PDA

View Full Version : Who was the real Dick in the Kobe and Shaq fued?

LakeShow
03-27-2008, 01:59 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/592/story/471668.html

BY MICHAEL WALLACE
[email protected]
Heat head coach Pat Riley and center Shaquille O'Neal during happier times. On Wednesday Riley shot back after O'Neal ripped former players, saying "I'm actually on a team again," about his trade to Phoenix.
ISSAC BALDIZON / NBAE-GETTY IMAGES
Heat head coach Pat Riley and center Shaquille O'Neal during happier times. On Wednesday Riley shot back after O'Neal ripped former players, saying "I'm actually on a team again," about his trade to Phoenix.

NEW YORK --
The Heat had one of its best defensive efforts Wednesday night. It just so happened to come off the court before its game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Heat players and coaches shot back at center Shaquille O'Neal, who ripped his former teammates for the second time in as many weeks, this time in a Boston Globe article published Wednesday.

The Heat traded an injured and disgruntled O'Neal on Feb. 6 to Phoenix for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.

Before the trade, O'Neal clashed with coach Pat Riley and complained about his teammates' inability to get him the ball and their ineffective play earlier in the season.

The Suns initially struggled after the trade but won seven of eight entering Wednesday night's game at Boston.

''I love playing for this coach and I love playing with these guys,'' O'Neal was quoted as saying in The Boston Globe about Suns coach Mike D'Antoni and his new teammates. ``We have professionals who know what to do. No one is asking me to play with [Heat guards] Chris Quinn or Ricky Davis. I'm actually on a team again.''

Quinn and Davis were stunned and disappointed when they learned of O'Neal's comments before Wednesday's game.

Davis, acquired at the start of the season from Minnesota, initially struggled to find a rhythm with O'Neal, with the two appearing openly frustrated at times on the court.

But Davis said he didn't believe a serious problem existed between them.

''You can't really take stuff personal in the NBA -- you'd go crazy,'' Davis said. ``Shaq's a big guy, whatever. If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. It shows his true colors.''

O'Neal never appeared to have a problem with Quinn, one of the few players who consistently made shots on the perimeter and capitalized when defenders crowded O'Neal.

''To be honest with you, I don't have too much to say about it,'' said Quinn, a second-year guard who was undrafted out of Notre Dame.

``I don't know. But it didn't hurt me.''

Riley did find the comments painful, particularly ones attributed to O'Neal in a Sports Illustrated story last week, when O'Neal, 36, questioned how effectively the Heat's medical staff treated his ailing left hip and thigh.

O'Neal missed 19 of 23 games before the trade -- including three when he left the team in January for treatment in Los Angeles.

''[The Heat] tried to use everything as an excuse,'' O'Neal told Sports Illustrated. ``They couldn't figure out what the pain was, so it had to be something with me. The Suns are taking care of me here. I'm feeling better every day.''

Riley took issue with that claim.

''It's really a shame that he would insult those people like that, because they gave him care,'' Riley said of Selesnick and Heat trainer Ron Culp. ``They didn't kiss his butt. They cared about trying to get him well. He can do whatever he wants to with me. I don't care. What upsets me is that those men sort of get tainted.''

Riley said it was ''sad'' that O'Neal has taken aim at his former team after 3 ½ seasons that included a 2006 championship. But since the title, O'Neal's time in Miami has been marred by injuries and losses.

The Heat, 9-39 when O'Neal was traded, entered Wednesday an NBA-worst 13-57. Earlier in the season, O'Neal and Riley had to be separated by Alonzo Mourning during a heated moment in practice. O'Neal asked to be bought out or traded as early as December. Riley said the Heat showed ''tremendous respect'' for O'Neal by sending him to a Suns team contending for a championship.

''Everybody was at fault. Everybody was feeling bad and nobody wanted that,'' Riley said.

``He didn't want to be here. We sent him to Utopia and we're here left with the carnage. I don't know why he's not happy.''

O'Neal has a history of bitter breakups with his former teams. He left Orlando after a feud with Penny Hardaway in 1996. O'Neal left the Lakers in 2004 after his relationship with Kobe Bryant soured.

''I just think it's sad that he's got to do that,'' Riley said. ``I wish him nothing but the best.''

SAtown
03-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Shaq was the dick, Kobe was the pussy.

mavs>spurs2
03-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I clicked Kobe for fun, disregard that shit. My vote is for Shaq, the only thing bigger than he is, is his ego.

Purple & Gold
03-27-2008, 02:17 AM
I blame Shaq, he was older and should have been more of the adult.

SpursPreacher
03-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Cant we vote for both ? I mean its like who was worse hitler or stalin

J_Paco
03-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Shaq and Kobe really were both to blame.

Damn though, Shaq has to be the biggest asshole, loud-mouth, backstabbing-est superstar ever. Miami could've ate that contract, to their own detriment, but instead they trade that motherfucker to a contending team like Phoenix.

Now, look at the kind of comments that asshole makes. Talk about being completely ungrateful to a team that helped you (and themselves) out of two bad situations.

He's flamed-out everywhere he's been, and eventually Phoenix fans will feel like Laker, Heat and Magic fans before them. \

JamStone
03-27-2008, 03:18 AM
Need two more options: Both and Jerry Buss.

ludda
03-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Why the fuck is the guy dissing former teammates and even the trainers when he clearly played like shit and gave up on his team? Oh wait...it's Shaq.

Kamnik
03-27-2008, 05:15 AM

sounds right on several levels...

I always liked shaq and found him funny but this shit went to far. You dont do/say that....

ChuckD
03-27-2008, 07:58 AM
This reminds me of the only time I ever actually heard David Robinson diss anyone. Shaq had just released his first book, and the writers all asked David how he felt about being in the book. David responded something like "Shaq has a book? Does it have lots of pictures in it?" :rollin

stretch
03-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Shaq is the biggest asshole in the NBA.

MajorMike
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Kobe should shoulder his share of the blame, but when a guy has a bitter divorce with 3 different teams I'd say it is pretty evident.

AZLouis
03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Shaq for being a lazy a-hole.

Kobe for being an a-hole who sold out Shaq after being questioned by the police.

1Parker1
03-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I never saw Shaq jumping into the stands for a lose ball or diving to the floor to save a ball from going out of bounce. Maybe if he had given this much effort as he has been with the Suns, early this season, the Heat wouldn't be in the lottery right now...

TheNextGen
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Its getting pretty obvious who the bad one in the relationship was. Sucks for Kobe to get blame for trying to work hard. Remember when the fued was going on, Kobe's criticism of Shaq was he was out of shape.

E20
03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
LMAO at the David Robinson comment that gave me a good laugh by imagining Dave actually saying that.

nkdlunch
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
BOTH. add that option

LakeShow
03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
We all know that Mitch and Shaq had everything to do with Shaq leaving but this is about Kobe and Shaq's personal fued. I like shaq but I hate when he disses his team mates. I voted for Shaq because like P&G said, Kobe was a Kid. Shaq should have taken him under his wing, instead Shaq was jealous of the attention Kobe was receiving. He hated that SC showed nothing but Kobe highlights when the played.

stretch
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Shaq is a total bitch. I've said, off the court, hes probably a cool dude, but in basketball, he's as bitch-made of a player as the league has ever seen.

lefty
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I blame Shaq, he was older and should have been more of the adult.

It's not like Kobe was 15 y/o either; Kobe should have acted as an adult too

lefty
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Shaq is a total bitch. I've said, off the court, hes probably a cool dude, but in basketball, he's as bitch-made of a player as the league has ever seen.

+1

I think Shaq is a good guy off the court, but I hate him as a player

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Both

Kobe62Mavs61
03-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Fuck Shaq!

:devil

The Nba Is Rigged
03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
A couple of years ago I thought it was Kobe but now I know it was Shaq, and besides this proves it http://youtube.com/watch?v=9qQPBt7QW5Q

baseline bum
03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Fuck 'em both.

Obstructed_View
03-28-2008, 12:41 AM
They're both petulant little prima donnas and neither of them is remotely as blameless as he'd like to make everyone think.

Whisky Dog
03-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Shaq probably isn't a good guy off the court either. He's a backstabber no matter where he's at or what he's doing. He's burned bridges and pissed people off everywhere he's been, and he's taken many cheap shots at people (Chris Quinn?? WTF?) that you would think hadn't done jack shit to him.

No wonder he's divorced and his wife is claiming he has a small pecker.

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Kobe, just cause he fucked the wrong bitch, doesn't mean he could throw another male under the bus along with him.

whottt
03-29-2008, 05:55 AM
This reminds me of the only time I ever actually heard David Robinson diss anyone. Shaq had just released his first book, and the writers all asked David how he felt about being in the book. David responded something like "Shaq has a book? Does it have lots of pictures in it?" :rollin

In Shaq's book Shaq compltely trashed DRob. Said he couldn't believe that soft ass bitch won a title before him.

He also lied about Drob dissing him for an autograph in highschool....Said when Drob came to the Spurs he was in highschool in SA and DRob refused to give him an autograph.

Was a lie because he was already going to LSU when DRob came to the Spurs.

So they asked Drob was he thought about the comments in Shaq's book and DRob said, "Shaq wrote a book? Must have been a coloring book". :lol

Drob and Shaq, they had some issues...the biggest one being that Drob whipped dogshit out of Shaq his first 4 years in the NBA.

Cherry
03-29-2008, 07:02 AM

haaaaaaa! :lol

mavsfan1000
03-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Both. Both big time arrogant assholes.

Hemotivo
03-29-2008, 12:24 PM

JamStone
03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Shaq seems like a really good guy if you're on his good side, but he'll turn on you quick. Almost pretentious in his personality. Kobe seems like an introvert off the court and would rather be private, but he doesn't appear to put on a front. He's pretty much a dick and he knows it and won't try to pretend he's not.

Both are dicks. But, Shaq tries to pretend he's not. Kobe knows he is and doesn't really hide it.

Trainwreck2100
03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
In Shaq's book Shaq compltely trashed DRob. Said he couldn't believe that soft ass bitch won a title before him.

He also lied about Drob dissing him for an autograph in highschool....Said when Drob came to the Spurs he was in highschool in SA and DRob refused to give him an autograph.

So they asked Drob was he thought about the comments in Shaq's book and DRob said, "Shaq wrote a book? Must have been a coloring book". :lol

Drob and Shaq, they had some issues...the biggest one being that Drob whipped dogshit out of Shaq his first 4 years in the NBA.

He also recalled going to the Alamodome and watching the games, and the thing wasn't even built yet

E20
03-29-2008, 02:00 PM
David Robinson is fucking bad ass.

JackArse
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Need two more options: Both and Jerry Buss.
you forgot the other option, which is the one i vote for:

phil jackson.

and jerry buss

mojorizen7
03-29-2008, 04:11 PM

D.Robinson was definately a class act and a talent but sorry....he was soft.
Shaq talks too much & when he's not being funny he's usually saying the wrong thing about someone else. Barkley did both at the same time.

dallaskd
03-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Who cares? kobe is still a little bitch

O-Factor
03-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Shaq was a dick, Kobe was a bitch.

daslicer
03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Both suck but in different ways.

Kobe is an arrogant perfectionist that expects all of his teamates to have the same work ethic he has when that isn't realistic and thats why you have those episode where he calls out teamates ala Bynum.

Shaq on the other hand is narcicist who expects everybody to worship the ground he walks on. If you are not kissing his ass you will get blasted by him through the media or he will try to get you traded. If you look at all the people he has insulted it was all because they didn't praise him or worship. I was once talking to my brother how Duncan is a great teamate that he doesn't get jealous whenever Parker or Ginobili has great games that overshadow his contribution. With Shaq if his teamate plays great he wants them to give him credit for their performance.

All in all both are dicks.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Shaq probably isn't a good guy off the court either. He's a backstabber no matter where he's at or what he's doing. He's burned bridges and pissed people off everywhere he's been, and he's taken many cheap shots at people (Chris Quinn?? WTF?) that you would think hadn't done jack shit to him.

I don't know what's wrong with Shaq in the last few weeks, I thought he mellowed out by the time he got traded to Miami, but he seems to have regressed--or he never really grew up in the first place. Maybe he has more baggage since his divorce and facing the reality that he's been relegated to roleplayer, therefore he is less inhibited.
But his shit against Miami seemed stupid even for Shaq's :blah .

Anyway, I agree with the other comments, they both have ego problems, and both are annoying in different ways. Kobe knows how to save face better than Shaq -mediawise because he keeps his mouth shut, but he still manages to be pretty transparent.

Lakafan23
03-29-2008, 11:59 PM
what shaq did was wrong. hes a little bitch

The Franchise
03-30-2008, 10:04 AM
It's hard to Judge one piece of shit to be better than the another.

Quasar
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
... Shaq had just released his first book, and the writers all asked David how he felt about being in the book. David responded something like "Shaq has a book? Does it have lots of pictures in it?" :rollin

Hahaha!! Love that :lmao

Gino
03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Shaq seems like a really good guy if you're on his good side, but he'll turn on you quick. Almost pretentious in his personality. Kobe seems like an introvert off the court and would rather be private, but he doesn't appear to put on a front. He's pretty much a dick and he knows it and won't try to pretend he's not.

Both are dicks. But, Shaq tries to pretend he's not. Kobe knows he is and doesn't really hide it.

Sorry Jamstone, I have to completely disagree with you there.

Yeah, Kobe is a smug, arrogant asshole, but he's also the biggest PHONY in the entire league.

He's so disingenuous its hard to take ANYTHING he says at face value.

Take his recent quote of Andrew Bynum:

"He became the type of player I DREAMED about playing with."

:rolleyes

Give me a break Kobe. Do you think anyone believes you have basketball dreams about anyone but yourself?

Or when he surpassed Elgin Baylor on the Lakers' all-time scoring list:

"I never in my wildest dreams dreamed of being in such great company like Elgin"

Like a guy who spends his entire career attempting to plagarize Michael Jordan (right down to how he chews his gum, his run, his fist pumps, his spech patterns, his jump shot and several other mannerisms) NEVER even dreamed about being in the company of Elgin Baylor.

Elgin Who?

The reason people chant "Kobe Sucks" where ever he goes and why it never happened to Jordan is because America HATES phonies. Kobe is, and always will be, a Jordan POSER.

easjer
03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I used to think it was Kobe, because he sucks at life. I really dislike him, but it's hard to ignore the multitude of ways in which Shaq is giant dick.

He's very immediate - the team he's on now always has the best players and the best chances and the best of everything, including himself. To validate that perspective, he has to trash what he just left, otherwise there is not justification for him leaving.

But he's a bitch, however you look at it.

MrChug
03-30-2008, 07:43 PM

FTW :elephant

baseline bum
03-30-2008, 08:03 PM

Yeah, Shaq's an ass. He went behind his bodyguard's back and took his woman (the same one he just had the nasty divorce with). Ask Kori how much of a prick this guy is.

whottt
03-31-2008, 03:16 AM
D.Robinson was definately a class act and a talent but sorry....he was soft.

You lose the right to seriously call anyone else soft when your team is the Suns.

Shaq talks too much & when he's not being funny he's usually saying the wrong thing about someone else. Barkley did both at the same time.

Well to be fair...Drob did kick his ass pretty severely, made him look bad, flat out fucking took him to school. I don't really blame Shaq for not liking it...

"Shaq wrote a book? Must have been a coloring book."

Soft indeed

Like a Cobra is soft

:smokin

whottt
03-31-2008, 03:25 AM
D.Robinson was definately a class act and a talent but sorry...

Can the marshmallow truly be trusted to define what is soft? I think not.

Lesson #1

Navy Cadette Training > LSU Training

6 Years in Navy >>>> 3 Years in college then the NBA and Kazzam movies.

Playing through Olympics with a hernia >>>>> Getting surgery on "company time"

Going through Shaq on last legs to end a dynasty > near prime Shaq Getting whupped by a guy often with no feeling in his legs due to back injuries, and hernias, and torn meniscusesesesesessses.

Soft cannot objectively judge what is soft, for it is soft personified. Remember that little little tidbit of info and this won't happen to you again.

m33p0
03-31-2008, 05:13 AM
voted kobe just to close the gap a little.

LakeShow
04-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I chose Shaq. Sure Kobe was full of himself. His ego was second to none. He hogged the ball and was not a very good team player. That's what happens when you put millions of dollars in the pockets of an eighteen year old and hail him as the second coming of Jordan. Look at Lebron, he's no different. He calls himself "KingJames", now that's a big head.

As far as the statement to police, I really believe Kobe had no idea what he was doing. When he made that statement, his only concern was endorsements. Kobe had no idea what he was being charged with or the penalty.

I like Shaq but it is no question that HIS ego was the problem with Kobe. Kobe worked hard to be a good player, Shaq was just going thru the motions. When Shaq did the unthinkable, he needed surgery that would require weeks rest and he had all summer to do it. What did he do and say, He waited until preseason to have the surgery and stated, I got hurt on company time, I'll get treatment on company time. How selfish can you be?

Ronaldo McDonald
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Easy question IMO.

Problems that Kobe has had with anyone other SHAQ = 0 (that i know of).

Problems Shaq has had with anyone other than KOBE = too may to count.

It is no coincidence that everwhere Shaq goes has has problems with people, whether it be with teammates, coaches, or management.

stretch
04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Easy question IMO.

It is no coincidence that everwhere Shaq goes has has problems with people, whether it be with teammates, coaches, or management.
Agreed completely. Shaq is a dickhead.

TheMACHINE
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Easy question IMO.

well said

Gino
04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Easy question IMO.

What about Karl Malone? Andrew Bynum?

Or Kate Faber? :lol

DazedAndConfused
04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Agreed completely. Shaq is a dickhead.

Yup and if we needed further confirmation, there was a story put out recently that Shaq was actually the reason Stan Van Gundy got fired. Apparently he used to call him Ron Jeremy in practice and on the bench. I gotta admit that's pretty funny, but man what an asshole.

LakerMagic
04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Yup and if we needed further confirmation, there was a story put out recently that Shaq was actually the reason Stan Van Gundy got fired. Apparently he used to call him Ron Jeremy in practice and on the bench. I gotta admit that's pretty funny, but man what an asshole.

Shaq is a dick. He even called out Steve Nash a couple of years ago when he won his MVPs. Shaq was a big baby when we decided we didn't want to invest 20mil+ per year on his aging ass.

DazedAndConfused
04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Thank God we got rid of that fat piece of shit. Yes the Lakers suffered for 4 years, but they are in a much better situation now than they would have been had they kept Shaq.