PDA

View Full Version : Nene to play tomorrow?

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
He said 2 days ago that he wasnt close but things seemed to have changed. Just to see him suited up and getting a few minutes would be huge! :clap :fro

Nuggets' coach George Karl said from the team's practice Wednesday that it's possible power forward Nene will dress out for Thursday's home game against Dallas.

If activated, Nene will be able to play, though it's unlikely he would play extended minutes.

On Monday, Nene said he didn't think his body was ready for five-on-five drills. But on Wednesday, he participated in full practice.

Nene has worked his way back after having surgery for testicular cancer in January. The 25-year-old most recently underwent a single chemotherapy session on Feb. 26.

The Nuggets host the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday at the Pepsi Center

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_8704850

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-27-2008, 03:10 AM
As Nuggets coach George Karl walked past Nene in the hallway Wednesday, he was able to pay the big man a compliment from the heart of one cancer survivor to another.

"Best player on the court today," Karl said without a hint of sarcasm. "I have prejudicial eyes."

Nene could have shared the court with the 1992 Dream Team and he would have stolen the show. And another emotional appearance could take place at the Pepsi Center tonight.

After grinding his way through his first scrimmage since early January, the 25-year-old power forward is expected to be in uniform and might even play a few minutes when the Nuggets face the Dallas Mavericks.

The preliminary plan is for Nene to play about five minutes - a small amount for most players but a major milestone in the soft-spoken Brazilian's ongoing recovery from testicular cancer.

"It's going to be (a) special day in my life," he said. "Just five minutes, not much. Just to feel part of the process. It's going to be like 50 minutes. I just hope and hold yourself emotionally. I'm nervous about that."

The decision to return came after Nene solicited advice from a number of people, including Nuggets strength coach Steve Hess, his family, his fiancee and his personal manager.

"I called my pastor after practice, too," Nene said. "He say that 'It is time to come back. God is going to be with you. You're going to surprise everybody around.' "

Ten weeks removed from surgery to remove a malignant testicular tumor, Nene surprised his teammates when he took the practice court Wednesday.

To this point, Nene had been limited to shooting drills, light running and one-on-one games.

"I didn't think he was going to practice," center Marcus Camby, one of Nene's closest friends on the team, told the Rocky Mountain News. "It was a surprise to everybody. We had three guys that didn't practice. Nene, ironically, made 10 (who did practice). It was good to see him out there."

The practice was closed to the media, but Camby said Nene was extremely active, taking plenty of shots and even throwing down dunks with authority.

"Actually, he was a ball hog," Camby joked. "We told him to be aggressive and go shoot, get your rhythm and play like you normally play. Slowly but surely, he's getting there.

"Honestly, I thought he looked real good, for him being out as long as he'd been out and being through what he'd been through."

Nene's comeback certainly will provide inspiration to a team fighting for a playoff spot in the Western Conference, but his ability to contribute to the playoff push remains in question.

He admitted to being tired and sore after Wednesday's practice and his conditioning is sure to be a factor as he tries to get back in "game shape."

"As for his role on this team right now, I think, as a whole, we've moved past (his extended absence) and it's going to be tough for him to get minutes," Camby said.

Camby and Kenyon Martin have been the main men in the middle for most of the season, with Eduardo Najera serving as a capable - but undersized - center/power forward off the bench.

At 6-foot-11, 250 pounds, Nene gives the Nuggets added bulk that is sorely needed against Western Conference big men such as Carlos Boozer, Tim Duncan, Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'Neal.

"Is (Nene) not a physical player? His presence is very obvious," Karl said. "When we have him and Marcus on the court together, we're big. When we don't, we're kind of figuring it out."

Karl, a prostate cancer survivor, is willing to be flexible with Nene's recovery schedule, knowing any production is a glorious bonus.

"As I've told (Nene) 100 times, it's not about him anymore," Karl said. "It's about, 'We just need him to get back,' and we want to be a part of him celebrating his conquering a very difficult situation."

As part of his recovery, Nene endured a chemotherapy session in February and still was feeling the effects of the radiation as recently as last week. Only two days ago, he talked about how his body literally would shake after a workout.

Those obstacles have worn on Nene mentally and physically, but he and his support group have come to the conclusion that he is ready to take the next step. He is ready for an NBA game.

"I need to show it to myself, too," he said. "It's going to be different. I will be limited. Like the Bible say, 'What don't kill you is going to make you stronger,' and that is definitely going to make me stronger. God is with me

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/26/nene-expects-to-play-thursday/

This is awesome! Nuggets need a big body to harass some of the bigger guys in the West. It will be a slow process but hopefully they will make the playoffs and nene will get in some kind of rhythm.

Streakyshooter08
03-27-2008, 05:25 AM
I wish Nene all the best. Tonight is a HUGE game for the Nuggets and Dallas. It will be interesting to see who pulls out the victory.

Bruno
03-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Great news. :tu

Spurs Brazil
03-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Great news

Go Nene

Nuggets' Nene expected to play five minutes in return to court
Associated Press

Updated: March 27, 2008, 2:30 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
DENVER -- Denver Nuggets forward Nene is planning to returning to action Thursday, 2½ months after undergoing surgery to remove a malignant testicular tumor.

Nene
He planned to play about five minutes against the Dallas Mavericks om Thursday night.

Nene participated in a full scrimmage Wednesday and in the team's shootaround Thursday. Before that, he had been limited to shooting, light running and 1-on-1 drills.

Nene underwent a single dose of chemotherapy last month. He averaged 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds before his illness.

The Brazilian player took an indefinite leave of absence from the team on Jan. 11.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3315585

Crookshanks
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
This could prove to be the one thing the Nuggets need to get this much-needed win. I'm sure it will be an emotional game - but I wouldn't want to be the Mavs tonight!

duncan228
03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm glad for him.
Chemo and radiation aren't easy to go through. To be able to get back on the court so soon is wonderful. I wish him the best.

Medvedenko
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes Go Nene and hopefully the nuggs make the playoffs...at who's expense though.

Indazone
03-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome back Nene! Now go help your team knock the Mavs outta the playoffs lol.

mikejones99
03-27-2008, 07:16 PM
denver wins and that would begin to knock dallas out of the playoffs.