PDA

View Full Version : Race for the Cure

Samr
03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
If any of you have had your lives affected by cancer, you know the importance of this cause. For those that haven't either had it themselves or seen someone else fight the (often times losing) battle, consider yourselves lucky.

Susan G Komen puts on an annual event called "Race for the Cure," a 5k (3.1 mi) charity race used to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. The race is this Saturday morning, at 7:30 am.

Event registration times and details (http://rfcsa.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id=1050&pg=entry)

Don't be at all scared by the length -- 3 miles is not that far and the majority of it, with the crowds (last year there were almost 40 thousand people!!), is mostly walking anyway -- or the time... what else better do you have to do on a saturday morning? I did this thing for several years and I can tell you it is a complete blast, and it is for a good cause as well. A $20 registration fee gets you a t-shirt, some random goodies, and entrance to the race.

I am going to be there this Saturday and hopefully a few of y'all will be there as well. It is a blast, there are a bunch of vendors and free stuff given away after the race, and pets and kids are encouraged.

03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
I'll be there looking to eclipse my blistering pace I set last year, 28'10".

*Disclaimer: Last year with the storms the night before I ate sushi and drank copious amounts of Sapporo thinking it would be canceled. It wasn't, and for the record, hangover running sucks monkey nards.*

I wish they could keep the anti-abortion nutjobs (Yea, you can protest all you want, just stay the fuck off the course) at bay. Is there a time penalty for giving one of them a forearm shiver?

Samr
03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I'll be there looking to eclipse my blistering pace I set last year, 28'10".

*Disclaimer: Last year with the storms the night before I ate sushi and drank copious amounts of Sapporo thinking it would be canceled. It wasn't, and for the record, hangover running sucks monkey nards.*

I wish they could keep the anti-abortion nutjobs (Yea, you can protest all you want, just stay the fuck off the course) at bay. Is there a time penalty for giving one of them a forearm shiver?

A la Robert Horry? As long as it's for the good of the team (or in this case, your pace time) then all is good if they get in the way. One of my favorite things about the race is dodging all the people. I feel like a race car driver. Yes, I know that sounds stupid. Yes, it's still fun.

People watching at these races is great. You see some seriously crazy people down there, and messing with protesters is fun.

About 8 months ago I had brain surgery and the only still lasting side-effect is that my endurance has been shot to hell. I used to be able to run a 5k in 18-19 minutes. Now, well, in my training (I've had to actually train for this) I am sucking wind after a mile and a half and yesterday I got mentally tired after a half hour on the stationary bike. I'll be happy to break 30 minutes running it this year. It has been fun getting used to the change. Oh well. This lady who was like a grandmother to me died of breast cancer in 1999 so this race holds some significance.

*** For the record, you do get bonus points for hangover running. But you get even more if you are still drunk that morning at the start line.

Spurfect
03-26-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm going to be in it!! can't wait :)