PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili still owns Minnesota (Jeff McDonald article)

MaNuMaNiAc
03-29-2008, 01:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032908.01D.BKNspurs.wolves.gamer.390d827.html

Ginobili still owns Minnesota

Web Posted: 03/29/2008 12:32 AM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Manu Ginobili missed his first two attempts Friday night, perhaps to trick the Minnesota Timberwolves into thinking that he was indeed human. To reiterate the point, he tossed up another 3-pointer in the third that was lucky to scrape iron.

The Wolves weren't falling for this brand of rope-a-dope. Three previous games against Ginobili this season had taught them better.

"He can get hot quick," Minnesota's Corey Brewer said. "He hits a few shots, and he gets going."

By game's end, the Ginobili whom the Timberwolves had come to know and loathe this season was back.

Ginobili scored 16 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter, including a stretch of 11 straight, to help the Spurs pull away for a 99-84 victory at the AT&T Center. In doing so, he continued a mastery over Minnesota that borders on mystical.

Compared with 44- and 31-point nights at Minnesota this season, Ginobili's latest outburst seemed mundane. In four victories over the Wolves, he averaged 30.8 points, a clip that actually went down Friday.

At least Ginobili cooled off somewhat from the 3-point line. He only made 5 of 8 tries Friday, dropping his season percentage against Minnesota to 71 percent (22 of 31).

Even now, Ginobili is only vaguely aware of his season-long torment of the Timberwolves.

"I remember the two games up there," he said. "I don't remember the other one here."

So good has Ginobili been this season against the Wolves that his 22-point, five-steal effort on Jan. 12 seems forgettable.

Ginobili, for now the Spurs' sixth man, won't find his name mentioned among Most Valuable Player candidates. But, like Walter Mondale in 1984, he should have no trouble pulling votes in Minnesota.

By the end of the night, Timberwolves coach Randy Wittman left the AT&T Center happy for one thing. He didn't have to look at Ginobili again.

"I am tired of seeing him," Wittman said.

Tony Parker scored 18 points to go with eight assists for the Spurs, while Michael Finley continued his recent hot spell with 16 points on 7-of-8 shooting.

All told, the Spurs shot a scorching 53.5 percent from the field, overwhelming the Wolves with a 35-17 second quarter.

The victory was the Spurs' sixth in a row, propelling them from fifth place in the Western Conference to second, percentage points behind New Orleans.

It also gave the Spurs (50-23) of their ninth consecutive 50-victory season. In NBA history, only Boston (1980 to 1988) and the Los Angeles Lakers (1980 to 1991) can boast streaks of at least that long.

This No. 50 didn't come without a smidge of drama.

After pushing their lead as high as 20 in the third quarter, on an almost-dunk from Finley in transition, the Spurs nearly squandered away all of it before the start of the fourth.

Rashad McCants and Ryan Gomes, who finished with 17 points as one of six Wolves in double figures, took turns bringing Minnesota back.

Minnesota (18-53) was within four early in the fourth quarter. That's when Ginobili, mild-mannered for most of the night, emerged from his imaginary phone booth, wearing his invisible cape.

First, he darted in for a layup. Then, he followed one 3-pointer with another. He nailed a pull-up jumper from 14 feet then for good measure, another 3-pointer.

All told, Ginobili's fourth quarter onslaught took all of two minutes and 57 seconds. By the time it was done, the Spurs were ahead 88-72.

"Manu is one of those guys, when the game's on the line and tough shots need to be taken, he seems to make them," Spurs swingman Ime Udoka said. "We like to sit back and watch him sometimes."

Burned by Ginobili for the last time this season, the Timberwolves can take heart in this: Until next year, they don't have to.

greens
03-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks for posting. Really nice article...

By the end of the night, Timberwolves coach Randy Wittman left the AT&T Center happy for one thing. He didn't have to look at Ginobili again.

"I am tired of seeing him," Wittman said.

:lol

Samr
03-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Anyone else think this was a really, really good article? I mean I know it's easy (and fun) to praise Ginobili, but there were a few lines especially that I really liked in there.

InK
03-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Its just another Manu article, they all seem the same to me.

m33p0
03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
First, he darted in for a layup. Then, he followed one 3-pointer with another. He nailed a pull-up jumper from 14 feet then for good measure, another 3-pointer.
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/news/ginobili_m_080328.asx?post1=http%3A//boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/advertising/nbat_9367_wah_west_playoff_contenders.asx&post1impression=http%3A//ad.doubleclick.net/imp%3Bv7%3Bx%3B155983075%3B0-0%3B1%3B10747685%3B400/300%3B25419584/25437441/1%3B%3B%7Eokv%3D%3Btype%3Dpost1%3Bsz%3D400x300%3Bd cmt%3Dtext%3Bnbasite%3Dnba%3B%7Ecs%3Dh%253fhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fm1.2mdn.net/dot.gif

cbinge
03-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Minnesota (18-53) was within four early in the fourth quarter. That's when Ginobili, mild-mannered for most of the night, emerged from his imaginary phone booth, wearing his invisible cape.

I've always liked the Super Manu reference, but I got to listen to shoening this week, and his Manu-voodo reference is pretty cool. I was working with some guys from argentina this week, I had them all leaving saying manu-voodo.....