PDA

View Full Version : Obama's chief military advisor and...

Yonivore
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
...possible SecDef also is predicting an Iraqi presence of 100 years or more.

We all know the Democrats plan an election campaign accusing John McCain of wanting “100 Years of War." But, if Obama is the nominee, they may have some trouble explaining how his chief military adviser offered the exact same advice five years ago. The distortion of McCain’s remarks about how the US can secure its interests in the region has already been featured on the campaign website on Obama despite his association with General Merrill “Tony” McPeak and McPeak’s identical argument (http://www.poor-attitude.org/mt/archives/000074.html) at the beginning of the Iraq invasion:

John McCain is scheduled to deliver a major foreign policy speech Wednesday in Los Angeles, one with a heavy Iraq focus, but chances are Democrats won’t be listening. They’ve already distilled his views into an easy to remember formulation: 100 years of war.

It is a reference to an offhand remark made by McCain in January about the possible duration of the U.S. presence in Iraq, a comment that Democrats now portray as the equivalent of the McCain Doctrine.

Though it’s not exactly an accurate representation of McCain’s views, Democratic strategists view the “100 years” remark as the linchpin of an effort to turn McCain’s national security credentials against him by framing the Vietnam War hero as a warmonger who envisions an American presence in Iraq without end.
“Not an exact representation”? That’s putting it mildly. McCain specifically made the point that he could not support indefinite combat conditions, but an American presence without American casualties would not be war at all. It would be very much like our bases in Germany, Japan, and South Korea, which kept the peace in those regions for decades after the shooting stopped in those war theaters.

At first, the Democratic insistence on misunderstanding McCain could be chalked up to simple military and historical incompetence, both of which the Democrats have demonstrated repeatedly over the last several decades. However, the revelation that Obama’s chief military adviser made the same argument to the Oregonian in 2003 removes stupidity as an excuse, leaving only dishonesty as the explanation:

Is Iraq the last country we confront in the Middle East?

McPeak: Who wants to volunteer to get cross-ways with us? We’ll be there a century, hopefully. If it works right.

I’ll tell you one thing we should not hope for (is) a democratic Iraq. When I hear the president talking about democracy, the last thing we should want is an election in Iraq. We’re not very popular. So I don’t think we’ll see any open elections in Iraq for a long time.
Hopefully over time they can be brought along like Japan and Germany — Japan and Germany were relatively easy, I think, and South Korea.
Here’s what McCain said:

“Make it 100 [years] … We’ve been in South Korea . . . we’ve been in Japan for 60 years. We’ve been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That would be fine with me. As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, that’s fine with me. I hope that would be fine with you, if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al-Qaeda is training, recruiting and equipping and motivating people every single day.”
Democrats, especially Barack Obama, need to explain the difference between McPeak and McCain. There isn’t any. McPeak even made this argument while opposing the invasion. That’s why Factcheck (http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/smear_or_be_smeared.html) calls this a “rank falsehood” and a “serious distortion”. Politifact (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/388/) calls Obama’s rhetoric on this “false”.
Unless the Democrats want to argue that we’ve been at war in Germany, Japan, and South Korea, they haven’t got an argument. All they have are stupidity, lies, or a mix of both.

Of course, with McPeak being a Jew-hater, I'm wondering how long it'll be before Obama has to throw him under the bus like that Powers chick.

101A
03-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Good find.

Dems will play up the 100 year thing; but people get it - this will simply discourage them from making hay about it.

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Obama's judgement is really shining here.

He swears there's going to be an immediate withdrawl of troops to end the war and who's in his camp . . . McPeak.

Wonderful sense of judgement.

I can see Rezko as Secretary of the Treasury in his administration.

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Not that I'm defending McCain, not in the least.

clambake
03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
might give some voters the balance they're looking for. or maybe he'll declare himself the "decider" so it wouldn't matter anyway.

RandomGuy
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Obama's judgement is really shining here.

He swears there's going to be an immediate withdrawl of troops to end the war and who's in his camp . . . McPeak.

Wonderful sense of judgement.

Bringing Our Troops Home
Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/iraq/

----------------------------------------------------

Starting Phased Redeployment within Hillary's First Days in Office: The most important part of Hillary's plan is the first: to end our military engagement in Iraq's civil war and immediately start bringing our troops home. As president, one of Hillary's first official actions would be to convene the Joint Chiefs of Staff, her Secretary of Defense, and her National Security Council. She would direct them to draw up a clear, viable plan to bring our troops home starting with the first 60 days of her Administration.

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/iraq/
---------------------------------------------------

Bolster Troops on the Ground

A greater military commitment now is necessary if we are to achieve long-term success in Iraq. John McCain agrees with retired Army General Jack Keane that there are simply not enough American forces in Iraq. More troops are necessary to clear and hold insurgent strongholds; to provide security for rebuilding local institutions and economies; to halt sectarian violence in Baghdad and disarm Sunni and Shia militias; to dismantle al Qaeda; to train the Iraqi Army; and to embed American personnel in Iraqi police units. Accomplishing each of these goals will require more troops and is a crucial prerequisite for needed economic and political development in the country. America's ultimate strategy is to give Iraqis the capabilities to govern and secure their own country.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/fdeb03a7-30b0-4ece-8e34-4c7ea83f11d8.htm

RandomGuy
03-25-2008, 04:02 PM

Puh-lease. :dramaquee

Rezco was attempting to build up leverage with just about any Illonois politician around, and not all of them knew exactly what the guy was about.

The newspaper that broke the story found nothing that even remotely indicated that Obama did anything improper, and the people studying the criminal case note that Obama isn't even a footnote.

The closest thing to anything even remotely improper was that small addition to the guy's back yard that he purchased (not was given, purchased) after Rezco's wife bought the house next door.

That kind of shameless spin has about as much credibility as saying that Susan McDougal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_(controversy)) would become secretary of the interior for Mrs. Clinton, or Charles Keating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five) would have a similar post under McCain.

If this kind of thing is what you want to hang your hat on, be my guest, but we all know what level of fairness you applying here and why.