PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Are Quiet, Confident

duncan228
03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-magic2508mar25,0,5432877.story

Orlando Magic know 4-time champion Spurs are quiet, confident
San Antonion goes through the motions undetected, but the Spurs will be there in the end.
Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer

This is what the Orlando Magic want to be -- to look like -- when they grow up.

The defending champion San Antonio Spurs happily have been lost in the hype over the improved Lakers, the changing Suns, the streaking Rockets and the surprising Hornets, but they remain the quiet favorites in the ultra-competitive Western Conference, waiting patiently for their time to come.

"You won't even hear about them -- until the playoffs start," said Magic point guard Jameer Nelson after practice Monday. "I kind of like that quiet confidence they have. You don't have to hear about them to know they're out there."

Winning four NBA titles in the last nine years has made the Spurs a model of consistency -- unselfish, defensive-minded, almost unpretentious winners ---- but it also has fueled the league's search for a new-model, new-wave champion. They have the oldest overall roster in the league

"They've gotten older, but some people as they get older, they get better," Nelson said. "And I think they have."

The Spurs (47-23) are resting at the No. 6 seed in the jumbled West, content with their perch on the shoulder of the leaders, grinning in the background, waiting for the right time to strike..

"You'd always rather win than lose, but I'm not real concerned about that now," Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich told reporters in San Antonio recently. "I'm more concerned about us playing consistently. And I think we've done that. I'm proud of what we've done, even though the record doesn't show it."

The Spurs play the Magic (46-26) tonight at Amway Arena, providing a key gauge for the Magic to see how good they really are at this stage.

"They set the bar for everyone," said Magic guard Keyon Dooling. "They are the team everyone wants to be, the team that's been where everyone else wants to go. If you don't realize how great they are, I'd call that selective hearing."

The Spurs drilled the Magic earlier this season in San Antonio, 128-110, halting the Magic's franchise-record seven-game road winning streak away. It was a sobering reminder of how the grown-ups in the NBA play.

"I'm not saying they can't be beat, but you have to be damn good to beat them," said Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy. "Their maturity, their focus on winning, it's all there. When you're talking about a model, they've done it over time, and they have the success to back it up. Everybody is trying to get there."

The Spurs have been good enough this season to win 11 consecutive games, a streak that ended earlier this month. But they also have stumbled uncharacteristically, losing four consecutive games for the first time since January of 2001. At times, they have looked a little bored with the regular-season grind.

They have won three consecutive games, spanking rival Dallas on Sunday, still intent on climbing high enough to get home-court advantage at least in the opening round. They are one team in the playoffs who will have no trouble winning on the road.

They are built around all-star center Tim Duncan, still the best low-post option in the NBA, surrounding him with players who are good enough to shine on their own, but players who also understand who the franchise player is.

Point guard Tony Parker and shooting guard Manu Ginobili gives them a diverse Big Three. Ginobili is a rare player who leads his team in scoring (20.1 ppg) from a mostly Sixth Man role. Parker is almost impossible to keep out of the lane, where he creates for everyone. Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto fill in the gaps.

The Magic, in similar fashion, are building their team around center Dwight Howard, surrounding him with shooters like Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu, along with role players like Nelson and Maurice Evans.

Although they are coming off a disappointing loss in Atlanta, where the Hawks just wanted the win more, the Magic are 13-5 since the All-Star break, also making preparations for the playoffs.

"We're different, our personnel, and the way we want to play," Van Gundy said. "They have been there. When the big games come, they know how to respond. I don't know if anyone has done so consistently over so many years."

SouthernFried
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Geesh...your embarassing us

:oops

Getting harder and harder to fly under the radar...even when we deserve to.

1Parker1
03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
"You'd always rather win than lose, but I'm not real concerned about that now," Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich told reporters in San Antonio recently. "I'm more concerned about us playing consistently. And I think we've done that. I'm proud of what we've done, even though the record doesn't show it."

I'm very surprised at Pop's happy go lucky attitude this season. He'd normally be finding faults in the inconsistent defense, etc right about now.

And tonight's game might be a close one. Magic will be up for it after losing to the Hawks and will know it's a good game to practice the playoff like atmosphere and competition they'll face...

xtremesteven33
03-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm very surprised at Pop's happy go lucky attitude this season. He'd normally be finding faults in the inconsistent defense, etc right about now.

Its cause the Spurs are on the right track...i see it....theyre starting to play within THEIR game....90-95 point games, they have a set rotation, and they have MAJOR experience over every team in the West right now.....

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
At times, they have looked a little bored with the regular-season grind.

That's how I'd characterize long stretches of this season as well. The Spurs are far better than their record indicates.

SenorSpur
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM

And tonight's game might be a close one. Magic will be up for it after losing to the Hawks and will know it's a good game to practice the playoff like atmosphere and competition they'll face...

Looks like Pop's maturity as a coach has him now picking his spots to tweak his guys. He may be as bored by the regular season grind as his players.

TwoHandJam
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Too much ego stroking in this article for my liking. I for one am worried about two indicators that generally have a high correlation with champions; road record and point differential. Today they stand and 19-17 and +4.5 respectively and that is troubling.

Those don't look like championship figures and the season is virtually over. I don't feel really confident going into the playoffs this year. I have a hard time judging how good the team is right now. I still think they can win it all but their inconsistency this year has me on edge. I don't know what to expect from game to game.

WildcardManu
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
This Spurs veteran team is built for the post-season and not the "high-flying-look-at-my-pretty-dunks-and-winning-streaks" season.

MoSpur
03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I like Stan Van Gundy as their coach. They are doing a great job there in Orlando.