PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Standings...

greens
03-26-2008, 02:43 AM
I was just looking at the seeding chart here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings

It says that Houston is #3 and San Antonio is #5....But both these teams have the exact same record, 48-23. So why aren't they tied at the #3 spot, for now? Why is Houston higher?

Kori Ellis
03-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Because right now the Rockets are up 2-1 in the head-to-head matchups with the Spurs this year.

greens
03-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Because right now the Rockets are up 2-1 in the head-to-head matchups with the Spurs this year.

Oh, ok. Thanks for letting me know, Kori. I had no idea. :)

If the Spurs/Houston will be 2-2 at the end of the regular season...and will have the same record, how would NBA decide who gets which seeding spot? Sounds unlikely, but, with the crazy seedings right now, anything can happen.

SuperManu!!!
03-26-2008, 03:16 AM
I still don't get why they keep that division system. Look at utah, they still are 4 and most west teams have better records

carina_gino20
03-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Division Champs - Playoff seeding has changed this season to guarantee one of the top four seeds in each conference to division winners. The three teams and the next best team in the conference are seeded based on record.

Tiebreaker Basis
(1) Head-to-head
(2) Division record (if the teams are in the same division)
(3) Conference record
(4) Record vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(5) Record vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(6) Net points, all games

http://www.nba.com/features/2008_nifty_numbers.html

greens
03-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Carina, thanks for the info!

Allanon
03-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Games are so close this year that I think the head to head, division and maybe even conference records will play a role in seeding.

ChuckD
03-26-2008, 07:31 AM
I still don't get why they keep that division system. Look at utah, they still are 4 and most west teams have better records
Having the division winners seeded in three of the top 4 spots keeps some interest going in the regular season for the players.

Allanon
03-26-2008, 07:38 AM
I think another reason why the NBA shoves divisions down our throats is due to marketing. By making sure you get all the divisions in the Playoffs, you guarantee a geographic market.

Where would the NBA be without a Northwest division? Right now it's Utah but let's say neither Utah nor Denver qualifies for a regular spot, that would mean all of that surrounding area around would tune out during the Playoffs. Or let's say they draw a #1 matchup and get blown out. By putting them in the top 4, they would have a better chance of winniing at least 1 round.

Like it or not, the three divisions in each conference will always have a team in the Playoffs because it makes more money for the NBA.

dmac
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Division Champs - Playoff seeding has changed this season to guarantee one of the top four seeds in each conference to division winners. The three teams and the next best team in the conference are seeded based on record.

Tiebreaker Basis
(1) Head-to-head
(3) Conference record
(4) Team with player named LeBron
(5) Team with player named Kobe
(6) Team with player named Dwyane

FIFY

Indazone
03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Hornets are number 1 right now. They probably won't finish out in the top spot. In fact, there is no rhyme or reason as to figure out the top 5 positions. Who knows.

TampaDude
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
The West is so tight right now, it's still anyone's guess how the seedings will end up come playoff time. The Spurs just need to win their games and let the chips fall where they may.

Buddy Holly
03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
It's crazy that the Spurs lost four in a row fairly recently yet can move into the 3rd spot tonight.

SpursFanFirst
03-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I think another reason why the NBA shoves divisions down our throats is due to marketing. By making sure you get all the divisions in the Playoffs, you guarantee a geographic market.

Where would the NBA be without a Northwest division? Right now it's Utah but let's say neither Utah nor Denver qualifies for a regular spot, that would mean all of that surrounding area around would tune out during the Playoffs. Or let's say they draw a #1 matchup and get blown out. By putting them in the top 4, they would have a better chance of winniing at least 1 round.

Like it or not, the three divisions in each conference will always have a team in the Playoffs because it makes more money for the NBA.

As much as I hate it, this really does make sense.
I've been complaining about Utah being in the 4 seed for days. Thanks for giving me a new perspective.

TampaDude
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Even if Utah ended up #4 and SA #5, the Spurs would have HCA in the playoff matchup because of a better overall record, right?

G-Nob
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
It doesn't matter who's seated where at this point. As long as its not past #8

SpursFanFirst
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
It doesn't matter who's seated where at this point. As long as its not past #8

While this is certainly true, I think it's the principle that bothers people.
Utah is 2 1/2 games out from 1st, while the next two are 1 and 1 1/2 games out.
But no, in the end, it doesn't matter.

MajorMike
03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Even so, If things ended as they did today (with Jazz 4 and SA 5), SA still has home court over the Jazz by virtue of better record. Therefore, for all intents and purposes the Spurs are really in the #4 spot. Talk about suck, win your division and have to play an opening road series at the defending champs?? Very possible scenario.

Houston has to beat the Spurs in the series finale if they want a tie break. That will give them the #1 tie breaker (3-1 head to head). If the Spurs win (its in SA by the way) SA finishes with a 10-6 conf record (Houston is the last conf game remaining). Houston is currently 8-7 and cannot overtake SA without a better record or series win.

Wow, 7 of Houston's last 11 are on the road, to include the dreaded far NW swing on a back-to-back.

Dex
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Tiebreaker Basis
(1) Head-to-head
(3) Conference record
(4) Record vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(5) Record vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(6) Net points, all games

What happens if they get past the 6th tiebreaker? Does the universe implode?

FromWayDowntown
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Hornets are number 1 right now. They probably won't finish out in the top spot. In fact, there is no rhyme or reason as to figure out the top 5 positions. Who knows.

Interestingly, all of the Top 5 play tonight, so there might be some movement among them (if only at the top and the bottom):

NO @ CLE
CHA @ LAL
MIN @ HOU
LAC @ SA
PNX @ BOS

What's really strange about the standings at this point is the fact that so few teams hold the #1 tiebreaker against any others. By my calculations, these are the teams in the West's Top 9 who actually own the first tiebreaker outright over other teams in that group:

NO: Phoenix, Denver
LAL: Utah, Phoenix, Denver
HOU: Lakers
UTH: Phoenix, Golden State
SA: Dallas
PNX: Houston
DAL: Houston
GST: San Antonio
DEN: none

There are many remaining season series that have a one game difference with one game remaining (permitting the possibility of a tie) or have a two game difference with two games remaining:

(note: I did this very quickly, so there might be some inaccuracies -- if there are, please note it and I'll fix the list!)

NOH
Lakers (tied 1-1)
Jazz (UTH 2-1)
Dallas (NO 2-1)
Golden State (1-1)

LAL
Hornets (1-1)
San Antonio (SA 2-1)
Dallas (LA 2-1)

HOU
Utah (1-1)
San Antonio (HOU 2-1)
Denver (HOU 2-1)

UTH
Hornets (1-1)
Houston (1-1)
San Antonio (1-1, 2 left)
Dallas (UTH 2-1)
Denver (UTH 2-1)

SA
Lakers (SA 2-1)
Houston (HOU 2-1)
Phoenix (PNX 2-1)

PNX
San Antonio (PNX 2-1)
Dallas (1-1)
Golden State (GST 2-1)
Denver (1-1, 2 left)

DAL
Hornets (NO 2-1)
Lakers (LA 2-1)
Utah (UTH 2-1)
Phoenix (1-1)
Golden State (2-0, 2 left)
Denver (1-1)

GST
Hornets (1-1)
Phoenix (GST 2-1)
Denver (1-1, 2 left)

DEN
Houston (HOU 2-1)
Utah (UTH 2-1)
Phoenix (1-1, 2 left)
Dallas (1-1)
Golden State (1-1, 2 left)

If many of those split series end up being tied, the tiebreakers are going to become a complete mess.

SpursFanFirst
03-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, why did the Lakers and Rockets switch places after the Lakers lost? They have the same record.

jrmp317
03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Rockets own the season series I believe

crc21209
03-27-2008, 12:36 AM
If we are up on the Lakers 2-1 on the Season series, why are they still 3rd but were 5th then?

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
If we are up on the Lakers 2-1 on the Season series, why are they still 3rd but were 5th then?

They lead their division...

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-27-2008, 12:39 AM
they are in 3rd because they lead the pacific division.

Agloco
03-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Even if Utah ended up #4 and SA #5, the Spurs would have HCA in the playoff matchup because of a better overall record, right?

I want to say yes to this. I know for sure in the second round and after this would be true. I believe the seedings are strictly to determine who plays who. I believe HCA is determined by overall record after that.

FromWayDowntown
03-27-2008, 07:29 AM
I want to say yes to this. I know for sure in the second round and after this would be true. I believe the seedings are strictly to determine who plays who. I believe HCA is determined by overall record after that.

Utah was the #4 seed last year and started Round 1 on the road in Houston:

http://www.nba.com/games/20070421/UTAHOU/boxscore.html