PDA

View Full Version : Gallup Poll: Many Democrats Ready to Vote McCain if Their First Choice Doesn’t Make I

George Gervin's Afro
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Home | Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Top Story
Gallup Poll: Many Democrats Ready to Vote McCain if Their First Choice Doesn’t Make It to November
by FOXNews.com
Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Facebook Stumble Upon del.icio.us Digg Email

Many Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama supporters are ready to spurn the Democratic party and vote for John McCain in November if their candidate doesn’t win the presidential nomination, according to a new poll out Wednesday.

And a second poll out Wednesday shows most voters — including 85 percent of Democrats — believe there’s a chance that the battle between Clinton and Obama will not be resolved before the August convention.

Among people who identified themselves as Hillary Clinton supporters, 28 percent said they would vote for McCain if Obama is his opponent, the March 7-22 Gallup Poll Daily election tracking survey found.

The same poll found that 19 percent of Obama supporters would switch sides and cast ballots for McCain if Clinton is the Democratic candidate.

The survey interviewed 6,657 Democratic voters nationwide and had a margin of error of 2 percent.

Click here to read the Gallup Poll discussion of the survey.

Gallup analysts note that the results could change by November, by which time Democrats will have made great efforts to unify the party.

Gallup analysts also noted that voters tend to threaten party desertion but don’t necessarily do so. A recent Gallup survey found that 11 percent of Republican voters said they would vote for a different party or not at all if McCain doesn’t pick a running mate who is more conservative than he is.

Historically, the party-switch factor has shown to be less dramatic, Gallup analysts said. Less than 10 percent of Republicans and Democrats crossed party lines in pre-election Gallup polls from 1992 to 2004.

In the second poll, Rasmussen Reports found that 87 percent of all voters — and 85 percent of Democrats — believe it is “somewhat likely” that both Clinton and Obama will remain in the race until the convention. Fifty-two percent of Democrats said it is “very likely” the nomination won’t be decided until the convention.

The Rasmussen poll (March 24-25, 800 likely voters, +/- 4 percentage points) also found that there’s equal dislike on either side of the Democratic race for the rival candidate: 22 percent of both Clinton and Obama supporters said they believe the other candidate should drop out of the race.

I predicted this a couple of weeks back..

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88729

I am a genious.. or master of the obvious..

ChumpDumper
03-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Democrats continue to amaze with their stupidity.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Democrats continue to amaze with their stupidity.amen. another fine example
AgkrX-NSt6Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkrX-NSt6Q

ChumpDumper
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Nah, that was actually pretty funny.

smeagol
03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh so true . . .

Only way out is an Obama-Hillary, or Hillary-Obama ticket.

But they are so stupid, it will not happen . . .

RandomGuy
03-26-2008, 02:50 PM

I think that, in the end, their dislike of GW will trump any built-up acrimony.

Especially if, in the end, the loser really steps up to the plate and campaigns hard for the winner.

florige
03-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Especially if, in the end, the loser really steps up to the plate and campaigns hard for the winner.

:lol I doubt that would ever happen either! Too much animosity between the two imo.

PixelPusher
03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Let me know what that poll says in September, October or November.

Don Quixote
03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
No, Democrats ought to vote for the one they truly want. If Hillary manages to wrest/steal the Democrat nomination, there is no reason for Obama supporters to vote for someone they hate (Hillary). There's a spot on the bottom of their ballot to write in the person of their choosing.

And the same goes if Obama somehow manages to get the Democratic nod. Hillary supporters ought to take this opportunity to voice their displeasure, and still vote for their girl, Hillary. Or McCain.

Really! I mean it. Who says you have to vote for your party's nominee?

RandomGuy
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
:lol I doubt that would ever happen either! Too much animosity between the two imo.

If there was one thing that could unite the Democrats it is GW Bush. He is the "Uniter" after all...

I don't see Clinton really swallowing her pride and campaigning for Obama, but the Democratic chairman might well force her to do more than she would like...

Don Quixote
03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
The Clintons will not admit defeat. The Presidency is their birthright. But, really, I want to lend my support to those who feel like they might feel disenfranchised by the coming convention in Denver. (It promises to be much more interesting than the GOP one.) If Hillary manages to swipe the superdelegates and get the nod, who says you have to vote for her? Write in your man, Obama! Or Gore, or Nader, or Edwards. This is America!

BTW ... is George W. on the ballot this Nov.?

RandomGuy
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
The Clintons will not admit defeat. The Presidency is their birthright. But, really, I want to lend my support to those who feel like they might feel disenfranchised by the coming convention in Denver. (It promises to be much more interesting than the GOP one.) If Hillary manages to swipe the superdelegates and get the nod, who says you have to vote for her? Write in your man, Obama! Or Gore, or Nader, or Edwards. This is America!

BTW ... is George W. on the ballot this Nov.?

If that happens I will still vote for Hillary over McCain.

That says a lot from a guy who has a "McCain 2000" t-shirt in his closet. Neat momento.

possessed
03-26-2008, 06:54 PM

If Dubya was running for a third term, then maybe.

Clandestino
03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
My mother is a hardcore democrat and she says it is Clinton or nothing.

florige
03-27-2008, 07:33 AM
If there was one thing that could unite the Democrats it is GW Bush. He is the "Uniter" after all...

I don't see Clinton really swallowing her pride and campaigning for Obama, but the Democratic chairman might well force her to do more than she would like...

Yeah you have a point there. But to be honest I can't see why Hillary supporters wouldn't want to stand behind Obama unless it's REALLY because if the issues, or the experience thing. But I could totally understand Obama supporters not wanting to follow Clinton if she somehow gets the nod. The win at any cost thing erks me with her. Before the whole thing started I really had no problem being behind her if Obama were to lose. But all the mudslinging, dirty politics, and that win at any cost thing no matter how damaging to the party is enough alone to have me vote for someone else. But thats just me.

George Gervin's Afro
03-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah you have a point there. But to be honest I can't see why Hillary supporters wouldn't want to stand behind Obama unless it's REALLY because if the issues, or the experience thing. But I could totally understand Obama supporters not wanting to follow Clinton if she somehow gets the nod. The win at any cost thing erks me with her. Before the whole thing started I really had no problem being behind her if Obama were to lose. But all the mudslinging, dirty politics, and that win at any cost thing no matter how damaging to the party is enough alone to have me vote for someone else. But thats just me.

What has Clinton done during this election cycle that hasn't been done before?

florige
03-27-2008, 09:22 AM
What has Clinton done during this election cycle that hasn't been done before?

Yeah it's funny I thought that very same thing as I wrote some of that stuff. To me she just seems to be taking it a bit further, but that could just be the biased talking in me too.

George Gervin's Afro
03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah it's funny I thought that very same thing as I wrote some of that stuff. To me she just seems to be taking it a bit further, but that could just be the biased talking in me too.

Before this election cyle I had the same feelings towards the Clintons that you do now. I think I did primarily is because I listen to talk radio so much. Then one day it dawned on me that I had never heard of an example of the 'clinton tactics'. So from that day on I always ask people what the Clintons do that other politicians don't. I am not going to proclaim them as saints or completely innocent of all charges but to this day not one person has been able to provide me with an example of their tactics. I have since figured out that they are held to very different standards than everyone else. Personally I don't think it's fair to them and alot of this hate has just been perpetuated by the media and talk radio. As an example I heard on the yawn Whannity show about a 'report out of the Clinton camp' detailing an action that seemed to questionable.. no need to verify so he expounded on that point to further illustrate the evilness of the Clintons.. Of course the minions started calling in talkling about his 'report out of the clinton camp'..

florige
03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Before this election cyle I had the same feelings towards the Clintons that you do now. I think I did primarily is because I listen to talk radio so much. Then one day it dawned on me that I had never heard of an example of the 'clinton tactics'. So from that day on I always ask people what the Clintons do that other politicians don't. I am not going to proclaim them as saints or completely innocent of all charges but to this day not one person has been able to provide me with an example of their tactics. I have since figured out that they are held to very different standards than everyone else. Personally I don't think it's fair to them and alot of this hate has just been perpetuated by the media and talk radio. As an example I heard on the yawn Whannity show about a 'report out of the Clinton camp' detailing an action that seemed to questionable.. no need to verify so he expounded on that point to further illustrate the evilness of the Clintons.. Of course the minions started calling in talkling about his 'report out of the clinton camp'..

Funny you mention that. There is a station too here in MD that I listen too in the mornings on my way home from work. Now while this station "claims" to me unbiased, it's funny that they are STEADY Clinton bashers. There is this one (so-called, :rolleyes ) Republican correspondant who claims to be a Republican, but the more I hear this guy talk I have come to question his party affiliation. :lol There have been some people who have called in and questioned the station for all the constant Hillary bashing because they claim to be unbiased. I think to level the playing field they should have someone from Hillary's camp, and Obama's camp to both state their opinions rather than just from one side all the time. While I like Obama, I still would have to agree with the callers who say that Hillary gets no real fair shot on that particular station.

inconvertible
03-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I won't

George Gervin's Afro
03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Funny you mention that. There is a station too here in MD that I listen too in the mornings on my way home from work. Now while this station "claims" to me unbiased, it's funny that they are STEADY Clinton bashers. There is this one (so-called, :rolleyes ) Republican correspondant who claims to be a Republican, but the more I hear this guy talk I have come to question his party affiliation. :lol There have been some people who have called in and questioned the station for all the constant Hillary bashing because they claim to be unbiased. I think to level the playing field they should have someone from Hillary's camp, and Obama's camp to both state their opinions rather than just from one side all the time. While I like Obama, I still would have to agree with the callers who say that Hillary gets no real fair shot on that particular station.

People hate the Clintons 'just because'. If my 5 yr old told me hated someone for no reason I would explain to him that hating somone for no reason doesn't make any sense. But most adults don't really need a reason to hate they just do..

florige
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
People hate the Clintons 'just because'. If my 5 yr old told me hated someone for no reason I would explain to him that hating somone for no reason doesn't make any sense. But most adults don't really need a reason to hate they just do..

I mean some of the points they bring out about Clinton are true, it's just that Obama is not a saint either I'm sure. All I'm saying is give people the whole story, just not the side that you want them to hear.

Wild Cobra
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Too bad Mickey Mouse isn't on the ballot. We have to do a write-in for him...

GaryJohnston
03-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I predicted this a couple of weeks back..

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88729

I am a genious.. or master of the obvious..

Fox news fair and balanced reporting projected that months ago. You watch?

George Gervin's Afro
03-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Fox news fair and balanced reporting projected that months ago. You watch?

am i supposed to take your word on that? the date on this story is 3/26/08...