PDA

View Full Version : A&M 74, tu 63

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-13-2005, 03:45 AM
Damn, that was a lot of fun. If A&M continues to play defense like that, there's not a team that they can't beat (and I'm not just talking B12).

Jimcs50
01-13-2005, 09:09 AM
and I thought I was guilty of hyperbole with me teams ....

Yes it was awesome to hold Texas 30 pts beloe their average and to 31% shooting, but can they play that kind of D against teams in the Big 12 on the raod?

Texas Tech will be a test this weekend, they beat a pretty good team last night at Kansas St on a last second shot, so they will be sky high too...it should be a great game. If A&M wins, they will be a top 25 team for sure.....something I said a few weeks ago, but I thought it would be a year from now.

Gillespie will be coach of the year, if A&M can finish in top 4 in conference, and I think they can, if they continue to get better. They need to shoot better from the FT line. They need a fucking FT coach,( right AHF?) :)

They have to try to stay away from silly fouls like last night as well

We will see..

violentkitten
01-13-2005, 09:46 AM
why is this in the football forum you dumb aggys

Hook Dem
01-13-2005, 10:11 AM
why is this in the football forum you dumb aggys
Let 'em have their moment of glory! They haven't had much to be happy about lately. :lol

Jimcs50
01-13-2005, 10:14 AM
because there is no college bball forum

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Jim, this is the same kind of D they played at Penn State the second half, and the same kind of D they played all game against KU last week.

Coach Gillispie has them believing that if they play tough m2m D and great help defense, great things will happen.

MosesGuthrie
01-13-2005, 11:08 AM
its all about defense. Great win.

2centsworth
01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Congrats. Still pretty cool seeing aTm act like they won the championship when they beat UT.

Spurminator
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
This was a major turning point in A&M basketball. I don't blame them for celebrating.

That Law kid is special.

Jimcs50
01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Their future is so bright I got to wear shades.

With Wright back next year, and with Acie Law being a Soph, and the two Freshman(Jones, Kirk) that are playing so well, add some good recruits, and this team can make a push to win the Big 12 in a year. I can not believe this is the same Aggie team that has lost 20 straight Big 12 games before last night.
I am excited about this team this year, but given another year together, watchout next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Still pretty cool seeing aTm act like they won the championship when they beat UT.

Get over yourself, any time an unranked team beats a top 10 ranked squad, it happens.

What's going to be scary Jim is in two years. Acie will be a senior, JoJo a junior. Damn!

violentkitten
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
man get over your own damn self

im sure even aggies are tired of you making them look like idiots

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Well we can't all be as great as your candy ass.

jalbre6
01-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Congrats to you Aggies. Your team has arrived and you should get some top 25 love this next week. Jesus, beat Tech and OU and you're the favorites in the B12 South, and I don't give a shit what they say in Stillwater.

12-1 with a W over UT and the only loss by 5, in Lawrence, to #2 Kansas. Wow.

Jimcs50
01-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Congrats to you Aggies. Your team has arrived and you should get some top 25 love this next week. Jesus, beat Tech and OU and you're the favorites in the B12 South, and I don't give a shit what they say in Stillwater.

12-1 with a W over UT and the only loss by 5, in Lawrence, to #2 Kansas. Wow.

Thanks for the love, man.

jalbre6
01-13-2005, 07:00 PM
I thought A&M was a paper tiger, beating up on Schriener and Trinity. But if they can play with the same intensity the rest of the year that they showed versus KU and UT, there's no telling what might happen.

One other thing, Gillespie might be the next "it" coach, seeing what he did with UTEP before landing in Aggieland. He's young, right? Early 40's or so. Be wary the next time you hear of some traditional powerhouse needing a new head coach, 'cause he'll go.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Gillespie was a great coach at UTEP. He'll definitely be sought after. The nice thing about A&M though is that they can compete for Gill's services when it comes to the $$jack, and he may like the job security he'd have coaching a team that wouldn't necesarily be expecting a final four appearance every year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Be wary the next time you hear of some traditional powerhouse needing a new head coach, 'cause he'll go.

He's a Texan, and I think he likes it here. Bill Byrne won't lose a bidding war for any coach he wants to keep, and Billy's already calling the shots WRT the periphery aspects of the Aggie basketball program - he'll get anything he wants from Byrne.

You've gotta understand, Coach Gillispie is Byrne's (athletic director) legacy at A&M - Francione was already signed up before he got here. This is Byrne's special project, and I don't see him losing him to someone else.

In fact, I expect the day after the season is over for us to announce he's getting a new contract, hell maybe even before then.

jalbre6
01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Hmmm...I figured on this job being a stepping-stone (i.e. Bill Self's Tulsa-Illinois-Kansas job shuffle) rather than a destination for Gillespie. Didn't see it from AHF and Helicopter's perspectives.

Mr Dio
01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
It would actually be nice to see a&m do something in the post season this yr. Might even help to make up a little for that embarassing Cotton Bowl debacle.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-13-2005, 09:27 PM
jalbre,

You gotta realize Billy's roots. He was born in Graford, Tx (little tiny town). Graduated from SWT. Then got on staff as a grad assistant there. Then he coached at Copperas Cove, NB Canyon, and Killeen Ellison, and then moved on to Baylor.

He's got Texas roots through and through, and the high school coaches in the state have been incredibly receptive to one of their own making it to bigtime DI basketball.

A&M had more recruits and coaches in visiting and in attendance at the game yesterday from around the state of Texas than they ever had before (not saying much, but the Texas ties are already paying off).

And as I said, our athletic director will not be beaten out (knock on wood) for a coach he wants to keep.

violentkitten
01-14-2005, 12:28 AM
you have to realize that once he can get out of podunk usa he will

IcemanCometh
01-14-2005, 09:03 AM
if Gillespie is a good coach he will go to a good school as soon as he can

Jimcs50
01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
if Gillespie is a good coach he will go to a good school as soon as he can

I do not think so. He has said that he is taking it upon himself to make A&M a basketball power. He loves the small town atmosphere, he loves the blue collar college university makeup, he is here to stay. He is a powerful coach in Texas and the reason he is a hot comodity in Texas is he is a great recruiter in Texas. because he has a vine to almost every great HS coach in the state. This was the reason why Self hired him at Illinois. His effectiveness would be diminished somewhat anywhere else but Texas.

2centsworth
01-16-2005, 10:26 AM
This was a major turning point in A&M basketball. I don't blame them for celebrating.

Didn't AM beat UT when they had TJ Ford?

Spurminator
01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
No.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Actually A&M did beat tu with TJ Ford, in Austin no less, in 2002.

Spurminator
01-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I thought I remembered them saying during the game they hadn't beaten UT in 10 years or something.

I must have misunderstood.

Still, beating a top ten team, also a conference rival, combined with (then) a 12-1 record was a huge win... a "turning point" if you will.

2centsworth
01-16-2005, 10:53 PM
[quote]Still, beating a top ten team, also a conference rival, combined with (then) a 12-1 record was a huge win... a "turning point" if you will.[quote]

A turning point is not getting knocked out in the first round of the conference tourney.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Actually a turning point would be a .500 conference record.