PDA

View Full Version : ESPN David Thorpe on Ian/Tiago

texasqb2
03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Cash IZ Clay (S.A.): Give us Spurs fans some information on our future, what do you think of Spur prospects Ian Manihimi and Tiago Splitter? Are these guys rotation players next season? I am hopeful that they are ready to take a role similiar to what Detroit is doing this season with Jason Maxiwell and Amir Johnson. What do you think Thorpe?

David Thorpe: Ian looks like he has mega-talent. Not as high on Tiago.

CubanMustGo
03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Who is David Thorpe and has he actually seen the two players?

thispego
03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
lol mega-talent

tav1
03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Thorpe is a good guy and shouldn't be dismissed. It's encouraging to hear his high praise of Ian.

mystargtr34
03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
He coaches players in the off-season...

Basically sounds like he hasnt ever seen Splitter....

ploto
03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Ian looks like he has mega-talent. Not as high on Tiago.

Actually, I would think that Tiago is considered more talented basketball-wise while Ian is more athletic.

ducks
03-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Actually, I would think that Tiago is considered more talented basketball-wise while Ian is more athletic.
and you know this because you seen tiago play ?

timvp
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm guessing Thorpe couldn't pick Mahinmi out of a photo lineup. I'd be pretty surprised if he's seen him play. Hopefully I'm wrong. Although, I've never been too impressed with his scouting reports on players. He was hyping up Joakim Noah as the second coming of Wilt Chamberlain before the draft. He also said Zabian Dowdell or whatever his name was would be picked in the first round.

Spurs Brazil
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm guessing Thorpe couldn't pick Mahinmi out of a photo lineup.

:lol

K-State Spur
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
thorpe's a good guy, but he's clearly biased towards the guys he's worked with, plus you get the feeling that he doesn't really do much research regarding the guys he hasn't.

mystargtr34
03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
ploto is right for once... Tiago is far more skilled but i guess physical gifts count as talent also.

Ian looks like hes grown to about 7'0" in Bruno's photo of him with Bruce.

Tiago is also 7'0" in shoes ... so that combination with his skills and IQ should translate well in the league i would think

ClingingMars
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
He also said Zabian Dowdell or whatever his name was would be picked in the first round.

LOL OVERHYPED HOAKIE

-Mars

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Cash IZ Clay (S.A.): Give us Spurs fans some information on our future, what do you think of Spur prospects Ian Manihimi and Tiago Splitter? Are these guys rotation players next season? I am hopeful that they are ready to take a role similiar to what Detroit is doing this season with Jason Maxiwell and Amir Johnson. What do you think Thorpe?

In the mind of David Thorpe: * Who the f--- is Tiago Splitter? Googling...Googling....here he is....got dang white Euro mofo....I can't ever figure out these crappy Euro league boxscores...are his stats in liters or metres...oh well. Now let's look up Ian Mahimi... Mannimini...Manihiney.....aw screw it! *

David Thorpe: Ian looks like he has mega-talent. Not as high on Tiago.

Fixed

djohn14
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Fixed
HAHA yes. But hey Mahinmi probably is a mega-talent...at chess or something.

T Park
03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Mahinmi will be good, tiago better.

Simple as that.

GrandeDavid
03-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Ian definitely has an NBA body and serious raw athleticism. I love his potential. I love Splitter's attitude and scrappiness and love him on the Brazilian national team. How he will translate into an NBA talent is another story. I'm holding high hopes, obviously, but really have no clue if he'll be good or bad. I think his will to win and work ethic will give him a good shot. Also, being young with some size helps. One thing to take into consideration is that he's been playing pro ball since he was 15, so I'm wondering if he might have some wear and tear, but then I temper that comment with the fact that no league imposes wear and tear like the 82 game NBA grind, not including playoffs.

TDMVPDPOY
03-27-2008, 12:19 AM
if only ian had the mental capacity like d12, working your ass off in the offseason, putting on muscle = MONSTA

O-Factor
03-27-2008, 12:19 AM
So can we expect to see these guys on the team next year, or one of them at least. It be nice to infuse some young talent now that can learn from our veterans.

ChumpDumper
03-27-2008, 03:27 AM
I think Tiago could be a real contributor next season. Ian will take a couple more years but ultimately has a higher ceiling.

mathbzh
03-27-2008, 04:15 AM
if only ian had the mental capacity like d12, working your ass off in the offseason, putting on muscle = MONSTA

When I see his improvment rate, I am convinced Ian has this mental capacity (but I am not sure Ian should try to emulate D12).

Bruno
03-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Ian looks like hes grown to about 7'0" in Bruno's photo of him with Bruce.

This picture is old (summer 2005).
Mahinmi was 6'10.3" without shoes last year.
Splitter has been measured at 6'10.25" without shoes in 2004 (6'11.75" in shoes). Maybe he has has grown a little since that.

Unlike most athletic seven footer, Mahinmi has some nice skills. When you consider Mahinmi's size, freakish athleticism, skills, improvements and attitude, you can be really optimistic about him. Saying that, it's "only" the D-League and the road is still long.

JPB
03-27-2008, 05:52 AM
I think Tiago could be a real contributor next season. Ian will take a couple more years but ultimately has a higher ceiling.

I Agree.

Tiago could put a Scola next year, taking a starting job by the end of the season if he gets the system.

I'd also take next year to put Ian in the roster and make him learn the NBA.

The good thing is that spurs have two young promising big men at the same time.
It could create emulation and stimulation between them and take some pressure off if one is struggling. Hopefully, both won't.

GSH
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Shouldn't "mega-talent" be reserved for those players that are at least capable of coming right out of high school into the... D-League? I mean, a couple of years of Euro-pro ball, then the D-league. I'd call him a mega-project.

mathbzh
03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Ian came right into the NBA and had the best efficiency/min :rolleyes
Hollinger could probably make a case for Ian as 2008 MVP :p:

tav1
03-27-2008, 09:06 AM
This thread is much ado about nothing, but I had an exchange with Thorpe a few months back. He has seen Mahinmi play and he rated him alongside or in front of notable guys with whom he has/is working.

Thorpe typically categorizes guys in terms of talent (raw ability), skills (applied, refined talent) intelligence and intangibles (heart, work ethic, decent citizen, etc...). He'll often say something along the line of "so and so is very talented, but not very skilled..." So when he says that Mahinmi is a "mega-talent" this does not necessarily mean that he has arrived. It just means that he has the giftedness needed to succeed.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I am assuming both will play in the Summer League?

waly.mg
03-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Tiago was Scola Backup in the TAU, isnīt a great player, may be the Next Fabri Oberto

Agloco
03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Hell, we got by with Nazr "hands of stone" Mohammed in the lineup. Tiago is definitely a good upgrade from that.

A Tiago/Timmy combo along with Fabby and Kurt on the bench would give us a good big man rotation.

I think Ian could use another year of D-League development before he comes over to the bigs again. His fundamentals need some ironing out and he needs those coming into an intricate system like ours.

anjlbitz
03-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Tiago was Scola Backup in the TAU, isnīt a great player, may be the Next Fabri Oberto

I thought Tiago started at C and Scola at PF?

wildchild
03-27-2008, 09:35 AM

as Tiago was Scola backup in TAU, Scola was Oberto's backup in TAU for years. Scola was started when Oberto left Tau.

What's the problem with Ian or Tiago? We need both.

Bruno
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I thought Tiago started at C and Scola at PF?

yes, you're right.

ChumpDumper
03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Tiago was Scola Backup in the TAU, isnīt a great player, may be the Next Fabri ObertoHe's not Argentinian, so he sucks.

Bruno
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I am assuming both will play in the Summer League?

I think both won't play.

It's almost sure for Splitter who will have a qualifying Olympic tournament with Brazil.
I don't think Mahinmi will play in SL. He should play with French NT this summer. Given that French NT will start to practice soon this year and that SL starts one week later this year, I don't think Mahinmi will be able to do both.

urunobili
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I think both won't play.

It's almost sure for Splitter who will have a qualifying Olympic tournament with Brazil.
I don't think Mahinmi will play in SL. He should play with French NT this summer. Given that French NT will start to practice soon this year and that SL starts one week later this year, I don't think Mahinmi will be able to do both.
do you think he will be invited at all to be part of the French NT?

Bruno
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
do you think he will be invited at all to be part of the French NT?

Some French players won't play this summer and NT will start practices with 24 players. I think Mahinmi will be in these 24 without a doubt. Mahinmi has also a good relationship with French NT new coach.
French NT coach will be in Austin in one week to talk with Mahinmi about French NT.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM

And I'm sure Tiago being more talented has nothing to do with the fact he's white, does it ploto?

Spurs Brazil
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I think both won't play.

That's true Bruno

Tiago will play for Brazil NT so he won't play in Summer League

texasqb2
03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing Thorpe couldn't pick Mahinmi out of a photo lineup. I'd be pretty surprised if he's seen him play. Hopefully I'm wrong. Although, I've never been too impressed with his scouting reports on players. He was hyping up Joakim Noah as the second coming of Wilt Chamberlain before the draft. He also said Zabian Dowdell or whatever his name was would be picked in the first round.

Uhm...Noah just turned 23 and appears to be a future all-star, so I wouldn't discount him as being a very good player just yet.

clubalien
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Mahinmi will be good, tiago better.

Simple as that.
no doubt tiago is good. but ian is the future one of the best big man and a mega talent

Holt's Cat
03-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Ian blocking shots, grabbing boards, running the floor, and sending the rock home. :smokin

Spurminator
03-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Uhm...Noah just turned 23 and appears to be a future all-star, so I wouldn't discount him as being a very good player just yet.

Noah has room to improve but I've seen nothing from him to suggest he will even sniff an All Star Game.

FilSpursFan
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I cant wait to see these two players play....

:madrun :madrun :madrun