PDA

View Full Version : Marc Iavaroni

tav1
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
It looks as if Iavaroni is on his way out in Memphis. I'd like him as an assistant coach on the Spurs sideline. Our stretches of offensive ineptitude could only be helped by his input. In addition to this, Iavaroni is well connected in Europe and might help our scouting department some, not that they're lagging overseas.

When he was in Phoenix I couldn't have disliked him more, but I'm willing to forget all that.

My guess is that Iavaroni will take a head coaching job for a good college program, though.

FromWayDowntown
03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Iavaroni might just go back to Phoenix if he's going to be an assistant.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2008, 02:27 PM
He's responsible for Boris and Amare's suspensions because he believed his press clippings and thought he was already a head coach.

Pass.

tav1
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
It would be better for his resume to help another program succeed. If he goes back to Phoenix, he's forever relagated to the realm of assistants, he's forgotton in D'Antoni's shadow. But if he were to go elsewhere and have an impact--say, San Antonio--and, at the same time, have opportunity to learn something new from a successful program....

There is no way he goes back to Phoenix.

tav1
03-28-2008, 02:32 PM
ChumpDumper, that's a petty reason to pass. You live, you learn.

FromWayDowntown
03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
It would be better for his resume to help another program succeed. If he goes back to Phoenix, he's forever relagated to the realm of assistants, he's forgotton in D'Antoni's shadow. But if he were to go elsewhere and have an impact--say, San Antonio--and, at the same time, have opportunity to learn something new from a successful program....

There is no way he goes back to Phoenix.

He may already be relegated to the realm of assistants, anyway. Guys who build up reputations as great assistants but get dumped at the end of the first year of a head coaching gig don't tend to get a lot of second chances. The circumstances are the circumstances, but I'd be very surprised if Iavaroni is ever a head coach again in the NBA.

JamStone
03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I think it's more so ineptitude rather than inaptitude. Any issues with the Spurs offense is not due to lack of talent.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2008, 02:37 PM
ChumpDumper, that's a petty reason to pass.Name another instance of an assistant coach's being responsible for losing a playoff series.

timvp
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I liked him better when he played the dad on Full House.

tav1
03-28-2008, 02:39 PM
He may already be relegated to the realm of assistants, anyway. Guys who build up reputations as great assistants but get dumped at the end of the first year of a head coaching gig don't tend to get a lot of second chances. The circumstances are the circumstances, but I'd be very surprised if Iavaroni is ever a head coach again in the NBA.

I agree. But I'd be just as surprised if he believed this.

There is also so the benefit of networking when one takes a job with a different franchise. The Spurs are well connected in that regard.

Actually, as I think about, there is probably a stronger chance of Iavaroni wanting to work for Pop than there is of Pop wanting him.

If Iavaroni is savvy, he'll do something along these lines and spin this Memphis gig as doomed from the start because of the owenership mess and his being handed one of the worst trades in league history.

tav1
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Name another instance of an assistant coach's being responsible for losing a playoff series.

Well, I honestly think the Suns lose that series regardless. It's a bit much to blame that entire incident on Iavaroni. And his boss, Mike D, shares some blame for setting the irrational hot head tone, anyway.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, I honestly think the Suns lose that series regardless. It's a bit much to blame that entire incident on Iavaroni. And his boss, Mike D, shares some blame for setting the irrational hot head tone, anyway.It is the head coach's job to go apeshit at moments like the the Horry bump.

Look at the Spurs' assistant coaches' reaction to the Manu/Stackhouse scuffle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4GDYlRRKbrU

picnroll
03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually in the youtube it looks like it was Pop leading the charge to get in front of the players and the assistants were following his lead. They hesitated. Duncan was already standing up.

tav1
03-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I think it's more so ineptitude rather than inaptitude. Any issues with the Spurs offense is not due to lack of talent.

Yep, I made the change. I always make the same mistake with prostate and prostrate too.

tav1
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
It is the head coach's job to go apeshit at moments like the the Horry bump.

Look at the Spurs' assistant coaches' reaction to the Manu/Stackhouse scuffle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4GDYlRRKbrU

It wasn't just the Horry bump. His entire body of work is underscored by his temper. An isolated moment of heated protest here and there is good, a tenure of it...not so much.

But really, this is all beside the point. At the conclusion of last season, in the wake of the Amare suspension, Iavaroni was a hot item. League execs did not read nearly as much, if anything at all, into that incident that would disqualify him from being a head coach, let alone an assistant. We're talking about whether or not he could help the Spurs as an assistant. I still say, "yes."

That Jerry West isn't such a boob, is he?

ShoogarBear
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
That Jerry West isn't such a boob, is he?He's done a great job rebuilding the Lakers this year.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
West was pretty much the worst GM in the NBA the past five year period.

mojorizen7
03-28-2008, 10:46 PM
He's responsible for Boris and Amare's suspensions because he believed his press clippings and thought he was already a head coach.

Pass.
Insider information to be sure.... :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
03-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Insider information to be sure.... :rolleyesYeah, national broadcasts are difficult to come by. You got to have connections.

Like basic cable.