PDA

View Full Version : All-Spur Team

Joe Schmoogins
03-28-2008, 12:12 PM
The Timberwolves game tonight has got me thinking...

I've heard a lot of people throw things around like, "Al Jefferson would make a great Spur." I agree. I think he has a lot of these highly valued "spur-qualities" that the players and staff in our organization possess and have bought into. These qualities have developed a culture of professionalism, class, and excellence in success very rarely seen in any professional sport.

So... what exactly are the infamous "spur-qualities?"

I'd say, as Pop put it, the player needs to first get over himself... Other things would include a high talent, bb iq, strongly competitive, and a commitment to defense, hardwork, and teamwork. (being born somewhere other than the U.S. or being over the age of 30 helps but is not required.)

If you could make an All-Spur team (similar to the all-nba team) who would make the cut? Of course this is excluding current Spurs players.

My picks:

1st team:
pg- Chris Paul
sg- Dwyane Wade
sf- Tayshaun Prince
pf- Al Jefferson
c- Dwight Howard

2nd team:
pg- Chauncey Billups
sg- Andre Iguodala
sf- Shane Battier
pf- Carlos Boozer
c- Yao Ming

gmanrulz
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
pg - nash
sg - LeBron
sf - Sjax
pf - Dwight Howard
c - Marcus Camby

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
pg - chris paul
sg - dwayne wade
sf - andre iguadola
pf - kevin garnett
c - chris kaman

JamStone
03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Kirk Hinrich
Brandon Roy
Andre Nocioni
Al Horford
Emeka Okafor

urunobili
03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
CP3 does not have the right attitude to be a Spur... not in a million years :nope

phxspurfan
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
My Squad:

C Dikembe Mutombo
PF Elton Brand
SF Shane Battier
SG Brandon Roy
PG Deron Williams

And for contrast, the 'Anti-Spur' Team:

C Shaquille O'Neal
PF Juwan Howard
SF Vince Carter
SG Ricky Davis
PG Jason Terry

bench

Stephon Marbury
Luis Scola
Michael Finley

JamStone
03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
CP3 does not have the right attitude to be a Spur... not in a million years :nope

Pretty much similar attitude as Bruce Bowen, ultra-competitive and will do anything to help his team win. Not all Spurs players have the same attitude and approach. And, in fact, every team needs those kinds of players with a little edge to them.

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 12:38 PM
My Squad:

C Dikembe Mutombo
PF Elton Brand
SF Shane Battier
SG Brandon Roy
PG Deron Williams

Ummm.....offense?

urunobili
03-28-2008, 12:38 PM
PG Deron Williams
SG Brandon Roy
SF Caron Butler
PF Rashard Lewis
C Kris Kaman

urunobili
03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty much similar attitude as Bruce Bowen, ultra-competitive and will do anything to help his team win. Not all Spurs players have the same attitude and approach. And, in fact, every team needs those kinds of players with a little edge to them.
i think the lil punk earned some new status with us after Bowen's suspension. He showed some dirtiness untapped before

DAF86
03-28-2008, 12:41 PM
PG-Chris Paul
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lebron James
PF-Kevin Garnett
C-Dwight Howard

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
PG Deron Williams
SG Brandon Roy
SF Caron Butler
PF Rashard Lewis
C Kris Kaman

nice to see I'm not the only person in the world who recognizes kaman's productivity.

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
PG-Chris Paul
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lebron James
PF-Kevin Garnett
C-Dwight Howard

No KOBE on Spurs!!! EVER!!! :bang

urunobili
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
nice to see I'm not the only person in the world who recognizes kaman's productivity.
Kaman is Pop's dream of a Center to play alongside TD... i dunno if it's a fetish he has or what! lol i love the guy! he is a TRUE Center

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
PG-Chris Paul
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lebron James
PF-Kevin Garnett
C-Dwight Howard

great all-star line-up, but too many big egos for team chemistry IMO.

Joe Schmoogins
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM

i AGREE.

DAF86
03-28-2008, 12:56 PM

with kobe and lebron maybe but the other guys are very unselfish. besides who cares about "egos" when you can pull a line-up like this.

phxspurfan
03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Ummm.....offense?

Brandon Roy and Deron Williams would take turns running screen-and-rolls with Elton Brand. Shane Battier would roam the perimeter for wide open jumpers and make some back cuts. Dikembe would be an offensive rebounding monster with all the attention focused on defending the Brand screen/roll.

Joe Schmoogins
03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
PG-Chris Paul
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lebron James
PF-Kevin Garnett
C-Dwight Howard

Yah, I just don't know if Kobe and Lebron have the ability to "get over themselves." Garnett is even questionable, but he probably could...

Joe Schmoogins
03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Kirk Hinrich
Brandon Roy
Andre Nocioni
Al Horford
Emeka Okafor

Emeka's a good choice.

ForeignFan
03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Parker
Duncan
Ginobili
Bowen
and Chandler !

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Brandon Roy and Deron Williams would take turns running screen-and-rolls with Elton Brand. Shane Battier would roam the perimeter for wide open jumpers and make some back cuts. Dikembe would be an offensive rebounding monster with all the attention focused on defending the Brand screen/roll.

add up your team's scoring averages: 69.8 pts/game
my team: 101.1 pts/game

I'm not saying it's all about offense, cause it ain't. That's why i made sure to include great defenders like KG, Iguadola and Paul. Dwayne Wade and Kaman are not too shabby on defense either.

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Emeka's a good choice.

I really loved Emeka a few years ago...but is it just me or has he fallen off?

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
I really loved Emeka a few years ago...but is it just me or has he fallen off?

I'll answer myself. No, Emeka has not fallen off. His averages are about as good as ever.