PDA

View Full Version : Nash, Shaq blame refs for loss

Jeremy
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
"I think he panicked," Nash said of the official. "He kind of stuttered and then he said: 'You were underneath him.' It's tough to take when you feel like you played well enough to win, but you feel like the win was taken away from you."

[...]

"I would have liked to see some consistency in the calls," O'Neal said. "They [the Pistons] had help, there's no two ways about it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280324008

jrod1986
03-24-2008, 11:07 PM
You'd think after the suspensions last year that the guys would just learn to move on. Just pick up the pieces and gun for the 'chip. Leave the zebras out of it--they're not the reason you lost. I mean geez, the Pistons were without Rip anyway...*shakes head*

Jeremy
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
If the refs had called the game accurately, the Suns would have won.

That said, if Amare hadn't gotten a technical we would have won.

If Grant Hill had hit just 1 of his 2 free throws in crunch time, we would have won.

If the Suns had grabbed the defensive rebound up 5, we would have won.

If the Suns had grabbed one of TWO defensive rebounds on the last possession of regulation (Pistons had the ball for the final 54.9 seconds and had THREE shots!), we could have won.

And we could have won without having to play OT.

Just a very frustrating game to say the least.

mavsfan1000
03-24-2008, 11:16 PM
The Pistons own the Suns.

TampaDude
03-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Actually, I blame Chauncey, Sheed, Tay, Dice, Max, Stuckey, Affy, et al, for the Suns loss tonight... :lol

himat
03-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I can see Shaq complaining, but Nash? D'Antoni is turning that team into a bunch of whiners.

As much as the Pistons complain in the game the Suns are just as bad because they bitch in the postgame. In my eyes that is worse.

JMarkJohns
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM

If Grant Hill had hit just 1 of his 2 free throws in crunch time, we would have won.

If the Suns had grabbed one of THREE defensive rebounds on the last possession of regulation (Pistons had the ball for the final 54.9 seconds!), we could have won.

"Which leaves us only with the How; and therein, as the Bard would tell us, lies the rub."
- Dalton Russell, INSIDE MAN

Every single one of the above had more to do with the loss than the two or three poor/missed officiating calls. Take care of your own business. Simple as that. They failed and fell...

ludda
03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
wah wah wah.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I saw that game also, why do refs keep fuckin deciding games??

JMarkJohns
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
wah wah wah.

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/rage/tom.jpg

SpursFanFirst
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM

If the Suns had grabbed one of THREE defensive rebounds on the last possession of regulation (Pistons had the ball for the final 54.9 seconds!), we could have won.

:dizzy Wow, that's alot of "ifs"

Vinnie_Johnson

Outside of the Shaq got fouled and it wasn't seen or called and the Nash pass that he went to the line for the game was called good. The Suns are lucky that your coach didn't get a T for his little hissy fit he through. Good game both teams played hard.

JMarkJohns
:dizzy Wow, that's alot of "ifs"

That's what's so frustrating. There were so many, and they only needed one.

Kriz-Maxima

:lol

JMarkJohns
03-24-2008, 11:39 PM
...both teams played hard.

My man...

SAtown
03-24-2008, 11:39 PM

:lmao Good one

JMarkJohns
03-24-2008, 11:41 PM
For a second I wasn't sure if it was too obscure...

Trainwreck2100
03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Actually, I blame Chauncey, Sheed, Rip, Tay, Dice, Max, Stuckey, Affy, et al, for the Suns loss tonight... :lol

I can think of one thing wrong with this statement

JMarkJohns
03-24-2008, 11:47 PM
You should just rip into him for getting something wrong.

SpursFanFirst
03-24-2008, 11:47 PM

Rip was out, no?

Xylus
03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
I didn't see the game, but I was told that McDyess admitted in his post-game interview that he fouled Shaq intentionally and the refs completely ignored it. That's annoying.

Oh well, it was a tight game the whole way, and that's all you can ask for.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-24-2008, 11:54 PM
That was funny. Stuckey hacked Shaq's arms as well.

JackArse
03-25-2008, 12:18 AM
up until that final minute, minute 30, that was a damn beautiful game, refs pretty much called it pretty much up the middle, and let them play. both teams went out and played hard. that last minute though, im' not going to say the refs decided the game, suns made some stupid plays that last 2 minutes, but the refs didn't stick ot what they did the rest of the game. that said, great game.

Jeremy
03-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Also, I forgot about:

If the Suns had gotten the ball to Shaq 0.5 seconds sooner on the shot clock violation on his hoop in OT, we could have won. What a frustrating game!

(Actually, I should have said two defensive rebounds on the last possession of regulation--it was three shots we allowed. I edited my previous post.)

lurker
03-25-2008, 12:37 AM
With the Suns leading 94-92 after Wallace's 3-pointer off a Rodney Stuckey rebound, Shaquille O'Neal missed inside when he was hit across the face by Antonio McDyess and slapped across the left arm by Stuckey with no call. McDyess said after the game that he was fouling in hack-a-Shaq mode.

"We got hosed down the stretch," Hill said. "It was just bad. Rasheed's agreeing with you about the foul situation. Then you know you got screwed."

It is pretty bad when even the Pistons think a foul should've been called. :lol

Kriz-Maxima
03-25-2008, 12:40 AM
It was a bad call but not the reason why they lost.

TampaDude
03-25-2008, 12:42 AM

Didn't know Rip was out...couldn't watch the game...Pistons would've won by even more if he had played...

E20
03-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Suns should just let it go. God bless and good night.

Spider TX
03-25-2008, 03:33 AM
The Pistons own the Suns.

And the entire NBA owns the Mavs!!

J.T.
03-25-2008, 03:52 AM

You win the thread. Your prize is 9001 internets.

Shank
03-25-2008, 08:34 AM
It's wrong to always complain about the refs, but at some point the league has to step up and admit there's a concern with consistency and the work done by their guys. This game, the Lakers/Warriors game late last night, some of the calls in the Mavs games I've seen recently, and on and on...it happens in just about every game. How can they continue to put out what they think is a quality product when it's obviously tainted by the subpar work of some of the most visible figures on the court?

BonnerDynasty
03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
s0ns fans had no problem when the refs wouldn't foul out shaq/amare during the Spurs/S0ns game so stfu.

All phx does is bitch about the refs. Something needs to be done to fix these worthless MF'ers and have some consistency though.

sribb43
03-25-2008, 08:45 AM
if pistons had rip...they win by 10+ and no OT. to the suns fan that named about 10 "ifs"

hater
03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
"I think he panicked," Nash said of the official. "He kind of stuttered and then he said: 'You were underneath him.' It's tough to take when you feel like you played well enough to win, but you feel like the win was taken away from you."

that might not have been a foul by Nash, but it was a makeup call because on the other side of the court in the previous play, there was no foul by Billups on Nash.

Welcome to the NBA crybaby suns, where makeup calls happen

regardless of the other missed call(foul on shaq), Pistons would have still won. stop your crying bitches

ancestron
03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/sexualantenna/Crybaby-Classic-sm.jpg

MajorMike
03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Same story as atm losing to UCLA: if you are going to put the game in the position for the refs to make or break it, you might not have deserved to win, anyway.

LilMissSPURfect
03-25-2008, 09:03 AM
I say ....no CAlls the last minute of the game unless there is blood!

1Parker1
03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Now Pistons fans know how it feels to play against the Baby Suns. Imagine if you had to deal with this kind of nonsense from that team, its players, and fans 4 games in the regular season...PLUS an playoff series where the whining and excuses increases 10 fold.

himat
03-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I didn't see the game, but I was told that McDyess admitted in his post-game interview that he fouled Shaq intentionally and the refs completely ignored it. That's annoying.

Yeah that one foul and the Chauncey drive were bad calls, but that is about it. The Raja Bell foul was actually correct and that's the one D'Antoni cried over the most.

himat
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Now Pistons fans know how it feels to play against the Baby Suns. Imagine if you had to deal with this kind of nonsense from that team, its players, and fans 4 games in the regular season...PLUS an playoff series where the whining and excuses increases 10 fold.

Are they seriously like this after every loss?

And I thought the Pistons were the biggest whiners.

himat
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
that might not have been a foul by Nash, but it was a makeup call because on the other side of the court in the previous play, there was no foul by Billups on Nash.

:toast

himat
03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Also, I forgot about:

If the Suns had gotten the ball to Shaq 0.5 seconds sooner on the shot clock violation on his hoop in OT, we could have won. What a frustrating game!

But it didn't. Stop with the ifs

I can name 1 or 2 things that the Pistons could of done differently against SA in Game 7 that would of won us a championship. It did not happen though so get over it.

JamStone
03-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Don't mind the Suns or Suns fans complaining. The Pistons and Pistons fan whine about officiating in abundance. Shaq was hacked. I think referees don't even care anymore. They won't call a foul for Shaq unless he's fully battered and assaulted. Nash's quote is cute. It was an either or call. Could have been a charge. Could have been a block. Nash can't talk because he got two free throws when he was passing the ball. He didn't mention that. But, again, lots of players bitch and moan about calls. I don't mind it if the Suns and their fans want to vent a little.

And, I definitely don't mind the home cooking officiating.

RonMexico
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Same story as atm losing to UCLA: if you are going to put the game in the position for the refs to make or break it, you might not have deserved to win, anyway.

Well, your logic is incorrect again, as both UCLA and the Pistons had the refs "make it" for them to win.

O-Factor
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Suns complain about the refs, nothing new there.

TheMACHINE
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
and theres more....

Az Republic:

Suns drop tough one to Pistons

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 24, 2008 07:26 PM
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - The Suns have had excruciatingly close losses and frustratingly bad ones. They have been embarrassingly overwhelmed and knowingly outworked.

But not once all season had the Suns been as angry after a loss as they were following Monday night's 110-105 overtime defeat against Detroit at the Palace of Auburn Hills. They headed for Boston feeling good about the way they scored and defended against a powerhouse team despite having a seven-game win streak end.

They just felt outmanned.

"We played well enough to win," Suns forward Grant Hill said. "It's just hard five against eight."

The Suns could find fault with themselves for losing a 94-89 lead with 2:40 to go in regulation, with one Detroit offensive rebound providing a late Rasheed Wallace 3-pointer and another denying them a chance at a winning shot. But it was hard for them to focus on those plays or the missed shots down the stretch of overtime when they were so furious with the officiating.

"We had our chances to win," Suns guard Steve Nash said. "We didn't get the calls."

Suns video coordinator Noel Gillespie was the most popular man in the postgame locker room, because players wanted to look at the calls that had them seething after Detroit had scored the game's final six points. Two particular calls raised their ire.

With the Suns leading 94-92 after Wallace's 3-pointer off a Rodney Stuckey rebound, Shaquille O'Neal missed inside when he was hit across the face by Antonio McDyess and slapped across the left arm by Stuckey with no call. McDyess said after the game that he was fouling in hack-a-Shaq mode.

"I wish they wouldn't have had help," O'Neal said of the Pistons. "I sure wish those people (officials Joe Forte, Michael Smith and Sean Wright) would get a little more consistent in how they call a game. I know I got fouled down there. It ain't no all ball. (Expletive) that. I know I got fouled, and there's a ref standing there. He should have (expletive) called it. I got chopped in the head. He should have (expletive) called it. Period.

"It'd been a different game if they'd done what they're supposed to do. They had help."

A blocking foul on Nash for a Chauncey Billups' 3-point play with 1:01 to go also had Phoenix fired up. The Suns led 105-104 when Nash tried to take a charge on Billups' drive. Billups converted for a 107-105 lead. Nash missed a jumper to tie the score, and O'Neal was called for a foul on the rebound, setting up two McDyess free throws that made the lead 109-105 with 45.9 seconds to go. Wallace blocked an Amaré Stoudemire fadeaway on the next play.

"We got hosed down the stretch," Hill said. "It was just bad. Rasheed's agreeing with you about the foul situation. Then you know you got screwed."

The Suns still came a long way from the team that lost to Detroit by 30 in Phoenix on Feb. 24, when O'Neal was in his third game with the Suns.

They were outrebounded for just the third time in O'Neal's 17-game Suns career. The 16 second-chance Pistons points hurt as well as 16 Suns turnovers for 20 Pistons points.

Stoudemire led Phoenix with 33 points, including 15 on free throws, but Billups countered with his own 15 free throws to finish with 32 points.

"It's not a really bad loss," Nash said. "Everyone's disappointed and angry. We felt like we played well enough to win and feel like, in some ways, it was taken from us."

ATRAIN
03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
"It's not a really bad loss," Nash said. "Everyone's disappointed and angry. We felt like we played well enough to win and feel like, in some ways, it was taken from us."

LMAO just like the way they feel we took the Championship away from them last year hahahahaha.

nkdlunch
03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
they're just crying about the games they're supposed to

ratm1221
03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
So are they going to fine Shaq or Nash?

N4th4n
03-25-2008, 02:23 PM

The only thing more pathetic then whining, is whining about whining. So congratz you win!

Hank the Tank
03-25-2008, 02:28 PM
i want to hear the uncensored shaq interview. sounds funny.

cornbread
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
It's tough to take when you feel like you played well enough to win, but you feel like the win was taken away from you. :lol Not the first time I've heard that one from Nash.

hater
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
what a pussy

sprrs
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
The only thing more pathetic then whining, is whining about whining. So congratz you win!

Not really.

TampaDude
03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
they're just crying about the games they're supposed to

The Suns were just crying some tears...the Pistons let them cry those tears...no surprises here...

Brutalis
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
https://www.canoeonline.net/_bin/_graphics/shop/products/796.jpg

Cry Havoc
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Pointing out the utter suckage of the initial whining, however, is completely acceptable.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-26-2008, 08:54 AM
https://www.canoeonline.net/_bin/_graphics/shop/products/796.jpg

DarrinS
03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Suns never lose -- games are just taken from them.

:cry Sun Fan :cry

shelshor
03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
meh-Sons are just getting tuned up for full blown playoff whining

dirkthesilverdancer
03-26-2008, 11:38 AM

If the Suns had grabbed one of TWO defensive rebounds on the last possession of regulation (Pistons had the ball for the final 54.9 seconds and had THREE shots!), we could have won.

If , If, If, If....sounds like a typical Suns fan....if you guys were good enough you would have won...that's that. You will never win anything relevant so get used to it. The Phoenix Suns are made for the regular season and that's it. Go Spurs!

dirkthesilverdancer
03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
At least he isn't a Mavs fan!

dirkthesilverdancer
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah stop making excuses Suns fans. They are good at that.

Supergirl
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Man, the Suns just don't learn, and that comes from the top down. As long as they continue to fall back on complaining about the refs and blaming losses on that, they will NEVER EVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Why? because it localizes the whole game as outside of their control, and only a team that feels in control of their own destiny is capable of winning a championship.

JMarkJohns
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
If , If, If, If....sounds like a typical Suns fan....if you guys were good enough you would have won...that's that. You will never win anything relevant so get used to it. The Phoenix Suns are made for the regular season and that's it. Go Spurs!

I don't get why anyone is bagging on Jeremy's post. He starts with the IF about the refs, but then implies that it wasn't as significant as any of the IFs the Suns could have controlled themselves. Jeremy wasn't making excuses. He was breaking down every chance the Suns had to win, basically laying the blame at the Suns feet for not getting it done.

Maybe IF you weren't such a pompous newbie Spurs fan you could see the context and not just the content. But then, asking you to see past your sense of grandier and entitlement is like asking D'Antoni not to whine like a baby.

Every team loses games they really should have won. Would I like to see a little more maturity from the Suns? Sure. Does their loss mean they are incompetant and unable to defeat a Title-contending team? They trounced Boston and defeated San Antonio with Shaq. Both came at home, but it clearly shows they are good enough, they just didn't fully take advantage of their opportunities on Monday.

RonMexico
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Suns gave up way too many offensive boards. They also shot 35% to the Pistons' 50% in the first half and were only down by 1 at the break. It was clearly a winnable game.

They had their chances and should have played better D to win the game. I didn't see that Raja was able to lock down Chauncey as much with his bum ankle and I'm sure that's what allowed Billups to get to the basket and the line a lot.

'Sheed also continues to kill the Suns.

Xylus
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I find it hilarious that Spurs fans are chastising Suns players and fans for complaining about the refs, when they do it everytime they lose.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't get why anyone is bagging on Jeremy's post. He starts with the IF about the refs, but then implies that it wasn't as significant as any of the IFs the Suns could have controlled themselves. Jeremy wasn't making excuses. He was breaking down every chance the Suns had to win, basically laying the blame at the Suns feet for not getting it done.

Maybe IF you weren't such a pompous newbie Spurs fan you could see the context and not just the content. But then, asking you to see past your sense of grandier and entitlement is like asking D'Antoni not to whine like a baby.

Every team loses games they really should have won. Would I like to see a little more maturity from the Suns? Sure. Does their loss mean they are incompetant and unable to defeat a Title-contending team? They trounced Boston and defeated San Antonio with Shaq. Both came at home, but it clearly shows they are good enough, they just didn't fully take advantage of their opportunities on Monday.

I think other posters are more annoyed at the Suns themselves rather than the fans on this board.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
I find it hilarious that Spurs fans are chastising Suns players and fans for complaining about the refs, when they do it everytime they lose.

Do our players whine after the game that the reason they lost was the officiating? When is the last time you've heard that out of the mouth, repeatedly, of a Spurs player following a game, directly citing the officials for the sole reason they lost?

That's bush league. This has very little to do with the fans and everything to do with the fact that when the Suns win, it's pure skill and poetry, and when they lose, it's not their fault.

JamStone
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM
They had their chances and should have played better D to win the game. I didn't see that Raja was able to lock down Chauncey as much with his bum ankle and I'm sure that's what allowed Billups to get to the basket and the line a lot.

Many of Chauncey's drives to the basket came in a stretch where Barbosa was guarding him and when he put Shaq in a pick-and-roll situation while Amare was out. Barbosa couldn't slip high on the pick-and-roll and left Shaq to hedge higher than he probably would have liked and put him in a one-on-one cover on Chauncey Billups. At that point, it's two points because Shaq can't recover on Billups once he made any kind of dribble drive move.

Xylus
03-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Do our players whine after the game that the reason they lost was the officiating? When is the last time you've heard that out of the mouth, repeatedly, of a Spurs player following a game, directly citing the officials for the sole reason they lost?

That's bush league. This has very little to do with the fans and everything to do with the fact that when the Suns win, it's pure skill and poetry, and when they lose, it's not their fault.
You misunderstand me. I'm not here to promote whining about the officials, particularly after a regular season game. It annoys me when the players do it, and I don't condone it.

But is it not hypocritical that the same fans who are calling the players whiners and pussies, are the same fans who complain after every loss about bad officiating? It is, sir. Speaking generally, if you're going to do it yourself, don't complain about it when other people do it as well.

WalterBenitez
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Actually, I blame Chauncey, Sheed, Tay, Dice, Max, Stuckey, Affy, et al, for the Suns loss tonight... :lol

The weather were also a factor
:dramaquee

deadratsam
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
You misunderstand me. I'm not here to promote whining about the officials, particularly after a regular season game. It annoys me when the players do it, and I don't condone it.

But is it not hypocritical that the same fans who are calling the players whiners and pussies, are the same fans who complain after every loss about bad officiating? It is, sir. Speaking generally, if you're going to do it yourself, don't complain about it when other people do it as well.

I don't like when the spurs complain during the game, only because they sometimes do it when they should be more focused on getting back to the other end. I don't mind when any player talks to the refs during down-time.

I do think there is a very big difference between complaining during and after games.

I wish the spurs wouldn't complain as much during the games, but I'm so glad that they don't complain afterwards.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2008, 04:39 PM

I know you aren't directing this at me, but I could honestly care less about what the fans say about the officials. EVERY fan base in the NBA has a beef with them, and except for the Lakers and Celtics, those reasons are sometimes legitimate. I mean, is it whining if a fan cites a genuinely bad call and states why it's a bad call? Not to me, so I won't be calling people out. I think it tends to stand out more when it comes from Phoenix though, because the players there are so ready to embrace the "we got screwed by the refs" logic. It makes it that much more intolerable from the fan base.

himat
03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Chauncey always can drive...he just doesn't. Pisses me off a lot.

td4mvp21
03-26-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm so fucking sick of the Suns. They bitch about every goddamn thing and their sense of entitlement is ridiculous. They aren't going to win a championship because they never, ever accept responsibility for losing, and that starts with the head coach. Which is fine by me, I don't want this group of bitchy cry babies to ever win a championship anyway.

RonMexico
03-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm so fucking sick of the Suns. They bitch about every goddamn thing and their sense of entitlement is ridiculous. They aren't going to win a championship because they never, ever accept responsibility for losing, and that starts with the head coach. Which is fine by me, I don't want this group of bitchy cry babies to ever win a championship anyway.

I'm so fucking sick of Spur fans and their sense of entitlement over a regular season win vs. the Magic.

td4mvp21
03-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm so fucking sick of Spur fans and their sense of entitlement over a regular season win vs. the Magic.

:lol We've had that sense of entitlement ever since June 2007, bitch.

bdubya
03-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Dice whacked him right in the face, so you can't blame the refs. It's hard to tell Shaq's head from the ball.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Uh, what? Spurs fans have a whole hell of a lot of reasons to feel entitlement. Four fucking reasons, in fact. Hell, drop the prefix and suffix from that word, and that's all that's left.

Dice whacked him right in the face, so you can't blame the refs. It's hard to tell Shaq's head from the ball.

Shaq is the last person in the entire freaking NBA who should be talking about not getting the benefit of a bad officiating call.

RonMexico
03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
It was a joke, Cry Havoc.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
It was a joke, Cry Havoc.

But we beat the Magic! We rule the world now! RAAAAR DO WHAT I SAY :madrun

JMarkJohns
03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I think other posters are more annoyed at the Suns themselves rather than the fans on this board.

I pretty much agree, which is why I never responded prior. It is lame and I'm tired of it. Man the fuck up! Get the rebound, or the FT, or play defense without contact close enough to be called a foul. Take care of your own business and you won't be put in the position to need a call from an official to bail you out, or won't be in the position where a questionable call buries you.

I responded to him because he called Jeremy out unnecessarily, then said, "typical Suns fan."

LAME...

itzsoweezee
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
told yall nash was a bitch. i don't understand the respect spurs fans show for this asshole.

baller12
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
dod not worry shaq and nash are little babies and they wine over everything the only reason that they lost is because they both suck.