PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi, what next?

yavozerb
03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
39 39 29.7 .608 .000 .770 2.5 5.5 8.1 1.2 1.5 1.6 2.72 4.00 16.8

Stat so far this year with austin toros. Some questions that need to be answered...

Has Ian over or underachieved in his first full year (not counting over seas since he got no PT) of professional basketball?

What do you guys think Ian needs to improve on to be an everyday NBA player?

Do you think Ian can contribute to the spurs next year or is another year of developmental league needed?

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
He needs to improve on everything. The guy really hasn't learned how to put all that athleticism to good work on a consistent basis. He can jump and block shots, but he would be a more dangerous shot-blocker if he learned how to position himself better. Another words, he depends too much on this athleticism to play the game. Once he learns the game better and puts that together with his athleticism, then he will be a very good NBA player.

ducks
03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
do a search for him
he is getting better

ducks
03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83836&highlight=Mahinmi

to21
03-27-2008, 09:47 AM
do a search for him
he is getting betterYeah this kid would be on a regular rotation on any other team (sub-par).

We have to exercise patience with Pop's system. The question is, will he.

wildchild
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
He needs to improve on everything. The guy really hasn't learned how to put all that athleticism to good work on a consistent basis. He can jump and block shots, but he would be a more dangerous shot-blocker if he learned how to position himself better. Another words, he depends too much on this athleticism to play the game. Once he learns the game better and puts that together with his athleticism, then he will be a very good NBA player.

Agree, but I think Ian is more than his athleticism. He's too young right now. I have great expectations about him and I hope he'll exceed my expectations.:tu

tav1
03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Ian's defense, especially in terms of positioning and IQ, are still rather low. He can't help but to commit two or three dumb fouls per game. His rebounding could be better, as well. This, again, has much to do with positioning. The general consensus (I've only watched him online a few times) is that he could be a solid rotation guy but that he's still a bit away. I would not be surprised to see him spend next year in Austin too.

Tiago Splitter, despite not knowing the system, is much closer to game ready. And then there is Kurt Thomas and Oberto. It's a stretch to see Mahinmi in the rotation next year, at least not to start the year. But you never know, he's made a lot of progress from two summers ago.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:54 AM
The good thing is that he is young and still has time to let it all gel.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Like tav1 said, he just hasn't learned how to position himself on defense all too well. However, like Ducks said, he's getting better and that's a good sign.