PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's jersey . . .

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
is tenth among the most sold by the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/03/26/best.selling.jerseys.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Michael Jordan is still on top as the NBA's leading salesman five years after he retired.

Jordan has the best-selling jersey in the history of the NBA Store, the league announced Wednesday in kicking off plans for its anniversary celebration. Kobe Bryant was second, followed by Allen Iverson. Like Jordan, they also changed uniform numbers or teams, creating more interest in their jerseys.

LeBron James was fourth and Shaquille O'Neal rounded out the top five. The remainder of the list included: Tracy McGrady, Dwyane Wade, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Tim Duncan.

The top-10 list was the first of activities planned over the next six months, leading up to the store's 10th anniversary.

The NBA Store opened Sept. 18, 1998, in New York, becoming the first retail establishment owned, operated and merchandised by a North American professional sports league. The store receives visitors from about 200 countries each year.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
How the hell could Jason Kidd's and Vince Carter's jersey be above Duncan's?

Fucking retarded.

Galileo
03-27-2008, 10:25 AM
marketing BS.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Surprising considering the Spurs are labeled boring and in a small market. I would have thought some other players would be ahead of him. KG not on that list is surprising.

Texas_Ranger
03-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Yea, saw this yesterday. I'm not big surprised about Carter jersey being above Duncan, but Kidd!? I got pretty surpised about that one.

Los Spurs
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
They always leave the best for last...

Brutalis
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
If TD had played for a large market he would have been number one. I bet he's so disappointed. HahahahahahahahahahahHHAHAHHAHHAnotHHAHAHAH

SenorSpur
03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
That whole business with players changing jersey numbers is a pure bullshit, marketing idea.

duncan228
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
It's the only jersey I own. :)

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 10:39 AM

But, do you wear anything underneath it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

MajorMike
03-27-2008, 10:41 AM
How the hell could Jason Kidd's and Vince Carter's jersey be above Duncan's?

Fucking retarded.

Read. One store; store located in NYC. About 12 miles thru the Lincoln Tunnel to East Rutherford. That's where the Nets play, FYI. If the store was in Houston I would expect Yao and Manu to be on the list. If it was in Phx I would expect Amare and Nash to be on the list. If it was in LA I would expect Paula Abdul to be on the list.

CubanMustGo
03-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Yea, saw this yesterday. I'm not big surprised about Carter jersey being above Duncan, but Kidd!? I got pretty surpised about that one.

Kidd played in the NYC metro so there were plenty of Jersey idiots to buy Kidd's jersey. And lord knows how many Dallas bandwagoners bought one when the prodigal son returned.

O-Factor
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I was suprised Duncan was 10 :lol

But actually, when I was in New York at the NBA store on 5th Avenue, they had just as much Spurs merchandise(jerseys , memorabilia, gear, bobbelheads, etc) as other top teams in the league.

What there was was a complete lack of Suns merchandise. But I thought everyone loved them?

Kobayagi
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Surprised Marbury's not on the list.

dbreiden83080
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
10 is good, it really is. People keep saying he is not popular yet his jersey sales are good and he is voted into the all star game every year, so he has some fans outside of SA obviously.

TDfan2007
03-27-2008, 12:00 PM
10 is good, it really is. People keep saying he is not popular yet his jersey sales are good and he is voted into the all star game every year, so he has some fans outside of SA obviously.

Yeah, Tim has a lot of fans...I guess they're just not as vocal as Kobe's/Iverson's...

Agloco
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Surprising considering the Spurs are labeled boring and in a small market. I would have thought some other players would be ahead of him. KG not on that list is surprising.

Minnesota......

NASpurs
03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
It's the only jersey I own. :)You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Minnesota......

Yea, but I think the entertainment factor can compensate for that. Garnett is a more exciting player to watch than Duncan for the causal NBA fan.

Make that list 3 years from now and I bet KG is higher on the list than Duncan.

Sigz
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I also only have a Duncan.

Looks nicely up on the wall.

hater
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I am shocked it sells so much

BlackSwordsMan
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Ginobili!!!

Kori Ellis
03-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Duncan is usually around 9th/10th on these lists.

He was 9th back in 2005 ...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30904

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Make that list 3 years from now and I bet KG is higher on the list than Duncan.

Why, is KG going to win three Finals in a row?

If he's not on the list now, he won't be there in three years.

urunobili
03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
would you accept it if we send you a Manu one? :)

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Why, is KG going to win three Finals in a row?

If he's not on the list now, he won't be there in three years.

Look, I'm not hating on Duncan, he's one of my favorite players, but the fact of the matter is that he's much more exciting than Duncan to most people and he wasn't able to show that to that big of an audience in Minny. His jersey sells and everyone else's on that team will go up.

duncan228
03-27-2008, 01:49 PM
would you accept it if we send you a Manu one? :)

Yes. I like Manu too. :)

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Look, I'm not hating on Duncan, he's one of my favorite players, but the fact of the matter is that he's much more exciting than Duncan to most people and he wasn't able to show that to that big of an audience in Minny. His jersey sells and everyone else's on that team will go up.

Nevermind the fact that he's the founder of And1.

Look, with the exception of McGrady, everyone on the Top Ten list has at least been to the Finals and half of them have won it.

That's why Garnett hasn't sold as much as Duncan.

Supreme_Being
03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I thought he was more of like 15th or something.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Nevermind the fact that he's the founder of And1.

Look, with the exception of McGrady, everyone on the Top Ten list has at least been to the Finals and half of them have won it.

That's why Garnett hasn't sold as much as Duncan.

What about Vince Carter?

Winning, entertainment value, and publicity play into it, man. If you want to think that the sole reason is making it to the finals and/or winning championships do it, but I think you're wrong.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 02:39 PM
A big market can affect jersey sells a hell of a lot, as shown by Vince and Tmac being on there.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
What about Vince Carter?

Winning, entertainment value, and publicity play into it, man. If you want to think that the sole reason is making it to the finals and/or winning championships do it, but I think you're wrong.

Damn, forgot about Carter.

Well, I've got no explanation for Carter.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
A big market can affect jersey sells a hell of a lot, as shown by Vince and Tmac being on there.

That makes sense, but I also think post-season success is a major reason for jerseys selling.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
That makes sense, but I also think post-season success is a major reason for jerseys selling.

Post season = more publicity. They both go hand-in-hand.

Kori Ellis
03-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I guess I should mention, the list mentioned in the original post only reflects jersey sold from the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in NYC.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I guess I should mention, the list mentioned in the original post only reflects jersey sold from the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in NYC.

Good point, I wonder what the world-wide sales look like.

And, for Duncan to be in the top ten in NYC . . . that's impressive.