PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Clippers Mar. 26

timvp
03-27-2008, 06:43 AM
The Spurs were headed toward a disastrous loss against the Los Angeles Clippers when suddenly their defense kicked in. With six minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Corey Maggette hit a three-pointer to put the Clippers up by seven points. That was the last field goal L.A. would make as the Spurs eked out a 97-88 victory.

Even though the Clippers’ season is over, that team gave a good effort. Maggette is extremely talented at getting to the free throw line. Rookie Al Thornton is already proving to be a Spur Killer. Much like Ron Artest, Bonzi Wells and other strong and thick swingmen, Thornton is a matchup nightmare for the Spurs. He’s too strong for the wings and too fast for the bigs. Thornton has scored 63 points against the Spurs this season in three games. Normally, he averages about 11 points per game.

For San Antonio, there isn’t much to be excited about other than just getting the W. The team played pretty poorly for the first 42 minutes of the game. Obviously tired and without much emotion, the Spurs almost dug themselves an inescapable hole. Thankfully, the late run saved the day.

Overall, it was a forgettable win. That said, I’m happy with the five-game winning streak and I'm happy that the Spurs are now tied for second place in the Western Conference.

-Tim Duncan had another productive night. He finished with 26 points, 12 rebounds, four assists and two blocked shots, while shooting 8-for-10 from the field and 10-for-13 from the free throw line. It’d be nice to see him get even more touches but he did about as well as possible with the touches he got. He was decent enough defensively and seemed to be one of the few Spurs focused throughout the contest. Recently, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at his low post repertoire. He’s using a left-handed hook that he had all but abandoned for much of the season. Duncan is also using his baseline spin to his advantage more and more. Perhaps he’s dusting off his wares for the playoffs.

-For the first 45 minutes of the game, Ginobili had only four points on 2-for-8 shooting from the floor. The last three minutes, he had nine points on 3-for-3 shooting. Better late than never. He wasn’t playing particularly poorly the first 45 minutes. His defense was solid throughout. Offensively, he just looked tired. Luckily he got a second wind right when the Spurs needed it. Ginobili has really turned into a fourth quarter assassin for the team this year. In clutch situations (defined as less than five minutes to go with neither team ahead by more than five points), Ginobili is averaging 42.2 points per 48 minutes and is shooting 54.9% from the field and 93% from the line. Other than his 13 points against the Clippers, he also had three assists, three steals, two rebounds and two blocks.

-Tony Parker had a decent showing overall. He was far from his best but he did have a big part in the comeback. With the offense stagnant, Parker began pushing the pace and that finally allowed the Spurs to get some good looks. On the night, Parker had 15 points, four rebounds, four assists and one turnover, while shooting 6-for-13 from the field. Over the last four games, Parker has only three turnovers in 138 minutes. After struggling with turnovers earlier in the month, he’s had one or fewer turnovers in seven of his last nine games.

-Bruce Bowen had a sub par game for the most part. While his defense on Maggette was good, he committed a couple of bad fouls. Maggette was living at the free throw line and Bowen’s five fouls were helping him pay rent. Offensively, Bowen hit 3-of-9 shots to finish with seven points.

-For the second straight game, Michael Finley looked like a professional basketball player. He was confident offensively and was hitting the boards nicely. Finley finished with 16 points and six rebounds, while hitting 6-of-11 field goal attempts. If he can have more good games than bad games, the Spurs will be happy with that sort of production. From the outside looking in, Finley’s demeanor on the court is greatly improved. He now seems to actually be looking to score rather than hesitating and second guessing himself constantly.

-Fabricio Oberto played really well in his 17 minutes of action. The Argentine bigman had six points, four rebounds and one assist, while shooting 3-for-3 from the field. Defensively he had to step out onto the perimeter more than usual and did a good job. Pop probably should have given Oberto a few more minutes on this night.

-Ime Udoka had an off-night in his 24 minutes on the court. He was 3-for-10 from the floor and while that percentage isn’t great, I have more of a problem with the number of attempts. Udoka isn’t talented enough offensively to warrant that many shots. Udoka needs to realize that having as many field goal attempts as Duncan is a sign he should pass more and shoot less. Defensively, Udoka wasn’t particularly effective against Maggette or Thornton. I did like Udoka’s seven rebounds, though.

-Jacque Vaughn once again chipped in with solid play. In 14 minutes, Vaughn had five points and one assist. His numbers will never blow you away but he’s playing really well right now. He’s pressuring the ball constantly defensively and is making all the right plays offensively. Can’t ask for more.

-Kurt Thomas only played 11 minutes and had three points and one block. Thomas isn’t playing poorly but what he offers hasn’t been needed much as of late. Against perimeter oriented teams, it appears as if Pop has abandoned the idea of playing Duncan and Thomas together. However, if Thomas stays healthy, there will be a point in the playoffs where he’ll become a vital cog in the engine.

-Matt Bonner got some first half minutes as Pop was obviously hoping for an easy game against the Clippers. That didn’t materialize and Bonner was left out of the rotation in the second half. In the seven minutes he was out there, he had two points and two turnovers.

-Damon Stoudamire, Robert Horry and Brent Barry didn’t play. Stoudamire didn’t play because he’s not that good. Horry and Barry are still recovering from injuries. I guess 150 years of veteran experience on the bench can’t hurt.

-Pop coached a decent enough game. He might have pulled the Bonner card a bit too early but other than that I can’t fault his rotation much. The Spurs were obviously tired and Pop had to basically just wait for a run to occur.

I like how Pop is really trying to cut down the whining on the court from the Spurs. While that can sometimes be a difficult chore with this core, Pop has steadfastly discouraged whining to the refs. When the Spurs just play and don't question every call, that's when they are at their best.

The bottomline is the Spurs now have a five game winning streak. It’s best to just forget the details of this win and appreciate the ascent up the standings. With the Minnesota Timberwolves coming to town on Tuesday, that’s another win the Spurs have to secure. Victory is a must.

Believe.

Tigole Bitties
03-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Damon Stoudamire, Robert Horry and Brent Barry didn’t play. Stoudamire didn’t play because he’s not that good. Horry and Barry are still recovering from injuries. I guess 150 years of veteran experience on the bench can’t hurt.

hah. "yo mamma's so old..."

With the Minnesota Timberwolves coming to town on Tuesday, that’s another win the Spurs have to secure. Victory is a must.

Don't you mean Friday? They play the Warriors on Tuesday.

Slippy
03-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the player analysis and thoughts. Won't bother with any other recaps now.

smeagol
03-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Great to have this read when I can't see the games (which is 70% of the time thanks to fucking piece of shit Argie TV)

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-27-2008, 07:45 AM
:tu
I'm impressed with Duncan starting to take off. I think it's a combination of Playoff Tim coming out of hibernation, and the emphasis on cutting out the whining. Duncan's not looking for calls, he's looking to score, and I think that's translated best onto the defensive end of the floor. If Tim gets hacked he doesn't spend the next 15 seconds glaring at the ref as he heads up the floor, but just gets his shit together and anchors the D like he's supposed to.

And I think Ime and Finley got involved in some sort of Freaky Friday personality swap a few days ago. Findog is picking his shots intelligently and knocking them down, and Ime is jacking up bad shots more and more.

Overall, I'm pleased with the sense of urgency the Spurs managed to find in the fourth. There were times this season when they would have just rolled over when the going got tough in the second half of a B2B. I don't know if they are playing Spurs playoff basketball yet, but they are definitely getting that mentality.

bobbybob0
03-27-2008, 07:45 AM
-For the second straight game, Michael Finley looked like a professional basketball player.

Geee, I love those recaps :lol :lol

GrandeDavid
03-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Great to have this read when I can't see the games (which is 70% of the time thanks to fucking piece of shit Argie TV)

:lol

I'd have thought you guys would get more Spurs games than we do in Brazil via a local network or something. Its freaking Manu time! They'd better show every Spurs playoff game in Argentina or else I'll ask you to take this to the President, directly. Tell President Kirchner that although she is a gorgeous hottie, that does not excuse her from her duty as President to mandate that all Spurs playoff games get national live airtime.

;)

polandprzem
03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
I like how Pop is really trying to cut down the whining on the court from the Spurs. While that can sometimes be a difficult chore with this core, Pop has steadfastly discouraged whining to the refs. When the Spurs just play and don't question every call, that's when they are at their best.
Pop cutting the whining from the players but he is the first one to tell them what he thinks when Tim gets some hits.
In his opinion it should be that way. The coach is for to complain to the zebras.

I got a 2Q for those who watched the game:
How was Tonys play looked like
And how was Mikes boards looked like?

btw.thx lj

Mr. Body
03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
If we barely were going to use him, why waste a first round draft pick on Kurt Thomas?

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Kurt Thomas is there in case we face LA or Phoenix in the playoffs.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:30 AM
If we barely were going to use him, why waste a first round draft pick on Kurt Thomas?

Or if we face Utah or New Orleans. Those teams have size and use it well.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
The game wasn't that bad. It wasn't the best showing, but the Spurs were in control throughout most of the game. Sure they let the Clippers back in the game and were even trailing in the fourth, but the Spurs knew they would come out with the win.

Ime hasn't been playing that good. Finley has looked good the past two games. I hope this continues. I'm sure we all do.

Herschel Walker
03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
The Spurs are pretty much at a point where they are resting on offense by not moving as much and going more 1 on 1 then turning it up at the end of games. I guess they feel that is best for them right now, Pop doesn't seem too pissed about it.

Quasar
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
T...I'm happy that the Spurs are now tied for second place in the Western Conference.

Although the Spurs have the same record as Houston, they're not tied because Houston is 2-1 against the Spurs this season (Scola! .
:pctoss ). This means that the next game against Houston is a must win, just in case Houston continues playing well!

Lots of interesting info on tie-breakers here:
http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html#tbb

Southwest Texas Fan
03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I hope Ime is okay. After the injury he started to play well and now it seems he has regressed a little.

duncan228
03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
-Tim Duncan had another productive night. He finished with 26 points, 12 rebounds, four assists and two blocked shots, while shooting 8-for-10 from the field and 10-for-13 from the free throw line. It’d be nice to see him get even more touches but he did about as well as possible with the touches he got. He was decent enough defensively and seemed to be one of the few Spurs focused throughout the contest. Recently, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at his low post repertoire. He’s using a left-handed hook that he had all but abandoned for much of the season. Duncan is also using his baseline spin to his advantage more and more. Perhaps he’s dusting off his wares for the playoffs.

Duncan looks great. The past few games I've watched him zero in on his game. He's focused, he's driven, he wants this repeat. It's great to see him bring the left hook back. For those that said he's gotten too predictable and defenses can break him down too easily, watch out. He's gearing up for the Playoffs. He will be in Duncan Beast Playoff mode by the time they start. No one will be able to stop him.

I can't wait. This is shaping up to be the toughest road to a Championship Duncan has faced. He will rise to the challenge, he always does. And it's going to be wonderful to watch.

dbreiden83080
03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Timmy does look like he's locking in here. It is just about playoff time which means it is time for him to get his A game into full gear. On a back to back his low post game really wowed me last night. I thought he would not give them much do to lack of energy last night. He is bringing it and the rest of the west may be in trouble.

Cry Havoc
03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Ime grabbed 7 boards and is being criticized? He was open on a lot of looks last night. I say, stay aggressive and SHOOT!

Also, we let the shotclock run way down several times last night. The person who got a look had to take the shot, and several times that was Ime.

Bowen hit a couple of mid-range jumpers and looked very comfortable doing so. That's a huge plus for me.

Honestly, last night was frustrating because the Clippers were content to shoot 19 footers all night, and they continued to make them at a relatively high clip. I don't think we played bad defense, I think we gave them some low opportunity looks and they converted fairly frequently. I mean, I'll give the clips an open 16 foot fadeaway leaner on the baseline ANY day.

I think we'll see a completely different Spurs team in the playoffs. We're coasting right now. I think Pop has told Parker to back way off, because he's just letting the offense run itself rather than destroying an opponent and getting hammered.

Obstructed_View
03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Looked like a letdown there for a bit. While it would have been nice to keep the first quarter lead, the ability to come up with a run and close the game out should be a confidence builder.

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 12:01 PM
This ain't the NCAA...no style points here...a win is a win...

nkdlunch
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
their defense kicked in?

they had nonexistent offense! more like Manu made some shots and Clippers luckily missed some shots and then took bad shots at the end.

SPurs dodge a bullet and it's not because of their defense.

phxspurfan
03-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I think we can add the Clippers to the list of underrated teams with solid cores that have sustained big injuries (Charlotte with Morrison, Portland with Oden). I'd say that they would have a shot at the ployoffs next year if all their best players come back:

PG Livingston
SG Maggette
SF Thornton
PF Brand
C Kaman

Bench

Brevin Knight
Cat Mobley
Quinton Ross
Tim Thomas
Paul Davis

On paper, that squad looks pretty decent.