PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon and the number 9 . . .

peewee's lovechild
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
I found this on a website (http://www.answers.com/topic/number-9-dream?cat=entertainment) I was checking out to find the meaning of his song "#9 Dream".

I thought it was pretty interesting:

- Born at 6:30 pm (6+3+0=9) on October 9th

- Sean was born October 9th

- Brian Epstein first saw John and the Beatles at the Cavern on
November 9th 1961, and secured there recording contract with EMI
on May 9th 1962

- Love Me Do, the Beatles debut record, was on Parlophone R4949

- John met Yoko on November 9th 1966.

- John and Yoko's apartment was located at West 72nd Street, New York
City (7+2=9), and their main Dakota apartment was also, at first, 72

- The bus John used to go to the Liverpool At College was bus 72 (7+2=9)

- The license plate number on the car that killed his mom was KLF 630
(6+3+0=9), and was driven by Police Constable 126 (1+2+6=9)

- "Penny Lane" (nine letters) is in postal district 18 (1+8=9) in
Liverpool (nine letters).

- "Sgt. Pepper" has nine letters, as does Mimi Smith, Jim Gretty (who
sold John his first real guitar), Mr. Stevenson (his art college
principal), Bob Wooler at the Cavern, the Maharishi, and Bill Harry
at Mersey Beat.

- Early Beatles venues were the Jacaranda (nine letters), the Blue Angel
(nine letters), and the Cassanova (nine letters).

- Julian Lennon was born at Sefton General Hospital, 126 (1+2+6=9)
Smithdown (nine letters) Road, Liverpool (nine letters). Both John's
mother and step father were pronounced dead there.

- John took nine General Certficate of Education exams and failed them
all.

- John first group was the Quarry Men (nine letters)

- When John first met Cynthia, she was living at 18 (1+8=9) Trinity Road,
Hoylake.

- On the cover of "Walls & Bridges", there is a painting that John did
when he was 11 of a football player with a big "9" on his shirt.

- John wrote "Revolution 9", "#9 Dream", and "One After 909", which was
written at his mothers home at 9 Newcastle (nine letters) Road,
Wavertree (nine letters), Liverpool (nine letters).

- When John moved Mimi from Liverpool (nine letters) to Sandbanks (nine
letters) in Dorset, her address was 126 (1+2+6=9) Panorama Road.

- "All we are saying, is give peace a chance" (nine words)

- In Paris in 1964, John recieved a death threat that said "I am going
to shoot you at 9 tonight".

- John sold Tittenhurst Park to Ringo on September 9th 1973.

- Both John Ono Lennon and Yoko Ono Lennon together contain 9 "o"s.

- John was killed at 10:50 pm in New York on December 8th, the five
hour time difference meant that it was December 9th in Britain.

- His body was taken to Roosevelt (nine letters) Hospital. It was situated
on Ninth Avenue, Manhattan (nine letters).

- He was pronounced dead there at 11:07 pm (1+1+0+7=9).

katyon6th
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Whoever spent the time on figuring all of that out needs to get a life.

midgetonadonkey
03-28-2008, 03:13 PM
If John Lennon was alive today he's be guest starring on American Idol.

peewee's lovechild
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
If John Lennon was alive today he's be guest starring on American Idol.

Fuck you for saying that bullshit!!

Fuck you right up the ass with a tree trunk!!

Evan
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I heard that Yoko told John he needed to come off as more "mystical" since that was a trend among musicians at the time and she randomly came up with that number to help start his post Beatles image.

I’m not saying that site is wrong or anything…just interesting to hear another story behind it.

Evan
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Looks like it's true...cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Nine_Dream

mrsmaalox
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I heard that Yoko told John he needed to come off as more "mystical" since that was a trend among musicians at the time and she randomly came up with that number to help start his post Beatles image.

I’m not saying that site is wrong or anything…just interesting to hear another story behind it.
That may very well be; maybe Yoko was the one who made some of the correlations between the number and John's life. And the article indicates that John was only conscious of the number when he named the song.

Evan
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
That may very well be; maybe Yoko was the one who made some of the correlations between the number and John's life. And the article indicates that John was only conscious of the number when he named the song.

true true

Anyone read any good books on the Beatles? Just about everything I have read has been sanctioned by them so I am sure a lot of the dirty was left out.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
- John met Yoko on November 9th 1966.it was all downhill after that.

Evan
03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
it was all downhill after that.

I love getting my dad wound up about her. Its so easy. Even something as simple as saying "Troy Polamalu looks like Yoko" gets him mad.
:lol

mrsmaalox
03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
true true

Anyone read any good books on the Beatles? Just about everything I have read has been sanctioned by them so I am sure a lot of the dirty was left out.
I've never read any Beatle's books; but I've read a bit about Led Zeppelin and all that "mystical/satanical" stuff they were into and it seems most of it was BS. BS feuled by LOTS of drugs and opportunistic hangers-on.

degenerate_gambler
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
"turn me on deadman...turn me on deadman.....turn me on deadman..."

Evan
03-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I've never read any Beatle's books; but I've read a bit about Led Zeppelin and all that "mystical/satanical" stuff they were into and it seems most of it was BS. BS feuled by LOTS of drugs and opportunistic hangers-on.

I suppose every musician was trying to come off as an intellectual at the time. I remember seeing a documentary/concert on Pink Floyd…I think it was Live at Pompeii and Roger Waters comes off as a complete idiot as he rants about the impending collapse of “the system” where all you will have left is music. He was trying so hard…lol

peewee's lovechild
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Both of you are wrong. Lennon was well aware of the significance of the number 9 before he hooked up with Yoko.

And, Yoko didn't influence John's spiritualism. She wanted him to be more of an artist rather than just be a musician. She was a renowned artist at the time and she wanted John to be her art-soul.

John always struggled with the direction of his spirituality.

peewee's lovechild
03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I suppose every musician was trying to come off as an intellectual at the time. I remember seeing a documentary/concert on Pink Floyd…I think it was Live at Pompeii and Roger Waters comes off as a complete idiot as he rants about the impending collapse of “the system” where all you will have left is music. He was trying so hard…lol

Roger Waters is so full of himself.

Maybe that's why Gilmour basically kicked him out of the band and re-recorded Pink's songs with him singing the lead.

Gilmour is a musical genius, though.

Evan
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Both of you are wrong. Lennon was well aware of the significance of the number 9 before he hooked up with Yoko.

And, Yoko didn't influence John's spiritualism. She wanted him to be more of an artist rather than just be a musician. She was a renowned artist at the time and she wanted John to be her art-soul.

I will freely admit you're probably right about the 9 but man I don't know about the rest. Yoko seemed like a massive catalyst for a lot of weirdness with John.

Evan
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Roger Waters is so full of himself.

Maybe that's why Gilmour basically kicked him out of the band and re-recorded Pink's songs with him singing the lead.

Gilmour is a musical genius, though.

gaggree

peewee's lovechild
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I will freely admit you're probably right about the 9 but man I don't know about the rest. Yoko seemed like a massive catalyst for a lot of weirdness with John.

Dude, read some biographies on Lennon.

He was always anti-establishment and always spoke out.

He was the catalyst for the Beatles changing thier music.

Paul even kind of blamed him for Sgt. Pepper's (one of the greatest albums of all time) saying that John took them down an unexpected path. That was before Yoko.

As a matter of fact, John blasts Paul for saying this in one of his songs called "How do you sleep?"

Yoko had some kind of artistic control over him, but not all that much. She had more control on how he lived his life. She got him off drugs. But, that's about it.

John would've probably divorced Yoko if he were still alive. They were on the outs prior to his death.

mrsmaalox
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Well like I said I've never read anything on the Beatles......and I was just going by the article you posted which referenced John's awareness of the number 9 in relation to the title of the song only. But I knew I could count on you to correct anything I may have mizundastood!!! ;)

Evan
03-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Dude, read some biographies on Lennon.

He was always anti-establishment and always spoke out.

He was the catalyst for the Beatles changing thier music.

Paul even kind of blamed him for Sgt. Pepper's (one of the greatest albums of all time) saying that John took them down an unexpected path. That was before Yoko.

As a matter of fact, John blasts Paul for saying this in one of his songs called "How do you sleep?"

Yoko had some kind of artistic control over him, but not all that much. She had more control on how he lived his life. She got him off drugs. But, that's about it.

John would've probably divorced Yoko if he were still alive. They were on the outs prior to his death.

I know he was already into a lot of those things but she amplified it.

peewee's lovechild
03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I know he was already into a lot of those things but she amplified it.

She was his excuse to act out and publicize his ideals, although I don't doubt that he was in love with her.

However, there is much that points to the fact that he was getting tired of her towards the end.

He especially resented that Yoko kept blocking his relationship with his first son, Julian. She lost her daughter, I don't remember if she died or if the child was given custody to her father, and she refused to let John have a relationship with his son.

She did more harm to him than anything else. But, John let himself fall into that situation because he had mother issues, so he's not without blame himself.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
true true

My dad has the Beatles Anthology book. It's a massive book. It contains pretty much everything you would want to know that is Beatles-related. The entire book is basically an arrangement of the tons and tons of interviews that the band members did.

As far as reading it goes, I haven't read the whole thing. But I'd imagine it's probably the most accurate and intimate book about the Beatles out there.

ShoogarBear
03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/runninscared/spitzer.jpg

And if John Lennon was alive, this would have been his governor.

Coincidence? . . . I think not!

timvp
03-29-2008, 05:04 AM
Star Track and the Beatles? :pctoss

J.T.
03-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Whoever spent the time on figuring all of that out needs to get a life.

Seconded.

peewee's lovechild
03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Star Track and the Beatles? :pctoss

You suck.

midgetonadonkey
03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
You suck.

Never speak ill of my BFF again.

Evan
03-29-2008, 11:14 PM
She was his excuse to act out and publicize his ideals, although I don't doubt that he was in love with her.

However, there is much that points to the fact that he was getting tired of her towards the end.

He especially resented that Yoko kept blocking his relationship with his first son, Julian. She lost her daughter, I don't remember if she died or if the child was given custody to her father, and she refused to let John have a relationship with his son.

She did more harm to him than anything else. But, John let himself fall into that situation because he had mother issues, so he's not without blame himself.

....and that is what let to the song, Hey Jude.