PDA

View Full Version : Oden plays Pick-Up Game

rAm
03-28-2008, 10:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3316689

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers rookie Greg Oden participated in a pick-up basketball game at a fitness facility in Tualatin, Ore., on Wednesday night, the Oregonian reported.

"We heard about that, and I talked to him today," coach Nate McMillan said. "I let him know he can't do that."

Oden is in the sixth month of his rehabilitation from microfracture surgery on his right knee. He is on schedule to return in time for training camp in October. Oden has been cleared to participate in light drills at practice and the team wants to control his running and jumping.

"I know he is excited to be moving again, but as I talked to him about it he said 'Coach, I promise I wasn't running hard ...'. And I was like -- 'I really don't care',"' McMillan said. "The thing is, we were surprised. So we let him know that he doesn't need to be there. We have plenty of workout equipment and gym space at our facility."

After Oden took part in two pickup games Wednesday night one of the participants went home and posted an account on the internet. By Thursday morning, word had gotten back to the Blazers, who were in Oakland, Calif., for a game against Golden State. McMillan said he then called Oden.

"Right now, these young guys don't know their value," McMillan said. "That's part of growing up and maturing. In a couple of years he will understand how stupid that was. I understand it, because I've done it.''

coldsweat
03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90554

rAm
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Don't be mad that my thread is better than your thread.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
amare jr.

Killakobe81
03-28-2008, 12:07 PM
not smart But my boy Kobe hurt himself playing off-season pickup (venice i think) early in his career ...
Kobe, VC, Steph, even MJ i believe have made appearances at the Ruck in NYC ...
Problem with Oden he is COMING off an injury I agree it shows how much he loves the game ...but if im playing him Im going hard he would get no free passes and if he played in a TRULT competitive game the risks are high