PDA

View Full Version : Tony or Manu

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Better chance to make the all-star game?
will either make the all-star game?

Mr. Body
01-13-2005, 08:04 PM
I believe Tony will make it. Manu's under the radar right now, Tony's getting more press.

1Parker1
01-13-2005, 08:07 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't see either of them making it. I think Tony has a chance to become one next year and I'd love to see Manu make an ALL STAR appearance just once, but I don't see it happening. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Duncan will start this year either...

Tony would have had a good chance to make it, if he hadn't had such a slow start.
Manu would have had a good chance to make it, if he continued to play the way he did in the begining of the season.

So I guess combined they could have made a ALL STAR appearance :)

SequSpur
01-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Tony

Ballcox
01-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I think Tony has the best chance out of the two, he's been getting alot of pub recently as the Spurs have surged or gone on runs of wins. Media always points out how when he's getting assists and taking it to the rack, Spurs play better and win. I don't think either of them actually make the all-star team, but Parker is more 'media friendly' at this point.

ducks
01-13-2005, 08:32 PM
spurs beat suns again tony shutsdown nash
suns coach is coach tp will be picked

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Neither one is likely for the ASG.

But Manu has way more votes than Tony.

Manu is in 5th in Western Conference guards,....

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
the Spurs' guards don't have many chances in the ballots because there are 3 in the ballots:
Manu, TP, Barry....

ducks
01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
fans only vote starters

rest are named by coaches if a coach picks the player it means more to me then a fan vote them in

ducks
01-13-2005, 08:36 PM
manu is more exciting then tp to watch so he gets more votes

Spurminator
01-13-2005, 08:47 PM
If the coaches decide they want two point guards on the roster, Parker is a shoe in.

boutons
01-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Americans hate French people, Tony's French, so Americans won't vote for Tony, and there's probably not enough French voters to overcome that.

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Americans hate French people, Tony's French, so Americans won't vote for Tony, and there's probably not enough French voters to overcome that.
Yeah im sure that's it...

Spurminator
01-13-2005, 08:57 PM
So that's why TMac and Kobe are getting so many votes... Because they're American. NOW it makes sense.

TMTTRIO
01-13-2005, 08:58 PM
then you get coaches who see the same thing Charles Barkley and Doug Collins (even though I don't really like him) who keeps saying that he'd pay to watch Manu play everytime Manu gets out on court. I think it'll be hard for both of them to get into but I have to say I think Tony has a better chance. Sean was saying the other night that it'll be hard for Manu (and to some extent Tony) to be an all star because he plays behind Tim Duncan in a small market team along with Tony playing really well right now and the emergence of the other players on the team. I wish both of them could get in because I believe they both deserve it.

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2005, 09:02 PM
So that's why TMac and Kobe are getting so many votes... Because they're American. NOW it makes sense.
YYAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOO

xcoriate
01-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Parker is by no means a shoe in for second point guard, you still have Mike Bibby to contend with who has been playing well.

Personally I think Parker deserves it, but as he himself said the begining of the season hurt him in this regard. Ah, well time will tell.

GerM
01-13-2005, 09:24 PM
when tp was struggling bad, manu was great.now that tony is great, manu is doing okay and sometimes really good... I dont think tp deserves it just because he s doing well lately

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2005, 09:29 PM
when tp was struggling bad, manu was great.now that tony is great, manu is doing okay and sometimes really good... I dont think tp deserves it just because he s doing well lately
That's a good point.

Many people think TP deserves it just by the last few weeks...

I think neither will make it , but TP and MANU should both be in it.

Kick Nash out, and ray allen or kobe.

Rapists shouldn't be allowed in All Star Games, especially kobe, because he raped that chick in Colorado, and the ASG is in Denver :smokin

maybe kobe will pay that chick a little visit :elephant :elephant

Solid D
01-13-2005, 10:14 PM
There is a chance both could make it in. The reason I think so is because there are typically 2 or 3 injuries, sometimes 2 or 3 in each Conference, in the weeks/days prior to the All-Star Game.

The coaches fill in the bench but I believe the league office can influence decisions. International players are an appealing choice when push comes to shove in replacement situations - particularly as exciting as Manu and TP are to watch and the worldwide following that they have.

boutons
01-13-2005, 10:23 PM
"Yeah im sure that's it..."

If you don't live in the USA, then you probably aren't aware of the wide-spread anti-French attitudes, just as there are planet-wide anti-American sentiments. Why NBA fans/all-star voters be immune to that?

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2005, 10:54 PM
"Yeah im sure that's it..."

If you don't live in the USA, then you probably aren't aware of the wide-spread anti-French attitudes, just as there are planet-wide anti-American sentiments. Why NBA fans/all-star voters be immune to that?
I do live in the USA, and i know its anti french,,,, but think about it..

If someone is voting for an NBA all star game, they wont care about their nationality.

Solid D
01-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Question: If Manu is invited to play in the All-Star game, do you not think The Man of the Year in Argentina and the Gold medal wearing/MVP wouldn't add some interest...aka revenues?

T Park
01-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Parker is half dutch and half american.

He grew up in France.

He IMO is Dutch/American who just lived in france.

Doesnt make him french.

boutons
01-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Tony's 100% US citizen, has been since birth to an American father. But the French-haters don't let facts get in the way. Tony's "rep" in the USA is as a "Frenchman", therefore to be hated.

Solid D
01-14-2005, 12:40 AM
I look at Tony as French. The details that he has a mother from Amsterdam and U.S. father is one thing...plus he was born in Belgium...but let's face it, Tony grew up in France, he went to school there, attended the INSEP, played for PBR, and now is a part owner for PBR, he plays for the French National Team while not playing in the NBA. He would have played for France if they had qualified for the Olympics.

BTW, boutons (buttons), are you French or do you have French ancestry? Just curious.

samikeyp
01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
If you don't live in the USA, then you probably aren't aware of the wide-spread anti-French attitudes, just as there are planet-wide anti-American sentiments.

not everyone in the US hates the French just like not everyone around the world hates Americans. Although I doubt Alvarez actually knows its 100% for sure, without a doubt, absolutely positively an anti-french bias (if you have actual proof, I would be interested in seeing it) but he did make a very good point....the majority of fans don't care about a players nationality just how they play....If their is a bias, its team bias....most fans vote for their own teams players. I don't know the exact breakdown but I am pretty sure the majority of the people who voted for Rasho were Spurs fans.

SequSpur
01-14-2005, 12:46 AM
All foreigners are beggers.

T Park
01-14-2005, 12:48 AM
I look at Tony as French.

He doesnt have French Blood, nor was he born there.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Solid D
01-14-2005, 01:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Parker

Certainly makes for interesting discussion, this topic.

Solid D
01-14-2005, 01:11 AM
This makes things clear as mud (like a politician).

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/otherNBA/view.bg?articleid=16150&format=

Written in the Boston Herald after the Spurs visited the White House and Gregg Popovich asked President Bush, referring to Tony, if "the Frenchman can come in?".

"Tony Parker, who has dual citizenship here and in France, also met with French president Jacques Chirac last month. Asked which leader he preferred, the diplomatic Parker said, ``I liked them both. Remember, I'm 50-50.''

Kori Ellis
01-14-2005, 01:14 AM
I look at Tony as French. The details that he has a mother from Amsterdam and U.S. father is one thing...plus he was born in Belgium...but let's face it, Tony grew up in France, he went to school there, attended the INSEP, played for PBR, and now is a part owner for PBR, he plays for the French National Team while not playing in the NBA. He would have played for France if they had qualified for the Olympics.

I think of him as French for the same reasons. He is also introduced at Spurs games as "number 9, from Paris ... Tony Parker." He very much considers himself somewhat French at the least.

Solid D
01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
not everyone in the US hates the French just like not everyone around the world hates Americans. Although I doubt Alvarez actually knows its 100% for sure, without a doubt, absolutely positively an anti-french bias (if you have actual proof, I would be interested in seeing it) but he did make a very good point....the majority of fans don't care about a players nationality just how they play....If their is a bias, its team bias....most fans vote for their own teams players. I don't know the exact breakdown but I am pretty sure the majority of the people who voted for Rasho were Spurs fans.

Mikey, I agree with you that not everyone in the US hates the French. I disagree with the notion that the majority of fans don't care about nationality, just how they play. A quick look at one of the headlines of the day leads me to think otherwise.

Yao leads Shaq by 70,000 in All-Star voting

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/allstar/2005-01-13-all-star-ballots_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

Yao leads all players in ballots cast with over 1,888,533 votes, through 1/13/05.

milkyway21
01-14-2005, 03:35 AM
Nash is the only pt.guard who's playing better than Tony right now. Tony can make it. His only competition is Bibby.

BTW, Yao leading all-star votes, overall? :lol No shock China has 1.3 billion population....sorry Brad, sorry Rasho, sorry Vlade :rolleyes

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Bibbys stats are better in almost every category, but i think tony is playing better at the present time

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I thought Tony was born in Belgium...

every different source gives me a different country.
Some sites say France, others say Belgium....

xcoriate
01-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah I think he was born in belgium too, not the netherlands as ducks suggested.

Solid's article that he posted certianly stated he was born in Bruges, Belgium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Parker

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 09:30 AM
But then the Spurs official website and NBA.com say he's from France....

no one knows where the F he's from.

bigzak25
01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
i pick manu for allstar because he has a slightly better shooting touch and more intangibles along with having alot more voter recognition. but i don't think either one will have enough votes to get past big names. they would have to have breakout offensive seasons, which frankly, i don't believe will ever happen unless one or the other becomes a sharp shooter. who knows who the coaches will pick to fill out the roster....chances of Pop being coach are what?

samikeyp
01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Fair point, Solid. I still have to go with my theory that fans side with their team's players first though.

Extra Stout
01-14-2005, 09:50 AM
If Tony or Manu goes to the All-Star game now, props go out to Ira Newble, a true American hero...

Supergirl
01-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Huh, I had just assumed that neither would get picked by coaches because Spurs are always too "boring" for the ASG. I hear a lot more buzz from sportswriters about Manu, but I hadn't thought about the Suns coach being the ASG coach, and his respect for Parker, so maybe that will influence it. Does JUST the West coach get to pick the other players, or is it the consensus of al the coaches?

McGrady and Kobe will get voted in, but Kobe will probably step down now that he's injured. I can't imagine the Suns coach (we're assuming that Pop is out of the running for West coach) will pick Nash, that leaves one guard spot open...He'd be smart to pick Tony, since then he'd have to PGs and two SGs. But no one ever picks the ASG players by what makes a good team.

Spurminator
01-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Starters:
C - Yao
F - Duncan
F - Garnett
G - TMac
G - Kobe

Bench:
G - Nash
G - Allen
G - Parker or Bibby
F - Nowitzki
F - Stoudemire
F - R. Lewis
F - Webber or Marion

Phenomanul
01-14-2005, 11:16 AM
:question

Wasn't D'Antoni the National Coach for Argentina????

You would think he has great respect for Manu...

Of, course I might be way off base....

Marcus Garvey
01-14-2005, 11:39 AM
That mark ass bitch boutons was exposed in this thread.

Solid D
01-14-2005, 12:13 PM
D'Antoni coached in Italy. Ruben Magnano (sp?) has been Argentina's NT coach.

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 12:16 PM
How long is Kobe gonna be out for... ?

I wish he had a serious injury so Manu could be an AS. :smokin :lol

Solid D
01-14-2005, 12:21 PM
How long is Kobe gonna be out for... ?

I wish he had a serious injury so Manu could be an AS. :smokin :lol

There will probably be lots of answers to this question over the next few weeks. It was reported that an MRI would be done today. Who knows for sure?

Kori Ellis
01-14-2005, 12:26 PM
As far as I know, Tony's mom was Dutch (Netherlands), his dad American. He was born in Belgium. But spent most of his life in France. He has citizenship in France and the U.S. I don't think he has any problem being called a "frenchman". He obviously loves France as he has invested his money into a basketball team there. The majority of time I see him when he's not on the basketball court he's talking a lot of French because he has a lot of French friends.

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 12:27 PM
As far as I know, Tony's mom was Dutch (Netherlands), his dad American. He was born in Belgium. But spent most of his life in France. .

I was thinking the same.

I thought he was born in Belgium, and I read in an article that he grew up in France.

I didn't know his mom was Dutch, and that his dad is American.

Rick Von Braun
01-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I found it funny that most casual fans try to assemble a team in a classical way (2PGs, 2SGs, 2SFs, 2PFs, 2C, 2 extra players, 1G and 1F), while historically (or at least in the last 3-4 years) this is not the case all the time. I'll concentrate on guards only.

East: 2PG (Kidd and Davis), 1G (Redd), 2G-F (Pierce and McGrady). The last two were registered originally with as F, but the NBA made them G-F to comply with the guard quota.

West: 2PG (Francis and Cassell), 3 SG (Bryant, Allen and Peja??) Peja was switched from F to G to comply with the guard quota.

East: 1PG (Kidd), 2SG (Jordan and Iverson), 2G-F (McGrady and Pierce). Idem 2004 for the last two.

West: 4PG (Francis, Marbury, Nash and Payton), 1SG (Bryant). Peja remained F because there were too many guards.

East: 1PG (Kidd), 3SG (Jordan, Iverson and Allen), 2G-F (McGrady and Pierce). I don't know why they switched them both, they needed only one of them to be a guard.

West: 3PG (Francis, Nash and Payton), 1SG (Bryant), 1 G-F (Wally). Wally boy was registered as F, but was switched to G-F.

East: 1PG (Marbury), 4SG (Iverson, Allen, Houston, Sprewell), 2G-F(McGrady and Stackhouse). TMac started as a guard, so they play with 7 guards that year.

West: 2PG (Kidd and Payton), 2 SG (Bryant and Finley). The West played with only 4 guards that year.

In other words, the rosters spots are chosen by pure preference (fans and coaches), and the NBA never hesitates to change labels and/or roster proportions if necessary.

Manu20
01-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I hope they both play at the All Star game but I think Parker has a better chance this year.

johnny00
01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't know the exact breakdown but I am pretty sure the majority of the people who voted for Rasho were Spurs fans.

Mike, I would change that "pretty sure" to "100% certain".... One co-worker of mine uses four different computers to cast in the Rasho vote.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Could Kobe's injury mean a spot in the ASG for manu or parker?

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Could Kobe's injury mean a spot in the ASG for manu or parker?
That's what I was wondering, but i think kobe will be healthy for this stupid ass ASG.

Rummpd
01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Kobe's injury could mean a possible step up in chance for either player. Nash deserves to move into starter but could then see either or Spur picked.

God I wish they had an international all star team play U.S. as I had said before.

Yao, Dirk (Tim ????as Virgin Islands let him honor that terrirority once), Nash, Parker, Gasol, Manu et al = could make a pretty sick team vs. U.S.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-14-2005, 02:55 PM
i know what u are saying about international vs. US all-stars, but i really dont think that would be fair to players who deserve to make the all-star game, i wouldnt mind seeing international vs. rookie/sophmores though.

samikeyp
01-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Mike, I would change that "pretty sure" to "100% certain".... One co-worker of mine uses four different computers to cast in the Rasho vote.

ahh..see? there is the proof! :)

waly.mg
01-14-2005, 03:29 PM
This players will be in Denver

Starters
G-Kobe: #4
G-T-Mac: #3
F-Garnett: #2
F-Duncan: #5
C-Yao: #1

Bench
G-Nash: #6
G-Allen: #7
F-Stojakovic: #14
F-Nowitzki: #8
C-Stoudemire: #10

And 2 Spots remaining for too many players like:
Anthony(Denver): #9
Manu: #11
Miller: #12
Bibby: #13
C-Webb: #15
Parker: #17

If The Coachs select a PG, Probably will be Bibby, not Parker

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 05:08 PM
If The Coachs select a PG, Probably will be Bibby, not Parker

Their stats are very similar, Bibby averages around 2 more points per game than Parker, but he also plays more minutes.
They are close on rebounds and assists.

Frenchise player
01-14-2005, 05:25 PM
This year Parker has better chances because he is having a good media coverage (the story with Eva Longoria even reach french newspapers!).
I don't really enjoy the All-star game, I would rather have another Spurs-Suns game. At least I would be sure to watch both of them.

Phenomanul
01-14-2005, 05:43 PM
i know what u are saying about international vs. US all-stars, but i really dont think that would be fair to players who deserve to make the all-star game, i wouldnt mind seeing international vs. rookie/sophmores though.

There's no reason why you couldn't have the two games... that way you incorporate more people and add to the festivities....

East vs. West
World vs. USA

ALVAREZ6
01-14-2005, 05:50 PM
There's no reason why you couldn't have the two games... that way you incorporate more people and add to the festivities....

East vs. West
World vs. USA
That would be cool.

Or they could have the east vs. west, and then Europe vs. World