PDA

View Full Version : MORE bad news for Lakers....

xtremesteven33
03-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Derek Fisher has a partially torn tendon in his right foot, an injury that typically requires six to eight weeks of rest, although the Lakers point guard will try to play through it.

An MRI exam Friday confirmed that Fisher injured his peroneus longus tendon after pushing off the foot while changing direction in Wednesday's game against Charlotte.

"I feel good enough to see if I can help the team," Fisher said. "That's basically what the decision is going to be based on, is how I feel out there and whether I can really be effective enough to be a positive influence on helping us win games. If at any point I start to feel like I can't do that, then I'll make a decision at that point."

Fisher said he initially felt tightness under his foot a couple of weeks ago that was similar to the sensation of plantar fasciitis, which is painful swelling in the arch of the foot. The flash point came against Charlotte, although further damage cannot be done to the tendon, Lakers officials said.

"If this happened during the middle of the season or something like that, he would probably rest for six to eight weeks in order to heal," team spokesman John Black said Friday. "It's a pain and inflammation thing. If he can play, he'll be on anti-inflammatory and pain medication, and try to play through it."

The Lakers will officially list Fisher as day-to-day.

Fisher, 33, has been a steadying influence in the locker room during his second tour with the Lakers. He was averaging 12 points and 2.9 assists before Friday and has played in all 73 games this season.

If Fisher's injury eventually sidelines him, Jordan Farmar will pick up a majority of his minutes. Sasha Vujacic would also assume some ball-handling duties.

"My concern is more about Fish and his health," Farmar said. "But if need be, I'll step in and try to help this team win any way I can."

polandprzem
03-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Gasol curse

T Park
03-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Thats a pretty significant blow as Fisher is huge for stretching the floor for Kobe and Pau.

bobbybob0
03-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Too bad, I want every teams at full strength for this epic playoff battle out west.

J.T.
03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Too bad, I want every teams at full strength for this epic playoff battle out west.

I don't. Injuries are part of the game. Real men play through the pain, like Tim Duncan did in 2005 and 2006.

Mr. Body
03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
That's an injury a player can perhaps play through, loosing it up in the course of a game. But it's more than likely to have a big impact on his performance.

ChuckD
03-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Gasol curse
0.4 curse.

There are very few players who I don't feel bad about when they get injured. DFish is definitely at the top of that short list.

DaDakota
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
0.4 curse.

There are very few players who I don't feel bad about when they get injured. DFish is definitely at the top of that short list.
No doubt that pull down of Monte was crap.

DD

1Parker1
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't think this was the Lakers year anyways to get to the Finals as everyone thought. They have way too many injuries to significant players to think everything will fall magically into place in the playoffs and stay healthy while going through the Brutal Western Conference Playoffs.

Next year, with a healthier team, and Gasol and Bynum having a whole season to play together, that's when I think the Lakers are going to be a serious threat.

1Parker1
03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Hornets and Jazz are the scariest teams in the West for the Spurs I think. Followed very closely by the Pheonix Suns.

O-Factor
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Walk it off........

ChuckD
03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Hornets and Jazz are the scariest teams in the West for the Spurs I think. Followed very closely by the Pheonix Suns.
The Jazz are still a defensive donut team. Boozer made Oberto look like a f'ing All Star in that series last year, and I imagine that in the intervening year, he has neither grown or learned how to block shots and defend the basket.

NO is really good. To get to them, you have to attack Peja and CP3. They're both pretty soft on D. They'll probably put Peja on Bowen, so TP is key in any series we may play them.

td4mvp21
03-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I hope Dfish, Bynum, and Gasol get better for the Lakers. I hate it when teams aren't at full strength. Also, I hate how the excuses come out when teams have injuries. It just bugs me.

Anyway, I think that the Lakers will still be very tough this year. They are still competitive, and they are missing two very good frontcourt players. They were very good with Gasol even without Bynum. It's a Phil Jackson coached team with Kobe, a good all-star, two good role players, and a deep bench. They won't be easy.

td4mvp21
03-29-2008, 11:25 AM
The Jazz are still a defensive donut team. Boozer made Oberto look like a f'ing All Star in that series last year, and I imagine that in the intervening year, he has neither grown or learned how to block shots and defend the basket.

NO is really good. To get to them, you have to attack Peja and CP3. They're both pretty soft on D. They'll probably put Peja on Bowen, so TP is key in any series we may play them.

Agreed with everything you said. The Jazz still cannot play defense nor win on the road. And with a bunch of good road teams in the West, they shouldn't count on winning every homecourt game. They won't get past the second round, if they even get out of the first IMO.

As for New Orleans, they are a damn good team....as long as everything is going smoothly and their way. When they aren't hitting shots, or when the other team steps up the defense, or when the calls don't go their way, they fall apart. To me, that shows they are mentally weak and still immature as a whole. They don't have championship level defense and they don't have the individual defenders to lock down all-stars and superstars (as last night showed). I still think they won't be easy though.

SpursFanFirst
03-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I hope he gets better soon. He's always been a classy guy, so I hate seeing him down.

DazedAndConfused
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Fish is one of the classiest players the NBA has. Wishing injury on his is just downright despicable. I expect it from Warrior fans, but I thought Spurs fans had a lot more class.

The other day I read a post by someone who said Derek Fisher's daughter deserved to have eye cancer :(

itzsoweezee
03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
link?

Galileo
03-29-2008, 11:38 AM
It looks like injury is making the Spurs drive for 5 a little easier. The Lakers, the Rockets, and the Mavs have all been hit by the injury bug.

tmtcsc
03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I've stretched my peroneous longus many times :p:

tempest186
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I was never much of a Fisher fan but I always respected him as a competitor and last year when his daughter got sick I respected him even more for making his family his priority. Injuries suck, I agree with DazedandConfused wishing them on others is not acceptable. I hope Fisher and his daughter get well soon. Dazed, how is Fisher's daughter doing?

Spurs Dynasty 21
03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Parker would have a field day with him

TheTruth
03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Fish is one of the classiest players the NBA has. Wishing injury on his is just downright despicable. I expect it from Warrior fans, but I thought Spurs fans had a lot more class.

The other day I read a post by someone who said Derek Fisher's daughter deserved to have eye cancer :(
Looks like the 2 guys wishing injury on him were a Knick and Rocket fans.

BonnerDynasty
03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
God love the Spurs.

Just add this to the list!

DaDakota
03-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I hope Dfish, Bynum, and Gasol get better for the Lakers. I hate it when teams aren't at full strength. Also, I hate how the excuses come out when teams have injuries. It just bugs me.
What about Yao, and Steve Francis?

:D

DD

DaDakota
03-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Looks like the 2 guys wishing injury on him were a Knick and Rocket fans.

I don't wish injury on anyone, but I am not going to cry for Fisher about it either.

DD

ChuckD
03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't wish injury on anyone, but I am not going to cry for Fisher about it either.

DD
+1

I also can separate a player from his family. Saying that his daughter deserves eye cancer is despicable and sub-human.

ancestron
03-29-2008, 01:15 PM
oh well...

Jimcs50
03-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I hope Dfish, Bynum, and Gasol get better for the Lakers. I hate it when teams aren't at full strength. .

Not me, I want all of them to be hit by a bus. :)

T Park
03-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Uh wrong on both counts numbnuts.

No one wished the injury.

I like Fisher and hold no ill will twords him and have seen no one else.

STFU.

peskypesky
03-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Jazz don't scare me. Not after last year's series. But who knows, maybe they'll be a tougher opponent this year.

nfg3
03-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Injuries really suck but are part of the game. See TD 2000 & 2006, Drob 2002 and Manu in 2006 as injuries that definitely hurt the Spurs chances of winning a ring.

Dfish is a classy guy - he was just doing his job in '04 against us - and I think most Spur fans would have loved to get him as a backup to TP this year. I know I would. We welcomed Horry to this team but then again he missed that game ending shot in in game 5 in '03, too. :)

DAINTX
03-29-2008, 05:13 PM

I agree. Fisher is a good guy. He's a competitor, and some have problems with that. I don't. There is entirely too much crying among fans, and some players, around the league. Ex. Bruce Bowen. Too much crying about Bruce's style. He's a competitor. He is relentless. Players complain instead of being just as relentless with him. He doesn't ever cry. He leaves that to others. And that's cool. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

DazedAndConfused
03-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I feel the same way about Bowen. I can't stand the guy on the court when we play the Spurs, but I'm not going to denigrate him as a man for what he does out there. He's just trying to help his team win.

Tradition
03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Utah would be lucky to push it to 6 games against the Spurs. Their defense fucking sucks and they were a joke to make the WCF last season. They were lucky they werent swept. That series was a one-sided assfucking.

DazedAndConfused
03-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I think if you cant get the #1 seed it would almost be better to shoot for the #5 spot to play UTA, provided you can get HCA over them.