PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Timberwolves - Mar. 28

timvp
03-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Stop me if you’ve heard this plot before. The Spurs get up early on a lottery-bound team. The Spurs fall asleep. The lottery-bound team makes a run. The Spurs wake up and put away the lottery-bound team. Friday night’s game was the same song, with the Minnesota Timberwolves singing the chorus.

It’s almost comical how the Spurs haven’t been able to put away these bad teams lately. The Spurs can get up but they can’t land the knockout punch. Instead, it takes a big fourth quarter to secure the win. This game, the Spurs outscored the T’Wolves 31-22 in the fourth to win 99-84.

Minnesota has assembled some good talent on their roster. Even though the Spurs guarded him well tonight, Al Jefferson is an offensive machine. Next to Tim Duncan, he might have the best post moves in the entire NBA. Ryan Gomes, Randy Foye, Corey Brewer and Craig Smith are quality role players that should help the T’Wolves make a push for the playoffs in a couple seasons.

For San Antonio, it was another ugly victory. I’m going to chalk the lack of a killer instinct to boredom at this point. You can literally see the team get bored and then regroup for a game-winning run.

Overall, I’ll definitely take the win. This current six-game winning streak has the Spurs near the top of the Western Conference standings. A few more wins and the Spurs could be back on top of the pack.

-I wasn’t too impressed with how Tim Duncan played. He didn’t have much energy offensively and settled for difficult shots most of the time. Defensively, he was pretty good but it was nothing to write home about. Duncan finished with 12 points, 14 rebounds, two assists, two blocks, one steal and no turnovers, while shooting 4-for-13 from the field and 4-for-4 from the line. His numbers turned out decent because he’s Tim Duncan, but the Spurs will need better efforts in the upcoming games.

-Manu Ginobili had another spectacular fourth quarter. In the final stanza, Ginobili had 16 points on 5-for-5 shooting from the field. The entire team has started to look to Ginobili to come up with magic in the fourth quarter. For much of the season, Ginobili has had no trouble pulling a rabbit out of his hat. In 25 minutes, Ginobili had 26 points, three assists and one rebound, while shooting 8-for-11 from the field and 5-for-8 from three-point land. Defensively, Ginobili wasn’t too active and he was one of the many Spurs who seemed to let up on the gas in the third quarter. But when it counted, Ginobili was there – again.

-Tony Parker played his role well. The Spurs need him to continually push the action and get easy shots for himself and others. He did just that for most of his time on the court. Parker finished with 18 points, eight assists and three rebounds, while shooting 7-for-13 from the floor. Parker’s play suffered when Pop moved him to shooting guard in the third quarter. The team became stagnant and Parker didn’t have the ball enough to help rev up the offense. That said, Parker has to be among those who keep constant pressure to not allow the team to hit lulls.

-Bruce Bowen only played 19 minutes since the T’Wolves don’t currently have a perimeter scorer. It was basically a night off for Bowen. In his 19, he had two points and two rebounds. With nothing for Bowen to do defensively, Pop opted for more offense.

-I don’t want to say Michael Finley is back but it is safe to say his condition is no longer grave. Left for dead just a few weeks ago, Finley poured in 16 points in 23 minutes on 7-for-8 shooting from the field. He’s playing confidently and his shot looks smooth right now. Even his defense is better than it was during his shooting slump. The Spurs don’t need much from Finley but if he can prove to be a semi-consistent fourth scorer, the Spurs become a much more difficult team to beat.

-Fabricio Oberto was one of the main culprits in the lacking energy department. He wasn’t moving too well and wasn’t very alert offensively or defensively. In 15 minutes, Oberto had two points and four rebounds. Hopefully Oberto will bring more effort on a consistent basis from here on out.

-Ime Udoka had a really nice game. He did a good job of picking his spots offensively and was active defensively. Udoka played 26 minutes and had eight points, three rebounds, one assist and one steal, while shooting 3-for-4 from the field. He also finished with a team-high plus/minus of +22. It was one of Udoka’s most solid outings in recent weeks, all aspects considered.

-Kurt Thomas played 21 minutes and did decent. The brightest spot of his play was his defense in the post against Jefferson. Offensively, Thomas was ragged and took a couple of questionable shots. He finished with four points and four rebounds on 2-for-5 shooting from the field. Thomas is proving to be a decent to good backup center but hasn’t shown many flashes recently of being capable of playing a major role for this team.

-I was really impressed with how Matt Bonner played. Usually, players who have taken residence in Pop’s doghouse don’t live to talk about it. Bonner seems to have taken his limited role in stride and there isn’t much rust when he plays. He just competes and provides good energy. That was especially true against Minnesota. In 21 minutes, Bonner had seven points and four rebounds, while hitting 3-of-4 shots. He doesn’t appear to be in line for meaningful playoff minutes but it’s good to know he’ll be ready when called on.

-Jacque Vaughn was again solid but he didn’t play as outstanding as he had been playing in the last six games. In 19 minutes, Vaughn had two points and two assists on 1-for-4 shooting. Even though his play wasn’t as crisp, he was still more than good enough.

-Damon Stoudamire played nine minutes and didn’t make a case for himself to play any additional minutes – to say the least. Honestly, he was horrible. Stoudamire was hesitant offensively and was a sieve defensively. He single-handedly stagnated the offense and allowed the T’Wolves to go on a run. To be fair, Stoudamire was obviously rusty after not playing meaningful minutes in quite a while.

-Robert Horry and Brent Barry both didn’t play. Horry is still recuperating from a knee bruise. Barry is trying to come back from his second calf strain of the season.

-Pop coached this game like he was coaching earlier in the year. The rotation was tossed to the side as Pop let everyone who was eligible to play get into the game for a decent run. Basically, Pop coached like this was a preseason game.

The results are pretty difficult to argue with. The Spurs won relatively easily with Parker playing 27 minutes, Ginobili playing 25 minutes and Bowen playing 19 minutes. It’s always good to get those players some rest, especially during this brutal month of March.

The coaching move I question most was Pop inserting Stoudamire into the game. The Spurs were rolling in the third quarter and then Pop let Stoudamire play the second half of the quarter. Instead of putting him in for Parker, Pop put Stoudamire next to Parker. That alignment just caused confusion for everyone and it couldn’t have done much for Stoudamire’s confidence. I realize that Pop is trying to keep Stoudamire in shape and mentally into things but it was a odd time and an odd alignment to put him in there. Waiting for the start of the fourth quarter and letting him play the whole fourth quarter would have made more sense, to me at least.

The bottomline is the Spurs didn’t end up losing the game. Pop and the team casually went about things and got their sixth straight win. But now it is time for the team to dial it up. The schedule gets a lot tougher from now until the end of the season. The Spurs play the Houston Rockets on Sunday afternoon at home in a game that has a lot of playoff implications. The Spurs need to handle the Rockets and extend this winning streak to seven games.

Believe.

WalterBenitez
03-29-2008, 06:42 AM
I was waiting this :D

Duncan finished with 12 points, 14 rebounds, two assists, two blocks, one steal and no turnovers,

I am still amazing how usual are his numbers, we only expect he'll do this ...great numbers Tim!!!

don’t want to say Michael Finley is back but it is safe to say his condition is no longer grave

Great!!!, I am glad to see he "is back" since we sucked very bad lately.

I was really impressed with how Matt Bonner played. Usually, players who have taken residence in Pop’s doghouse don’t live to talk about it. Bonner seems to have taken his limited role in stride and there isn’t much rust when he plays

Only good news from this game.

xtremesteven33
03-29-2008, 06:43 AM
If it wasnt for Stoudemire we wouldve blown these guys out by 25+ points....the big 3 wouldve rested 10+minutes in the 4th quarter.....

Damon has to be banned from the court here on out...

urunobili
03-29-2008, 07:10 AM
If it wasnt for Stoudemire we wouldve blown these guys out by 25+ points....the big 3 wouldve rested 10+minutes in the 4th quarter.....

Damon has to be banned from the court here on out...
that would have given even more rest to the big three... :depressed

carina_gino20
03-29-2008, 07:25 AM
I also didn't understand that Parker-Stoudamire lineup. I mean, :wtf ?

I'm really impressed with how Bonner's handling his situation thus far. It can't be easy sitting on the bench for the whole game, never knowing when or if you're going to play. The best chances he's had this season was on back-to-backs when Pop doesn't play Rob. But I haven't heard a single complaint from Matt. Maybe he doesn't have a right to complain, but there are a lot of other players who are in the same situation but will bitch and bitch about it.

polandprzem
03-29-2008, 07:40 AM
It was absolutely horriable to watch this big lead to disappear in so short period of time.
Pop gave Damon a chance to show what he's got. HE has got nothing and he looks lost and depressed, not a good sign. We must to count on Jaque all the way through the playoffs then. Without Barry Gino will have to take some minutes in the PG position.

As for Mike. When he is hitting he is hitting. His shots are nothing but net with a beauty of a swish sound. I wish he was a better passer esp. to Tim on the low block. Not the first game he had problems on that department.
Hopefully he will stay hi in making the shots. We need them as he is the only shooter left. (not counting Gino when he is hot)
All his shots were J's acept the easy dunk!

Tim was quite good on D but again, he didn't knew where was the basket and he did not knew what to do in some situations, and that lead him to the stupid T foul. A tech was caused only by frustration.

I like Kurt's screens. Probably the best screen player we had since Rasho went to Canada.
(Other then Tim)

A bit of relief came to me when I saw TP in this game. he was diong his stuff, getting to the rim and wow, he was making assists. Minny was not great on D but the confidence is getting back.

All in all aunt called me and asked if I want some good pierogi. I don't want no pierogi. I want spurs to repeat!

bigfundamental21
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Stop me if you’ve heard this plot before. The Spurs get up early on a lottery-bound team. The Spurs fall asleep. The lottery-bound team makes a run. The Spurs wake up and put away the lottery-bound team. Friday night’s game was the same song, with the Minnesota Timberwolves singing the chorus.
As a Spurs fan.... this is something we have to live with. Good thing is that the Spurs pull out the win in the end in most cases.

-I wasn’t too impressed with how Tim Duncan played. He didn’t have much energy offensively and settled for difficult shots most of the time. His numbers turned out decent because he’s Tim Duncan, but the Spurs will need better efforts in the upcoming games.
It was an average performance by Duncan, but he did enough to get the job done. He has played better of late and I know he will bring it when it matters most. I really like how he has been shooting the ball from the line lately. This could be the best he has ever shot free throws in his career. Although his offense wasn't stellar, I still like that he brings it on defense and crashes the boards.

-Manu Ginobili had another spectacular fourth quarter. In the final stanza, Ginobili had 16 points on 5-for-5 shooting from the field. The entire team has started to look to Ginobili to come up with magic in the fourth quarter. For much of the season, Ginobili has had no trouble pulling a rabbit out of his hat.
Manu has been incredible in the fourth all season. I know he consistently performs when winning time comes, but I hope that the team doesn't rely too much on leaving it to Manu to rescue us in the end of games.

-I don’t want to say Michael Finley is back but it is safe to say his condition is no longer grave. He’s playing confidently and his shot looks smooth right now. Even his defense is better than it was during his shooting slump. The Spurs don’t need much from Finley but if he can prove to be a semi-consistent fourth scorer, the Spurs become a much more difficult team to beat.
Finley's recent turnaround is important and hopefully, he can continue to play well. We will need his scoring when the playoffs start. He just seems to be more relaxed out there and just letting the game come to him. Sometimes he tries to force the action and he just needs to remember where he is and just let his game come from the open opportunities he gets when the ball goes in to Duncan.

-Kurt Thomas played 21 minutes and did decent. The brightest spot of his play was his defense in the post against Jefferson. Thomas is proving to be a decent to good backup center but hasn’t shown many flashes recently of being capable of playing a major role for this team.
Thomas has become a great backup, but I also like when Pop puts him on the floor with Duncan. Together, they can really make things difficult for teams in the post. This could be an important key should we face Phoenix or the Lakers in the playoffs. Thomas has fit in very well and seems to understand his role.

-Damon Stoudamire played nine minutes and didn’t make a case for himself to play any additional minutes – to say the least. Honestly, he was horrible.
I think it is safe to say that the Damon Stoudamire experiment is a bust. The only positive thing that has come out of his signing is that the extra competition really jump started Vaughn. Stoudamire is a defensive and offensive liability. His size alone makes it difficult for us to match up with teams.

The coaching move I question most was Pop inserting Stoudamire into the game. The Spurs were rolling in the third quarter and then Pop let Stoudamire play the second half of the quarter. Instead of putting him in for Parker, Pop put Stoudamire next to Parker. That alignment just caused confusion for everyone and it couldn’t have done much for Stoudamire’s confidence.
Playing Parker and Stoudamire together was a really bad move and it definitely caused us to lose the momentum we were building at that point in the game. I just think Pop saw it as an opportunity to get Damon some playing time. Unfortunately, he left him in there for too long.

I'm ready for the Spurs to take it to the Rockets tomorrow. We need to get this win and keep the streak alive.

BELIEVE!

T Park
03-29-2008, 07:56 AM
They still blew em out, kept minutes down and won.

Ginobili only plays 25 mins, Duncan high 20s.

I personally didn't look at this game as bad as everyone else.

bigfundamental21
03-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I missed the entire game.... what was tim's tech for?
Tim complained about a foul and the ref T'd him up. Tim was just getting frustrated and barked at the ref.

SAGambler
03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
They still blew em out, kept minutes down and won.

Ginobili only plays 25 mins, Duncan high 20s.

I personally didn't look at this game as bad as everyone else.

Thought it was decent.Spurs blew them out as much as the Spurs will ever blow anyone out. Spurs won't embarrass another team by piling it on.

DarrinS
03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Is it a coincidence that the Spurs became stagnant when Damon came into the game?

It may sound harsh, but Damon is completely useless to the team. The only time I'd bring him in is to drible out the remaining seconds of a blowout.

I don't think Kurt Thomas played as poorly as Timvp says. My only beef with him is he sometimes picks up silly fouls. Otherwise, he's a pretty headsy player -- I especially liked seeing him hit that quick turnaround jump shot when he realized there was only one second on the shot clock.

The recent play of Michael Finley is very encouraging. I think it has a lot to do with knowing Barry is back.

Overall, ugly game, but I'll take the W. Every W in these remaining games is very valuable.

DarrinS
03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I missed the entire game.... what was tim's tech for?

Tim bitching about a foul call that he didn't get. If you ask me, he was being a baby, because there was very little contact on that play.

In another play, Tim had a textbook block where he had the ENTIRE BALL in his hand and they called a foul on him. Oh well, refs are only human and are imperfect at best.

spurschick
03-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I've noticed a little lack of energy against these lottery bound teams, but I'm chalking it up to them trying to stay healthy. An injury on any level would suck right now, but there would be added insult if it were to come in a game against a team like the Timberwolves.

wildchild
03-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't think Kurt Thomas played as poorly as Timvp says. My only beef with him is he sometimes picks up silly fouls. Otherwise, he's a pretty headsy player -- I especially liked seeing him hit that quick turnaround jump shot when he realized there was only one second on the shot clock.

Poorly as Timvp says? :rolleyes

He says decent not poorly.

Maybe he thinks, KT with 4 points (2/5) and 4 rebounds in 22' hasn't a great game and just a decent game.

I think the same.

wildbill2u
03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I also didn't understand that Parker-Stoudamire lineup. I mean, :wtf ?

I'm really impressed with how Bonner's handling his situation thus far. It can't be easy sitting on the bench for the whole game, never knowing when or if you're going to play. The best chances he's had this season was on back-to-backs when Pop doesn't play Rob. But I haven't heard a single complaint from Matt. Maybe he doesn't have a right to complain, but there are a lot of other players who are in the same situation but will bitch and bitch about it.
I don't think we should forget how Bonner handled it when the team went to New England, his home territory, and Pop didn't even give him a courtesy appearance on the court.

You know Matt had to have begged, borrowed or stole every ticket he could acquire for his relatives and hometown fans. But from all evidence, he never let it affect his attitude in the locker room or with the coaching staff.

I admire his professionalism. I would've been pissed and shown it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Next year Matt will break out. Or at least he better.

1Parker1
03-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Are the Spurs getting overreliant on Ginobili to bail them out in the 4th quarter?

"Manu is one of those guys, when the game's on the line and tough shots need to be taken, he seems to make them," Spurs swingman Ime Udoka said. "We like to sit back and watch him sometimes."

Warlord23
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Positives from the game:

Ime getting more PT than Bruce. Bruce will have his hands full with T-Mac on Sunday.

Kurt getting more PT than Fab. Oberto will be needed more vs Houston given the smallish frontcourts Adelman will trot out (Landry, Scola, Hayes). Btw, do our Argie friends have any insight on whether Oberto does well while matching up with Scola?

Manu, TP and Fin getting less than 30 mins apiece. Houston has a nice set of small guards: Alston, Bobby Jackson, Head, etc who will need to be defended.

Only negative of the night: Timmy still played 34 minutes. But given that Mutombo plays 20 minutes or less, Timmy should still draw doubles against the undersized Rockets.

DarrinS
03-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Poorly as Timvp says? :rolleyes

He says decent not poorly.

Maybe he thinks, KT with 4 points (2/5) and 4 rebounds in 22' hasn't a great game and just a decent game.

I think the same.

You have to look deeper than that. The +- while Oberto was playing was -5, while the while it was +17 for KT. KT got an offensive rebound that he immediately kicked out to Manu for a 3 -- a 3 that got Manu on a very good roll -- Manu even said so after the game.

I just think KT is one of the better centers that the Spurs have had in a while and he hasn't even been on the team very long.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
You have to look deeper than that. The +- while Oberto was playing was -5, while the while it was +17 for KT. KT got an offensive rebound that he immediately kicked out to Manu for a 3 -- a 3 that got Manu on a very good roll -- Manu even said so after the game.

I just think KT is one of the better centers that the Spurs have had in a while and he hasn't even been on the team very long.

I like the intangibles that Kurt Thomas brings to the table as well. He's a very good passer out of the post and seems to be in the right position defensively. He's not super athletic, but being in the right position and his long arms helps to make up for his lack of hops. He doesn't have Tim's offensive moves but doesn't put up too much stuff under the basket that makes you shout "Why?!!!" at the television set.

I think his importance to this team will be especially felt in the post season.

smeagol
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Rockets will be a nice test . . .

td4mvp21
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I was frustrated with how lackadaisical the Spurs were playing but I think you're right, it has to be boredom. No one was into this game, especially the crowd. Hopefully the Spurs will come out with some energy and intensity against the Rockets on Sunday, as will the crowd.

As for the playing in spurts, I think it's worthy mentioning that another team that did it so much was the 04-05 team, in the regular season of course. I remember they would struggle at first, get up big, lose the lead, and get the lead back up in the fourth quarter. I think if you look at it like that it goes to show that the Spurs are bored. But, bored or not, they really need to come out and try to put away games as quickly as possible. They can't afford to lose another game this season (they probably will though) and they really, really need to try to get a 1, 2, or even 3 seed and no lower.

SpursFanFirst
03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
-I was really impressed with how Matt Bonner played. Usually, players who have taken residence in Pop’s doghouse don’t live to talk about it. Bonner seems to have taken his limited role in stride and there isn’t much rust when he plays. He just competes and provides good energy. That was especially true against Minnesota. In 21 minutes, Bonner had seven points and four rebounds, while hitting 3-of-4 shots. He doesn’t appear to be in line for meaningful playoff minutes but it’s good to know he’ll be ready when called on.

:tu I didn't get to see this game, but it sounds like he held his own.

There are too many hate threads on this site where Bonner is concerned, so it's good to see you giving him props.