PDA

View Full Version : Barkley says, "Odom gives them the league's best No. 3 player"

LakeShow
03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Wow, he chooses Odom over his boy, Ginobili??? Unbelievable :dizzy

Jerry Crowe:
Barkley likes Lakers' third option
He says Odom gives them the league's best No. 3 player.
March 27, 2008

TNT's Charles Barkley says that no other team in the NBA has a third-best player better than the Lakers' versatile Lamar Odom. . . .

Fans of the Boston Celtics and San Antonio Spurs probably would disagree, Odom's stellar productivity in Pau Gasol's absence notwithstanding. . . .

Ray Allen, the Celtics' third-leading scorer, is an eight-time All-Star. . . .

Manu Ginobili, not even a starter, is the Spurs' leading scorer. . . .

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-crowe27mar27,1,4906318.column

stretch
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Ginobili isn't their #3. He's their #2. I don't care whether people say he starts or not, he is their #2 option behind Duncan, and the next guy you want with the ball in his hands behind Duncan when the game is on the line.

stretch
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Talentwise though, Odom is definitely the most talented #3 option out there. He's far more talented than most #2 guys, and even some #1 guys in the league, but mentally, he would rather be a #3, and that holds him back a lot.

monosylab1k
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah Manu is the #2 guy, Parker is the #3.

And Odom is capable of being a better #3 than Parker.

PacerFan
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Dumb comment by Barkley, but a lot of what he says are things for shock value anyways. Odom is the model for inconsistency. Detroit may also have something to say about this.

JamStone
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
You could argue this season Manu has been the #1 guy.

JamStone
03-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Tony Parker, Ray Allen, Caron Butler, Rasheed Wallace, Monta Ellis...

Odom as the best third option in the league is arguable at best.

LakeShow
03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Ginobili isn't their #3. He's their #2. I don't care whether people say he starts or not, he is their #2 option behind Duncan, and the next guy you want with the ball in his hands behind Duncan when the game is on the line.

Good point, in this article they're using Ginobili as the 3rd. I didn't see the comment last night. Were they basing his comments on Gino being the 3rd option as well?

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Tony Parker, Ray Allen, Caron Butler, Rasheed Wallace, Monta Ellis...

Odom as the best third option in the league is arguable at best.

Odom is a better player than Parker, Allen, and Ellis. Caron Butler is not a #3 option in WAS, and everyone knows the Pistons have no #1/2/3 option like most teams do.

PacerFan
03-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Kind of like everyone knows about you being spursdynasty?

JamStone
03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Odom is not better than Tony Parker or Ray Allen. And, Monta Ellis is better than you think. Last year, Caron Butler was the #3 option for the Wizards. Butler came into his own this year and showed he could be a #1 type of guy. With Arenas, Butler slides down to the #3 option. Maybe after this year, he's considered the #2. If you claim that, Antawn Jamison is better than Lamar Odom.

Rasheed is the #3 option, period. #1 is Rip Hamilton. #2 is Chauncey. You can see it in field goal attempts and free throw attempts. Rasheed is #3.

1Parker1
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
:lmao Odom a better #3 option than Parker? The same Parker that won a FINALS MVP last season? When has Odom done that or even been a large factor in the playoffs for his team?

Just because Parker has been struggling this season (due to injury and fatigue) fairweather fans seem to so easily forget all he's done in his career and for the Spurs in big moments.

You can bet that Odom is going to choke in the playoffs.

monosylab1k
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Odom is not better than Tony Parker or Ray Allen.
When Odom plays to his potential, I'd say he is. But he rarely does that.

FromWayDowntown
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I don't buy Odom as better than Parker. Parker is a two-time All-Star in a conference that's been loaded at the guard spots for years. Odom is a career underachiever who's been proclaimed to have a high ceiling that he's rarely come close to. If nothing else, Parker has shown that he can take over and dominate games at playoff time when his team needs it. I'm not really sure that Odom has ever shown that ability.

JamStone
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I might concede to Ray Allen, but only because Ray Allen is having an off year and hasn't played quite as well as previous seasons. But, no way in hell is Odom better than Tony Parker and I don't even think Parker is that great.

RonMexico
03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Mentally, Odom is a #12, as shown by how many times he has bricked late game FTs (Dallas and Golden State).

Luckily he has Kobe as his #1 to get offensive rebounds over Brandon Bass and nail FTs near the end of games.

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
It's hard to compare Parker and Odom, they play completely different positions.

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Kind of like everyone knows about you being spursdynasty?

Kind of like how everyone knows the Pacers are the laughing stock of the NBA?

JamStone
03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Kind of like how everyone knows the Pacers are the laughing stock of the NBA?

The Miami Heat take great offense to that comment.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Watch ducks go f'n berserk over this thread

JamStone
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Watch ducks go f'n berserk over this thread

ducks thinks LeBron James is the best No. 3 player in the league.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
ducks thinks LeBron James is the best No. 3 player in the league.:lol

PacerFan
03-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Eh, we may be having a rough year, but at least I don't go flip flopping teams and names on this forum based on who is doing well and who has embarrased themselves.

Sportcamper
03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
And to think that it was just last season that Lakers fans were trashing Lamar on forum boards & the LA Times… :lol

JamStone
03-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Last season??? Try still the first half of this season.

Warlord23
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
And watch them rip Odom to shreds when the Lakers get knocked out in the 2nd round.

hater
03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Caron Butler or Antoine Jamison >>>>> Odom

Rasheed Wallace or Hamilton >>>>> Odom

David West or Tyson Chandler >>>>> Odom

and Odom is not clearly better than Ray Allen, Tony Parker, Monta Ellis, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Marcus Camby

charles must have been smoking some chronic with webber in the back

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Eh, we may be having a rough year, but at least I don't go flip flopping teams and names on this forum based on who is doing well and who has embarrased themselves.

I don't. Laker fan through and through. At least I support my team, Conseco Field House looks mighty empty these days. Bunch of bandwagon Pacer fans only show up when their team is doing well.

LakeShow
03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Barkley didn't say the best 3rd "option" in the league. He said the best 3rd player talent wise in the league per team. I agree with that statement! But it all depends on who you're claiming as the 3rd best player on certain teams. Some of the names I see, like Ginobili are not the 3rd best players on their team. IMO

stretch
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
yea, talentwise Odom is an incredible talent, as i said earlier, more talented and gifted than a lot of #1 guys in the league.

JamStone
03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I didn't hear what Charles said last night, but the title of this thread states that Charles said Odom was the "best No. 3 player." That doesn't specify that it only relates to talent.

At any rate, it's still only arguable at best that Odom is more talented than guys like Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Caron Butler, and Tony Parker.

Medvedenko
03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Caron Butler or Antoine Jamison >>>>> Odom

Rasheed Wallace or Hamilton >>>>> Odom

David West or Tyson Chandler >>>>> Odom

and Odom is not clearly better than Ray Allen, Tony Parker, Monta Ellis, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Marcus Camby

charles must have been smoking some chronic with webber in the back

I say Odom is better Monta, Grant Hill, and Chandler at this time. Look at stats and overall impact lately. Odom can be a very good #2 when his head's in the game. I can't say the same thing about those afformentioned players.

blink
03-28-2008, 03:07 PM
:lol @ odom being better than parker/allen/ellis

Ronaldo McDonald
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I can't wait to see "The Big Choke" aka Lamar Odom fail miserably in the playoffs. I have never, ever seen a player choke as many times as him.

MrChug
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Odom is a better player than Parker, Allen, and Ellis.

:lmao

LakeShow
03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I didn't hear what Charles said last night, but the title of this thread states that Charles said Odom was the "best No. 3 player." That doesn't specify that it only relates to talent.

At any rate, it's still only arguable at best that Odom is more talented than guys like Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Caron Butler, and Tony Parker.

I didn't hear what charles said last night either but this article implies that he said Odom's versitility makes him the 3rd best player on any team. He is more versitile than Butler, Parker, Allen, Hamilton, etc..(I wont use Wallace because no way, in my opinion is he the 3rd best player on Pistons. I would give him co-best on the team, tied with Billips). Odom can play any position on the floor and play it well. The guy does it all! Defend, rebound, leads the break, assists, blocks. He is definitely the best 3rd player on any team in my opinion.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I say Odom is better Monta, Grant Hill, and Chandler at this time. Look at stats and overall impact lately. Odom can be a very good #2 when his head's in the game. I can't say the same thing about those afformentioned players.

He fails - all the time - in crunch time. The fact that his effectiveness invariably slips come playoff time makes him a VERY independable 3rd option at best.

Medvedenko
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
He fails - all the time - in crunch time. The fact that his effectiveness invariably slips come playoff time makes him a VERY independable 3rd option at best.[/QUOTE]

Actually, he hit the game winner vs GS last game....and has improved his late game decision making with timely rebounds and blocks. Hell, I wanted him gone a while ago but he's converting me and he always plays hard in the playoffs. He played very well last year and it wasn't his play that lost us the series. Show me some facts that prove your sentiment or are you just another parrot that gets fed information from everyone else.
[QUOTE]Career Playoff Averages
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
03-04 MIA 13 13 39.4 0.445 0.308 0.681 2.5 5.8 8.3 2.8 1.1 0.8 3.23 4.50 16.8

05-06 LAL 7 7 44.9 0.495 0.200 0.667 2.1 8.9 11.0 4.9 0.4 1.1 3.29 3.30 19.1

06-07 LAL 5 5 38.4 0.482 0.273 0.500 4.0 9.0 13.0 2.2 0.4 1.2 2.00 3.40 19.4

Career -- 25 25 40.7 0.467 0.254 0.645 2.7 7.3 10.0 3.3 0.8 1.0 3.00 3.90 18.0

The "3rd Option" at best is independable....wow I'd love a 3rd option that scores 18 and 10.....man you're pretty dense.

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Lamar is just not a great free throw shooter, it's no surprise that he clanks free throws in the clutch because he does it all game. He's a career 70%-75% shooter from the line. His playoff stats are actually better than his regular season numbers FWIW.

That being said this whole discussion is stupid. When Gasol and Bynum get back Lamar won't even be a 3rd option, he'll be a 4th option. And the Lakers will win championships, and the Spurs will be on the decline and never reach the promise land again. And all will be right with the world.

Medvedenko
03-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Lamar is just not a great free throw shooter, it's no surprise that he clanks free throws in the clutch because he does it all game. He's a career 70%-75% shooter from the line. His playoff stats are actually better than his regular season numbers FWIW.

That being said this whole discussion is stupid. When Gasol and Bynum get back Lamar won't even be a 3rd option, he'll be a 4th option. And the Lakers will win championships, and the Spurs will be on the decline and never reach the promise land again. And all will be right with the world.

Let's not count our chickens before they hatch DC. Yes, the guys are looking good based on those training vids lately, but they need to come back close to 100% and then we can talk. Remember, no team has seen us with our full complement of bigs yet. I honestly believe we are holding off playing them together until it's necessary to keep the league guessing. But that's just my opinion.

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Let's not count our chickens before they hatch DC. Yes, the guys are looking good based on those training vids lately, but they need to come back close to 100% and then we can talk. Remember, no team has seen us with our full complement of bigs yet. I honestly believe we are holding off playing them together until it's necessary to keep the league guessing. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not even talking about this season, I"m talking about next season and beyond. This is the last chance the old dinosaurs of the WC have at a ring before the next generation of teams take over. For the Spurs, Mavs, and Suns this is the end of the road.

Next year LAL, POR, NOH, UTA, and HOU will be the top teams in the WC.

remingtonbo2001
03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
I'll say it once and I'll say it again.

Spurs don't have a 3rd Option.

Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are Options 1A, 1B, and 1C. Some nights we might run our offense through Duncan. Other nights it might be Ginobili, or Tony. It usually depends on the flow of the game.

batboy
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Had a thread on this in Spurs awhile back. NFW Odom is better than Parker. What a laugh.

JamStone
03-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I didn't hear what charles said last night either but this article implies that he said Odom's versitility makes him the 3rd best player on any team. He is more versitile than Butler, Parker, Allen, Hamilton, etc..(I wont use Wallace because no way, in my opinion is he the 3rd best player on Pistons. I would give him co-best on the team, tied with Billips). Odom can play any position on the floor and play it well. The guy does it all! Defend, rebound, leads the break, assists, blocks. He is definitely the best 3rd player on any team in my opinion.

Versatility is definitely an asset. That along with the potential to be great does not make a player better than players that simply produce better.

Heck, Jared Jeffries is one of the most versatile players in the league. He still sucks.

It takes more than versatility to be good.

Medvedenko
03-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Versatility is definitely an asset. That along with the potential to be great does not make a player better than players that simply produce better.

Heck, Jared Jeffries is one of the most versatile players in the league. He still sucks.

It takes more than versatility to be good.

Does Jefferies average 18,10 in the playoffs....I'm just saying.... :)

JamStone
03-28-2008, 10:04 PM
What's your point when Lakeshow1 stated:

I didn't hear what charles said last night either but this article implies that he said Odom's versitility makes him the 3rd best player on any team.

PacerFan
03-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Man dazedandconfused, you are awfully defensive about something that completely isn't true. Makes ya wonder...

And loyalty isn't the reason Conseco Fieldhouse is empty, principle is. But I don't want to rain on your parade of pretending to know everything while knowing nothing, so carry on.

ElNono
03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
The "3rd Option" at best is independable....wow I'd love a 3rd option that scores 18 and 10.....man you're pretty dense.

He was the #2 option in those teams at the time. Plus you need to put those numbers in context. He got 10 rebounds a game the last two years against Phoenix. That's actually pretty poor for a guy his size.
Also look at his shooting percentages. 2pt is normal, but 3pt and free throws especially are terribly poor.

I personally remember seeing his play in Miami way back when he was a rookie, playing alongside Wade, and thought he was great and had a lot of upside. But after a couple of years, even playing with one of the best coaches out there, it looks like the guy just doesn't want to put forth the effort or something.
With his size and talent, he should be posting guys up and dominating, but it's just not happening.

Galileo
03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
No team with Lamar Odom will ever advance to the NBA Finals.

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Man dazedandconfused, you are awfully defensive about something that completely isn't true. Makes ya wonder...

And loyalty isn't the reason Conseco Fieldhouse is empty, principle is. But I don't want to rain on your parade of pretending to know everything while knowing nothing, so carry on.

Go fuck yourself. I really don't give a shit what you think.

mystargtr34
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I would rather have Lamar Odom than Monta Ellis ... whatever option he is.

Odom > Chandler

Odom > Ellis

I would take both Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison over Odom

And i would definately take Parker over Odom.

mystargtr34
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow Kobe is gonna do somethin special tonight

Medvedenko
03-28-2008, 11:26 PM
He was the #2 option in those teams at the time. Plus you need to put those numbers in context. He got 10 rebounds a game the last two years against Phoenix. That's actually pretty poor for a guy his size.
Also look at his shooting percentages. 2pt is normal, but 3pt and free throws especially are terribly poor.

I personally remember seeing his play in Miami way back when he was a rookie, playing alongside Wade, and thought he was great and had a lot of upside. But after a couple of years, even playing with one of the best coaches out there, it looks like the guy just doesn't want to put forth the effort or something.
With his size and talent, he should be posting guys up and dominating, but it's just not happening.

Dude he wasn't a rookie when he played in Miami. He had a good season in the Least....big woop

greens
03-28-2008, 11:28 PM

I agree...Manu is more a #2 on the Spurs...Although, this season, he has been lately a #1 in clutch situations especially...He is even in discussions to get some MVP votes...

ChuckD
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
When Odom plays to his potential, I'd say he is. But he rarely does that.
That's why he's not a better #3. Playing to your potential is part of it. I think it's probably ridiculous to talk about Odom's potential at this point in his career. Oh, and call me the next time Odom steps up in the playoffs.

diego
03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
seriously, odom's been in the league what, 8 years? he is what he is, potential aside.

i used to like odom a lot, he was super smooth for a big guy and looked like a triple double waiting to happen- but mentally he never got it together, to the point where you can even argue he hurts more than he helps. still, there are other teams that have better 3rd options, the easiest to point to being the wiz with arenas/butler/jamison- no matter how you rank them, whoever ends up 3rd is better than odom.

SpursFanFirst
03-29-2008, 11:45 AM
The Miami Heat take great offense to that comment.

:lol

LakeShow
03-29-2008, 01:27 PM
The only knock that I had on Odom was injuries. He definitely has the talent and for those misinformed that keep saying Odom is not a playoff performer, you don't know what the fuck youre talking about. Odom is a warrior in the playoffs and brings game!

td4mvp21
03-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I disagree. The Spurs have Parker/Ginobili (I can't even say who is better, they are both so good yet so different). Either one of those > Odom.

E20
03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
When has Parker/Manu ever gotten 10 rebounds and 11 assists?

ChuckD
03-29-2008, 01:41 PM
The only knock that I had on Odom was injuries. He definitely has the talent and for those misinformed that keep saying Odom is not a playoff performer, you don't know what the fuck youre talking about. Odom is a warrior in the playoffs and brings game!
Is that why you keep getting KOd in the first round? Talent doesn't mean shit if you're The Tin Man with no heart.

Odom is just Hedo Turkoglu, with a tan and double the contract, just another monstrously talented waste.

LakeShow
03-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Is that why you keep getting KOd in the first round? Talent doesn't mean shit if you're The Tin Man with no heart.

Odom is just Hedo Turkoglu, with a tan and double the contract, just another monstrously talented waste.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The lakers didn't have the team to get past the first round. Kobe and Lamar were the only ones that we could depend on to bring their games and they did.

DazedAndConfused
03-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm convinced the people on this forum are completely clueless when it comes to the Lakers. I've never seen a group of fans so collectively ignorant about a team in my life.

Warlord23
03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Best # 3 option for the win ..

NQtRXQpZHHg

Warlord23
03-29-2008, 02:12 PM
71SMu8A3VU4

LakeShow
03-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm convinced the people on this forum are completely clueless when it comes to the Lakers. I've never seen a group of fans so collectively ignorant about a team in my life.

Pisses you off to hear so much stupidity, doesn't it? If you don't know, you don't know! They should Just STFU already!

LakeShow
03-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh and Odom played in last seasons playoff with a separated shoulder and still came thru!

Warlord23
03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
If only other # 3 options had this kind of intensity, single-minded focus and sky-high basketball IQ .... they would be on a perpetual "high" like Odom!

T83wyYFI2gQ

td4mvp21
03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
When has Parker/Manu ever gotten 10 rebounds and 11 assists?

I'm pretty sure they've gotten triple doubles or close to it. However, Odom definitely gets those stats more often than both of them.

Someone said it earlier, Odom doesn't always play up to his potential. When he does, he is one of the more talented players in the league. He is a better rebounder than both, probably a better passer than both, but Ginobili and Parker are better scorers. They are also more consistent. Do you want to know how many times Lamar Odom has put up back to back 20 point games this season? Once. Parker? 8 times (including 1 string of 3 games in a row, 1 string of 4 games in a row, 2 of them 30 point games) Ginobili? 12 times (including 2 strings of 4 games in a row, back to back 37 point games). And it's not like Parker and Ginobili suck ass at passing and they rebound well for their size. They can also play defense. Odom is a better rebounder and passer, but Parker and Ginobili are more consistent, better scorers, and more clutch than Odom. As a Spurs fan, of course I'm going to say what I said. It doesn't make me "stupid" because I don't agree with Lakers fans.

Gino
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Odom's a terrific player.

Laker fans: How good do you feel about the Lakers chances of being able to keep him?

My guess is at least next year, but then Bynum's contract will kick in.

Medvedenko
04-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Bump....

Findog
04-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Part of why the Lakers are so talented right now is Bynum is still on his rookie contract. They will have some tough decisions to make when he is due for an extension.

Medvedenko
04-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Part of why the Lakers are so talented right now is Bynum is still on his rookie contract. They will have some tough decisions to make when he is due for an extension.

Yup and I'm sure Buss will pay...Odom may go, you never know, but I know they are keeping Kobe, Gasol, Bynum for sure.

Allanon
04-06-2008, 12:48 AM
#3 option Odom nets 31 points, 10 rebounds, 85% field goal, in Lakers win over Mavs.

Odom's stats across the board in 2007/2008 are decent.

But since January 2008, Odom's #'s have been All Star type #'s. He's a total rebounding machine, gets 15-20 points a night and plays defense, passes out assists and defends.

I don't think you'll find another #3 option that has an all around game like he does...and he's averaging 14 points on 52% shooting for the season.

V82_RWac8Ls

Findog
04-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Odom's playing pretty well, but he raped Dirk on one leg.