PDA

View Full Version : Shaq is a Big Baby

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't believe some of his comments. Sure its true, Ricky Davis is not your ideal teammate, but you have to respect others. Plus him blaming or calling out the training staff in Miami is just uncalled for. He never likes to take responsibility. It was he who was never in shape.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3314347

NEW YORK -- Pat Riley can't understand why Shaquille O'Neal keeps talking about the Miami Heat.

Riley responded to O'Neal's criticisms Wednesday with some of his own, saying his former center was wrong to disparage some of his old teammates and trainers in a Boston Globe story.

"It's sad that he says those things. We shared so much here, together, for three years, good and bad, 3½ years," Riley said, referring specifically to the Heat's 2006 NBA title. "I just think it's sad that he's got to do that."

Riley dealt O'Neal to Phoenix before the trade deadline, allowing the 36-year-old center the chance to compete for another title instead of sticking around Miami for a last-place finish. O'Neal made it clear how much he prefers his new teammates.

"I love playing for this coach and I love playing with these guys," O'Neal told the Globe. "We have professionals who know what to do. No one is asking me to play with Chris Quinn or Ricky Davis. I'm actually on a team again."

After Phoenix's loss to Boston, O'Neal elaborated, saying that defenses would sag off of Quinn and Davis and he wasn't able to get the ball. Of Riley's comments, O'Neal said colorfully, "I don't [care] how he interpreted it."

Reminded that reporters couldn't use the quote because of the expletive, he said, "Sure you can. You can quote me, brother. You can put an 's,' then the tic-tac-toe, the 'at' sign and then the other symbols."

O'Neal was critical about shots -- as in, not getting enough of them -- often during his tenure with the Heat. This year, he expressed those sentiments in the days that followed a 110-101 loss at Utah on Dec. 3 -- a game where Quinn didn't play and O'Neal and Davis were on court together for 16 minutes, 2 seconds.

He also complained about not getting enough touches two days after going 8-for-15 in a 120-99 loss against Orlando, another game where he and Quinn never were on the court at the same time. Plus, O'Neal got into an argument with Riley during an early season practice, and words got so heated that Alonzo Mourning intervened to keep the two separated.

Keep in mind, O'Neal is the one who repeatedly referred to his Miami coach as "the great Pat Riley" during his time in South Florida. But he also was clearly miffed when Riley pulled him in the first minute of a game at New Jersey earlier this season for blowing a defensive assignment.

Riley said he doesn't have "anything but good feelings for Shaq" and wasn't bothered by any criticism leveled at him. But he said O'Neal has no reason to blame anyone else in the organization for his unhappiness.

"When you're 9-40, we're all frustrated. I mean everybody's at fault, we all were. Everybody was feeling bad and nobody wants that," Riley said.

"He didn't want to be there, he didn't want to play for that kind of situation, 35 years old. He wanted to go to a contender and we sent him there. We sent him to Utopia and we're left here with the carnage and I don't know why he's not happy."

Riley also defended the work of veteran trainer Ron Culp and the team's medical staff, saying O'Neal was out of line to speak poorly of them.

"It's really a shame that he would insult those people like that because they gave him care. They cared," Riley said. "They didn't kiss his butt. They cared about him.

"He can do whatever he wants to do to me. That's OK, I don't care. But those men, they tried. ... That upsets me more than anything."

spursfan09
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
It seems since Shaq found himself a decent team to play for again, he feels like he's a bad ass and has the courage to run his mouth.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
This is why there is a huge difference between guys like David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Shaq. I honestly don't think Duncan nor Robinson would publicly talk bad about an ex-teammate.

AZLouis
03-27-2008, 12:57 PM
All true.

:07 Or Less = How long it takes Shaq throw his former mates under the bus.

Can't wait until after next year to hear the backlash against Amare and Co.

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
All true.

:07 Or Less = How long it takes Shaq throw his former mates under the bus.

Can't wait until after next year to hear the backlash against Amare and Co.

Exactly. He'll blame is on Nash for passing too much. Or he'll blame Grant Hill for being too old.

ElNono
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
While I don't condone what he said, there really needs to be some accountability with Riley at some point. Going from a championship team to a complete bust in 2 years is notable to say the least.

romad_20
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I can't wait till his fat ass gets his in the playoffs. Someone going to remind him how fucking old he is when they put the smack down on PHX.

JamStone
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Shaq is just taking shots at the old teammates and coaches he's supposed to take shots at... no surprises here.

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
This is why there is a huge difference between guys like David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Shaq. I honestly don't think Duncan nor Robinson would publicly talk bad about an ex-teammate.

Nope...they wouldn't be Spurs very long if they did!

JamStone
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess respecting former teammates and coaches isn't part of the "Big Man Code."

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I always thought Shaq should have given himself the nickname of the "Big Ego", instead of the "Big Aristotle". It's fitting.

Cry Havoc
03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I hate Shaq and every team he plays for. Which is why I'm thrilled he's on the Suns, because I never liked Amare anyway. I hope we meet them in the playoffs and sweep them right off the fucking planet.

I guess respecting former teammates and coaches isn't part of the "Big Man Code."

Neither is having a shot that can go down from beyond 4 feet with regularity.

Xylus
03-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I understand that Shaq is trying to appeal to his new team and new fans by bashing his past (and let's face it--Ricky Davis is terrible), but I thought these comments were made in poor taste. The Miami Heat are a terrible team, and Shaq didn't do much to change that.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Shaq's next contract will be 2 year contract worth 30,000,000 doughnuts.

Xylus
03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Shaq's next contract will be 2 year contract worth 30,000,000 doughnuts.
Congratulations, you're the 1,655,387th person to make a Shaq fat joke in the last week. Get some new material people.

JamStone
03-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Shaq should have a reality show that teaches skinny kids how to gain weight.

Cry Havoc
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Congratulations, you're the 1,655,387th person to make a Shaq fat joke in the last week. Get some new material people.

Hey Xylus, you can't park your van on the diving board. Oh wait, that's not your van! That's Shaq!

Hey, hey Earl! It's just a fat guy!

monosylab1k
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
if Shaq is taking shots at Pat Riley, i approve. Riley is the biggest douchebag in pro sports history.

Spuradicator
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Shaq will bash the Suns when they refuse to extend his contract

Cry Havoc
03-27-2008, 02:29 PM
if Shaq is taking shots at Pat Riley, i approve. Riley is the biggest douchebag in pro sports history.

Riley? Fine. Teammates? That's bush league.

coldsweat
03-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Shaq will bash the Suns when they refuse to extend his contract

seriously. the money is a big factor with shaq. an si article reported that he spends $875,000 per month! he loves a big lifestyle and wants the big money.

JamStone
03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Riley? Fine. Teammates? That's bush league.

In Shaq's defense, he was talking about Chris Quinn and Ricky Davis.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 02:53 PM

That sounds more like shaq's daily calorie intake.

Cry Havoc
03-27-2008, 02:53 PM
In Shaq's defense, he was talking about Chris Quinn and Ricky Davis.

Eh. He called out the entire team, really. "I'm on a real team now."

It's humorous that for all Sheed is lambasted by the media for being a hot-head, he hasn't said anything negative about his teammates in a long time, while Shaq, the glory-whore of the press always says stuff like this, and somehow gets away with it with no blow to his image. If anyone else said something like this, they would be cast out as a poor teammate. But with Shaq, it's okay for whatever reason.

monosylab1k
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
That sounds more like shaq's daily calorie intake.
lulz

mavsfan1000
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess Shaq is the Big Cactus. In that sense he is a total prick. lol

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I guess Shaq is the Big Cactus. In that sense he is a total prick. lol

:lol

Good one

Ronaldo McDonald
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Eh. He called out the entire team, really. "I'm on a real team now."

It's humorous that for all Sheed is lambasted by the media for being a hot-head, he hasn't said anything negative about his teammates in a long time, while Shaq, the glory-whore of the press always says stuff like this, and somehow gets away with it with no blow to his image. If anyone else said something like this, they would be cast out as a poor teammate. But with Shaq, it's okay for whatever reason.

People refuse to hate a fat guy. They (90 % of America) will never hate one of their own.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Shaq was just making comments he is supposed to make...

MoSpur
03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Shaq was just making comments he is supposed to make...

I don't get it.

ancestron
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Hard to believe someone that big, not to mention famous, is so immature and doesn't seem to grasp the value of respecting others.
Hearing this makes me lose a lot of respect for him. That coupled with him ignoring Tim Duncan's hand to help him up. I mean, I can understand wanting to keep it competitive and let your teammates help you up, but Shaq missed a perfect opportunity to maybe push Tim's hand away and crack a smile at him or something like that, instead of acting like a socially-handicapped teenage punk and ignoring him completely. I mean they are 2 vets in the heat of battle, Tim's gesture was simply that, a gesture. the shit doesnt have to be personal. I thought he was better than all this, I guess he's not.

Medvedenko
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, pretty sad to call out former teammates even though one of them is Ricky Buckets....

Borosai
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Shaq's M.O. Nothing new.

romad_20
03-27-2008, 07:15 PM
He called out the training staff as well.

SenorSpur
03-28-2008, 01:31 AM
I see he convieniently forgot to mention how his fat ass came to training camp every year out of shape.

I see he neglected to mention his annual 25-30 games he missed every season. Including one particular occasion while he was a Faker in which he waited to have off-season surgery until the start of training camp. When asked why he waited so long to have the procedure done, his answer was, "I got hurt on company time, so I'm gonna rehab on company time.

He also neglected to bring up how his $22 mil-a-year contract was such an albatross to the team salary structure that it prohibited the Heat from getting better talent around him and Wade.

How about the imaginary fued he started with D-Rob all because he felt 5-0 was getting way too much publicity in San Antonio, while Shaq was in high school!

To those who have followed Shaq, this should come as no surprise. To have been such a great player and having created such a legacy, Shaq is and has always been an insecure, whiny-ass, bitch. He's unfailrly criticized the players left behind at each of his previous stops and has left a trail of scorched earth in his wake. Nothing is ever his fault. Nothing he ever does is wrong. However, he's never happy anywhere.

As the old folks would say, "if it smells like day-old cabbage everywhere you go, then maybe you're the one that stinks." Rest assured, he will burn his bridges in Phoenix the same way he has everywhere else he's been.

Leetonidas
03-28-2008, 01:38 AM
For the love of God I hope the Spurs play the Suns in the playoffs again just to beat down this fat ass son of a bitch and hear him whine and complain about how Steve Nash isn't getting him the ball enough, Amare Stoudemire takes away from his offensive game, and how DJ Strawberry sucks ass or Grant Hill is too old to be on the court.

Fuck Shaq. He is nothing but a piece of shit and I never, ever in my time watching the NBA have ever liked that asshole. I would seriously hate the Spurs if they ever acquired his ass for some asinine reason. Thankfully, our organization is not fucking retarded, so we won't have that problem.

KidCongo
03-28-2008, 03:52 AM
he makes headlines

that's all he cares about

mrodgers
04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree that shaq is a big baby he is always wining at the refs when he gets a foul and that is what a kid would do in YMCA Ball