View Full Version : Flying Under The Radar: Michael Finley

duncan228
03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
http://wisconsin.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=2&c=740305

Flying Under the Radar: Michael Finley
By Brendan Sonnone

The San Antonio Spurs starting lineup boasts future Hall of Famer Tim Duncan, perennial all-stars Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, and Bruce Bowen, who is widely acclaimed for his tenacity and game changing defense. Those are four starters, but the fifth one is flying under the radar, which isn’t easy for a two time all-star.

Guard Michael Finley’s best days are behind him, but the 35-year old veteran proving to be invaluable to the Spurs, who are looking to win their fifth championship in 10 years.

Averaging 9.5 points and 3 rebounds per game, Finley isn’t blowing anyone away with his numbers but he is doing all the little things right for the Spurs. He starts when he’s given the nod, but is more than willing to come off the bench and help supply a charge of energy for his team. In his prime, Finley was a dynamic scorer who averaged 20 points or more a game for five straight seasons. He doesn’t get as many shots as he used to, so now Finley is making them count. His role in the offense isn’t limited to standing around the perimeter and taking open shots, but he has thrived at since joining the Spurs. Last season, in a playoff game versus Denver, he set an NBA record for three-pointers made, going 8/9 from behind the arc. Finley is shooting a respectable 36% from three-point land on the season, but he can also take opponents off the dribble and is a strong finisher around the basket.

Finley is shooting 38% from the field this year, the worst of his NBA career, and while time has taken its toll, Finley is finding other ways to be effective. On defense, Finley has picked up his game and has become a very solid man-to-man defender, but he is still frustrated with his shooting slump.

“It’s nothing the coaches can do,” said Finley who is optimistic that he will regain his shooting touch soon. “I’m good, I’m good.”

Perhaps his statistics have dropped but Finley’s presence has been crucial for the Spurs. The Spurs have been successful in the past decade because they play a team first brand of basketball, and Finley has bought into the system. He is a leader in the locker room and stays away from controversy, which is huge for a team that focuses on chemistry.

Finley will head to Orlando with the Spurs on Tuesday and will start in place of Ginobili, who will be coming off the bench for the rest of the season. The last time Magic faced the Spurs, Finley went 3-of-6 from behind the arc. If he can start shooting like that again, Finley will make the Spurs even more dangerous. Finley will likely see a lot of Keith Bogans, which doesn’t bode well for the veteran because Bogans is more than capable of shutting him down. The Spurs would love it if Finley can get free and start making shots again, but Orlando will keep its fingers

LilMissSPURfect
03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
He'll get his juices going when championship is in the air!

SouthernFried
03-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree...Fin's defense has improved. But it, like his offense...can be streaky.

Streaky is the one word that pretty much characterizes eveything about Fin since he's been a Spur.

But, who knows. Mebbe one of those streaks can win us another championship.

And he's the ONLY Spur that actually has a pull up jumper. Amazing, when you realize that almost everyone on the Mavericks has one.

1Parker1
03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
His defense has gone the way of his offense for the last month and a half. I don't know what this author is talking about...

Finley let's his bad offense affect everything else in his game. If he's not making shots, he's not doing much else on the floor either.

xtremesteven33
03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Finley has lost confidence in his shot....you can just tell...he hesitates too much....

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Can he fly right into retirement?

MoSpur
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I keep holding out hope that Finley regain his touch, but its getting harder and harder to watch this guy.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
His defense has gone the way of his offense for the last month and a half. I don't know what this author is talking about...

Finley let's his bad offense affect everything else in his game. If he's not making shots, he's not doing much else on the floor either.

/werd

hater
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
flying under the radar? I'd say he crashed somewhere in the pacific already

CubanMustGo
03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Did Finley's agent write this article? "Solid defender" ?? Maybe if the solid in question is Jello ...

ancestron
03-25-2008, 10:53 AM
He's doing alright. I'm sure the old dog still has a few surprises in him.

Herschel Walker
03-25-2008, 10:56 AM
WTF? That has to be the most inaccurate article I read in a while. That shit needs to be labeled as fiction.

LilMissSPURfect
03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
why must dogs chase the cat why?

Ruff
Ruff
Ruff

Why must I feel like that
Why must I chase the cat
Nothin but the dog in me

Why must I chase the cat
Nothin but the dog in me

Why must I chase the cat
Nothin but the dog in me

Why must I chase the cat
Nothin but the dog in me

WildcardManu
03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
As long as he still has enough for a three here and there where it counts, I'm satisfied.

BonnerDynasty
03-25-2008, 11:37 AM
He's digging tunnels underground to avoid high altitude.

roycrikside
03-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Also flying under the radar: The Hindenburg.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Flying under the radar? More like never got off the ground...

DDS4
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Jacque Vaughn is flying under the radar. That cat has been solid as a backup PG.

To Finley's credit, a couple of his shots in the Dallas game were halfway in.

Rick Von Braun
03-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry, but this smells like it was written by his agent.

This year more than ever he has shown he is a part-time unidimensional player (when his J is on), with horrible D, zero handles, below average rebounder. He cannot even shoot straight up, he always forces a side step/dribble before taking a pull up jumper. It is so freaking predictable and slow it is not even funny.

Having said this, I hope Findog recovers in time for the playoffs, I really do. The Spurs could really use him.

tmtcsc
03-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey Fin,

Why don't you try mixing in a drive to the basket when the jump shot isn't working? I don't play much anymore but I do remember that if my jumper wasn't working, I would try to drive to the basket for a layup or to get to the free throw line...and I'm a nobody, non-pro. It works !

Just sayin..plus we could use some more of that. For now, its Tony and Manu and no one else. We really need to upgrade that area. Now I see why the Spurs were interested in J.R. Smith from Denver. He drove on us all night here in San Antonio.

GSH
03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
I think part of it is a matter of age and minutes. To me it doesn't look like he's got his legs, and it shows up on both ends of the floor. The injury situations put him on the floor a lot more... from mid-December through the end of January, he was probably averaging around 32 minutes per game, and his production just steadily declined.

I'd like to see him looking fresher than this going into the playoffs.