... and i think Wilt is way too low.

dbreiden83080
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I think the fourth Title moves Duncan ahead of Bird.
And I'm not forgetting how great Bird was, he's the reason I'm an NBA fan.

Agreed and to me Duncan's impact on both ends of the floor combined with the titles puts him ahead of Bird. Bird was a fantastic offensive player, passer, good rebounder, great leader but he was never in the same league as Duncan on D. You can double Timmy all game and he can dominate the game on the other end. Bird could never do that.

Galileo
03-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I apologize for the error. I forgot to mention that George Mikan lead his team to four NBA Championships as well. Please accept my apologies for any harm this may have caused you.

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Galileo you're a fucking idiot, you can't explain everything in sports with some stupid flawed mathematical formula you came up with. Basketball isn't all about numbers there are too many intangibles and you are an absolute idiot if you think Tim Duncan is the best basketball player of all time. Top 10? Sounds fair, you could definately make a case for it. But no way in hell is he the best no matter how many idiotic formulas u come up with.

Magic_Johnson
03-30-2008, 03:04 PM

Kobe will have a cast for 4-5 years now.
If he doesn't get a ring with this cast, he's not even top 20.

hitmanyr2k
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Agreed and to me Duncan's impact on both ends of the floor combined with the titles puts him ahead of Bird. Bird was a fantastic offensive player, passer, good rebounder, great leader but he was never in the same league as Duncan on D. You can double Timmy all game and he can dominate the game on the other end. Bird could never do that.

When it comes to consistency players like Jordan, Magic, and Bird shit all over Duncan. I'm sorry but Duncan doesn't bring it everynight and this is a fact. Players like Jordan, Magic and Bird wanted everyone in that building to know they were the best players on the floor. Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players which makes me hard on him also and sometimes he'll bring a pussified game against inferior competition that sickens the hell out of me. I don't think he's anywhere near Larry Bird. If he played like he gave a damn more often...maybe.

Galileo
03-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Galileo you're a fucking idiot, you can't explain everything in sports with some stupid flawed mathematical formula you came up with. Basketball isn't all about numbers there are too many intangibles and you are an absolute idiot if you think Tim Duncan is the best basketball player of all time. Top 10? Sounds fair, you could definately make a case for it. But no way in hell is he the best no matter how many idiotic formulas u come up with.

typical banter from a mavs fan. I don't need a formula to prove that the Kidd trade sucked.

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 03:20 PM
typical banter from a mavs fan. I don't need a formula to prove that the Kidd trade sucked.

It's not banter, you cannot prove everything in basketball with some stupid made up mathematical formula. In your dream world, the Mavs look pretty good on paper we see how that's working out. :rolleyes And everyone knows the Kidd trade sucked i'm ready to rebuild i've given up weeks ago you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Oh, and by the way, Kobe is the best basketball player in the world today. Deal with it.

duncan228
03-30-2008, 03:28 PM
:lol I thought I was the biggest Duncan fan on the board.
But I don't think he's the best ever.
Top ten, yes. But not 1.

Galileo
03-30-2008, 03:37 PM
It's not banter, you cannot prove everything in basketball with some stupid made up mathematical formula. In your dream world, the Mavs look pretty good on paper we see how that's working out. :rolleyes And everyone knows the Kidd trade sucked i'm ready to rebuild i've given up weeks ago you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Oh, and by the way, Kobe is the best basketball player in the world today. Deal with it.

Ebok better than Duncan? Egads!

:pctoss

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Ebok better than Duncan? Egads!

:pctoss

Whatever helps you cope.. :toast

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Sorry to derail the thread but here's my top 10:

Jordan
Magic
Hakeem(in his short prime)
Kobe
Shaq
Wilt
Russel
Robertson
Bird
Duncan

Galileo
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Whatever helps you cope.. :toast

Svam;

How do you and Ebok cope with home losses to the mighty Bobcats and rugged Grizzlies. What a joke.

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Svam;

How do you and Ebok cope with home losses to the mighty Bobcats and rugged Grizzlies. What a joke.

The real Galileo wouldn't resort to lowly team smack, he would come up with about 10 formulas on how Kobe sucks. Get busy bitch.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
:lmao

Warlord23
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Sorry to derail the thread but here's my top 10:

Jordan
Magic
Hakeem(in his short prime)
Kobe
Shaq
Wilt
Russel
Robertson
Bird
Duncan

You think Kobe and Shaq are better than Oscar, Wilt, Russell and Bird? Did you start watching the NBA in 2000?

dbreiden83080
03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
When it comes to consistency players like Jordan, Magic, and Bird shit all over Duncan. I'm sorry but Duncan doesn't bring it everynight and this is a fact. Players like Jordan, Magic and Bird wanted everyone in that building to know they were the best players on the floor. Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players which makes me hard on him also and sometimes he'll bring a pussified game against inferior competition that sickens the hell out of me. I don't think he's anywhere near Larry Bird. If he played like he gave a damn more often...maybe.

Duncan brings what he needs to in the Reg season to see to it he can go full throttle come playoff time. He is going to be 32 years old the man is not 25 anymore. If he brought it all for 82 games and had nothing left for the playoffs then what good would that do anybody??? He has won 2 reg season MVP's easily could have been and should have been 3, as he was the MVP in 99 if you ask me. He is amazing in the playoffs every single year, whether they win the title or not. Tim is a better all around player than Bird was he just is. He can dominate a game on both ends the way Bird never could. When Bird had an off shooting night his impact was not as great as Duncan as he can shoot bad and dominate on D and still give people headaches.

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
You think Kobe and Shaq are better than Oscar, Wilt, Russell and Bird? Did you start watching the NBA in 2000?

It's hard to compare players from different eras. I say this because I believe the league is more competitive and those players wouldn't be as dominant today as they were. I can't see Wilt out muscling Shaq for 25 rebounds per freakin game. And Kobe is so underrated its ridiculous, he's definately just a short step below Jordan at this point, maybe even more skilled but lacking Jordan's mental toughness and will to win.

If we are going by stats alone and how badly they dominated their competition in their time period, then it's gotta be Wilt hands down. No one will ever put up 50ppg and grab 25 rpg ever again.

Agloco
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
It's nearly impossible to compare across generations. There are too many variables that your model neglects.

FromWayDowntown
03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Kobe is not a top 10 alltime NBA player.

You'd have to bump 20 of these players:

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. Bill Russell* 1.0000
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 1.0000
3. Michael Jordan 1.0000
4. Wilt Chamberlain* 1.0000
5. Magic Johnson* 1.0000
6. Larry Bird* 1.0000
7. Bob Pettit* 1.0000
8. Bob Cousy* 1.0000
9. Shaquille O'Neal 1.0000
10. Tim Duncan 1.0000
11. Karl Malone 1.0000
12. Oscar Robertson* 1.0000
13. Moses Malone* 1.0000
14. John Havlicek* 1.0000
15. Allen Iverson 1.0000
16. Hakeem Olajuwon 1.0000
17. Charles Barkley* 1.0000
18. Julius Erving* 1.0000
19. Jerry West* 1.0000
20. David Robinson 1.0000
21. Kevin Garnett 1.0000
22. Dave Cowens* 0.9999
23. Elgin Baylor* 0.9999
24. George Mikan* 0.9999
25. Willis Reed* 0.9999
26. Sam Jones* 0.9998
27. Bob McAdoo* 0.9998
28. Tom Heinsohn* 0.9997
29. Kobe Bryant 0.9996

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

Using a retro-fitted Hall of Fame probability equation as the basis to assess the quality of one player against another strikes me as borderline ridiculous. At that, the disparity between Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan (or any other "Top 10" player) by that measure is so miniscule as to be statistically insignificant. 4 ten thousandths?

mavs>spurs2
03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Using a retro-fitted Hall of Fame probability equation as the basis to assess the quality of one player against another strikes me as borderline ridiculous. At that, the disparity between Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan (or any other "Top 10" player) by that measure is so miniscule as to be statistically insignificant. 4 ten thousandths?

Don't try explaining that to Gaileo. He thinks mathematical formulas are the solution to all things basketball.

FromWayDowntown
03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
It's nearly impossible to compare across generations. There are too many variables that your model neglects.

One such variable would be the fact that All-Star appearances can sometimes be based more on the popularity of a team or a player than on the quality of that player.

If you wanted to concoct a number to suggest that Tim Duncan is the greatest player in the history of the NBA, it would undoubtedly be possible to do so. The fact that some fomula might lead to that conclusion is not, I would sumbit, proof that the formula conclusively establishes the proposition.

There is no debate among NBA pundits that Tim Duncan is one of the top 10 or so players to have ever played the game. There is a consensus among NBA pundits that Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever play the game. Why is that insufficient?

dbreiden83080
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I think Jordan may always be number 1 but Duncan when his legacy is set in stone should make most peoples top 10 of all time i would think.

duncan228
03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
There is no debate among NBA pundits that Tim Duncan is one of the top 10 or so players to have ever played the game. There is a consensus among NBA pundits that Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever play the game. Why is that insufficient?

It's good enough for me. :)

Warlord23
03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Kobe is one of the greatest offensive talents ever. But his contributions and achievements have been vastly over-rated, if anything. His best achievements are single-game (81, 62 in 3 qtrs, etc) or brief stretches (consecutive 40-point games, 3-pointers made etc). His contribution to the 3-peat Lakers was also overrated because Shaq was that dominant. Shaq put up some incredible playoff stats in their 3-peat; Kobe put the finishing touches, but that is easier when someone else carries 60% of the load.

Even after Shaq left, Kobe's proficiency has been over-rated. Kobe's best season is still not as good as T-Mac's best (02-03), KG's (03-04) or Lebron's (current year). His best statistical season doesn't crack Jordan's top 7 or Shaq's top 7.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_season.html

Not that Kobe didn't have his chances in the playoffs to lead his team to glory. 2004 was the best chance for him as Shaq was aging and he was in prime position with a very good team to claim the LOB. Instead, he chucked and bricked the Lakers to a 5-game near-sweep. In that series, Shaq got 27/11 on 63% shooting. Kobe got 22.6 PPG at a terrible 38% shooting and 17% 3-point shooting. In the Suns series he could've done what MJ did to the Cavs, i.e. take over the deciding game. That turned out to be his worst playoff game ever.

Whether the regular season or playoffs, at the end of the day, Kobe hasn't done enough to break the top 15 players of all time yet.

Look at it this way, if Kobe was in San Antonio and Duncan was in LA winning titles as the man, Kobe gets rated somewhere around Gervin or Drexler status while Duncan is put alongside Kareem and Hakeem.

Kobe Bryant's story is still incomplete. And there isn't enough there to call him a legend yet.

Galileo
03-30-2008, 04:57 PM
George Mikan

all-star teammates > no all-star game, Pollard would have been all-star

all-NBA 1st team > Jim Pollard

all-star teammates > Pollard, Verne Mikkelsen

all-NBA 2nd team > Pollard, Mikkelsen

all-star teammates > Mikkelsen, Slater Martin

all-NBA 2nd team > Mikkelsen

all-star teammates > Pollard, Martin

all-NBA 2nd team > Pollard

TOTAL

7 all-star teammates
4 2nd team all-NBA teammate
1 1st team all-NBA teammates

14 points

3.5 points per championship

Ockham
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
My Votes for Top 5 (in some order):

Jordan
Russell
Chamberlain
Jabbar
Magic

My Votes for Next 6 (in some order):

Duncan
Bird
Dr. J
Shaq
Malone (Moses, not Karl)
Hakeem

No love for Erving and Moses Malone in this thread? Is there an anti-Philly bias?

And in my opinion, the best case for ranking Duncan #6 all-time is:

(1) He’s that rare bird that’s perennially among the league’s best offensively and defensively (like Jordan, Chamberlain, and Jabbar before him, and unlike Magic, Bird, and Shaq), and
(2) He’s led very different casts to titles (like Russell and Magic, and unlike Jordan and Bird), which to me is evidence that he’d likely have won one or more titles with just about any good group of supporting players.

ClingingMars
03-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Galileo, this was your best effort yet, but it still falls short. Why? Because you can't use a formula to calculate the differences b/t eras.

-Mars