PDA

View Full Version : if this team finishes number one.....

Ignignokt
03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
could manu being the highest scorer, even without the same intangibles that duncan creates..

could he be in the mvp discussion.

DazedAndConfused
03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
no

Ignignokt
03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
you're right.

i forgot the celtics still have a record we won't be able to catch.

DAF86
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
he has already been in the mvp talk earlier in the season but he doesn't care.

MrChug
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
you're right.

i forgot the celtics still have a record we won't be able to catch.

True...but with that said, Garnett hasn't been very high in the MVP talks. It's just been the big 3: Kobe, LJ, and CP3 for quite some time. Whenever the argument comes up, it's always: "He may not even be the best player on the TEAM!! (Pierce)." I'm not saying he would have no chance...but if we DID end up with the #1 and if indeed it WAS between Garnett and Manu, they could make the same argument against Manu.

The only possible way to even think it's a possibility would be for the Spurs to win out down this VERY tough stretch and Manu consistently play at his 2 time player of the week status...neither are going to happen.

I'd rather him save it for the playoffs...:flag:

Mister Sinister
03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Eh. MVP award is overrated.

Galileo
03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Manu averages a half point more than Duncan and you think he's more valuable?

What about rebounding? Duncan is the only rebounder or shotblocker on the team.

Ever see how many picks Duncan sets on offense. He sets more picks than anyone since Wes Unseld.

Duncan's assists are about equal to Manu as well.

Duncan should be the league MVP.

Take away Duncan and tell me the Spurs would be any better than the Milwaukee Bucks, with no big men.

DAF86
03-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Ever see how many picks Duncan sets on offense. He sets more picks than anyone since Wes Unseld.

Take away Duncan and tell me the Spurs would be any better than the Milwaukee Bucks, with no big men.

Agree with the last part but take away Manu and the spurs wouldn't be a playoff team either

Bruno
03-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Ginobili isn't even the most valuable Spurs.

Galileo
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Agree with the last part but take away Manu and the spurs wouldn't be a playoff team either

really?

Duncan, Parker, and Bowen wouldn't make the playoffs?

DAF86
03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
really?

no this season no

remingtonbo2001
03-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Drugs are bad for you.

DAF86
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Drugs are bad for you.

maybe but that doesn't change the fact that without manu this year the spurs would be looking for a high draft pick for next season right now

E20
03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
No.

smeagol
03-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Niet

Sense
03-28-2008, 06:55 PM
really?

No he's right..

We wouldn't make the playoffs this year without Manu..

He's our leading scorer and he saved us in so many close games..

look at the standings.. we wouldnt be there.. at all..

TampaDude
03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
If by MVP, they mean the Most Valuable Player to his team, then LeBron wins it hands down.

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Ginobili isn't even the most valuable Spurs.
duh

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:21 PM
If by MVP, they mean the Most Valuable Player to his team, then LeBron wins it hands down.
not mvps have the top 1-4 seeds

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 10:24 PM

I agree with every word.

TampaDude
03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
LeBron took a team of scrubs to the NBA Finals last year.

Did Kobe ever do that? NOPE

Did CP3 ever do that? NOPE

Did KG ever do that? NOPE

'nuff said...

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
:rolleyes

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 10:27 PM
No he's right..

We wouldn't make the playoffs this year without Manu..

He's our leading scorer and he saved us in so many close games..

look at the standings.. we wouldnt be there.. at all..

true...but that still doesn't make him the MVP of the Spurs. much less the league.

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:27 PM

'nuff said...
this is this year not last year
james should not get mvp for this regular season because he helped get a team to the finals in the postseason

TampaDude
03-28-2008, 10:28 PM
this is this year not last year
james should not get mvp for this regular season because he helped get a team to the finals in the postseason

Isn't LeBron leading the NBA in scoring this season???

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:28 PM

'nuff said...
postseason has not to do with regular season
see mvp winners nash and dirk

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Isn't LeBron leading the NBA in scoring???
duncan could to if he did not share the ball

Zydrunas and james lead the league for the 2 most scoring combo in the nba

james has HELP

TampaDude
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
postseason has not to do with regular season
see mvp winners nash and dirk

:lol Good point...

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 10:30 PM

'nuff said...

Lebron did it in the Leastern Conference. CP3, Kobe and KG were all playing in the West. Try again.

TampaDude
duncan could to if he did not share the ball

Duncan is the key to the Spurs' success. No Duncan, no rings.

NASpurs
duncan could to if he did not share the ballYet Lebron averages more assists than Duncan. You fail.

TampaDude
Lebron did it in the Leastern Conference. CP3, Kobe and KG were all playing in the West. Try again.

Who would you give it to, then? Kobe?

duncan228
03-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Isn't LeBron leading the NBA in scoring this season???

Yes, 30.7.
Kobe is second, 28.3

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Yet Lebron averages more assists than Duncan. You fail.
must mean he has better shooting teamates

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
scola he has to win it he got the rockets that winning streak all by himself

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Right now, probably CP3 or Tim Duncan.

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
when do they vote on the mvp?

if lakers are in first place at the time
it has to be kobe

greens
03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Manu is in the discussion for an MVP voting place...But obviously, he won't win. It is between Lebron/Kobe/Chris Paul/etc...I think Manu will get some votes, though. He has been mentioned a lot in articles and by the announcers on tv...

Here is a recent example, a top 5 candidates for MVP according to one writer:
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/pusports/local_story_085063100.html

Manu Ginobili

2007-08 stats: 20.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.5 spg.

Impact: It's hard to admit, but Ginobili barely edges out James for my fifth spot. Ginobili gets the nod when the two teams' records are taken into account and, more importantly, how Ginobili has found ways to keep the Spurs afloat whenever Tony Parker and Tim Duncan have been injured. Even more impressive is that he's been the ultimate team player, accepting a role off the bench despite being a top five shooting guard. (Would King James ever do that?) Ginobili still is the Spurs' leading scorer and will be the reason they are in the thick of the title chase once again. Unfortunately, Ginobili likely will get the Sixth Man Award and not a top five MVP finish.

p.s. I do think it's funny how fast ducks is here once he hears about Manu and MVP in the same sentence...

TampaDude
03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Right now, probably CP3.

I will say this: The Hornets are the real deal this year.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-28-2008, 10:35 PM
no matter what he wins or doesnt win, we still have manu ginobili

TampaDude
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
no matter what he wins or doesnt win, we still have manu ginobili

:toast

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Manu is in the discussion for an MVP voting place...But obviously, he won't win. It is between Lebron/Kobe/Chris Paul/etc...I think Manu will get some votes, though. He has been mentioned a lot in articles and by the announcers on tv...

Here is a recent example:
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/pusports/local_story_085063100.html

Manu Ginobili

2007-08 stats: 20.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.5 spg.

Impact: It's hard to admit, but Ginobili barely edges out James for my fifth spot. Ginobili gets the nod when the two teams' records are taken into account and, more importantly, how Ginobili has found ways to keep the Spurs afloat whenever Tony Parker and Tim Duncan have been injured. Even more impressive is that he's been the ultimate team player, accepting a role off the bench despite being a top five shooting guard. (Would King James ever do that?) Ginobili still is the Spurs' leading scorer and will be the reason they are in the thick of the title chase once again. Unfortunately, Ginobili likely will get the Sixth Man Award and not a top five MVP finish.

p.s. I do think it's funny how fast ducks is here once he hears about Manu and MVP in the same sentence...

I just got done playing with my 4 month old son
excuse me for not being here earlier

peskypesky
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I will say this: The Hornets are the real deal this year.

True. In the regular season. We'll have to reserve judgement til we see them in a playoff game, though.

greens
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I just got done playing with my 4 month old son
excuse me for not being here earlier

Awww...By the way, how old are you, if it's not a secret? :)

ducks
03-28-2008, 10:40 PM
over 30

by the way I wanted manu to win the finals mvp when the spurs played the pistons

greens
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
over 30

by the way I wanted manu to win the finals mvp when the spurs played the pistons

I wanted the 05 Finals to have Manu/Timmy as co-MVPs...

:)

DAF86
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
true...but that still doesn't make him the MVP of the Spurs. much less the league.

i never said that manu is the MVP of the spurs

Galileo
03-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Take away Duncan, and the Spurs big men are Oberto, Horry, Bonner and Kurt Thomas. A team like that couldn't even make the playoffs in the east.

With Duncan, the Spurs lead the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage.

The Spurs are third in fewest points allowed and 6th in FG% defense.

Duncan has been the most valuable player in the league almost every season he's played, including this one.

DAF86
03-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Take away Duncan, and the Spurs big men are Oberto, Horry, Bonner and Kurt Thomas. A team like that couldn't even make the playoffs in the east.

With Duncan, the Spurs lead the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage.

The Spurs are third in fewest points allowed and 6th in FG% defense.

Duncan has been the most valuable player in the league almost every season he's played, including this one.

take away manu and our swingmen are finley, bowen and udoka guys that can't even driblle the ball.
don't get me wrong i'm not saying manu is more important than tim i'm just saying that without ginobili the spurs aren't a contender this year... same without duncan.

jag
03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
You won't find any posts with me hugging manu's nuts...he's probably my 3rd favorite spur, but i'll call it like i see it, and we wouldnt be a playoff team this year without manu.

ducks
03-28-2008, 11:15 PM
you replace jr smith with manu
yes manu is alot better then manu
spurs would still make the playoffs with jr smith

DAF86
03-28-2008, 11:22 PM

no way. manu has carried the team during a lot of stretches this season (tony and tim injuries) JR would never be able to carry a team

ducks
03-28-2008, 11:25 PM
did not manu get hurt this year to?

DAF86
03-28-2008, 11:30 PM
did not manu get hurt this year to?

yeah like for two games (actually i don't know how much but it wasn't too long).
anyways that's not the point. do you imagine JR scoring 44 and a game winner or playing against dallas and utah without duncan and scoring 37 back to back to get the W or 46 in cleveland etc...

duncan228
03-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Manu missed 5 games, plus most of the one he got hurt in against the Clippers.

ducks
03-28-2008, 11:39 PM
yeah like for two games (actually i don't know how much but it wasn't too long).
anyways that's not the point. do you imagine JR scoring 44 and a game winner or playing against dallas and utah without duncan and scoring 37 back to back to get the W or 46 in cleveland etc...
jr went off for 24 points in 4 quarter before
7 three pointers

I am not saying jr smith is greater then manu
but if you replace manu with someone like jr smith they would make the playoffs

DAF86
03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
jr went off for 24 points in 4 quarter before
7 three pointers

I am not saying jr smith is greater then manu
but if you replace manu with someone like jr smith they would make the playoffs

he did that when the game was out of reach (garbage time).
JR is very talented but he's no leader. manu is

ducks
03-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Did I ever say manu is not a leader
if jr smith was here he would not be the leader
other players are leaders with spurs not named manu

jag
03-28-2008, 11:51 PM

if up was down and left was right then...

We aren't talking about jr. smith, cause there's no reason to talk about jr. smith.
The Spurs had to depend on someone to lead the team while tony was out 13 games. Considering Tim wasn't playing well and Manu played the best basketball i've ever seen him play: without Manu this season the Spurs wouldnt be a playoff team.

DAF86
03-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Did I ever say manu is not a leader
if jr smith was here he would not be the leader
other players are leaders with spurs not named manu

what i'm saying is that manu was able to carry the team through all these though stretches 'cause he's a leader JR wouldn't be able to do that.
therefore no manu no playoffs but that's just my opinion i'm not trying to change yours

it's me
03-29-2008, 12:00 AM
what i'm saying is that manu was able to carry the team through all these though stretches 'cause he's a leader JR wouldn't be able to do that.
therefore no manu no playoffs but that's just my opinion i'm not trying to change yours

Dude, don't waste your time on this moron... it's probably Eva. you won't change her mind.

DAF86
03-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Dude, don't waste your time on this moron... it's probably Eva. you won't change her mind.

:lol

...i don't know he seems like a nice guy but with different opinions

bobbyjoe
03-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Regardless of where the Spurz finish up, Manu should get consideration.

His #'s in the clutch this season are simply off the charts-ridiculous. (less than 5 minutes left, game's outcome still in the balance).

He's the guy that kills teams when games are on the line. He's bailed the Spurs out of many games this year which were going down to the wire with his late game heroics. I don't think the national media truly realizes the extent to which this has happened this year, but those who've watched the Spurs do.

That said, it's still Chris Paul. Manu should be top 5 after Paul, Kobe, and Lebron. He may well be over KG, given that KG still has Pierce and Allen and Manu has had a Duncan-Parker combo who's missed a lot of games and Duncan has slipped in his play.

greens
03-29-2008, 01:28 AM

...i don't know he seems like a nice guy but with different opinions

If you go back and check out most of ducks posts, you'll see a lot of anti-Manu posts...

Actually, if you even check out today's game thread, the Spurs/Timberwolves one...you'll find entertaining posts...especially towards the end of the thread...
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90603

DAF86
03-29-2008, 01:43 AM

If you go back and check out most of ducks posts, you'll see a lot of anti-Manu posts...

Actually, if you even check out today's game thread, the Spurs/Timberwolves one...you'll find entertaining posts...especially towards the end of the thread...
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90603

i know but i don't like beign rude to people

greens
03-29-2008, 01:53 AM
i know but i don't like beign rude to people

I agree. Besides, every fan has his or her favorite Spurs player...And that's not a problem at all since we all have the right to like or dislike whichever player...it's just that I don't like when Spurs fans start creating divisions...meaning insulting one player in order to make their favorite player look better...

DAF86
03-29-2008, 01:55 AM
I agree. Besides, every fan has his or her favorite Spurs player...And that's not a problem at all since we all have the right to like or dislike whichever player...it's just that I don't like when Spurs fans start creating divisions...meaning insulting one player in order to make their favorite player look better...

:tu

greens
03-29-2008, 01:56 AM
:tu

DAF86
03-29-2008, 01:57 AM

:toast

...i can go on all night :lol

Obstructed_View
03-29-2008, 02:31 AM
It's certainly interesting that a guy who didn't even make the all star team is in the discussion for MVP.

SuperManu!!!
03-29-2008, 02:57 AM

'nuff said...

Put Kobe on the east and he will win it all. Maybe not this year because of the celtics but you understand my idea

roycrikside
03-29-2008, 05:31 AM
This is pointless. If the Spurs didn't have Manu, they wouldn't make the playoffs. If they didn't have Duncan, they wouldn't make the playoffs. I'm not sure they could even sneak in as the 8th seed without Tony. Our role players are so bad/old/marginal that we have to rely heavily on our big three.

All that being said, I think Manu is well deserving of 5th place in the MVP race. He's been the Spurs most consistent player and always comes up huge when it counts. It'd be hard not to vote him 5th if the Spurs finish 1st in the West.