PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospects

Stump
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
So the NCAA tournament is in full swing and a lot of future NBA players have had the opportunity to showcase their talent. For those who are following, who do you think would be interesting possibilities for the Spurs?

T Park
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Roy Hibbert had some Francisco Elson type games, so Im sure RC is foaming at the mouth for him.

mystargtr34
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Roy Hibbert sux ay...

Pistons < Spurs
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Spurs should look at Sam Young from Pitt assuming he enters the draft

Or Tyler Smith from Tennessee

freedom&justice
03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
You guys should probably look into drafting a SF, C, or to a lesser extent PG. Roy Hibbert definitely sucks though, he's a stiff. Can't really bring any good bigs in the conversation; don't know any.

Rynospursfan
03-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Hibbert is a fouling machine. I just hope Brandon Rush is still around for us, but I think his draft stalk will rise as Kansas gets closer to winning the championship.

Mr. Body
03-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Hibbert would have been top 10 last year. Too bad. He still could be decent (for someone).

We should look exclusively at SGs and SFs, unless someone like Darren Collison drops. As always the top and middle prospects will be out of the Spurs' range, which likely will be Batum, Buddinger, and I think now Joe Alexander (the best of the three).

Tyler Smith
Courtney Lee
Brandon Rush
Kyle Weaver

are guys to look at

I'm not so sure about

Sam Young
Will Daniels
Chris Douglas-Roberts

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2008, 07:35 AM
do we even have a 1st rounder this year

Mr. Body
03-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes.

urunobili
03-26-2008, 07:51 AM
the only thing Roy Hibbert has to offer is the size. He is a senior already and hasn't developed as NBA talent.

remingtonbo2001
03-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Can't really bring any good bigs in the conversation; don't know any.

Kevin Love.

Mr. Body
03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Kevin Love will be a lottery player, probably. Too high profile, too good, and his team might be a Final Four team. Of course you take him if he drops... D.J. White should be intriguing and might be available.

freedom&justice
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Kevin Love.

Certainly. But what I meant was bigs that are in the Spurs' draft range. Unless he slips by a lot (unlikely) Love is a lottery pick for sure.

wildbill2u
03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Hibbert would have been top 10 last year. Too bad. He still could be decent (for someone).

We should look exclusively at SGs and SFs, unless someone like Darren Collison drops. As always the top and middle prospects will be out of the Spurs' range, which likely will be Batum, Buddinger, and I think now Joe Alexander (the best of the three).

Tyler Smith
Courtney Lee
Brandon Rush
Kyle Weaver

are guys to look at

I'm not so sure about

Sam Young
Will Daniels
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Looks like there are a lot more PF and C in the top 50 draft prospects than SF. Pity.

yavozerb
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Rush in the first and Dragic in the second....I still think the offseason needs are gonna be SF #1 and PG #2...Spurs have plenty of bigs and could probably sign thomas for cheap.

Kamnik
03-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Rush in the first and Dragic in the second....I still think the offseason needs are gonna be SF #1 and PG #2...Spurs have plenty of bigs and could probably sign thomas for cheap.

This would be Slovenian Spurs fans' wet dream! :toast

Dragic has enough talent (not to mention athleticism and length) to succed in the NBA.

He shot over 70% this year for 2pt in Adriatic league this years and over 40% from 3pt range.

He has better defensive talent but worse offensive talent than Udrih per say.

But if Udrih was 1st round pick then Dragic sure as hell can be too... (late first offcourse)

Mr. Body
03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Looks like there are a lot more PF and C in the top 50 draft prospects than SF. Pity.

Yes. It does seem heavy with big men prospects. Tons of them.

John Patrick
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up for a first rounder from this country, but who knows...

CubanMustGo
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9183/01702hq8.png

SenorSpur
03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Are there better prospects at the PG and SF position coming out than either D-Wash or Marcus Williams?

pad300
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Are there better prospects at the PG and SF position coming out than either D-Wash or Marcus Williams?

At small forward, I would take Tyler Smith, Bill Walker, or Brandon Rush over Marcus Williams. Dragic is at least comparable to D-Wash...

Kyle Weaver is not a SF or PG, being rather a combo guard, however, I would take having him over either Williams or Washington on the Spurs roster. I would probably do the same with Chris Douglas Roberts (another Combo guard).

Darkwaters
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I would love to snatch up Brandon Rush. He spent a lot of the start of the season this year rehabbing his injury from last season so teams haven't had as much of a look at him this year. It might signal an opportunity to snatch him up late.

yavozerb
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes. It does seem heavy with big men prospects. Tons of them.
Not a major need for the spurs...td,splitter,mahinmi,bonner,oberto,and possibly thomas re-signing are all the bigs we need.

My squad for next year:
TP-Dragic-JV
Manu-Barry-Finley
Bowen-Udoka-Rush
TD-Thomas-Bonner
Splitter-Oberto-Mahinmi

It will be time to integrate the old with new next year...

coopdogg3
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I like Tyler Smith from Tenn in the 1st round. Marcus Dove in the 2nd round could be an interesting choice.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Dove-1084/

Bruno
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
We started to talk about the draft in another thread :
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84174

I think it is better to keep all the draft talk in a same thread instead of basically saying the same thing in different threads.

Darkwaters
03-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks Bruno

SenorSpur
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Some video on Brandon Rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkhc9hsn3sA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkX8ZdaVqQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_AGsr9QGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_LwpNq_p8

yavozerb
03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
This is some video on my 2nd round pick of Dragic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gbhG0zA5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bUiaEzhBwY

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I would love to snatch up Brandon Rush. He spent a lot of the start of the season this year rehabbing his injury from last season so teams haven't had as much of a look at him this year. It might signal an opportunity to snatch him up late.
Darkwaters sighting! :clap

Darkwaters
03-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Darkwaters sighting! :clap

Sorry, I got sent TDY to Ft. Benning for training and have been out of the loop for a few months. Literally. Glad to be back.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Sorry, I got sent TDY to Ft. Benning for training and have been out of the loop for a few months. Literally. Glad to be back.
And I'm sure most of us are glad you're back as well.

Darkwaters
03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
And I'm sure most of us are glad you're back as well.

Vielen dank.

Thanks much.

Gino2882
03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Anyone seen Josh Duncan from Xavier? This guy is 6'9 and 235 and can play the wing. He appears to be a solid defender and really solid shooter. I cant find much draft stock opinion on him.

FilSpursFan
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Spurs should consider Japeth Aguilar from WKU Hilltoppers

He's a good defender and a shotblocker

http://www.wkusports.com/profile.cgi?profile=1835

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrdcgrSQfM

AFBlue
03-27-2008, 07:45 PM

No internets on post, or did they just keep you busy?

I honestly think you didn't come around because we lacked a strong draft thread....

Galileo
03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Adopt Galileo's NBA/NCAA plan, and it will be more fun picking the NBA prospects:

Galileo's Brilliant NBA Plan!
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90532

manufor3
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
nicholas batum?

AFBlue
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
For my put...

It's hard to see fault in Brandon Rush as a G/F pick. He's got a smooth stroke and is a decent defender. The other day, while watching the tourney, I heard someone compare him to Josh Howard. I think he's probably a better shooter and worse defender, but I can see the comparison in that he sort of "blends in" and doesn't necessarily doing anything outstanding.

Sam Young making the transition to the 3 and Bill Walker being described in terms of his athleticism despite major ACL surgery sort of scares me off of either prospect. And I don't know enough of Tyler Smith to tell you one way or the other. I saw him play against UGA, but nothing stood out.

I'm also intrigued with Alexis Ajinca's potential as a perimeter-oriented 4. He's got incredible athleticism and a smooth outside game. He needs to gain about 30 pounds, but I see the Aldridge/Bosh comparison based on his skill set. Again, not saying he's ready, but if the Spurs took a chance on him in round two, it'd be hard to see a fault in the logic.

Borosai
03-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Anyone seen Josh Duncan from Xavier? This guy is 6'9 and 235 and can play the wing. He appears to be a solid defender and really solid shooter. I cant find much draft stock opinion on him.

I was thinking the same thing. He appears to have a good frame/size, plays hard and can shoot the 3 as well.

ClingingMars
03-27-2008, 11:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He appears to have a good frame/size, plays hard and can shoot the 3 as well.

he also has an eerie resemblance to timmeh, look at the face!

-Mars

anakha
03-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Spurs should consider Japeth Aguilar from WKU Hilltoppers

He's a good defender and a shotblocker

http://www.wkusports.com/profile.cgi?profile=1835

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrdcgrSQfM

While Aguilar may technically be the closest thing to the Philippines having it's first NBA player, I think he's still a long ways off.

Borosai
03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
he also has an eerie resemblance to timmeh, look at the face!

-Mars

Duncan & Duncan sounds good to me. :bike:

T Park
03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Duncan would be that illusive Dirk stopper, and would fit the athletic forward role as well.

Darkwaters
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
No internets on post, or did they just keep you busy?

I honestly think you didn't come around because we lacked a strong draft thread....

You have no idea how busy. I followed along when I could, but the NBA has seriously been on the backburner for a while. It's a pity too. Lots of good trades and a very tight race out west. Plus my prophecy about the Hornets being an elite team this year has come true. Thank you very much.

Anyways, I still like the idea of drafting Rush. I was high on the idea of snagging him last year (especially as he looked like a 2nd rounder at the time) before the injury. Nothing has changed in my opinion. You could do much worse with a late 1st round pick. And he fills an absolute need. 3 point shooter and decent defense. Plus hes a team player. Sign me up.

In the 2nd I'd really give Pekovic a hard look if hes still around with the Toronto pick. I know hes locked up for a while now in Europe, but he'd seriously give us the most bang for our buck. And without any young post scorers in the system (since we lost both Butler and Scola) it might not hurt to restock with another young gun that we can complain incessently about regarding our front office's inability to get him out of his foreign contract.

One of the guys I've been high on for a while was old Linton Johnson III. Obviously not a draft pick, but if we signed him it would change our draft picture pretty significantly. But, of course, he was just signed by another NBA team yesterday. It'll be interesting to see how he does and whether or not he sticks.

wildbill2u
03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Anyone seen Josh Duncan from Xavier? This guy is 6'9 and 235 and can play the wing. He appears to be a solid defender and really solid shooter. I cant find much draft stock opinion on him.Watched him and Joe Alexander of West Virginia last nite.

Duncan played well, even with four fouls. Seems better built to be a PF. He's not listed with a profile in Draft Express nor listed in the mock 2 round draft.

Personally I liked Alexander better because I think he'd fit our need for a SF better. Good range on shots, slasher, good rebounding and defense. But he's picked by Draft Express to go in the first 20 of round 1.

AFBlue
03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
You have no idea how busy.

You may be surprised...

Anyways, I still like the idea of drafting Rush. I was high on the idea of snagging him last year (especially as he looked like a 2nd rounder at the time) before the injury. Nothing has changed in my opinion. You could do much worse with a late 1st round pick. And he fills an absolute need. 3 point shooter and decent defense. Plus hes a team player. Sign me up.

Like I said, it's tough to find fault with Rush. Some team may get sweet on him in the mid-first round (like Bobcats with Dudley), but if he's there when the Spurs pick I think it'd be hard to pass him up.

In the 2nd I'd really give Pekovic a hard look if hes still around with the Toronto pick. I know hes locked up for a while now in Europe, but he'd seriously give us the most bang for our buck. And without any young post scorers in the system (since we lost both Butler and Scola) it might not hurt to restock with another young gun that we can complain incessently about regarding our front office's inability to get him out of his foreign contract.

Pekovic is interesting, and I apply the same thought to him as I do to Ajinca. I think both could be good for the Spurs down the road, and it's actually attractive that they're not ready to contribute right away (contractually for Pekovic and skills-wise for Ajinca) because there really isn't an open spot for them at this point.

Spurs could go with a PG or F/C in the second round that they don't intend to bring over right away and I would be more than happy with it.

One of the guys I've been high on for a while was old Linton Johnson III. Obviously not a draft pick, but if we signed him it would change our draft picture pretty significantly. But, of course, he was just signed by another NBA team yesterday. It'll be interesting to see how he does and whether or not he sticks.

Instead of LJIII, I think I'd be interested in seeing MW-AZ. That's Marcus Williams of Arizona, who has been a very efficient and productive player for the Toros this year. I think he'll be invited to camp and if there's an open roster spot, I get the feeling that he'll be on it.

I know he's still a ways off of potentially contributing for the Spurs, but that #33 pick may not have been in vain after all.

I love the time of year when we get to pour over this stuff yet again. Welcome back DW.