PDA

View Full Version : Manu mentioned in MVP race...kind of...

SpursFanFirst
03-29-2008, 05:29 AM
In today's ESPN Dime, they're talking the MVP race.
Look....some love for Manu! :spin

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080329-30

Nowitzki's No. 5: Steve Nash

Weekend Dime ranking: Manu Ginobili is our No. 5

Nash's standout stats: 17.5 ppg, 11.2 apg, 3.4 rpg, 51.8 FG%, 48.2 3PT%

Nowitzki's comment: "There's always a case for Nashy."

Weekend Dime assessment: Pierce, Dwight Howard and Tracy McGrady all merit a mention here, as does Duncan, Amare Stoudemire and, yes, Nowitzki.

Yet I'd be going with Ginobili if my ballot were due today because he's been the most dangerous and dependable Spur this season.

Think about that.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

SpursFanFirst
03-29-2008, 05:37 AM
This was just below the MVP talk.

From Jan. 29 through March 15, Manu Ginobili started 21 times for the Spurs in a span of 23 games.

But Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sent Ginobili back to the bench before their recent loss at home to Boston and says there will be no more flip-flopping.

Pop has decreed that Ginobili will remain in his sixth-man role for the rest of the season, meaning that Ginobili will finish the season with just 23 starts and thus ensuring that he'll receive the NBA's Sixth Man Award for the first time, probably unanimously. :tu

"That's when we've played our best basketball historically and that's what we're going to stick with," Popovich said of using Ginobili as a reserve.

WalterBenitez
03-29-2008, 06:20 AM
hmmmm... I'd love to .. but probably ony MVP's caliber are KB, KG, LBJ, Nash ... CP

greens
03-29-2008, 06:26 AM
I posted the following in another thread...but it fits here too.

It's another very recent article about Manu being in the Top Five for the MVP voting...
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/pusports/local_story_085063100.html

Manu Ginobili

2007-08 stats: 20.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.5 spg.

Impact: It's hard to admit, but Ginobili barely edges out James for my fifth spot. Ginobili gets the nod when the two teams' records are taken into account and, more importantly, how Ginobili has found ways to keep the Spurs afloat whenever Tony Parker and Tim Duncan have been injured. Even more impressive is that he's been the ultimate team player, accepting a role off the bench despite being a top five shooting guard. (Would King James ever do that?) Ginobili still is the Spurs' leading scorer and will be the reason they are in the thick of the title chase once again. Unfortunately, Ginobili likely will get the Sixth Man Award and not a top five MVP finish.

carina_gino20
03-29-2008, 06:27 AM
I'd love to see Manu's face when he receives that 6th Man Trophy. :lol

SouthernFried
03-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Yet I'd be going with Ginobili if my ballot were due today because he's been the most dangerous and dependable Spur this season.

Think about that.

One of the fav teams to win the championship...and Ginobili's "been the most dangerous and dependable" on the team.

I mean, really...think about that.

Has anyone ever won the 6th man award...AND the MVP?

I know...I know. But, the fact that's its even mentionable.

:dizzy

J.T.
03-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Manu has as much chance of winning MVP as I do of being mistaken for Brad Pitt.

Borosai
03-29-2008, 07:34 AM
I predict Manu will take a step-back, half-court shot with that trophy. Vbookie?

T Park
03-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Im sure he would be very happy if it happened.

Cherry
03-29-2008, 09:13 AM

i'm not. He said "i don't like a little trophy" so, i don't know if his face will be something like :) or :oops or :huh

bdictjames
03-29-2008, 10:33 AM
:lol

manubili
03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Nba teams should be allowed to differenciate their "top team", and the "starters team". It's obvious that Ginobili goes to the bench because of tactical reasons, he's not "spurs sixth man", actually he's sharing the first option with some guy named Duncan.
I don't think that Manu would be pissed if he wins it, he wont care. But I do think that I would pissed if I am a legit good sixth man of another team and the trophy goes to one of the big three of the actual champion.
THAT'S pretty unfair.

SpursFanFirst
03-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Oh my gosh! Brad Pitt is a Spurs fan??? :lol

porscha
03-29-2008, 11:54 AM
is it a bench/ reserve can NOT be an mvp ?
how about in finals?
nba official rules?

1Parker1
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
If Ginobili gets even ONE vote for MVP this year, will that be the first time an MVP candidate wasn't even chosen on the All Star team that same year?

1Parker1
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm still scoffing at Brandon Roy getting voted in by Western Conference coaches to the All Star team over Ginobili.